3. Shayne Skov, ILB Stanford

Drafttek:

2. Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU

3. Gabe Jackson, OG Miss. St.

4. Seantrel Henderson, RT Miami (FL)

5. Taylor Hart, DE Oregon

6. Isiah Lewis, SS Michigan State

7. Josh Shirley, OLB Washington

Btw just wanted to give an update to y'all. I've now accepted a position as a guest blogger for Fanspeak.com so I'll be writing for them both Redskins and NFL draft material. I'm always open to suggestions and I figure ES is a great place to ask for suggestions 

Awesome man, post your stuff up on here and twitter (saw yours from this morning).

Check out this simulation, whatcha think? http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=guinxc

I know this is the draft thread but all the talk of Shazier and Telvin Smith and other LB prospects got me thinking of player that wouldn't cost a draft pick and wouldn't be very expensive and has already shown ability on the NFL level: Dakoda Watson.

Yeah we've thrown that name around a bit in the FA thread ... I like him and think he or a more expensive option, Donald Butler, mitigates the need for an early draft pick for ILB but ... but if we don't get a starting-caliber ILB in the FA cycle I'm game to go ILB int he 2nd or 3rd and a DE/WR/CB/OG elsewhere

Will you have any input in Fanspeak's mock draft simulator?  Their stuff so far seems much more realistic than the other mock draft simulator.

Yeah Steve has asked me to play around with it and give feedback on it. I figure around March or so we'll start to nail down the rankings of guys and have a truly clearer picture 

Awesome man, post your stuff up on here and twitter (saw yours from this morning).

Check out this simulation, whatcha think? http://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=guinxc

haha I appreciate it man. I do post all of my stuff onto twitter and you all can find my account below in my sig. As for the draft, I really liked it a lot. Figure we're going to see another dedication to the defense this year with some offensive additions as well 

Pro-Football-Reference says he only started 5 games in his career.  And he's never led the team in rushing attempts with his career high of 133 in 2011.  Blame Ryan Grant.

That comes more down to his frequency of injuries, but anyways, I figured with this being done in 2011 they'd have given him Starter credit for being the starting runningback down the stretch as we won the Super Bowl.

Yeah Steve has asked me to play around with it and give feedback on it. I figure around March or so we'll start to nail down the rankings of guys and have a truly clearer picture 

haha I appreciate it man. I do post all of my stuff onto twitter and you all can find my account below in my sig. As for the draft, I really liked it a lot. Figure we're going to see another dedication to the defense this year with some offensive additions as well 

Man, if there's any way to tie in LOGICAL trades ... ie somehow tie in a value chart that would be ideal. I'd love to work with the fanspeak format and be able to trade down (again, logically and realistically) in a few spots!

First Fanspeak Mock (get a feel for where guys go):

2. FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville

3. OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor

4. NT Daquan Jones, Penn State

5. RT Seantrel Henderson, Miami

6. SWR DeAnthony Thomas, Oregon

7. OLB Aaron Lynch, USF

Slightly different take ... not happy with the "lacking" OL but maybe this could be a draft that occurs if we sign a RT and RG in FA, I don't know. THe offensive weapons makes me happy though!

2. TE Jace Amaro, Texas Tech

3. ILB Christian Jones, FSU

4. WR Paul Richardson, Colorado

5. DE Ed Stinson, Alabama

6. CB Chris Davis, Auburn

7. WR Jalen Saunders, Oklahoma

Man, if there's any way to tie in LOGICAL trades ... ie somehow tie in a value chart that would be ideal. I'd love to work with the fanspeak format and be able to trade down (again, logically and realistically) in a few spots!

First Fanspeak Mock (get a feel for where guys go):

2. FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville

3. OG Cyril Richardson, Baylor

4. NT Daquan Jones, Penn State

5. RT Seantrel Henderson, Miami

6. SWR DeAnthony Thomas, Oregon

7. OLB Aaron Lynch, USF

Something that could work, will probably take time, but something I can pass along to him 

Something that could work, will probably take time, but something I can pass along to him 

Yeah, I have no idea how that works. And I know the draft-value chart is copyrighted, but I was just trying to think of a way to get Fanspeak (which I prefer, format-wise, to the other "be your own GM" option) to implement a trade value system. Otherwise, it's pretty flawless (aside from player rankings, which I know you'll work on)

DT RA’SHEDE HAGEMAN

MINNESOTA

ILB CHRISTIAN JONES

FLORIDA STATE

OT BILLY TURNER

NORTH DAKOTA STATE

OT SEANTREL HENDERSON

MIAMI

WR RYAN GRANT

TULANE

WR MATT HAZEL

COASTAL CAROLINA

Yeah I'd be quite happy with that mock. Good lord yes

Seems like doubling up on OT and WR isn't the best idea. I do like the Hagemen and Turner picks though.

