Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Does It Mean To Be A "true Fan"?

Hanzo the Razor

Here is my story. 

I was born and raised in Southern Maryland.  Washington Redskins country.  Sure, now we have some who switched allegiances to the Ravens when they came to town, but most of those people were casual fans to begin with.  The die-hards here still support the Redskins.  My family is made up of predominately Washington Redskins fans.

I became a fan during Gibbs 1.0.  The first football memory I still have at age 38 is John Riggins "70 Chip" run.  I grew up in the era when Washington Redskins football was a force of nature.  A machine...when one year to the next you knew the team would either be contending for or winning the Super Bowl.  During that era, the Redskins made it to four Super Bowls, and won three of them.  Would I still be the fan I am today, if that era as we remember it never happened?  Was it all about the wins?  I don't think so, because if it was I would have bolted long ago.

For me, being a Redskins fan was also about bonding with family and friends.  Having something in common, and following in the footsteps of those in my family who supported the team before me.

Being a true fan?  I think it means your week is little tougher to get through when your team loses.  It weighs on you.  You feel bad.  Others talking bad about your team makes you angry, even if you try not to show it.  It's like talking bad about your family, because for some reason you have decided to identify so stongly with the team.  I believe people do that for different reasons. 

When they win?  Euphoria  You are on a high all week until the next game.  You feel lighter on your feet.  Problems don't seem as big.  The sky is the limit.

but being a true fan means you still support the team no matter how bad things get.  Not that you can't be critical, but you don't just throw in the towel and switch allegiances. 

Pj.... They had guys named Luis Cruz and Travis Iskawa playing this year. It was hell.

Cut me some slack lol

The Yankees are headed to 80s level suckage in the next few seasons

Jeffrey Mayer.

I'd also argue that you don't HATE the Giants as much as a DC sports fan would... because you look at this guy above as a hero.

Jeffrey Mayer.

I'd also argue that you don't HATE the Giants as much as a DC sports fan would... because you look at this guy above as a hero.

what does Maier have to do with the Giants?? You are reaching really hard my dude.

And no he's not a hero, the Yankees would have won that series either way

They were the better team.

Did he suit up in a Kerry Collins costume and crush the 'skins/gnats in those earlier 2000s games I went to? I'd think not.

I hate the Giants because they are the Giants.

what does Maier have to do with the Giants?? You are reaching really hard my dude.

And no he's not a hero, the Yankees would have won that series either way

They were the better team.

Here's the question...

After the cap penalty, did you feel:

1)  **** Mara

2)  **** Mara... but later on start to think of all the other ways your teams have been screwed over by "the man" and by other New York teams, even?

Deeper cut in my opinion.

My wife sent me this text Sunday after we lost

Your loyalty to the Redskins reminds me how no matter how much I disappoint you, you will still always be rooting for me.

She knows my fan card has a memory of the good times that lasts forever and I have incredibly short term memory of the bad times that a 1960s hippy would be jealous of

Here's the question...

After the cap penalty, did you feel:

1)  **** Mara

2)  **** Mara... but later on start to think of all the other ways your teams have been screwed over by "the man" and by other New York teams, even?

Deeper cut in my opinion.

I'm so lost dude. You're trying to prove a very odd point to me for whatever reason and I cannot fathom why. lol

Are you going to mess with the guys on here from outside of the DMV that are 'Skins fans too?

LOL...all good stuff, I would say I'm a true fan because:

1) because losing does make my Mon & Tues sucky

2) I have rode with the Skins sense I was able to understand the game of football (I'm 35 and grew up in a house were if you did not like the skins you did not eat)

3) and last but certainly not least I CANNOT STAND THE COWGIRLS!!!!!!

BTW I do remember 42-10 vs the Broncos and the 14-13 wins over the cowgirls (which includes the punishing hit the Sean Taylor made to the WR that prevented them from getting into FG range in the final seconds)

DC9,

Tell me who I should be rooting for then.

