Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

One guy I'm surprised isn't getting much love lately is Brandon Linder out of the U. Currently he's got projections in that 5th round range, but I think he can be a starting OG in the NFL. Has his warts and isn't always the best technical guy, but at 6'5 316 I see a guy who can come in learn and take over. 

One guy I'm surprised isn't getting much love lately is Brandon Linder out of the U. Currently he's got projections in that 5th round range, but I think he can be a starting OG in the NFL. Has his warts and isn't always the best technical guy, but at 6'5 316 I see a guy who can come in learn and take over.

With how his teammate seantrel has fallen I'd think he's the better value there. He may be able to move inside and has the athleticism of an lt, just not the technique and perhaps the instincts. Put him in less space, let him pull or match him up against the big guys inside and he may excel at that. He was pretty good at getting to a target downfield so I'd imagine he would be a natural at pulling.

Linder I'd have to watch more closely. That line allowed 12 sacks in 13 games, so those guys did something right.

Yeah, legitimate question about Seantrel. He's an absolute mammoth and if I recall he was something like the #1 overall recruit that year he went to Miami over USC after the scandal. 

But what are his prospects as a LG? If he could be drafted in the 5th round ... oh man, that would be a great add. I can't imagine we'd be the only ones thinking that way though...

For those of us looking closely at the SAF position here is Pete Carrol on the SAF/FS postion:

"the two Safeties are both fill where needed sort of players......

The Free Safety is the force player to the open side or weak side of the ball.....The Free Safety works off of the Defensive End and fills where he is needed on run plays."

"The defensive backs that are the best run defenders are our safeties. The Free Safety is a player who makes a lot of tackles for us......He has to have good instincts. He is what we call a natural player. You don't have to coach this player too much. He has to have a feel for the everything and understand the big picture."

"Teach your [safeties] to play the deep middle and forget about all the confusing rules........All they need to know is their primary responsibility and then secondary. At the highest level in the NFL, the pass game is as complex as you can imagine. However, if a defender can play the post and the seam route then they can learn to play at that level. The thing that kills and breaks down a defense is a ball being thrown over the defender's head for a touchdown."

http://trojanfootballanalysis.com/?p=308

Yeah, legitimate question about Seantrel. He's an absolute mammoth and if I recall he was something like the #1 overall recruit that year he went to Miami over USC after the scandal. 

But what are his prospects as a LG? If he could be drafted in the 5th round ... oh man, that would be a great add. I can't imagine we'd be the only ones thinking that way though...

Anyone who has that natural size/strength/athleticism should be a superstar. The fact he isn't and struggled SO much in the senior bowl is very worrisome. He still has pro bowl potential if he gets it all together.  

For those of us looking closely at the SAF position here is Pete Carrol on the SAF/FS postion:

"the two Safeties are both fill where needed sort of players......

The Free Safety is the force player to the open side or weak side of the ball.....The Free Safety works off of the Defensive End and fills where he is needed on run plays."

"The defensive backs that are the best run defenders are our safeties. The Free Safety is a player who makes a lot of tackles for us......He has to have good instincts. He is what we call a natural player. You don't have to coach this player too much. He has to have a feel for the everything and understand the big picture."

"Teach your [safeties] to play the deep middle and forget about all the confusing rules........All they need to know is their primary responsibility and then secondary. At the highest level in the NFL, the pass game is as complex as you can imagine. However, if a defender can play the post and the seam route then they can learn to play at that level. The thing that kills and breaks down a defense is a ball being thrown over the defender's head for a touchdown."

http://trojanfootballanalysis.com/?p=308

I have no clue how to compare what our safeties do to what the Seahawks do.  Pete Carroll has a very consistent defense from play to play.  Haslett has a safety move around all over the place.  He even puts corners at safety because he wants to utilize more speed and more deception.

Maybe if Haslett kept things a bit simpler for our young safeties, they'd earn more playing time as they grew comfortable with their tasks.

If we can somehow land Calvin Pryor in the 2nd, Christian Jones in the 3rd, Daniel McCullers in the 4th, this defense would be 10x better instantly (granted we retain Hall, Orakpo, Riley)

Pryor won't make it past the Packers in the first round and the other 2 are developmental players who wouldn't be starters for years. 

Wholeheartedly disagree on Jones, but i'm not going to rehash this same argument again 

If you are looking at linebackers, Telvin Smith is better version of Jones, probably more NFL ready too. Not many linebackers in this class though, kinda disappointing. Not sure what to think of Borland right now either. 

If you are looking at linebackers, Telvin Smith is better version of Jones, probably more NFL ready too. Not many linebackers in this class though, kinda disappointing. Not sure what to think of Borland right now either. 

Smith is a 220 pound LB who could be successful in a 4-3 scheme. Jones is scheme diverse IMO

Have you ever actually seen Jones play? Because he lines up like a 3-4 OLB on every play and I don't know if he has ever played ILB. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/timmy-jernigan-vs-auburn-2013/ Watch for number 7

Have I watched Jones play? Is that a serious question? Because if you want to know I can let you know really what Jones does

Jones due to injuries lined up as a hybrid 4-3 SLB along with lining up at DE. So no he really doesn't line up similar to a 3-4 OLB because in a mix of that role that Orakpo had his rookie year. The difference is I've seen Jones line up and play coverage. I fully think with his 240+ frame and his athleticism he can be a fit in either a 3-4 ILB position or a 4-3 OLB hybrid position 

Well, I ask that because you seem to think a guy who played at DE the majority of the year could somehow step in and start on an NFL team as an ILB because he is athletic. Anyway, how would you rank the LB's in this draft?

