Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Face It. Our Defense Is Slow . . .

Newera

Our defense is so unathletic it's crazy.  A bunch of lumberers.  Two games and we let guys like Rivers and Ponder run roughshod on us.  We can't get em.   When such quarterbacks can outrun and  out elude your front four and much less your front seven it's bad.   We have the worst front for rushing the passer. Particulary our interior linemen.  They get no pressure. Yet, teams pressure the hell out of us up the middle.  Kerrigan is our best rusher.  Orakpo is proving to be a one trick pony rusher. He's not as good as he thinks he is.  Not nearly as havoc causing as he should be based on when he was drafted.  He needs to do a better job of selling the holds. He probably is not going to be worth the money he's going to want in the offseason.  I would give the money to Hall.   

Kerrigan has talent but only really bull rushes.  Fletcher is finally done.  Riley has talent but is slow. Not a fit for the new league.  Tightends have been killing us for two years now. Both need to be replaced.  And I love Fletch.  But father time has finally caught up with him.   He has always had a dominent pressence on our defense. Dude was everywhere.  No more.  Getting hurt more.  Probably shouldn't play, but once to retire not missing a game, I bet.

Shanahan is proving he is nothing but a glorified offensive coordinator.  He knows offensive talent. He knows how to scheme an offense. His offenses are always one of the best. However, he does not know defensive talent.  His defense is what got him fired in Denver, and could be what get's him fired in D.C. Or certainly not renewed.   You can see we are on the verge of building an offensive juggernaut.  That's incredibly exciting.  Little left to be desired on the other side of the ball.  As obnoxious as Rex Ryan is, he does know defensive talent.  

If anything, we need to increase our defensive speed.  The league is changing.  Get guys that can run.  It's been the philosophy of the Niners, Seahawks defense. Size and speed.  Even the Rams have a better defense then we do. They really need a quarterback and they would be good.  (They need Manziel).   We are doing it with smoke and mirrors.  They make our offense have to be perfect in order to win.

Weakness:  Interior linemen get no pressure.  Can't get off blocks.  Riley and Fletch gonna have to be replaced next year with faster players. Rak probably not worth the money.

That's why I want him gone.  After 4 years, our secondary is still patch work.  Amerson looks like to be the only keeper(meaning someone i can still see here in 3-4 years).  We clearly knew London was on his last legs but continue to resign him when he should be finding his replacement.  Although I love Reed Doughty, how many years will we see him play safety?  In the NFL today, you need 2 safeties who can cover the field.  

Our D is not only slow but they are not very disciplined either. Tackling is at times horrible and we are not very athletic. D Hall surprisingly has played pretty well, Amerson has shown signs, Kerrigan started hot but has disappeared, Orakpo just doesn't show up at times during games, Coefield is the only real consistent performer on the line. We need athletic linebackers and secondary help badly and I am sick of 3-4 defense it has shown me nothing in 4 years. Our entire D needs an overhaul including those coaching it.

The d isnt that slow. The problem is Has continues to play the dbs 10 yards off the wrs and drop back in zone, he has no idea what hes doing. Its the same thing every year. Its getting ridiculous.

That makes me SICK. The way we were playing their WR's, you'd think we were playing against Megatron and Andre Johnson.

I believe the poor tackling is the primary problem...

We would be seeing a lot more 3 and outs if 1st defenders actually tackled their target.

I don't ever remember seeing our tackling this bad..... ever.

I agree Pez.  In my lifetime I don't think I have seen a Redskins defense all around worse than this one.

Darrell Green was still the fastest in the NFL when he retired at 41...

Green was plenty fast towards the end and I'm sure London Fletcher can move pretty fast in a straight line too.  What they lose is agility.  They can't change direction as quickly as they use to.  Because of this, Fletch is missing a lot of tackles and is getting beat in coverage.

Im past trying to figure out why this defense sucks so bad.. we have talent that doesn't show up at times and blatant errors.  Id say Has holds a lot of responsibility but then we have some age issues with vets and rookies alike.  While the offense didn't do much in the 2nd half, an average defense would have won that game.

Oh how I miss the days of having a top 10 defense.

It's been stated repeatedly but I concur:  we're thin in talent on defense, but a better coordinator would mask some of this stuff.  Haslett has shown signs of being able to do that (the run at the end of last year) but isn't consistent enough.  I've never really been a fan of the 3-4, but that's just personal flavoring.

Archived