Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Where does DMX rank among the hip hop greats?

Big Weirdo

That is a kind of an insult to the consistently great output of Outkast.

ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, Speakerboxx/TLB...that's a hell of a four album run.

Wow, I didn't even realize that Speakerboxxx was 10 years ago.

Also, that Idlewild album was complete garbage.

I think people discredit what DMX did to the rap game. Without DMX, Swizz Beats wouldn't have taken off. There would be no Ruff Ryders. No Eve. There was a large amount of music that existed because DMX's popularity help put them on the map.

I think people discredit what DMX did to the rap game. Without DMX, Swizz Beats wouldn't have taken off. There would be no Ruff Ryders. No Eve. There was a large amount of music that existed because DMX's popularity help put them on the map.

And it all sucks.

That is a kind of an insult to the consistently great output of Outkast.

ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia, Speakerboxx/TLB...that's a hell of a four album run.

You left off southernplayalisticcadilllacfunkymuzik

And it all sucks.

You left off southernplayalisticcadilllacfunkymuzik

We could do without all of those artists to be honest.  And Eve only blew up because of Dr. Dre.  Not exactly Chuck Berry opening to the door to rock n roll.

http://www.yorapper.com/who-is-the-biggest-selling-rapper-of-all-time/

Look who's number 9.  I know everybody has their opinion, but facts are facts.

Sales mean absolutely nothing.  The majority of people who buy music are suburban teenagers and young females who know little to nothing about hip hop.  Matter of fact, most popular music is absolute ****. 

Sales mean absolutely nothing.  The majority of people who buy music are suburban teenagers and young females who know little to nothing about hip hop.  Matter of fact, most popular music is absolute ****. 

Record sales mean nothing?  So you think that Tupac, Eminem, Jay-Z and Beastie Boys are ****, too? Since we're talking about Outkast, I'm reminded by Andre 3000 when he said "If y'all don't move your feet, then we don't eat." 

I was thinking of DMX this weekend as well when the movie Exit Wounds came on. It seem like every movie he starred in was a good movie. Cradle to the Grave, Romeo Must Die, and Belly were pretty good movies to me and DMX was not a bad actor even though he played the same character. I'll place him #1 above Method Man, Ice T, and LL Cool J as rappers turn actors.

Record sales mean nothing?  So you think that Tupac, Eminem, Jay-Z and Beastie Boys are ****, too? Since we're talking about Outkast, I'm reminded by Andre 3000 when he said "If y'all don't move your feet, then we don't eat." 

On the whole, record sales do not indicate talent.  There are exceptions to the rule, like the artists you mentioned.

Lil Wayne has sold more than anyone, and he sucks donkey ass.  Gucci Mane is a mongoloid.  Soulja Boy, Young Jeezy...the list is endless. 

Lil Wayne has sold more than anyone, and he sucks donkey ass.  Gucci Mane is a mongoloid.  Soulja Boy, Young Jeezy...the list is endless. 

Have to agree with you there.....I think the last year where I seriously followed hip hop was 2007...I just don't like most of the new artists out now.  J Cole is ok and some of Kendrick Lamar is pretty good (Thank you GTA V), but overall I'm just not impressed. 

If we are going by impact on Rap then Dre is like top 2 at worst. Chronic and Chronic 2 in addition to putting on Snoop Dog, NWA, being part of Death Row, signing IMO the greatest ever, Eminem from the depths of obscurity, 50 cent not to mention countless hits using his beats by every artist under the sun...

I don't think that is what people think of when the question is asked though. For my money, DMX had a solid early run but not enough meaningful lasting impact or truly "great" albums to put him anywhere in the discussion really. 

I thought DMX would get more love. He's clearly not the best but his passion for what he does comes through which I think is to be respected.

But I guess if you're not Slick Rick you're doing it wrong.

I will say that he brought the intensity on just about everything that he touched.

Slippin is one of my favorite tracks ever but it's still hard for me to place him near the top. He's probably a middle of the pack guy for me but he definitely wore out my cd player during my senior year of high school.

If we are going by impact on Rap then Dre is like top 2 at worst. Chronic and Chronic 2 in addition to putting on Snoop Dog, NWA, being part of Death Row, signing IMO the greatest ever, Eminem from the depths of obscurity, 50 cent not to mention countless hits using his beats by every artist under the sun...

I don't think that is what people think of when the question is asked though. For my money, DMX had a solid early run but not enough meaningful lasting impact or truly "great" albums to put him anywhere in the discussion really.

I will say this about Eminem, he fell off after The Eminem Show. Hard.

He's probably top 3 all time for me but Encore, Curtain Call, Relapse and to a lesser extent Recovery were not very good albums for Eminem's standards. Marshall Mathers 2 is pretty damn good though and I'm happy about that.

I'm not saying that DMX is anywhere close to Em but DMX had 3 great albums and then fell off as well.

Also, Kanye's first few albums were eaten alive by rich teenage kids and stupid high school chicks. So there's that. I definitely think that DMX is better than Kanye. 10 days out of 10. No way is Graduation, or Drop Out or Homecoming or whatever his "great" first album was better than It's Dark and Hell is Hot. Nope.

Yelling about ****ing corpses gets old fast, unfortunately for DMX.  But he cashed out when he was relevant.

Don't forget The D.O.C.

Also, Kanye's first few albums were eaten alive by rich teenage kids and stupid high school chicks. So there's that. I definitely think that DMX is better than Kanye. 10 days out of 10. No way is Graduation, or Drop Out or Homecoming or whatever his "great" first album was better than It's Dark and Hell is Hot. Nope.

Kanye West is wack and always has been wack.  He's made some good beats, even great beats, here and there, but for the most part he makes ****ty pop beats imo.  And he has never been even an average rapper.  Ever.

Its a mixture of a tough crowd here and people who smoked more than DMX to not consider the man top 30 hell some said not even top 50 WTF.

I keep hearing how he dropped off after the 3rd album **** Biggie had 2 good albums (yes life was cut short), and NAS other than Illmattic the rest of his **** was very lacking for awhile. Ememim had 2 great albums Slim Shady and Marshall LP then his **** went down hard so is he not in the top 30?

There was NOONE and I mean NO ONE that brought the passion that DMX did when he was on top, Its Dark and Hell is Hot is CRAZY! Flesh of my Flesh Blood of my blood was HOT! Then there was X was good and The Great Depression was also good, everything after that I agree the drugs knocked him right off the map but don't discredit the mans work, your talking about 7 years of being the top MC.

I am by no way saying he is better than Biggie cause he is NOT or even Em I was just using them to the only had 3 good album claim most everyone replyed with to knock the man down. DMX is a top 10 MC imo and shouldn't make it out the top 20 from most peoples list. When he put on a show the man gave it everything he had, the guy lived the life pretty much he rapped about his entire career.

Archived