Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Richardson Traded To Indy For 1St Round Pick

skinfan2k

That's fine but rg3 alone will not take us to a SB. We need a complete team which right now we don't have in terms of talent and could use the picks next year to upgrade defense, especially secondary and upgrade the oline. Just my opinion.

We got Griffin so we can build a team around him. If we trade Griffin we would be starting over again. I think your putting way to much stock into Cousins. I think once defences study Cousins they will attack his weaknesses. I'm glad your not our GM.

It's like they think they're in a game thread or something.

lol, that cracked me up. I swear that should be a line used a lot more around here. Fits perfectly. Hilarious! 

As for the trade, not sure how I feel about. I think Richardson benefits a lot from having a QB like Luck, however, when the team that you play for feels like they don't need you and especially being that young... that might say more than a lot of people let on. Or the Browns are just utterly stupid and gave up a great young talent. Should be interesting how it plays out.

In terms of the Colts, it kind of is a frustration move, really. They're like us at Safety, except they've just had the WORST luck forever at the RB position. Addai was like the last decent back they had there and he didn't last, really. Nor was he that good, just benefited mainly from Peyton. 

At some point, you just flip out and give up a high pick to solve an issue that just keeps failing for you. They got Bradshaw this offseason and he's not been himself either with the foot injury.

Sometimes I feel like we should do that at Safety. Just be like "screw it, here's a 2nd round pick damnit, give me your safety" to some team, lol.  

What a horrible value for the Browns. What do they have on offense without him?

All the Colts need now is an o-line.

Well, by trading Rich they are obviously looking towards the future. Don't know why this trade is so hard to understand. The Browns aren't going anywhere this year. They aren't happy with Weeden. They are likely hoarding picks in hope of landing someone like Bridgewater. They could easily end up with Bridgewater AND a RB in the draft next year. Starting Hoyer over Campbell tells me the Browns aren't even trying to win games this year.

Also, to the guys bringing up Richarson's YPC, do you even watch much football? They had no QB last year, or other skill guys. Teams simply loaded the box and dared Weeden to beat them. It's amazing that Rich was able to break the Browns' single season TD record, playing on that garbage offense.

I think this trade helps both teams. The Colts are trying to win now. And Trent will allow them to keep doing so. And the Browns can use that pick to build for the future.

I "understand" what the Browns are doing, but at the same time, they managed to trade away a player they gave up the farm for a little over a calender year ago, all the while infuriating season ticket holders and giving a giant middle finger to their existing roster. This is going to completely destroy that locker room, at least for 2013. 

The main upside is that the second 1st round pick can be used to ensure they get the QB they want. They won't even need to tank this season, though they likely will anyway.

On an related topic, if the Browns are shopping promising players left and right, can we have Joe Haden? Please?

On an related topic, if the Browns are shopping promising players left and right, can we have Joe Haden? Please?

This brings up an interesting point- their defense isn't necessarily the problem, and Haden is one of the best players on the roster, but you gotta figure everyone is for sale. What is Haden worth? Cause at this point, I would at least be on the phone with Lombardi asking. Cousins for Haden and a 2nd?

I "understand" what the Browns are doing, but at the same time, they managed to trade away a player they gave up the farm for a little over a calender year ago, all the while infuriating season ticket holders and giving a giant middle finger to their existing roster. This is going to completely destroy that locker room, at least for 2013.

The main upside is that the second 1st round pick can be used to ensure they get the QB they want. They won't even need to tank this season, though they likely will anyway.

This...agree completely.

I understand the move over the long term. However during the short term this hurts the Browns. TRich is a good player...he was injured during his rookie season, played with 2 broken ribs and scored 11 TD's...the guy is a hoss and as a ton of upside.

Over the short term the Browns ship a feature-back to the Colts for what will be a mid/late first round draft pick and loose an offensive skill position with a ton of upside. I believe that the Browns could have leaned on the Colts for a little more compensation. This will leave a bad taste in the mouth of the fans and a good portion of the team as well.

