Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

How many of you ES guys would kill for this draft? Here's what Drafttek has right now:

2: Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU

3: Zack Martin, OG Stanford

4: Morgan Moses, RT UVA

5: Taylor Hart, DE Oregon

6: Carl Bradford, OLB Arizona State

7: Hakeem Smith, SS Louisville

Also of note:

DE Stephon Tuitt @ 41

OG Su'a-File @44

DE Aaron Donald @48

NT Daquan Jones @62

OG Zack Martin @66 (to us) (3rd)

DE Will Sutton @67

ILB Christian Jones @73

OG Gabe Jackson @72

OT James Hurst @80

ILB Yawin Smallwood @82

OT JuWuan James @88

WR James Abbrederis @92

OT Seantrel Henderson @95

RB De'Anthony Thomas @96

OT Morgan Moses @98 (4th)

NT Daniel McCullers @125

WR Martavis Bryant @141 (5th)

OC Bryan Stork @144

ILB Telvin Smith @151

OG Brandon Thomas @153

NT Justin Ellis @157

ILB Max Bullough @172 (6th)

WR Jalen Saunders @179

Putting the potential trade backs together with where Drafttek has some guys slotted:

2(55): Zack Martin, OG Notre Dame

3(66): Christian Jones, ILB FSU

3(94): Ed Stinson, DE Alabama

4(98): EJ Gaines, CB Mizzou

4(106): Aaron Lynch, OLB USF

5(130): Justin Ellis, NT La. Tech

5(141): Martavis Bryant, WR Clemson

6(161): Jalen Saunders, SWR Oklahoma

More picks would be nice.  But it's tough since #34 is basically a late 1st rounder (depending on some drafts).  There could be some legitimately nice 1st round talent that falls to #34.

How many of you ES guys would kill for this draft? Here's what Drafttek has right now:

I mean, that would unbelievably awesome, since we'd be getting 3 possible 1st rounders in one draft.  Depending where you look, Kelvin Benjamin, Martin, and Moses are all 1st rounders.

Unless I'm mistaking Zach Martin for another Zach Martin, he went to Notre Dame not Stanford.

When was the last time Drafttek updated its player rankings?  I'm guessing about a month ago?

What if we released Bowen/Carriker and re-signed Baker and brought in Lamar Houston from Oakland? Then we signed Donald Butler at ILB to go along with a re-signed Perry Riley. DO you go ILB or DE at 34? Or do you think you're good enough there to look elsewhere and get "depth" at DE and ILB in the 4-6th range?

If Donald or Martin aren't there, I'd be tempted to trade back. Such a deep draft, I would love to trade from 34 to somewhere around 42-46 and get an extra 3rd although that doesn't work out too well on the trade chart.

Trading down from 34 to 46 would, value-wise, allow you to add a 4th and a 5th. I'd be okay with that too.

I don't think Oakland lets their best player walk.  They are no longer in a cap nightmare so they should have room to sign or franchise him.  I'm also partial to signing Karlos Dansby over Butler.  Sure, Butler probably has more upside, but Dansby is the better player and will be cheaper because of age.  We got London at about the age Karlos is now and he played a solid 5 pro bowl caliber years for us.  Also interested in Raji.  At times Raji has looked like one of the best DE in the league, other times he looks like one of the worst.  He turned down an 8 mil per year offer from GB, I highly doubt he gets offered better than that by anyone else.  If he goes for around $6 mil a year I'd roll the dice (comparatively Bowen is making a little over $5 mil a year), but I wouldn't go much higher than that.

If we did actually cover our ILB and DE needs in FA, and Donald wasn't there, I would probably draft WR or TE at 34.

Seems a little outdated.  If this were to happen the first 4 rounds are golden but in the 5th I'd go Ford, Bryant, or Jean-Baptiste easily over Hart.  Thing is, I think Ford is up to a 2nd rounder now and Bryant is likely a 3rd.  SJB may be a 3rd rounder as well.  So yeah, not particularly realistic at the moment.

I mean, that would unbelievably awesome, since we'd be getting 3 possible 1st rounders in one draft.  Depending where you look, Kelvin Benjamin, Martin, and Moses are all 1st rounders.

Unless I'm mistaking Zach Martin for another Zach Martin, he went to Notre Dame not Stanford.

When was the last time Drafttek updated its player rankings?  I'm guessing about a month ago?

Updated rankings January 18. And yeah, I meant Notre Dame, my bad.

Perry Riley did improve in that area, but all that could mean is that he went from disastrous to not terrible.  It's difficult for me to tell how good he is in coverage now, because of how bad he was beforehand.

Also, with how Haslett likes to interchange players and keep offenses guessing, we really need both of our ILB's to be able to cover.