I'm 20 years old. I started playing/watching baseball when I was in elementary. Don't feel any connection to Baltimore outside of a few Cal Ripken camps I went to and the free tix I got. Nats didn't come until 2004. Spent a lot of time with my grandpa (who happened to be from New York...though he was a Willie Mays-era Giants fan when he was young. His sport is baseball, he'll watch other sports but doesn't have any favorites). 

Would it be more acceptable if I was a Pirates or Rays fan to you? lol

I remember Scott Bentley kicking an onside kick for the Skins on the Monday Nighter in St. Louis.  I also remember David Akers first and only game against the Seahawks in 1998 at the Kingdome.

Some people are hardcore others are not, as long as you stick with the team through thick and thin (regardless of criticizing them or praising them which I do both), you are a fan.  Whoever can watch and is purposely going to miss any Redskins games since they are 0-3 is NOT a fan.

so, if a person only supports the redskins, but only likes football when the teams winning, because that's when its more fun, they aren't a fan? Its a game.

DC9,

Tell me who I should be rooting for then.

I'm 20 years old. I started playing/watching baseball when I was in elementary. Don't feel any connection to Baltimore outside of a few Cal Ripken camps I went to and the free tix I got. Nats didn't come until 2004. Spent a lot of time with my grandpa (who happened to be from New York...though he was a Willie Mays-era Giants fan when he was young. His sport is baseball, he'll watch other sports but doesn't have any favorites). 

Would it be more acceptable if I was a Pirates or Rays fan to you? lol

Bro, I'm not even an O's fan anymore.  I'm a Nats fan.  But I was a die-hard when I was a kid.

I root for the local teams.  Like I said, I'm glad you're a Redskins fan and I'm not saying I am any better of a fan than you are just because I'm a local.  Heck, this team is 0-3 and most of the brand newbies that showed up earlier in the pre-season have already jumped ship! lol

What I'm saying is that in my opinion, something like Mara's cap penalty will piss off an exclusively DC sports fan more than it would say a fan of the Redskins AND the Yankees.... because Jeffrey Mayer screwed us and then the umpires upheld it.  More BS from NY...

Randel El doing pretty much nothing here is going to piss off a Caps fan because of Jagr and Cook then it would a Redskins AND Pens fan... because, **** Pittsburgh, here we go again....

Stuff like that.  It burns deeper.  It's not just teams... it's Cities and their fan bases.  I think it's a different level of fandom than just teams.

Bro, I'm not even an O's fan anymore.  I'm a Nats fan.  But I was a die-hard when I was a kid.

I root for the local teams.  Like I said, I'm glad you're a Redskins fan and I'm not saying I am any better of a fan than you are just because I'm a local.  Heck, this team is 0-3 and most of the brand newbies that showed up earlier in the pre-season have already jumped ship! lol

What I'm saying is that in my opinion, something like Mara's cap penalty will piss off an exclusively DC sports fan more than it would say a fan of the Redskins AND the Yankees.... because Jeffrey Mayer screwed us and then the umpires upheld it.  More BS from NY...

Randel El doing pretty much nothing here is going to piss off a Caps fan because of Jagr and Cook then it would a Redskins AND Pens fan... because, **** Pittsburgh, here we go again....

Stuff like that.  It burns deeper.  It's not just teams... it's Cities and their fan bases.  I think it's a different level of fandom than just teams.

we're going to agree to disagree then.

I've never even brought up Antwaan Randle El and Jags in the same thought. 

Nor Knuble and McNabb.

I've never heard anyone make connections like that before. Lol

Again, Warpath, I was just making an observation.  I don't hate on anyone that likes teams from different areas, but I think it's interesting and I'm just not sure how it's possible. 