So, I just find it funny that you could hate Ogletree last year but love Shazier this year. I'm clearly not getting the same vibe with Shazier as I got with Ogletree. They are different players, at least to me, but similar in a vein, in that both guys I would call more an athlete than a technician.

I also find it funny that you can love Shazier for being an undersized athlete playing LB, but only see Smith as situational or try to make him a position switch becuase of size ... even in the face of contradictory visual evidence.

Smith is tough and special and plays bigger than his weight. Smith's frame, incidentally, is actually taller and longer than LaVonte David's, FWIW.

People wanted to move Lavonte David to SS. People wanted to move Ogletree to SS. It's a mistake to move someone to a generic position just becuase he doesn't fit the mold.

I thought you would have believed in that since you're happy as peet for Aaron Donald.

I just ... play Smith at LB, that's what he does. If you want him to weigh more, hand him over to the strength coach and add the right weight.

Don't have time to reply to all of it, but I'll start with the link for the video had a timestamp embedded in to it.  Click the link and it should load at the 439 second mark (7:19).

Ogletree showed up at the combine at 242, that's a far cry from if Telvin is 217.  Again, the comparison to Donald is off because Donald has appropriate weight for the position.  I don't see how ANYONE thinks Telvin can play inside a 3-4 at 217.  Lavonte David and Timmons, both undersized, showed up at the combine above 233.  Look at Telvin's build and you can see that he has small legs.  He doesn't compare to those guys.  That extra length is also extra lankiness.

You change to a sideline view when the endzone view clearly shows Shazier wasn't majorly at fault there?  This isn't even up for debate, it's painstakingly obvious.  I like how you point to clips of Telvin taking on first year starters and compare it to taking on  full-sized senior players who show good technique.  That block by Shatley was textbook, and there's a reason he led Clemson in knockdowns.  That play would have leveled Telvin, I have no doubt about that.  The major problem on that play wasn't Shazier though, it was the excellent play of Thomas first knocking down the DT, and then knocking #55 yards out of the hole which delayed #37 from getting to Boyd in time and opened up a huge running lane.  Had #55 stood his ground even just a little Boyd had no lane to run through and if Shazier didn't make the tackle #37 would have.

You knock Shazier for only getting push when he's blitzing a blocker, but do you see Telvin when he blitzes?  If he gets picked up it's over.  There is 0 push by him.  It's almost laughably bad.  When he can avoid the block he looks great, but then again, so does Shazier.

Then you knock Shazier getting knocked back by Schofield, a veteran blocker who will at least get drafted, which makes me question your understanding of that play.  Shazier had to get outside to meet the runner, he wasn't quick enough to beat Schofield to the spot so he got blocked.  "But look at him get knocked back!"  you might say.  He could have tried to fight the block there, tried to stand his ground, but it would have been pointless because he'd be too far from making a play.  Instead he fights to get outside and gives up 2-3 yards.  Good call by the Michigan coordinator, 2 runners and 4 blockers to that side of the field with only really 4 defenders over there, completely impractical if you think Shazier could have made a play there.  You could debate that he should have been even faster to the spot, but calling him out for getting pushed a few yards back there is silly.  Fighting that block would have just been conceding the corner of the endzone.  If the runner was going to run inside of Schofield then you have a point to ridicule it, but when the play is going to the outside you can't be concerned about fighting a block 10 yards inside from the play just to impress an amateur draftnik.

After watching how he struggled at the Senior Bowl and looking back at the film, I see someone who could be a dominant OG.

Turner didn't struggle at all and had some dominant film this year, so you must mean Henderson. I'm not sure if he would fit at guard because one of his main problems was getting any leverage against the smaller opponents (everybody). With that said I would love to have him in the 5th or 6th because of that potential, just not if we draft another OT high.