But putting a <220 pound linebacker at ILB seems like asking to be ran on.  Our nt is already undersized, guards would have a field day against Smith.  Heck, fullbacks would have fun pushing him out of the hole.  I'm not a stickler who says linebackers must be 250+, but at under 220 there are actually corners who are larger than Telvin.

Also Jones is listed as an ILB on any draft site I can find.  He played there his previous year.  FSU lost 3 good pass rushers and thus he moved to the blindside (where he wasn't ridiculously effective).  D&S isn't hypothesizing that he could make the transition there, he's played extensively at ILB and has been in coverage a lot.

But putting a <220 pound linebacker at ILB seems like asking to be ran on.  Our nt is already undersized, guards would have a field day against Smith.  Heck, fullbacks would have fun pushing him out of the hole.  I'm not a stickler who says linebackers must be 250+, but at under 220 there are actually corners who are larger than Telvin.

Also Jones is listed as an ILB on any draft site I can find.  He played there his previous year.  FSU lost 3 good pass rushers and thus he moved to the blindside (where he wasn't ridiculously effective).  D&S isn't hypothesizing that he could make the transition there, he's played extensively at ILB and has been in coverage a lot.

Nah dude I'm just making this all up  :lol:

If he is 220 or 230 it doesn't matter at all. Just like it doesn't matter if a guy is 5'11 or 6'0. Anyway about Jones, I'm not saying i'm against drafting him at all, I just don't think he could be a day 1 starter. I mean, even his biggest fans have to admit that Jones is slated as a 2nd-3rd rounder for a reason despite his very apparent size and speed combo. 

If he is 220 or 230 it doesn't matter at all. Just like it doesn't matter if a guy is 5'11 or 6'0. Anyway about Jones, I'm not saying i'm against drafting him at all, I just don't think he could be a day 1 starter. I mean, even his biggest fans have to admit that Jones is slated as a 2nd-3rd rounder for a reason despite his very apparent size and speed combo. 

Yeah because he's not a guy who is a perfect day one starter. I've admitted that from the get go. Then again we could just start going through all of the 2nd-3rd round prospects and say the same damn thing if you want 

I have no clue how to compare what our safeties do to what the Seahawks do.  Pete Carroll has a very consistent defense from play to play.  Haslett has a safety move around all over the place.  He even puts corners at safety because he wants to utilize more speed and more deception.

Maybe if Haslett kept things a bit simpler for our young safeties, they'd earn more playing time as they grew comfortable with their tasks.

Haslett actually plays a lot of Cover 1 and Cover 3 w/ a single high/centerfield FS and a SS in the box. But I posted those comments because the traits Carrol describes are valuable for any SAF in any scheme. 

Yeah because he's not a guy who is a perfect day one starter. I've admitted that from the get go. Then again we could just start going through all of the 2nd-3rd round prospects and say the same damn thing if you want 

But I thought you just said you wholeheartedly disagree with my statement saying he wouldn't be a starter? 

Here's an early scouting report on Christian Jones from cbssports:

STRENGTHS: Tremendous athlete with has fluid footwork who flawlessly flips his hips to blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage. Tall and long, which he uses well in coverage. Plays with excellent range and speed to chase down the action, taking proper angles in pursuit. Flashes the take-on strength to blow past blockers when he uses proper technique.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his awareness to turn his head and find the ball. Length is advantageous, but at times will cause him to play too upright, and he needs to improve his overall leverage, especially on tackle attempts. Will get hung up on blocks at times

There's no indication why he can't be a day 1 starter as an ILB. His weakness are coachable/correctable. His athleticism isn't. With the aforementioned report, I find it strange how he's getting a 3rd round grade.

As for McCullers, he doesn't need to be a world beater, his sheer mass will command a double team and free up the rush on the inside/out

Here's an early scouting report on Christian Jones from cbssports:

STRENGTHS: Tremendous athlete with has fluid footwork who flawlessly flips his hips to blanket tight ends or receivers down the field in coverage. Tall and long, which he uses well in coverage. Plays with excellent range and speed to chase down the action, taking proper angles in pursuit. Flashes the take-on strength to blow past blockers when he uses proper technique.

WEAKNESSES: Needs to improve his awareness to turn his head and find the ball. Length is advantageous, but at times will cause him to play too upright, and he needs to improve his overall leverage, especially on tackle attempts. Will get hung up on blocks at times

There's no indication why he can't be a day 1 starter as an ILB. His weakness are coachable/correctable. His athleticism isn't.

As for McCullers, he doesn't need to be a world beater, his sheer mass will command a double team and free up the rush on the inside/out

This is the same website that said Shariff Floyd was a guaranteed top 10 pick. I also disagree about McCullers, just because he is big doesn't mean he needs a double team, something you see on all of his college tape.. But that is just my opinion, you can choose to agree or disagree. When it's all said and done I'm sure I will be wrong on a number of guys anyways. You never know with the draft.

Archived