I lived in Virgina till I was 7. Was already a diehard Skins fan by that point, and football was the only sport I watched or cared about until then. At 7 we moved to New England, where I eventually got into other sports, so I became a Red  Sox, Celtics and Bruins fan. My dad was a Cubs fan from Cicago, so I rooted for them a little too, but they are clearly my second favorite. The Sox are my team.

That's how it can happen. I have always been, and always will be a fan of my teams, and anyone who claimed I wasn't a true fan would be completely wrong.

This is a really good question and I think that you're going to get as many different answers as there are different types of fan.

Personally my fanhood has evolved over 30 odd years from mild interest to a bit too obsessive, although I couldn't point to any particular time when I "leveled up" as it were.

Being critical of the team/players/coaches/owner should be considered a right and implies nothing about your level of fanhood, although the difference between a troll and a concerned fan is not always obvious. I think it's probably a negative/positive type thing.

It would be interesting if there are any psychologists (?) out there to explain why we get so emotional about OUR team.

I lived in Virgina till I was 7. Was already a diehard Skins fan by that point, and football was the only sport I watched or cared about until then. At 7 we moved to New England, where I eventually got into other sports, so I became a Red  Sox, Celtics and Bruins fan. My dad was a Cubs fan from Cicago, so I rooted for them a little too, but they are clearly my second favorite. The Sox are my team.

That's how it can happen. I have always been, and always will be a fan of my teams, and anyone who claimed I wasn't a true fan would be completely wrong.

That makes total sense.

I admire that you picked up on the local Boston teams. 

There doesn't seem to be any cherry picking there.

If you moved up to Boston and became a Red Wings, Lakers, and Braves fan... we could then get more into what I was describing.

That makes total sense.

If you moved up to Boston and became a Red Wings, Lakers, and Braves fan... we could then get more into what I was describing.

okay...so I have to root for all the hometown teams to be a true fan. 

My bad man. 

Can I get a grandfather clause on it and make my kids root for their hometown teams? lol

That makes total sense.

I know. I understand and agree with your point. Just giving my story.

I was in the Army in the 90s, so I witnessed a change from the majority of people wearing Magic Johnson jerseys to the majority wearing Michael Jordan jerseys. Don't understand or respect that mentality, but I also kind of pity it. Imagine what I felt when the Sox finally won a title, or what so many here will feel if the Redskins do, and then realize that those losers will never have anything like that.

okay...so I have to root for all the hometown teams to be a true fan. 

My bad man. 

Can I get a grandfather clause on it and make my kids root for their hometown teams? lol

How did you become a fan of your teams?  Just curious.

Mind you this is only my opinion and you shouldn't be upset over it.

Im from philly. Born and raised. When I was little, during a redskin cowboys game I asked my grandfather who to route for. He said always route against the cowboys. Well I didn't know he was an eagles fan and in the late 70s early 80s, the skins were a lot of fun and it just stuck to me. I like all the other philly teams.if I haven't quit on the ****ing skins in the last 20 years, despite hardly ever being in the DC area, am I a fan DC9? I dont care much forvthe fan base.

I know. I understand and agree with your point. Just giving my story.

I was in the Army in the 90s, so I witnessed a change from the majority of people wearing Magic Johnson jerseys to the majority wearing Michael Jordan jerseys. Don't understand or respect that mentality, but I also kind of pity it. Imagine what I felt when the Sox finally won a title, or what so many here will feel if the Redskins do, and then realize that those losers will never have anything like that.

My point exactly!

Funny you brought that up, my favorite Uncle is a true black and gold Steelers fan... I was joking with him earlier this week because I've noticed less black and gold and more Seahawks gear around the DC area where I work.  Flavor of the month, I suppose.

I never understand it either. 

Bottom line, for me - Loyalty is one of the most undervalued character traits in my opinion.  Regardless of how you pick your teams, if you stay with them, you are a fan.

