9-Jarvis Landry

10-Devante Adams

11-Paul Richardson

12-Martavis Bryant

13-Robert Herron

14-Jared Abbrederis

15-Bruce Ellington

Gotta love the class.

IIRC doesn't CBS use NFLdraftscout?  Or somehow they end up with the same rankings if I remember right.

Or maybe that's what you were saying and I misunderstood.

What would be cool is if we could somehow assign a weight to each site's rankings, kind of like how FiveThirtyEight assigns weight to pollsters.  Not really sure how we'd go about doing that though, haha.

Gotta love the class.

Yep.  You also gotta think that if we're seriously targeting a WR in the 2nd, that there's a real possibility that we can trade back and still get great value.  It's gonna depend on how much separation there is on our board, and who is available when we pick.

I just think that there will be a few QB reaches in the 1st round, and in turn I expect there to be a player or two we can't pass up at 34.  It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out.  But yes...the WR class is deep.  Several guys on there that would look great in B&G.

Yep. You also gotta think that if we're seriously targeting a WR in the 2nd, that there's a real possibility that we can trade back and still get great value. It's gonna depend on how much separation there is on our board, and who is available when we pick.

I just think that there will be a few QB reaches in the 1st round, and in turn I expect there to be a player or two we can't pass up at 34. It's gonna be interesting to see how it plays out. But yes...the WR class is deep. Several guys on there that would look great in B&G.

I like Jared Abbrederis more than just about every WR in this class that is realistically obtainable. The LSU WRs are 2 of my favorite offensive players though and are the only 2 WRs id take over Abbrederis.

I like Jared Abbrederis more than just about every WR in this class that is realistically obtainable. The LSU WRs are 2 of my favorite offensive players though and are the only 2 WRs id take over Abbrederis.

I kind of think Odell Beckham and Abbrederis are similar-ish players.  I like Beckham more, but they do remind me of each other.

Quick look back at last years (productive 30+ receptions) drafted WRs in descending order of productivity:

Keenan Allen-76th

Hopkins-27

Ace Sanders-101

Marlon Brown-UDFA

Patterson-29

Terrance Williams-74

Tavon Austin-8

Woods-41

Dobson-59

Kenny Stills-144

Thompkins-UDFA

3-4 end prospects? 

Hmmm maybe.

34-Allen Robinson-WR/Ryan Shazier ILB/Morgan Moses-OT

66-Deone Bucannon-SAF/Jack Mewhort-OT/Martavis Bryant-WR

98-Christian Kirksey ILB/Jared Abbrederis-WR/JaWuan James-OT

130-Arthur Lynch-TE/Craig Luston-SAF/Crockett Gillmore-TE

162-Michael Schofield-OT/Ronald Powel-LB/Ed Stinson-DL/Brett Justin-OT

194-Preston Brown-ILB/Kevin Norwood-WR/Shamar Stephen-DL

Key UDFA-L'Damian Washington

Quick look back at last years (productive 30+ receptions) drafted WRs in descending order of productivity:

Keenan Allen-76th

Hopkins-27

Ace Sanders-101

Marlon Brown-UDFA

Patterson-29

Terrance Williams-74

Tavon Austin-8

Woods-41

Dobson-59

Kenny Stills-144

Thompkins-UDFA

Hmmm maybe.

Punters?

j/k....

ILB?

34-Allen Robinson-WR/Ryan Shazier ILB/Morgan Moses-OT

66-Deone Bucannon-SAF/Jack Mewhort-OT/Martavis Bryant-WR

98-Christian Kirksey ILB/Jared Abbrederis-WR/JaWuan James-OT

130-Arthur Lynch-TE/Craig Luston-SAF/Crockett Gillmore-TE

162-Michael Schofield-OT/Ronald Powel-LB/Ed Stinson-DL/Brett Justin-OT

194-Preston Brown-ILB/Kevin Norwood-WR/Shamar Stephen-DL

Key UDFA-L'Damian Washington

I'll tease this out, but just did a write up on L'Damian Washington and some other WR's. If you develop Washington you could be onto something good with him 

graphics-flashing-light-172182.gif Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Alert graphics-flashing-light-172182.gif

Clarence Bumpas – ILB – Northern Colorado

Team Profile: http://uncbears.com/sports/fball/2013-14/bios/bumpas_clarence_vhx1

Honors and Awards

2013 2nd Team All-Big Sky Linebacker

2013 Preseason Big Sky All-Conference:                      July 15, 2013

2013 Buck Buchanan Award Watch List:                        July 11, 2013

2013 Preseason All-America Sports Network:              July 1, 2013

2012 Buck Buchanan Award Watch List:                        July 19, 2012

2012 Preseason All-Big Sky Conference Linebacker: July 15, 2012

2012 Preseason All-America Sports Network:              July 10,2012

2011 2nd Team All-Big Sky Linebacker:                          November 22, 2011

2012:

Named to the Buck Buchanan Award Watch List

Named preseason All-America Second Team by both The Sports Network & College Sporting News

Suffered a season-ending injury in the fifth game of the season against Montana

Recorded at least eight tackles in all five games, hitting double figures in two

Still ended the year 4th on the team in total tackles.

Intercepted his first career pass against Colorado Mesa.