I think Riley has some coverage ability and plays with some force in the run game. He's steady with some flashes of brilliance. Not quite a hammer like say a B.Spikes but not quite a speed/run and chase guy either.

Maybe the new staff will have better pass coverage rules/coaching. I thought our ILB did too much spot drop and not enough pattern match. *Shrugs*

Does anyone have more thoughts on McGill?

Any games in particular? I haven't watch him yet but have time.

Not sure.  Draftbreakdown has 4 videos up. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/keith-mcgill/

Felt like he was fairly similar and consistent in 3 of them.  And then the Colorado game happens.  My recollection is that he was better against UCLA and Arizona State, then BYU, then a drop off with Colorado.

BYU he was against Cody Hoffman, whose even bigger than he is, and it seemed like he wasn't quite sure how to play him.  But he's only really had 1 year of experience and didn't do too poorly.

But basically Colorado + at least one of the others.

I think Riley has some coverage ability and plays with some force in the run game. He's steady with some flashes of brilliance. Not quite a hammer like say a B.Spikes but not quite a speed/run and chase guy either.

Maybe the new staff will have better pass coverage rules/coaching. I thought our ILB did too much spot drop and not enough pattern match. *Shrugs*

I recommend checking out Pryor vs Rutgers.  That's probably the best game from a safety I've seen this year.  That Louisville defense lines its safeties up so deep.  I'm impressed with his ability to come from 25 yards deep to help in run support.  That game is really what got my high on Pryor.  I feel like since safeties work in so much space, one of the most important traits is taking the right angle to the play, and I don't think any safety in this class matches his ability in doing that.

And this may be a little early for next year, but how about that Barry Sanders from Stanford?  Watched his screen while watching Bucannon, and that kid looks just like his dad out there.  Shouldn't have anyone ahead of him on the depth chart next year and will be a junior.  I could see him declaring after a big year.  And funny enough that Detroit looks like a good fit for him (as Bush will be 30 going in to that season).

Felt like he was fairly similar and consistent in 3 of them.  And then the Colorado game happens.  My recollection is that he was better against UCLA and Arizona State, then BYU, then a drop off with Colorado.

BYU he was against Cody Hoffman, whose even bigger than he is, and it seemed like he wasn't quite sure how to play him.  But he's only really had 1 year of experience and didn't do too poorly.

I think it's pretty apparent that McGill is a guy learning the CB position. Had discussed it with others on twitter, but I wonder how he does some of the things he does at times and still makes the play. 

I must not be getting something about Christian Jones, maybe his 2012 film is a lot different.  But from the two videos of him against Miami and NC State in 2013, he was on the LoS so much he probably had his hand in the dirt more than 50% of the time.

How do we know he'll transition to ILB in a 3-4 well?

Keith McGill vs BYU: 20 plays +4/-6.....3 plays made in coverage

Doesn't bring arms to wrap lacks pop. Dives and misses too often. Disinterested tackler. Good pursuit angles. Lackadaisical effort. Break on passes thrown in front of him. High point defelection to end half. PI refs missed on 1st play. In position on comeback (play 7) didn't fire his gun. Played off coverage man and zone. Good movement skills.

McGill vs Colorado: 28 plays +5.5/-9....2 plays made in coverage

Doesn't bring arms to wraps. Cut/dive tackler misses too often. Disinterested tackler. Good pursuit angles. Lackadaisical effort. Breaks on passes thrown in front of him. Consequently gets caught flat footed should have been beat for TD is WR could catch. Beat on a go route for no good reason. Questionable coverage awareness/recovery beat for TD. Played mostly off a sprinkle of man. Good movement.

Physical skillset is there. Questionable effort. Lacks aggression. Doesn't strike me as a 'football' player.

Gambles to break on routes thrown in front of him.

Not my type of player. Can coach a lot of things but hard to coach 'want to'. Project player/late round pick tempting because of physical skillset.

*I may be overall skewed/harsh because the only other CB cut-ups I viewed were Dennard and Gilbert.*

I must not be getting something about Christian Jones, maybe his 2012 film is a lot different.  But from the two videos of him against Miami and NC State in 2013, he was on the LoS so much he probably had his hand in the dirt more than 50% of the time.

How do we know he'll transition to ILB in a 3-4 well?

He played alot of ILB but went to end for some reason and was ineffective. Is a GREAT athlete but I just don't see him starting day 1 because he just simply isn't a great player. 

Keith McGill vs BYU: 20 plays +4/-6.....3 plays made in coverage

Doesn't bring arms to wrap lacks pop. Dives and misses too often. Disinterested tackler. Good pursuit angles. Lackadaisical effort. Break on passes thrown in front of him. High point defelection to end half. PI refs missed on 1st play. In position on comeback (play 7) didn't fire his gun. Played off coverage man and zone. Good movement skills.