Im from philly. Born and raised. When I was little, during a redskin cowboys game I asked my grandfather who to route for. He said always route against the cowboys. Well I didn't know he was an eagles fan and in the late 70s early 80s, the skins were a lot of fun and it just stuck to me. I like all the other philly teams.if I haven't quit on the ****ing skins in the last 20 years, despite hardly ever being in the DC area, am I a fan DC9? I dont care much forvthe fan base.

KB, not only are you a fan you are one of my favorites.  Interesting though, I would've never had pegged you as a Philly guy.  Way too laid back for that.

Damn, how did I get in this position! 

All I'm saying is that things burn deeper for all DC-sports-team fans than they do for non-DC fans and that's just my opinion.

True fan to me is just like true love by which I mean that it's involuntary.  The heart wants what it wants and it doesn't consult the brain. If it causes you tremendous pain and misery, the heart cares not.  You can allow yourself to grow bitter during the hard times and swear up and down that this latest thing is surely the last straw.  It never is and you never leave.  You can't. Some will sit there jabbering like a lunatics about how the latest disaster is actually a good thing, a GREAT thing even.  Self deception is a proud tradition among fans of failing franchises.  

Love manifests in many ways and despite what the less observant might say, it is not always pretty.  

DC9, no worries mehson. Im just pickin on ya, cause you started it. :) I am too chill cor philly, that's why im reborn Crusian now. I cheered for yhe Spurs in the finals, because Duncan is Crusian too, but im a sixers fan.

and of course you're on of my board favorites too, except for your ridiculous stance on Orakpo. :P

I will always stick by the Redskins but I will not hesitate to be negative or criticize players (not like they even care what I think anyway) If someone plays like crap I will boo the hell out of them and talk crap about them. I care more about the organization then players feelings. I love the Skins and I will always root for them but if they start to stink I will call into radio stations and start calling out players who suck and start talking about why does so and so still have a job? Don't get it twisted with "support" and "talk crap" I'm still supporting them even when talking crap because I want them to get better. I don't like to say everything will be "okay" I'd rather call for heads and boo. Someone may disagree with me and say that I should support my team and always cheer no matter what. I could flip the script and say well if you actually loved the Redskins you would boo them when they played like crap because surely if you were a fan you would never be okay with bad football.  

Born: Cherryhill, NJ in 1977

Parents: Born and raised in NY

Moved: To Oklahoma when I was five. Lived in OK for 25 of the next 30 years (brief stint in PA and three years in Houston).

College: OU

Settled and raising a family: OKC--- unlikely I will ever live anywhere else

Teams: Redskins, Reds, Thunder (season ticket holder). Sooners to a lesser extent.

Origins of my fandom:

Redskins: Unknown. My parents root for the Bills and Eagles repetitively, but neither are big fans and football was not a topic in our house until I made it one. I have no idea when I started loving the Redskins-- it was quite literally as if I was born with it. Don't remember anything else.

Reds: My grandpa loved baseball and I liked Pete Rose as a kid-- watched on TV as he broke hits record in 1985 and chose the Reds as my team. Never wavered.

Thunder: I get crap from my friends for this one, but I switched from a Cavs fan to a Thunder fan. I attended Game 6 of Lakers-Thunder in 2010 (the game where Gasol had a game winning putback). I was not a Thunder fan at the time, but I told my wife it was stupid not to be--- having them in my backyard it was just too fun an opened too many possibilities. I decided to switch. Did something I never thought I'd do, but I did it and haven't looked back. I am going on year three as a season ticket holder and I don't feel guilty about it at all. Love my city and love my Thunder. That team means a lot to me even though it is still "new" and I don't have the personal history. As a matter of fact, given the choice I might even choose an NBA title over a SB for the skins or WS for the Reds because I'd get to be so invested in it--- going to those Finals games two years ago was amazing.

I root for my Sooners, basketball even more so than football, but my relationship there is much less fanatical than it is for my pro teams.

Guys like me (and I'm gonna assume Warpath) can by psychoanalyzed as to WHY we need the year round obsession. I have my own theories on that.

Archived