Turner didn't struggle at all and had some dominant film this year, so you must mean Henderson. I'm not sure if he would fit at guard because one of his main problems was getting any leverage against the smaller opponents (everybody). With that said I would love to have him in the 5th or 6th because of that potential, just not if we draft another OT high.

Turner didn't struggle at all? You must not have read the tweets and reports of what he did while at Mobile, so i'm not even going to bother to pull them up 

See, with Henderson I felt the same way if he was his listed height at 6'8 (making him the tallest guard ever), but measuring in right under 6'7 has me more comfortable with the notion.  The cinci LT moved in to LG and has almost exactly the same measurements as Seantrel, and he was fantastic at guard this year.  Also that one huge draft bust in Oakland moved in to guard at 6'7 and played well enough there.  Henderson manhandled defensive ends in college without really using great leverage, he has a ton of brute strength, but I don't know how that looks matched up against DT's.  He would seem to have the size to handle NT's and the quickness to deal with 3 techs and you wouldn't have to worry how he performs in space.

Don't have time to reply to all of it, but I'll start with the link for the video had a timestamp embedded in to it. Click the link and it should load at the 439 second mark (7:19).

Ogletree showed up at the combine at 242, that's a far cry from if Telvin is 217. Again, the comparison to Donald is off because Donald has appropriate weight for the position. I don't see how ANYONE thinks Telvin can play inside a 3-4 at 217. Lavonte David and Timmons, both undersized, showed up at the combine above 233. Look at Telvin's build and you can see that he has small legs. He doesn't compare to those guys. That extra length is also extra lankiness.

You change to a sideline view when the endzone view clearly shows Shazier wasn't majorly at fault there? This isn't even up for debate, it's painstakingly obvious. I like how you point to clips of Telvin taking on first year starters and compare it to taking on full-sized senior players who show good technique. That block by Shatley was textbook, and there's a reason he led Clemson in knockdowns. That play would have leveled Telvin, I have no doubt about that. The major problem on that play wasn't Shazier though, it was the excellent play of Thomas first knocking down the DT, and then knocking #55 yards out of the hole which delayed #37 from getting to Boyd in time and opened up a huge running lane. Had #55 stood his ground even just a little Boyd had no lane to run through and if Shazier didn't make the tackle #37 would have.

You knock Shazier for only getting push when he's blitzing a blocker, but do you see Telvin when he blitzes? If he gets picked up it's over. There is 0 push by him. It's almost laughably bad. When he can avoid the block he looks great, but then again, so does Shazier.

Then you knock Shazier getting knocked back by Schofield, a veteran blocker who will at least get drafted, which makes me question your understanding of that play. Shazier had to get outside to meet the runner, he wasn't quick enough to beat Schofield to the spot so he got blocked. "But look at him get knocked back!" you might say. He could have tried to fight the block there, tried to stand his ground, but it would have been pointless because he'd be too far from making a play. Instead he fights to get outside and gives up 2-3 yards. Good call by the Michigan coordinator, 2 runners and 4 blockers to that side of the field with only really 4 defenders over there, completely impractical if you think Shazier could have made a play there. You could debate that he should have been even faster to the spot, but calling him out for getting pushed a few yards back there is silly. Fighting that block would have just been conceding the corner of the endzone. If the runner was going to run inside of Schofield then you have a point to ridicule it, but when the play is going to the outside you can't be concerned about fighting a block 10 yards inside from the play just to impress an amateur draftnik.

So you are saying that it's ok that Shazier gets destroyed because "so would smith" and you also point out that "at least he got destroyed by someone who would get drafted or who leads Clemson in knockdowns". You would also think someone who's game lives and dies with quickness would also be able to beat a 6"6 310 pound right tackle to the hole. David and Timmons are both "undersized" because they stand just over 6"0 tall and weigh close to 230, a big difference from someone who is 6"3 and will probably show up around 225-230. I also find it pretty hilarious when you pointed out that both guys "get 0 push after getting picked up by a blocker". How many ILB do you see run over guys who outweigh them by almost 100 pounds? Hardly ever. I'm also not sure about it you were talking about attacking a blocker in the run game or blitzing, but in the run game you try to avoid the linemen and attack the ball carrier, and if you can't you at least take out the linemens legs. Getting driven 5 yards into the end zone is literally the last thing you should do. Making excuses for Shazier just makes yourself look bad.