McGill vs Colorado: 28 plays +5.5/-9....2 plays made in coverage

Doesn't bring arms to wraps. Cut/dive tackler misses too often. Disinterested tackler. Good pursuit angles. Lackadaisical effort. Breaks on passes thrown in front of him. Consequently gets caught flat footed should have been beat for TD is WR could catch. Beat on a go route for no good reason. Questionable coverage awareness/recovery beat for TD. Played mostly off a sprinkle of man. Good movement.

Physical skillset is there. Questionable effort. Lacks aggression. Doesn't strike me as a 'football' player.

Gambles to break on routes thrown in front of him.

Not my type of player. Can coach a lot of things but hard to coach 'want to'. Project player/late round pick tempting because of physical skillset.

*I may be overall skewed/harsh because the only other CB cut-ups I viewed were Dennard and Gilbert.*

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Nice job man. 

I love how you speak in straight hyperbole with prospects. Tuitt isn't "trash" 

Ok, maybe he isn't trash, but compared to the other prospects we could possibly have at 34, he is trash. If you want me to explain why I think he is trash at 34 I certainly will, but this is coming from someone who has watched every video of his I could find. 

Ok, maybe he isn't trash, but compared to the other prospects we could possibly have at 34, he is trash. If you want me to explain why I think he is trash at 34 I certainly will, but this is coming from someone who has watched every video of his I could find. 

I think he's asking you to explain why you think he is trash...

I think he's asking you to explain why you think he is trash...

Well, ok

Negatives: pretty much no explosiveness

inconsistent run defender

benefited from great teammates

inconsistent pass rusher

doesn't have many pass rushing moves

plays weak 

Positives: Looked really good in 2012 at times

Splits double teams consistently

Will flash and make quick stops or will beat a guy with an inside move occasionally

Was seriously miscast in ND's defense

Has great size and is naturally athletic but needs to play lighter

I have a mid 3rd early 4th grade on him, but he will of course go much earlier just based on potential/2012 tape. Biggest problems I have are his strength and explosiveness. He was pretty bad in 2013..

Walter Foosball Update: 

34. Stephon Tuitt, DE/DT Notre Dame

66. Christian Jones, ILB Florida State

98. Jared Abbrederis, WR Wisconsin

Only difference is if we cannot snag Collins in the FA pool then I think we should look James Hurst/Seantrel Henderson in the 4th and boost the line a little bit more or even a guard at that point in time.

Key is I believe that we should attack the Offensive and defensive lines. The rest should fall into place afterwards.

Would be killer to walk out of Free Agency with 3 players.

Geoff Schwartz

Anthony Collins

Mike Neal

No TRUE big name player, I guess Collins would be your biggest name either him or Schwartz.

Draft snagging Tuitt,Jones,WR/OG (I'm liking Martavius Bryant or Joel Bitonio)

That way our lines would look a little something like this.

Mike Neal/J.Jenkins, Barry Cofield/C.Baker, Stephon Tuitt/???

T.Williams/Compton,Schwartz/Gettis,Licht/Lerib,Hurt/Bitonio,Collins/Polumbus

I still think we'll go after Collins in FA just because it makes too much sense. So all of my assumptions are that happens and we are set at OT with Polumbus sticking around as the 4th guy. I also think we'll sign a FS and CB, re-sign all of the key guys sans Rob Jackson ... and target a DL (whether it's Houston or Neal).

That would allow us to go interior OL, WR, ILB, DE/NT in the draft ... or generally BPA since I think there are enough young guys in certain places (except WR) where we could get away with another year of not finding "the guy"

I still think we'll go after Collins in FA just because it makes too much sense. So all of my assumptions are that happens and we are set at OT with Polumbus sticking around as the 4th guy. I also think we'll sign a FS and CB, re-sign all of the key guys sans Rob Jackson ... and target a DL (whether it's Houston or Neal).

That would allow us to go interior OL, WR, ILB, DE/NT in the draft ... or generally BPA since I think there are enough young guys in certain places (except WR) where we could get away with another year of not finding "the guy"

To play the spoiler, the bengals have plenty of cap space and there's no reason for them to not re-sign him with only 2 ufa.  One of Monroe or Oher should be on the market though, as there is no conceivable way that Baltimore signs both.  With Ricky Wagner sitting in the wings at RT I expect Oher to be the one who hits the market, and he could be a very solid get.

I live Baltimore and listen to the local radio at times and the talk seem like there is very little chance the front office brings Oher back.

Typically this front office doesn't do what makes sense. But I don't think the FO upgrading RT and CB will be high on the list in the face of all the other needs. I don't think they can/will address every need.

I think they will commit top level resources to a couple positions, fill a couple of spots with band aids and give young guys a chance at some other spots.

(Mike Neal is not a 34 DE)

Archived