Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ok, So I'm Wrong About Cam Newton

shangster

Smitty-

You talking about Roman Harper? He's savvy and smart but the dude can't run.

Captain M can ball, he's on a higher tier of play then Cason.

I'm with you on Mitchell being just a guy though.

His lack willingness and ability as a tackler was masked by your front 7. Any time you can plug in UDFA Safety into your line up and not miss a beat your front 7 is taking care if business.

Speaking of Harper/Decoud/Cason; DB might be an option in the 1st.

I think Ed Dickson is a very underrated player; his production suffered because Cam Cameron didnt know how to use double TEs and Flacco and Pitta literally became best friends on and off the field.

Captain sucks. He's like 4'11. He's a very good nickel back in the slot but he cannot play outside. And he got paid big money by Minnesota. He got abused playing outside against big WRs with Carolinas front 7. He'll struggle even more in Minnesota. Cason will be better than Captain this year because of the defenses around them and because he has better size.

Harper will play SS. He doesn't have to be fast, just a sure tackler, which he is. Fans loved Mitchell but I didn't really care for him. He was a horrible tackler. He had several costly personal fouls. He was always more interested in just jacking somebody up than tackling.

Decoud isn't good at tackling, he's a actually rather bad at it, but he's an exceptional ball hawk. Playing alongside Harper behind that front 7 will allow him to ball hawk and make a lot of plays.

In my opinion Harper/Decoud/Cason are better than Mitchell/Munnerlyn. Then look what each player got paid. Gettleman did a great job replacing those guys with veterans who are just as good and fit together very well, and only cost a fraction of what the departing players were paid.

Munnerlyn- 3 yr, $11.3mil, $4.5mil guaranteed

Mitchell- 5 yr, $25mil, $5.3mil guaranteed

Cason- 1 yr, $795k, $65k guaranteed

Decoud- 2 yr, $3.5mil, $500k guaranteed

Harper- 2 yr, $2.5mil, $0 guaranteed

Media just like making hyperbole out of anything to make a story. Looking at Carolina rationally you'd see they've done a remarkable job replacing guys for peanuts instead of over paying average players. LT Gross is the only key player they have lost. The rest were just role guys.

Dickson could very well become a big time player. Cam was lethal with 2 TE sets as a rookie. He's a big red zone target for Cam & gives them a lot of flexibility alongside Olsen.

I'm not talking media nor money.

I'm talking from what I see. (and can we drop the whole player X sucks bit? it quickly gets tiresome, i won't do that to you can I get the same?) We're just 2 guys talkin a lil football here

If bigger means better then sure Cason is better but that would be the only area....

I'm with you on Mitchell I said the same in my previous post

Decoud-don't know much about don't watch much Falcons anymore, but if you say he doesn't tackle well that is a major sticking point with me...

But again being that Lester an UDFA stepped in and played reasonably well all things considered the defense isn't going to be hurt too much by losing Mitchell regardless of what happens at safety but Munnerlyn/Cason we see it differently.

Wharton was more then a role player, dude could play.

On the WRs I think right now you're at best treading water on a unit that was average last year. The draft will do a long way to determining the quality of your WR corps.

Which WRs do you like in the draft?

Wharton was phenomenal years ago but he was pretty bad last year. I can't decide if he's done or he's just waiting until mid summer to sign so he doesn't have to go thru off season workouts.

I don't really watch college sports and I don't consider myself a talent evaluator. Director of Scouting Don Gregory has a great track record in the first round and I think Ricky Proehl is the best WR coach in the game. He's been visiting WRs all year long. They'll find their guy and I'm confident whoever they pick at WR will become a good player.

From what they're saying the Panthers are extremely high on Cody Latimer, Jordan Matthews, & Eric Ebron and expect one of them to be the pick unless one of the top 4 OTs somehow falls in their lap. Said the Panthers would be happy with any of those 3 as they see them all being very good pros but they would much, much rather get one of the top tackles. They view protecting their QB as the #1 priority. Said the Panthers feel the gap between those receivers and guys behind them is a big dropoff, while they feel the talent at OT is very close between late 1st prospects and guys who will be available in later rounds.

If I had to choose pick #28...

1- top 4 OT (all projected top 15)

2- TE Ebron (projected top 20)

3- WR Latimer

4- WR Matthews

5- OT Moses

That would be my wish list. First two are very unlikely, but so was getting Hardy in the 6th rd, Kuechly at 9, & Lotulelei at 14. They were all projected top 3 picks at some point, and should've all went top 3 in hindsight.

Regardless the first 4 picks will probably all be WR & OT unless a top CB or DE free falls to the 3-4 rd. Yes, DE. Johnson has a massive contract and can't see them keeping him & Hardy beyond this season.

I think this draft is deeper at WR then OT, I really like Matthews and you might could get him in the 2nd round.

I don't think Latimer is worth a 1st round pick or 2nd round pick with the depth at WR in this draft.

I didn't think he would be either but he does have excellent size, speed, strength & very good hands.

Like I said, I feel Proehl is the best in the business at evaluating and teaching WRs and if he's confident in Latimer in the first then I'm on board.

If Carolina can get a quality day 1 starter at OT & WR then I'll be very happy.

Harper > Mikell

Decoud > Mitchell

Cason > Munnerlyn

O line was patch work last year. They'll add a few OTs in the draft and get back a few OGs who were hurt last year.

WR will be drafted very early. WRs they brought in are just as good as what they had last year.

Does Carolina have weaknesses? Definitely. They had glaring holes last year. The roster will be improved from last year. People are only focusing on their secondary and receiving core. Everyone seems to forget they have a stable of running backs, elite young QB, & all time great front 7.

Deangelo is past his prime. Stewart is always, always hurt. Barner is unproven and Tolbert can't carry more than 10 times a game. I gave them props for the front 7, but I can't imagine they get the same production from the patchwork secondary like they did last year. Like I said, I think the offense takes a step back. That will put a lot more pressure on the defense.

Cam just had surgery, so he'll be behind on the offseason workouts. Timing could be off with the new stable of receivers. We went through that with a Griffin missing valuable time rehabbing. Yes, they have a stable of runningbacks, but this is a passing league and you can't play offense like the 72 Dolphins. They won 12 last year; I think they regress to no better than 9 wins, possibly lower. Saints will be good, Falcons will be back and the Bucs have improved. Panthers will put up tough games, but I think they regressed in talent this year. Gettleman still has the stench of Hurney to clean up. You just DON'T pay RBs a big chunk of the cap.

And I think they should make offensive line a priority. It's a mess right now and take a lesson from us. Keep your QB upright. Yes Cam is a bigger man, but beatings take a toll on any QB. Every Superman has a kryptonite.

• 4 weeks later...

Benjamin is gonna be huge ;) for their passing game.

Going from what a 5'9 target to a 6'5 target should do a lot to offset the difference in experience and route running.

Ed Dickson adds more size to the receiving group too. Hopefully Shula has a plan and knows how to make use of both in the passing game. Being a Washington fan we've had 2 good TEs several times yet never managed to use them together. (Cooley/Davis, Davis/Reed)

There are other big WRs having success Vincent Jackson, Brandon Marshall, Marques Colston there are others that I can't think of right now.

I think Benjamin had talent though. He reminds me of Colston-Boldin-Fitzgerald.

Not the fastest WRs in the world but they have a knack for making plays even when "covered".

The question is will Shula be creative enough? Because if they line Benjamin up at the X WR and expect him to "win" then he'll probably struggle because they don't have any other WRs threats. They gotta move him around like they did at FSU and the same way those WRs I mentioned above are used..X, Z and in the slot and in bunch formations.

Archived