Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Coverage & Interactive Game Day Thread: 2013 Redskins vs Eagles (Final)

NoLeafClover

we gave up 3 first rounders to get another first rounders...math tell me we only lost 2 first rounders.  so please explain to me that how we really lost 3 first rounders? 

Where is this lost coming from all i have been saying is we traded 3 for 1.  When you make a trade it is normally one for one well when you add 2 additional 1 st picks its now 3 for 1.  Yes the Rams only got 2 more additional first rounders than what they had, but we still gave 3 players for 1.  Actually we gave 4 players 3 1st rounders and 1 2nd for RG3. 

Again, people are missing the main point with Griffin.  Go ahead and compare him to Wilson or Kapernick.  The difference is that those teams did not spend three 1sts and a 2nd on their QBs.  They have built a team around these guys. RG3 is not Andrew Luck and he is not Aaron Rogers; he's not the type of guy to make the team much better than they already are. Last season was about his 4-3 speed and his recklessness, that wasn't going to last.   He's nowhere even in the stratosphere of these upper echelon QBs and I've seen enough to be pretty sure that he will never be.  He may work on his accuracy and be better about knowing when to run, etc.  He may become a pretty good QB when all is said and done.  But it's clear he lacks the QB processing speed and pocket awareness of the great ones.  They show these traits even early on when they make mistakes of inexperience.  

I really hope RG3 proves me wrong, I will be the first to admit being wrong about him and eat crow.  

Yeah but what do you do if you're Shanny and crew? Squirrel away the picks on other positions knowing Rex is gonna be your starter. Try to build a team around Rex and expect to win? I just don't see how you pass up the opportunity to get a franchise QB knowing Rex is the next available option. Let's play devil's advocate. Say you have the chance to move into second pick. Indy falls in love w/ RGIII and Luck is there. What do you do? Besides Shanny and crew can't sit on the sidelines and wait for the cap to pass. They still have to put a team on the field.

Huh?  Where in the world did I ever say I didn't want to move up and take RGIII or Luck with the 2nd overall pick? You need to go back and read the entire argument (see post 2952 where NC quotes me.  And you quoted my response to his post #2956).   I initially asked DCkey since he was questioning all the picks we gave up in the draft for RGIII what he would have done in that position given the knowledge of the salary cap hit, etc.  

Then NC stated that the move to move up in the 2012 draft was made prior to knowing cap space was taken away, which I posted that it wasn't.  I think you need to question DCkey, not me. 

I think people are forgetting that this guy is in his SECOND YEAR with virtually no off-season training so these growing pains should be expected from him. Griffin is far from who I am most disappointed in this season TBH. He will be fine.

I agree. Unfortunately, in today's world, because "Everybody else does X," No one has time for patience.

Guys like Big Ben, Rivers, Eli, etc... All of them took a few seasons before they "Got it." Having a great team to grow into helps tremendously as well... Unfortunately, Griffin does nt have that luxury.

"Redskins fans are notorious for running away when the team sucks."

Given how putrid the team has generally been since 1993, battered fan syndrome is not unreasonable.

There's also a little bit of entitlement  in there. Some feel that they're owed success, and sustained winning, as if it grows on trees (just ask Chad Dukes) when in reality, many other franchises have had it worse than us.

Winning is hard (I think about half of the fanbase actually understands this, among other things). Even when you think you have the formula, injuries, or simply other teams getting better, can do you in. A lot of recently successful teams like the Colts and Patriot sucked for DECADES before they got really good.

So many fans want to act like 3 year olds looking for their Binky when they don't get what they feel they deserve. We deserve jack ****. This is a topsy turvy league. You aren't on top of the heap too long before someone kicks you in the nuts and you slide back down into mediocrity. There's plenty of room for things to get a lot worse, if they don't improve in a hurry.

Griffin sucked for the bulk of the game, but he's still just a 2nd year player who missed his entire 2nd offseason. Also I think he's still sub-100%. He's not the same guy who broke a 60+ yard run against Minny last year; doesn't have that speed. The errant throws we saw in this game just didn't happen much last year. Matt Ryan also regressed in his 2nd year, and that was without missing the whole offseason due to injury.

Hope Reed & Hank can play next week.

Where is this lost coming from all i have been saying is we traded 3 for 1.  When you make a trade it is normally one for one well when you add 2 additional 1 st picks its now 3 for 1.  Yes the Rams only got 2 more additional first rounders than what they had, but we still gave 3 players for 1.  Actually we gave 4 players 3 1st rounders and 1 2nd for RG3. 