I understand the move - get another first rounder and pick up a running back in the later rounds of the draft a la the Skins, Chiefs, Texans etc....but if I was a Browns fan I would have a lot of mixed emotions on this.

We clearly have some GM's in this thread and some HC's

Brilliant move by the Browns to get a 1st round pick for a RB from a team that overachieved in 2012 and has no o-line.

The Browns are going to have a top 3 overall pick and most likely another pick in the 15-20 range. Hello franchise QB, which is what you need to win in the 2013 NFL.

Getting a 1st round pick for any RB is highway robbery, in particular if you never actually picked that RB (and Lombardi didn't) 

We clearly have some GM's in this thread and some HC's

Brilliant move by the Browns to get a 1st round pick for a RB from a team that overachieved in 2012 and has no o-line.

The Browns are going to have a top 3 overall pick and most likely another pick in the 15-20 range. Hello franchise QB, which is what you need to win in the 2013 NFL.

Getting a 1st round pick for any RB is highway robbery, in particular if you never actually picked that RB (and Lombardi didn't) 

The Browns have some issues for certain...however their offensive line is definitely not one of them...

LT: Joe Thomas

LG: Jason Pinkston

C: Alex Mack

RG: Shawn Lauvao

RT: Mitchell Schwartz

That's a pretty solid group.

From ProFootballFocus:

"5. Cleveland Browns (14)

PB – 3rd, RB – 11th, PEN – 25th

Stud: In the upcoming weeks or so we’re going to do a piece on how often (per second) Joe Thomas (+25.6) gives up pressure compared to the rest of the league. It’s stunning how shutdown he is. Now, if only his run blocking matched up to his work in the pass game.

Dud: You can get by with players like Shawn Lauvao (-7.3) when the rest of your line is so good.

Summary: It’s not the done thing to give praise to Cleveland. That said, their line is extremely talented and when they were forced to introduce John Greco into the lineup they got even better. The stars are Thomas and Alex Mack, but the play of rookie Mitchell Schwartz bodes well for this line for a long time to come."

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

Cleveland's issues have been at the offensive skill positions...receivers, running backs, and most notably at QB.

This will help Cleveland over the long term...however over the short term the Browns are getting weaker as a team and loosing one of their only major (relatively speaking) offensive weapons.

Griffin on 1 1/2 legs:

56-89, 649 yds, 63%, 7.3 YPA, 5 TDs, 3 Ints

Weeden on 2 legs:

47-86, 516 yds, 54%, 6.0 YPA, 1 TD, 3 Ints

STOP IT! JUST STOP IT with trading Griffin. 

REALLY!!??? 

Griffin's worse 2 games of his career are STILL better than Weedens.  You really think the Redskins will trade Griffin?  I'm so sick of my fellow Redskin fans turning on Griffin.  Give the guy a chance to recover.  We'd be at least 1-1 if the rest of the team weren't playing like garbage.  We would have lost 52-0 to Eagles and 55-0 to the Packers without him.  Not even sure what to say anymore.  Of all the players on the roster, he's the only one of 53 that I say will be hands off.

I bet the happiest person in this situation is Richardson.

The least happy is Clowney.

The Browns aren't going to get Clowney...this is a move to 1. ensure that they have the ammunition to grab T. Brdigewater and 2. Add another offensive skill position late in the first round

Although it may looked like the Browns got fleeced, but I think they may have made the correct choice in this trade. As many have pointed out, teams should never draft a RB that high in the first round. The previous regime did a poor job at drafting and building -- drafting a 29 year old rookie QB and traded their 4th, 5th and 7th rounder to move up only one spot for Richardson. Lombardi, Chudzinski and co. realize that the current roster left by the previous regime is a bridge to nowhere, and they must start clean to build the team the way they want it to be.

