Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok, So I'm Wrong About Cam Newton

shangster

those that have a brain never expected this.

That team sucks. Look at their WRs and RBs. Defense is poor too, and they got a rockhead coach in Mike Rivera.

Dave Shula is their offensive coordinator as well. How did this guy get that job?

Im not saying Cam is blameless, but no one is making miracles out of that team.

and comparing dude to Luck? Luck's team has talent at WR. Offensive line stinks and their run game is mediocre, but they got receivers. Their defense is solid too, and they have a good organization structure. I have no idea why people type stuff like that as if it makes sense.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Those teams had pretty equal talent when each guy got there. Carolina had the 10th best defense last year. Cam has also had Chud and Mike McCoy as offensive coaches. He just sucks.

Luck took over a 2-14 team. Has has two different head coaches. No o-line. No running game. Cam has regressed each year. Maybe he shouldn't have spent his summer at Auburn chasing the co- eds and spent more time improving his craft.

As a fantasy football addict who owns Steve Smith and NFL Sunday Ticket for the last few seasons, I have seen a lot of Panthers games. Almost all of which have been terrible to watch. Their coaching staff, offensively atleast, is horrible. Also how did they not upgrade their receivers at all this off-season?! Cam just doesn't seem to have the throwing ability to become an elite QB, but a lot of that could be due to his coaches and his receivers. He has a solid receiver in Smith and a solid TE in Olson yet never really gets them involved or in a rhythm. Obviously I'd love to see him with different coaches and receivers before fully judging him, but as of now Cam is a major disappointment in my mind. 

So after Cam had one of the best rookie seasons of any QB in NFL history, you expected the Panthers to suck 2 years later?

of course not, but you said they should be contending.

and there are more reasons as to why they suck than just Cam.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Those teams had pretty equal talent when each guy got there. Carolina had the 10th best defense last year. Cam has also had Chud and Mike McCoy as offensive coaches. He just sucks.

Mike McCoy never coached Cam Newton

Why exactly should I be impressed by Rob Chudzinski?

And the Colts had one terrible year after winning ten straight years for a decade. The Panthers had sucked for about 3 straight seasons. Get your facts in order.

Luck took over a 2-14 team. Has has two different head coaches. No o-line. No running game. Cam has regressed each year. Maybe he shouldn't have spent his summer at Auburn chasing the co- eds and spent more time improving his craft.

the Colts were 2-14 because they had guys starting at QB who would never be a QB in the NFL. They called Kerry Collins out of retirement.

And Cam didnt even regress last year, lol. He had about the same numbers. C'mon dude, you got an agenda.

As a fantasy football addict who owns Steve Smith and NFL Sunday Ticket for the last few seasons, I have seen a lot of Panthers games. Almost all of which have been terrible to watch. Their coaching staff, offensively atleast, is horrible. Also how did they not upgrade their receivers at all this off-season?! Cam just doesn't seem to have the throwing ability to become an elite QB, but a lot of that could be due to his coaches and his receivers. He has a solid receiver in Smith and a solid TE in Olson yet never really gets them involved or in a rhythm. Obviously I'd love to see him with different coaches and receivers before fully judging him, but as of now Cam is a major disappointment in my mind.

exactly.

Please do tell :)

Well, as I'm sure you know, ES is full of opinions based on looking at the box score, stats or fantasy points scored. Well maybe not so much the last one, but then again .... Very few opinions or criticisms of players are supported with any analysis of the player from a physical perspective with examples from games.

Very few of us are qualified to really break down a player from a technique perspective or an X's and O's perspective - but it would be nice every now and then when someone starts a thread saying such and such player is a disappointment or not living up to their contract and or draft status that they provided some analysis which goes beyond raw stats with little or no context.

Sorry by the way if your comment was ironic, but it's probably worth fleshing out what. I'm pretty sure KDawg was driving at in his post and request.

The Panthers absolutely stink from the top down. Cam Newton is poorly coached and has a poorly constructed roster around him. Jerry Richardson went cheap when hiring a new coach in 2011 and kept GM Marty Hurney for another year who made some terrible personnel decisions outside of drafting Newton. Ron Rivera was just a bad hire as a coach. Newton needed an Offensive Head Coach who would construct a viable system around him and have input on getting the right kind of players on the Offense. This team wasted a 3rd round draft pick on trying to turn Armanti Edwards from a Option QB into a WR. He just got cut the other day. They also have poured a bunch of money into two RB's and a FB while only having one viable WR and TE. The O-Line is also a wreck.

What if Cam Newton was playing for the 49ers? What do we think his record would be then?

Newton was a 1st overall pick. Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick. Their expectations aren't even close. Were the Colts and Redskins last year stacked teams when two rookie led them to the playoff?

2012:

57.7% -----3,869 yards----18 TDs---12 INTs----86.2 Passer Rating

741 rushing yards---8 TDs---49 first downs

You were saying?

That's great, except most of those stats came in the second half where his team were already eliminated from the playoff.

Go look at his stats in the first half of last season and tell me if there's a correlation with his team losing.

The Panthers absolutely stink from the top down. Cam Newton is poorly coached and has a poorly constructed roster around him. Jerry Richardson went cheap when hiring a new coach in 2011 and kept GM Marty Hurney for another year who made some terrible personnel decisions outside of drafting Newton. Ron Rivera was just a bad hire as a coach.

I agree with you that he's not in an ideal situation. But great qbs are expected to stand out from the crowd, even if his team is losing. He was a 1st overall pick, and so his expectation as different.

