Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**nbc News.com**farmers Almanac: The Superbowl May Be "the Storm Bowl."

DM72

As someone who lives in the north, I can tell you there's a big difference between low 30's and single digits. And I still don't think they expected single digits when they planned this. NYC/NJ usually isn't exactly GB or Buffalo in terms of winter.  

Exactly. Since when is rain a problem?

Maybe there's a difference, but I guess what I'm saying is that it certainly wasn't a deal-breaker for the NFL. There is no chance that they decided to have a Super Bowl in NYC without understanding that it would be drastically colder than any other venue. When you compare it to the weather in San Diego, Miami, Houston, etc., the fact that it could be low-30s/high-20s when the game ends isn't all that much different than it being in the teens or single-digits.

It's similar to the rule of diminishing returns...they knew it would be cold when the game was played, so the fact that it could be VERY cold isn't going to be a show-stopper for them. You don't go into a decision like this crossing your fingers that a wintry region won't experience wintry weather in February.

Good. It was a stupid idea to have the Super Bowl in a cold weather city, anyway. If you don't have a dome or if it isn't 70+ degrees all year around, your city has no business hosting the Super Bowl. 

I have to ask why this is such a pervasive sentiment?  The elements have always played a significant role in football and many of the most classic games are what they are because of the conditions they were played in.  Give me NE/Oak over fake turf in a climate controlled dome anyday and everyday.

Call me crazy, but I'm actually really looking forward to this. I know super bowl is supposed to be this ultra spectacle, but its hard to beat football in the snow. At minimum, I expect NY, NJ, and the NFL to make sure people can at least get to the stadium no matter what. After that, its fair game...

My the gods of justice and retribution lay waste to this event. I don't even care if the Skins are in it. I'll be warm and cozy, grubbing/drinking, kicking it with my HD big screen.It won't hurt my feelings watching the Skins lay waste to some whack ass AFC team during a blizzard. The Butler serves 'em up for 300 yards. Blizzard or no blizzard.

A snow game would be great.  Most of the money comes from TV, not the attendees.  And since most of the attendees are not regular football fans but people who have connections or some other method of weasling tickets, I couldn't care less if those people experience some poor conditions.  The game itself, which is what I'm interested in (not all the surrounding fluff), would be more fun to watch.

Nonsense, we have the #1 rushing attack in the league. Will play to our advantage when we get there.

My comment had nothing to do with that. I was simply saying that I wouldn't want our fans going to the game to be subjected to 3 feet of snow.

Besides, having the #1 rushing attack doesn't mean anything. It's a new year. We could just as easily ride RG3's arm to the SB this year.

Gee, it'd sure be awful if we couldn't watch some no talent half wit pop star prance around lipsyncing some god awful excuse for a song in their bedazzled underpants.

Let it snow, let it rain, let it be great tough guy Northeastern winter football and be one hell of a game.

I hope there's a blizzard. Postseason football is supposed to be about cold weather, hot chocolate (spiked, of course), and fans bundling up and braving the elements to support their team. They essentially took that away to make the biggest football game in the universe into some fair weather fan extravaganza.

Bring on the freezing temps and sloppy wet fields. This is football, not some pansy ass sport where they roll a tarp on the field every time it drizzles.

Obviously the Super Bowl is the main prize, but my favorite weekend of the NFL calendar is Championship Sunday. I love it. One reason is the balance of high stakes (conference titles) and winter weather potential. Watching cold or snowy games is pretty awesome. Pre-Super Bowl era, the league title was awarded in freezing cold temperatures so I like that aspect of it.

Logistics are what they are. Sure, snow or sleet will make it difficult for the events of that week to go off without issues. But why do I care? I have no stake in that. I don't care if attendees of different parties or events have trouble getting places on time. As a spectator, I'd love to see snow or wind or cold temps in a league title game.

Nonsense, we have the #1 rushing attack in the league. Will play to our advantage when we get there.

Pretty sure a few years ago the Pats put up almost 60 on the Titans in the snow. I think Brady threw for 4 or 5 TDs. Just because it's snowing doesn't mean you can't throw.

I have to ask why this is such a pervasive sentiment? The elements have always played a significant role in football and many of the most classic games are what they are because of the conditions they were played in. Give me NE/Oak over fake turf in a climate controlled dome anyday and everyday.

Agree. Here, here. Domes are da debil.

You guys do realize there's a difference between snowing and a storm, right?

There isn't necessarily a difference, but yes I think everyone understands that snow can vary in terms of severity. What is your concern about a snowSTORM hitting during the Super Bowl? Do you think they'd delay or cancel the game? If I recall correctly, a storm is exactly what hit in early 2002 when the Pats hosted the Raiders. That wasn't just a light couple of inches of snow and that game was played, fans showed up, etc.

Snow is OK, but no one wants to see the SB in a storm. And there is a difference between snowing and a storm.

But that's what I'm asking you...why do you feel that "no one" wants to see that? The New England/Oakland game that is now engraved in NFL lore was played in a snow storm. I loved watching it and despite not caring about either team I still remember that game. It's unique and the visual memories are stunning (to me).

47 posts and unless I missed it, no one has noted that the Farmers Almanac is based on 18th century pseudo science and total bull****.

Farmers' Almanac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Weather prediction has always been a major feature of the Farmers' Almanac. The Almanac Publishing Company claims readers of the Farmers’ Almanac have attributed an 80 to 85 percent accuracy rate to the publication’s annual forecasts. However independent studies that retrospectively compare the weather with the predictions have not shown them more accurate than chance.[1]

Predictions for each edition are made as far as two years in advance. The Farmers’ Almanac publishers are highly secretive about the method used to make its predictions, only stating publicly that it is a "top secret mathematical and astronomical formula, that relies on sunspot activitytidal actionplanetary position and many other factors." The Almanac’s forecaster is referred to by the pseudonym Caleb Weatherbee.[2]

Probing Question: Is the Farmers' Almanac accurate? | Penn State University

Penn State meteorologist Paul Knight is more than a little skeptical.

"The ability to predict events that far in advance is zero," says Knight. "There's no proven skill, there's no technique that's agreed upon in science to be able to do that."

The Farmers' Almanac's Web site explains that its forecaster (referred to only by his pseudonym, Caleb Weatherbee) uses a "top secret mathematical and astronomical formula, that relies on sunspot activity, tidal action, planetary position and many other factors" to predict weather sixteen months in advance for seven different U.S. climate zones.

Farmers’ Almanac should stay away from weather | Fox 59 News – fox59.com

The Almanac claims that their forecast is 80 percent accurate.  An October 1981 issue of Weatherwise shows the magazine is nowhere close to 80 percent correct.   The study found the almanac to be less accurate than chance.

Yeah, I'm not sure too many people are now banking on a storm. I think it's just the realization that it could be 8 degrees and snowing during the Super Bowl. It doesn't bother me and I believe that the NFL obviously took this into consideration when granting the game to New York.

It's a basic risk matrix...you measure the likelihood and impact of each risk. The likelihood that they get such extreme weather is still very low (despite this prediction). Average temps that time of year are in the 30s. The impact if it were to happen would be significant, but oh well. As long as they play the game and the cameras don't freeze, I'll be fine!

Archived