So you are saying that it's ok that Shazier gets destroyed because "so would smith" and you also point out that "at least he got destroyed by someone who would get drafted or who leads Clemson in knockdowns". You would also think someone who's game lives and dies with quickness would also be able to beat a 6"6 310 pound right tackle to the hole. David and Timmons are both "undersized" because they stand just over 6"0 tall and weigh close to 230, a big difference from someone who is 6"3 and will probably show up around 225-230. I also find it pretty hilarious when you pointed out that both guys "get 0 push after getting picked up by a blocker". How many ILB do you see run over guys who outweigh them by almost 100 pounds? Hardly ever. I'm also not sure about it you were talking about attacking a blocker in the run game or blitzing, but in the run game you try to avoid the linemen and attack the ball carrier, and if you can't you at least take out the linemens legs. Getting driven 5 yards into the end zone is literally the last thing you should do. Making excuses for Shazier just makes yourself look bad.

He didn't get destroyed.  #55 got destroyed.  Shazier got knocked back, but it's not like he was shoved yards out of that hole.  And the play with Schofield wasn't to a hole, it was in the open field and Schofield had position on him and fired off the line untouched.  You see Shazier try to race past him but there just wasn't enough room near the goal line.

And again, did you watch that Schofield play?  Seriously, watch it before you type.  There would have been 0 point in taking out his legs or trying to stand him up.  The runner was FAR outside on the play.

And I also didn't say both guys get 0 push.  I said when they are blitzing Shazier at least gets some push.  If Telvin blitzes and they get hands on him then there is 0 push from him.

I'm kinda glad he brought up Ogletree, since he is a reason why I'm not down on Shazier.  Ogletree has a lot of the same negatives as Shazier and he's worked out fine in the pros so far, even though I disliked him a lot last year (though St Louis was a good spot for him for sure).

He didn't get destroyed. #55 got destroyed. Shazier got knocked back, but it's not like he was shoved yards out of that hole. And the play with Schofield wasn't to a hole, it was in the open field and Schofield had position on him and fired off the line untouched. You see Shazier try to race past him but there just wasn't enough room near the goal line.

And again, did you watch that Schofield play? Seriously, watch it before you type. There would have been 0 point in taking out his legs or trying to stand him up. The runner was FAR outside on the play.

And I also didn't say both guys get 0 push. I said when they are blitzing Shazier at least gets some push. If Telvin blitzes and they get hands on him then there is 0 push from him.

I'm kinda glad he brought up Ogletree, since he is a reason why I'm not down on Shazier. Ogletree has a lot of the same negatives as Shazier and he's worked out fine in the pros so far, even though I disliked him a lot last year (though St Louis was a good spot for him for sure).

I did watch the play, but there is no excuse for getting taken for a ride like that. Both guys get little push when blitzing but when you are 6"2-6"3 220-230 you aren't gonna win too many 1 on 1s when the linemen gets their hands on you. You don't see many 250 pound linebackers do that either. Also the BIG difference between Ogletree and Shazier is that we run a 3-4. Ogletree has played outside linebacker in a 4-3 and was below average this year anyways. You seem to think that Monk is saying that Smith would come in and start, when in reality he is saying he would be a nickel linebacker who could bring versatility to our defense, you seem to be saying Shazier would come in and start, and everything I've seen from him says he is strictly a 4-3 OLB.

See, with Henderson I felt the same way if he was his listed height at 6'8 (making him the tallest guard ever), but measuring in right under 6'7 has me more comfortable with the notion.  The cinci LT moved in to LG and has almost exactly the same measurements as Seantrel, and he was fantastic at guard this year.  Also that one huge draft bust in Oakland moved in to guard at 6'7 and played well enough there.  Henderson manhandled defensive ends in college without really using great leverage, he has a ton of brute strength, but I don't know how that looks matched up against DT's.  He would seem to have the size to handle NT's and the quickness to deal with 3 techs and you wouldn't have to worry how he performs in space.

I think there's enough there as far as {potential} to grab Henderson to play LG if he's there in the 5th. If you sign a FA to replace Chester ... grab Hendeson in the 5th to be a versatile option along the line. Don't make him a day-1 starter, keep Licht there ... but boy what a weird depth chart that would be. LG 1 is 6'3 280 LG 2 is 6'7 350 haha

Archived