All I know is this- Dude is tall. I worked the democratic convention down in Charlotte last year at the stadium. The Panthers' practice field is a couple blocks away. I saw the team going to and from practice many times. He's the biggest guy on their squad.

It means Cam didn't play well in the first half last year, which caused his team any shot at the playoffs. He only performed when there was nothing on the line. Pretty easy to tell what he was saying.

oh I knew what he meant, it was rhetorical question. I thought that was easy to figure out.

The problem is that it is a ridiculous statement. There are two teams on a football field, not just one. Some of you dont understand that. That there is another team that plays hard on the other side of the ball as well. Its a banal statement that really showed a hate of a player more than anything analytical or insightful.

Well, as I'm sure you know, ES is full of opinions based on looking at the box score, stats or fantasy points scored. Well maybe not so much the last one, but then again .... Very few opinions or criticisms of players are supported with any analysis of the player from a physical perspective with examples from games.

Very few of us are qualified to really break down a player from a technique perspective or an X's and O's perspective - but it would be nice every now and then when someone starts a thread saying such and such player is a disappointment or not living up to their contract and or draft status that they provided some analysis which goes beyond raw stats with little or no context.

Sorry by the way if your comment was ironic, but it's probably worth fleshing out what. I'm pretty sure KDawg was driving at in his post and request.

I agree, even though I am guilty of it sometimes. Football is called "The Unknowable Game" for a reason. Because there are so many factors involved in team success/failure, there really is no way to actually 100% pinpoint the issue, and who is really at fault, without already being involved with the game of football somehow. or talking to coaches.players, and studying film. It's not like baseball or basketball, where things are easier to understand. It;s not a game where you can play Madden, fantasy football, or watch ESPN, and truly know what you are talking about.

oh I knew what he meant, it was rhetorical question. I thought that was easy to figure out.

The problem is that it is a ridiculous statement. There are two teams on a football field, not just one. Some of you dont understand that. That there is another team that plays hard on the other side of the ball as well. Its a banal statement that really showed a hate of a player more than anything analytical or insightful.

So you're basically saying that wins and losses don't matter? Lol Widdle Cammie should get a trophy just for competing?

^ No doubt Cam would have a better record if he played on a team with great defense, but he still needs to show more improvement.

I think everybody expected the Panthers to be serious contenders by this point. Cam has had his share of good games, but he hasn't elevated his team to the level that it looked like he was going to initially. They went 6-10 his rookie year, which was a big improvement, but 2 years later they still look like that kind of team and Cam more or less looks like the same QB. Sam Bradford is in a similar boat.

Meanwhile several other young QBs in the last few years have not only looked impressive from an individual standpoint, but immediately elevated their teams. Off the top of my head, Ryan, RG3, Luck, Wilson, Dalton, and Flacco were all drafted by teams coming off sub-.500 seasons, and they all took their teams to the playoffs their rookie year. (Sanchez too but...LOL)They also seem to have genuinely improved their teams. The bar for young QBs is higher than ever and Cam isn't quite hitting it.

I think this post perfectly sum up what is going on with Cam and the state of the Panthers right now.  I think even their most die-hard fans would agree with this post.

No Cam Newton thread is complete without recognizing the mans greatest contribution to football fans.  That being this quote:

"What happens when you take a lion out of the safari and try to take him to your place of residence and make him a house pet? It ain't going to happen. That's the type of person that I am. I'm that lion. The house that I'm in is somewhat of a tarnished house where losing is accepted. But I'm trying to change that, whether I'm going to have to turn that house into a safari, or I'm just going to have to get out of that house. I'm not saying I'm trying to leave this place. I'm just trying to get everybody on my level."

That is spectacular.  Please take a moment to reread that and think on it.  Lions can never be house pets... powerful stuff.  

Moving on, here is the problem with Cammy Cam:  he loses too damn much.  His defense is good, damn good so far this season.  Without looking it up how many points are they allowing this season?  The answer is 14.5 (see you didn't need to look it up).  Is his running game horrible?  No it's not.  If you give a very good QB those tools they are going to win you a lot of football games.  

Enough with the excuses, if he's really a lion set on converting a tarnished house into a safari then he needs to win some games. 

These threads follow the same tedious pattern where people post false claims and when those claims are proven wrong they just throw out another false claim.

No honest football fan can look at Cam's production over his early career and not be impressed.

So what are the claims about Newton that you saw in this thread that are false?

Nobody is denying his production in his first two seasons. However, this is his third season. He should not be given a pass for playing bad/not winning games just because he exceeded people's expection of him in his rookie year.

And if by production you mean getting a lot of yards, then yes, he's pretty good at that. Wins, on the other hand, are another story.

Cam, based on his performance so far this season, is still playing like his rookie season.

That quote about him referencing himself to a lion in a residential house is ridiculous. This is why his tenure in Carolina will not be as long as one might think. Dude has no leadership quality whatsoever.

Is that why I keep reminding you that Cam is 14-22 as the starter, chief lol.

if you agreed with a poster who said, "except most of those stats came in the second half where his team were already eliminated from the playoff," then you are ignoring records. You are also ignoring that the other tedoes not want to lose as well. Its a stupid comment.

You also completely

Like I said before, the Panthers suck. Cam hasnt played well, but he has a rockhead of a coach and even worse a legacy hire in Mike Shula as Offensive Coordinator.

Cam has flaws, but that situation stinks.

Archived