Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

**nbc News.com**farmers Almanac: The Superbowl May Be "the Storm Bowl."

DM72

One thing I've learned from this so far... People sure don't mind sloppy football as long as it's snowing. Now I don't mind a few sprinkles (enough to whiten the field a little), but a full on snowstorm? Count me out. Then you have to think of the repercussions when it comes to traffic/parking, and just the overall fan experience in general.

I like how  people can kick it for an entire week in Miami, New Orleans, SoCal, etc for a week, before the games start, enjoying pleasant weather. Spending an entire week freezing your ass off, holed up in a hotel somewhere, doesn't sound very fun.

Snyder has talked about a temporary dome for a DC SB.

Problem for stadiums like FedEx and the Meadowlands is actually not being in the city. Ford Field is actually in downtown Detroit. Steelers are basically playing downtown, same as Philly and Indy. New England plays far away from Downtown Boston and the traffic sucks more than anything you have ever seen at FedEx.

The weather guys are usually wrong about winter weather that is suppose to hit 5 hours from now, so their predictions of weather 5 months from now really isnt useful...

As soon as they picked NY we all knew there was a chance of snow, rain, and most likely cold.  

I love it, the more snow the better, heck I want the snow to blowing so hard, you can barely see the field.  The NFL would probably cave and move the start time, which would look awesomely humiliating: a league that prides itself on having the toughest of the tough, has to cancel a game because of a little frozen rain.  And it's not like bad viewing conditions will hurt their bottom line this year, ads & sponsors ahave already paid, it might hurt them in future years, but the easy solution to that is not to have any cold weather open air stadium SuperBowls.   Much ado about nothing when you think about it.

As a Canadian, I love championship games in bad weather, I was an usher for the 1996 Grey Cup in Hamilton, huge storm hit, and it made the game awesome, probably one of the best Grey Cups I have ever seen. 

Miami was taken out of the rotation because of some rain. The NFL won't consider returning until the taxpayers fund a roof for the stadium.

But they'll put the game in New York in February. lol

I thought Miami was taken out of the rotation because the stadium is outdated.

I thought Miami was taken out of the rotation because the stadium is outdated.

It's really not. It's no worse than Fedex.

The league wants to protect it's advertisers and sponsors from sitting in the rain. The Dolphins have been working hard to get the taxpayers or legislature to fund a type of architectural overhang to accomplish that.

So far the citizens and the politicians aren't biting on having residents subsidize billionaires. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/06/door-not-completely-closed-on-miami-super-bowls/

Miami landed on the endangered Super Bowl species list after a continuous rainfall marred Super Bowl XLI between the Colts and the Bears.  The league wants the paying customers to be protected from the South Florida elements — less than a year before the NFL will be subjecting the paying customers to the New Jersey elements.

I think it's awesome. I also don't get the "egg on their face" posts about the NFL. I'm sure the NFL chose a cold weather city partly for cold weather potential. I would be more than surprised if the NFL was banking on an unseasonable 58 degree day in February.

Obviously some of the weekly events could be impacted by weather, but who cares? The game will be incredible if it's played in some sort of winter weather.

I think it's awesome. I also don't get the "egg on their face" posts about the NFL. I'm sure the NFL chose a cold weather city partly for cold weather potential. I would be more than surprised if the NFL was banking on an unseasonable 58 degree day in February.

Obviously some of the weekly events could be impacted by weather, but who cares? The game will be incredible if it's played in some sort of winter weather.

I don't think the NFL expected a 58 degree day in February, but I'm sure they weren't expecting a snowstorm or temps in the single digits. If a storm do happen for the SuperBowl, it will be a disaster.

I don't think the NFL expected a 58 degree day in February, but I'm sure they weren't expecting a snowstorm or temps in the single digits. If a storm do happen for the SuperBowl, it will be a disaster.

So, when the average HIGH temperature is 40 degrees (meaning for most of the events and almost all the game it will be far cooler than that) I would say that they were anticipating cold weather for this year's Super Bowl. I don't think there is a significant difference between freezing temps and single digits, especially when single digits had to be considered a distinct possibility.

Why would weather make it a disaster? Are you worried about the press days and parties or the football-centric things?

What a lame article.  5 months in the future means ****...although, in 2003 the Farmer's Almanac did predict the exact week that the President's Day Storm ended up hitting.

Either way it probably won't snow , it'll just be cold and everyone will stop whining like little girls when it's over.

The Patriots-Raiders 2001 AFC playoff game was an all-time classic.  Just remember that.  Snow isn't an issue in the confines of the game, BUT, travel to and from the game is the potential for massive problems.  But I'm guessing the NFL would organize some transportation service in that event.

So, when the average HIGH temperature is 40 degrees (meaning for most of the events and almost all the game it will be far cooler than that) I would say that they were anticipating cold weather for this year's Super Bowl. I don't think there is a significant difference between freezing temps and single digits, especially when single digits had to be considered a distinct possibility.

Why would weather make it a disaster? Are you worried about the press days and parties or the football-centric things?

As someone who lives in the north, I can tell you there's a big difference between low 30's and single digits. And I still don't think they expected single digits when they planned this. NYC/NJ usually isn't exactly GB or Buffalo in terms of winter.  

Miami has hosted the SB many times and it only rained once. Usually it will rain In the afternoon for an hour and then clear off.

Exactly. Since when is rain a problem?

If you are a fan that attends games in the north in the Winter, then I'm sure you'll cope with the game day experience in NY at the beginning of February. Once it gets dark it will get cold pretty quickly for sitting around, even without any type of winter storm event.

But how many of the typical Superbowl attendees are regulars at cold weather games? The typical half-time show might need some changes.  :)

Archived