Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Richardson Traded To Indy For 1St Round Pick

skinfan2k

You gotta wonder what the Browns are gonna do with that pick. Seems like they always wait to draft a QB in the late 1st/early 2nd round, which has always been a disaster.

If there's a QB worth taking at #1 overall, they need to trade the farm for him. They have a good defense, good o-line, and playmaking receivers. An above average QB could turn them into a playoff team right away.

Man, I thought Richardson was at least a somewhat good back.

But it's now clear the sooner the Colts admit their mistake -- and it's a huge one -- the better. Seriously, they traded a first for a guy who is a LIABILITY for them.

I guess I didn't understand the appeal of Richardson, at least not that high.  I don't watch college religiously but when I've seen these Alabama backs they look...OK.  They look like guys who probably can make in the NFL but aren't elite talents.  When you recruit the best talent in the country, several guys deep, my guess is that you or I could make some headway on the ground (before the inevitable concussions.)  And the odd part to me is just how many guys keep flocking at the RB position to Alabama.  For one, that's a lot of cats to compete against, one might be better served in offenses that pass more than run so you can a) learn to pass block for NFL B) take fewer hits c) operate in space more so you can be perceived as better. 

Ingram has been a huge bust, IMO, compared to his status.

I guess I didn't understand the appeal of Richardson, at least not that high.  I don't watch college religiously but when I've seen these Alabama backs they look...OK.  They look like guys who probably can make in the NFL but aren't elite talents.  When you recruit the best talent in the country, several guys deep, my guess is that you or I could make some headway on the ground (before the inevitable concussions.)  And the odd part to me is just how many guys keep flocking at the RB position to Alabama.  For one, that's a lot of cats to compete against, one might be better served in offenses that pass more than run so you can a) learn to pass block for NFL B) take fewer hits c) operate in space more so you can be perceived as better. 

Ingram has been a huge bust, IMO, compared to his status.

I have the same feeling. I think the Alabama backs are NFL talents, they just start in a system that opens up huge holes for them against smaller college players and allows them space to go around them, build up a head of steam, and go through them. At the NFL level they don't have any of these advantages. Even Lacy, while he looks good, I think part of it is he is more decisive than any of the others before him, and with Greenbay spreading out the field and their style of offense Lacy has lots of room to just run straight ahead for 4 yards. The Alabama running backs in the NFL recently (Ingram, Lacy, Richardson) have shown to be better suited as NFL backups IMO.

The Alabama running backs in the NFL recently (Ingram, Lacy, Richardson) have shown to be better suited as NFL backups IMO.

I dont think they could make our team. I would not trade any of our 3 backs [Morris,Helu, Rouster]for them

Colts running backs

Richardson 75att 228yards 3.0avg 16long 2TD

Brown 33att 195yards 5.9avg 50long 1TD

Redskins (for comparison):

Morris 91att 472yards 5.2avg 45long 3TD

Helu 31att 129yards 4.2avg 17long 4TD

Richardson is supposed to by their version of Morris. Their load carrying big back. Seems like he's performing just as well as he did with the Browns. His numbers look like what his fellow Alabama RB Ingram has done in New Orleans.

If things remain as they are the Browns have absolutely robbed the colts of a first round pick.

As I said above, a lot of what Brown does is situational. Colts are still lining up in a power formation a lot with TR and slamming between tackle. Brown is running draws and they are getting him wide. Unfortunately TR doesn't have the speed for the same runs and the colts OLine is extremely weak up the middle - especially after losing D. Thomas.

That doesn't change your premise - TR wasn't worth a 1st, but I don't think anyone that has watched him run believes Brown is a better back. If he was getting the same carries TR is, he'd be worse. At least TR moves forward after contact. Brown is awful once he's been touched.

I wasn't sold on the trade when it was made and it certainly isn't looking good right now. I do think that TR fits the style of the run game the Colts want to have, but the OLine is lacking. TR definetly isn't a back that's going to make something from nothing, but he is hard to bring down when he gets moving. He just has no run to get moving. He also lacks great vision.

So, looks like a bad trade, but I don't think Colts will look elsewhere. I think he'll be significantly better next year. That's assuming the colts OLine improves again next year. I think that's a safe bet. They'll get D. Thomas back, they drafted two rookies this year (C and G) that both missed most of camp due to injury, and they'll have a lot of money to spend again. Maybe Im just overly optimistic though :)

I love how apparently Irsay challenged his FO to build like the Patriots/Steelers or whoever he said. Looks like they went the route of Mr. Kindergarten Ninja with this trade.

Colts have built exactly as Irsay said and I think that was on display against Denver. I guarentee you Peyton sees the difference - Colts never had coverage like that during his time here.