For better or worse, I like this move.

I'm thinking they want more speed in the backfield for when they do get a QB next year. Trent is sort of a pounding RB, and line another said, they may be looking for a Doug Martin tips of RB to take over.

I swear the next person to say trade rg3 should just get a lifetime ban. I mean really. Just stop. I cannot believe this.

I agree. The mods should really consider doing it. Its getting beyond annoying ready those reply, especially in a thread that has nothing to do with griffin.

Knee jerk reaction says Brown fans are angry, but when the smoke is clear, they should be glad that their GM made this move.

So the team I watched nearly lose at home to the Raiders and just lose to the Dolphins is somehow going to turn things on and start pounding teams because they traded for a RB who has been nothing short of below average? Trent Richardson was great at Alabama, he's done absolutely nothing as a pro to warrant a first round pick as compensation in a trade. The Colts better hope it was the team he was playing on that caused his struggles because if not they're going to look very foolish.

It's a completely different organization and Lombardi is in charge of cleaning up the mess Holmgren created. This was the best move possible as it sets them up for Tajh Boyd and what I believe very well could be a top 10 pick with how the Colts have played. If the Browns walk away with Marqise Lee and Tajh Boyd because of this trade no one will ever remember Trent Richardson in Cleveland...

Boyd would be the RG3 they couldn't get and Lee would be the steady playmaker at WR they lack. I think these two picks would be perfect for them.

The Browns aren't going to get Clowney...this is a move to 1. ensure that they have the ammunition to grab T. Brdigewater and 2. Add another offensive skill position late in the first round

Being here in SC, but not a Clemson fan, I would take Tahj Boyd over Teddy. I think he's more polished at this point.

I agree. The mods should really consider doing it. Its getting beyond annoying ready those reply, especially in a thread that has nothing to do with griffin.

So then in your estimation the person that created the trade Morris in the stadium should be banned as well? Why have a forum if people can't express themselves, wow very totalitarian. I left Cuba for this same reason.

Knee jerk reaction says Brown fans are angry, but when the smoke is clear, they should be glad that their GM made this move.

Boyd would be the RG3 they couldn't get and Lee would be the steady playmaker at WR they lack. I think these two picks would be perfect for them.

Being here in SC, but not a Clemson fan, I would take Tahj Boyd over Teddy. I think he's more polished at this point.

Fair enough...either way...whatever the Browns want to do if they don't get a franchise QB in next years draft it is going to be another long few years for the factory of sadness

Alright, Fantasy players. PANIC.

Well, not if you drafted Richardson. I think he benefits from this.

I do feel bad for those who drafted Bradshaw. I know my nephew got him in the 7th round or something and thought that he was a steal there, poor guy.

If the Brown's picks actually pan out, then sure, they could turn things around.  They have a lot of picks to use, 7 in the first four rounds.

Of course, the key thing is those need to pan out.  I think Lombardi will be better than Heckert so there's hope, but this team is going to be in the depths of a major rebuilding for quite a few years.

The Browns called in the tank to blow that mickey blicky up. There was a reason why they are starting Hoyer over Campbell. Also I don't think Weeden will see the field again in a Browns uni. Banner and Lombardi have a plan, and do it now while you still have value in Richardson. I smell a 1-15 season in their horizon. 

Fair enough...either way...whatever the Browns want to do if they don't get a franchise QB in next years draft it is going to be another long few years for the factory of sadness

I think Bridgewater is an excellent prospect.  He'll probably end up being a better passer than Boyd, but I get alot of Clemson games down here and Boyd can be a dual threat.  He was battered and beaten against LSU in the bowl game, but kept coming back.  Both are excellent QBs and Cleveland will be better getting either one.  I know in the 2012 draft, they REALLY wanted Griffin. 

Just wanted to say you are a great poster and I've enjoyed reading your opinions in every thread.  Breath of fresh air around here, being level headed.

Archived