Imagine if we would have followed the path of the Colts, loosing a "battle" in order to win the "war". We would have drafted Robert and kept all our draft picks ;) . Next year we're going to have around $25 millions in cap space enough to sign guys like Britton, Veeldher, Byrd and hopefully get a stud WR in the second round.

Imagine if we would have followed the path of the Colts, loosing a "battle" in order to win the "war". We would have drafted Robert and kept all our draft picks ;) . Next year we're going to have around $25 millions in cap space enough to sign guys like Britton, Veeldher, Byrd and hopefully get a stud WR in the second round.

Well, there no more what ifs.  Just what nows.  Everything starts up front at the oline.  And every single season since we drafted Samuels with the #3 pick overall (with the exception of 2010 #4 pick on Trent) we have neglected drafting o-line and building a stout offensive line that can actually protect the QB.  Most drafts we didn't even draft any at all and all the other drafts that we did, all were late round picks (6th or 7th picks were the majority, one in the 5th, one in the 3rd).

The only ones still on the team are Gettis (5th Rd), Compton (6th rd), LeRibeus (3rd rd) and Williams (1st rd), only one starting is Williams.  Because of RGIIIs mobility, he was able to mask the defects in the oline, and with the zone blocking scheme in the running game, those guys are fine.  In the passing game, they cannot create an effective pocket for the QB to have time to throw the ball.  Hell, why do you think so many passes are being knocked down and yesterday, batted up and caught for an INT.  

With RGIII not running as much and needing to stay in the pocket, we are doomed.  There is no pocket and because of that, he can't take advantage of exploiting the #32 pass defense in the NFL.  

We can't keep addressing one of the most needed positions (offensive line) via late round picks and other peoples cast offs via FA.  Those guys play hard, but they are just not good enough down after down to pass block for a QB playing traditionally in the pocket.

Blame it on RGIII not being the same as last season (injury), blame it on the play calling, whatever.  But the facts are facts, and its easy to see in the 3rd/4th quarters when we are playing from behind and teams know we need to throw the ball.  I'm not saying they are garbage by any means, and they do at times allow enough time, but its not consistently.  People want to know why on 3-10 or 4-10 our QB gets sacked pushing for a game winning drive..........well that's exactly why, the other team pressures and they break down in pass blocking.  

Huh?  Where in the world did I ever say I didn't want to move up and take RGIII or Luck with the 2nd overall pick? You need to go back and read the entire argument (see post 2952 where NC quotes me.  And you quoted my response to his post #2956).   I initially asked DCkey since he was questioning all the picks we gave up in the draft for RGIII what he would have done in that position given the knowledge of the salary cap hit, etc.  

Then NC stated that the move to move up in the 2012 draft was made prior to knowing cap space was taken away, which I posted that it wasn't.  I think you need to question DCkey, not me.

My bad, I was just throwing the scenario out there. I didn't intend to attack either. I was more interested in the hindsight/ Monday morning Quarterbacking. Would we still do it?

Thank You somebody gets it............................

Yeah, the point is not how many picks we gave up but how many we used on one player. In this case 4.

We used 3 first and 1 second round pick for one player.

4 high round players for one player.

1+1+1+2 = 4 players

That's 1 player for the picks of 4.

Yes, I am trying to start a filibuster. ;)

Well, there no more what ifs.  Just what nows.  Everything starts up front at the oline.  And every single season since we drafted Samuels with the #3 pick overall (with the exception of 2010 #4 pick on Trent) we have neglected drafting o-line and building a stout offensive line that can actually protect the QB.  Most drafts we didn't even draft any at all and all the other drafts that we did, all were late round picks (6th or 7th picks were the majority, one in the 5th, one in the 3rd).

I get your point, we also need a stud WR for Robert. Which OL do you like in this upcoming draft ?

Yeah, the point is not how many picks we gave up but how many we used on one player. In this case 4.

We used 3 first and 1 second round pick for one player.

4 high round players for one player.

1+1+1+2 = 4 players

That's 1 player for the picks of 4.

Yes, I am trying to start a filibuster. ;)

Both of them are right. They are just quantifying it in different terms.

One is saying the net amount of players lost from the trade was 3.

One is saying the total amount of players we could have had was 4.

They are each correct. You can't have one without the other.

Both of them are right. They are just quantifying it in different terms.

One is saying the net amount of players lost from the trade was 3.

One is saying the total amount of players we could have had was 4.

They are each correct. You can't have one without the other.

Agreed, but we also could have turned those 4 picks into 6 or 7 high round players (starters).

Archived