Plenty of people have been critical of the moves Colts have made since that 2-14 season (letting Manning go, drafting two TEs, trading for VD, almost all of the FA signings, trading for TR), but its hard to believe anyone can be critical of the overall job that's been done. They are 16-8 (including playoff loss) since going 2-14, they made the playoffs last year, have a 2 game lead in their division, and have wins this year against 3 consensus top 5 teams (Denver, Seattle, 49ers). People can make fun of Irsay (and he does make it easy at times), but he's absolutely right in his current vision for the team - bad TR trade or not.

I guess I didn't understand the appeal of Richardson, at least not that high.  I don't watch college religiously but when I've seen these Alabama backs they look...OK.  They look like guys who probably can make in the NFL but aren't elite talents.  

The trouble with grading running backs in recent years from Alabama is they were running behind a line that was just so good it was unfair. They had holes you and I could run through and look good.

Richardson does have excellent physical tools to be a very good HB in the NFL but as others have said he seems to lack the vision and instincts to find holes which are much smaller and disappear much quicker in the NFL. Looks like the Colts have blown a 1st round pick and good job by the Browns getting something of value back for him after their original mistake.

Even though the Colts are winning, I still think the Browns get the better deal out of the Richardson trade.

Well...I think that it's a wash to be honest. If the logic behind the trade was that the Colts were intent on drafting a RB in the 2014 draft with their first pick...then why wait for next year when you have an opportunity to get a RB that can contribute this year when by the looks of things is going to be a special year for the Colts. Barring anything crazy the Colts are going to win the AFC East and will likely make a deep playoff run given the state of the AFC this year. Why not swing for the fences now when you have a legit shot of something special this year.

Why do I hate the Colts? I feel like I'm forgetting something but for the life of me can't remember what. I just know when I think Colts, I feel hate

Anyway, question, who was the last high-profile RB prospect who seemingly had all the physical tools but ultimately failed because he lacked vision? I can't think of anyone.

There's zero chance of it happening because the Colts haven't been in the AFC East in over 10 years.

Ugg...my bad. AFC South. Dunno why I posted AFC East.

Barring anything crazy they will win the AFC South.

Glad I'm not alone on that. Might be the dumbest, most far-fetched prediction I've ever seen on here. I don't care how "good" Andrew Luck allegedly is or if Richardson turns out not to suck, the Colts just aren't that special.

Beating 3 teams with legit shots at the Superbowl is pretty special.

Out playing Peyton is pretty special.

Admitting that Luck is a very good QB isn't a slight on the Skins or RG.

The Colts have the inside track on getting in the playoffs.

Texans are just flat horrible this year, the Titans are better than expected but still not much to talk about, and the Jags are the Jags. Absolutely positive thay the Colts will win the AFC South this year and make some waves in the playoffs.

There's zero chance of it happening because the Colts haven't been in the AFC East in over 10 years.

Thanks Captain Obvious

Ugg...my bad. AFC South. Dunno why I posted AFC East.

Barring anything crazy they will win the AFC South.

Beating 3 teams with legit shots at the Superbowl is pretty special.

Out playing Peyton is pretty special.

Admitting that Luck is a very good QB isn't a slight on the Skins or RG.

The Colts have the inside track on getting in the playoffs.

Texans are just flat horrible this year, the Titans are better than expected but still not much to talk about, and the Jags are the Jags. Absolutely positive thay the Colts will win the AFC South this year and make some waves in the playoffs.

Come on man. Mr. Buzzkill told you the joke and you still wrote out a serious response?

Thanks Captain Obvious

Come on man. Mr. Buzzkill told you the joke and you still wrote out a serious response?

"Glad I'm not alone on that. Might be the dumbest, most far-fetched prediction I've ever seen on here. I don't care how "good" Andrew Luck allegedly is or if Richardson turns out not to suck, the Colts just aren't that special"

Doesn't sound like you were joking in this post.

• 4 weeks later...

Lets get back to talking about the most important thing in the NFL right now, How bad Trent Richardson is at running the football.

"If I don't have big runs because they're trying to stop the run, then I feel like I'm doing my job," he said, according to the newspaper.

Alfred Morris, Marshawn Lynch, and Adrian Peterson let out a collective *YAWN*

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10000662/trent-richardson-indianapolis-colts-defends-play-trade?ex_cid=espnapi_public

My howtimes have changed. T Rich was getting the star treatment at Bama while Morris was getting his head caved in at FAU... Now fastforward and Morris is one of the best backs in the league, while Richardson is going the route of Kijana Carter

At least Ki-Jana had legitimate reasons why he wasn't a success, but hey maybe Richardson will be able to have a 300 yard season with us in about 7 years.

The man has no vision and relied entirely on his stellar line in college. At this point I'd even take Mark Ingram over him, he also has the excuse of being in an offense that relies on RB by committee and is ill-suited to his talents.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Eddie Lacy is awesome.

Archived