2011:

Played in all 11 games for the Bears. Started every game at middle linebacker

Recorded 145 tackles, which ranked fourth in the nation among FCS defensive players

56 of his tackles were solo stops, 10.5 tackles for loss

Had 19 tackles in the game against Weber State

Accounted for 10+ tackles in 9 of the 11 games

2nd Team All-Big Sky linebacker

Had 15 more tackles than anyone else in the Big Sky Conference

One of six players to top 100 tackles on the season

Also ranked in the top 10 in the league statistics in tackles for loss (10.5) and fumbles recovered (2).

2010 (at Kansas State): Played in one game, recording one tackle against Missouri State.

2009 (at Kansas State): Redshirted.

High School:

A three-star prospect & the 65th-ranked outside linebacker in the nation by Rivals out of Sierra High School

Named 1st team All-Conference and All-Area as a junior and senior

Also earned All-State 4A honors as a senior

Combined for 28 sacks his final two seasons, including 16 as a junior

Recorded 73 tackles his senior campaign

2008 PrepColorado 4A All-State

Also won two letters in basketball and qualified for State in the 4x100 and 4x200 relays.

Personal:

Born April 12

Son of Kristina Bumpas

Majoring in communications with a minor in sociology

Clarence had a son, Justyce Elijah, who was just 23 months old when he tragically passed away on June 8, 2013.

Draft Scout Profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=90759&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

12/31/13 - 2013 ALL-BIG SKY 2nd TEAM (COACHES): ILB Clarence Bumpas, Sr, Northern Colorado

Bumpas, a senior from Colorado Springs, led the team in tackles for the second time in three years, notching 106.

He also recorded 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 quarterback sacks, two pass breakups, one quarterback hurry and a blocked kick.

He finished his standout career with 300 total tackles and is the FCS active leader in tackles per game with 11.11. - Northern Colorado football

2013:

Name                    Team                 CL    Position    G     Solo Tackle   Asst Tackle   TT     TPG

Clarence Bumpas  Northern Colo    Sr         ILB        11            42                   66          108     9.8

graphics-flashing-light-172182.gif

Roosevelt Nix

First player in KSU history & fifth player in MAC history to earn first team all-conference honors in four seasons

Draft Scout Profile: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110890&draftyear=2014&genpos=ILB

12/15/13 - 2013 ALL-MAC FIRST TEAM: Down Lineman - Roosevelt Nix, Kent State

Nix led the Golden Flashes in tackles for loss (13.0), sacks (3.5) and quarterback hurries (6), despite playing through injuries during much of the season.

He also forced two fumbles, made 41 tackles, broke up five passes and blocked a kick.

Nix (2010-13) joins:

defensive back Davonte Shannon, Buffalo (2007-10)

defensive back Barry Church, Toledo (2006-09)

punter Dave Zastudil, Ohio (1998-2001)

quarterback Brian McClure, Bowling Green (1982-85)

on the prestigious list of four-year, first team honorees.

"Rosie didn't play a lot of snaps in a lot of our games, but when he was in there, he was very effective," Head Coach Paul Haynes said. "And to get voted first team, this shows you the respect he gets around the league." - Kent State football

11/04/13 - WEEK 10 MAC EAST DIVISION DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:

Kent State DT Roosevelt Nix

Senior defensive tackle Roosevelt Nix (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) forced a fumble, recorded two sacks, added three tackles for loss and four solo tackles in a 16-7 loss at Akron.

His forced fumble set up a 42-yard Kent State touchdown drive. Nix’s two sacks were for a loss of 21 yards and moved him into second place among the Flashes’ career sack leaders with 23.5.

Akron’s 304 total yards were the fewest allowed by the Kent State defense since the season opener against Liberty.

Nix raised his career tackle for loss total to 62.5 and his forced fumble total to 11. - MAC football

08/29/13 - PLAYERS TO WATCH IN 2013:

DL Roosevelt Nix turned in another solid season as a junior. He was fifth on the team with 59 tackles, but still lived in opponents' backfields. Nix had 15 tackles for losses totaling 72 yards, including six sacks for a total of 45 yards.

He also recorded six quarterback hits, forced three fumbles and recovered a fumble. - The Sports Xchange

07/18/13 - 2013 LOMBARDI AWARD WATCH LIST: DE Roosevelt Nix, Kent State

Kent State senior defensive tackle Roosevelt Nix (Reynoldsburg, Ohio) was named to both the Nagurski and Outland Trophy Watch Lists on July 11 and the Rotary Lombardi Trophy Watch List on July 15.

Making his second straight appearance on the Outland list, Nix is one of only 19 defensive players in the group and one of three Mid-American Conference players in the entire group of 75 players.

He made the Nagurski list for a third consecutive season and is one of 28 linemen with that distinction. Just two MAC players are on the entire Nagurski group of 81. - Kent State football

Player Profile: http://www.kentstatesports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=5307

Career

• First player in KSU history & fifth player in MAC history to earn 1st team all-conference honors in four seasons
• Ranks second among Kent State career sack leaders with 24.0

• Kent State's career leader in tackles for loss with 65.0
• Twelve forced fumbles

2013 Senior Season

• Named to SI.com All-America Team
• Named All-MAC First Team
• Selected to play in Medal of Honor Bowl
• Led team with 13.0 tackles for loss and tied for team lead with 3.5 sacks
• Recorded six tackles, one tackle for loss and forced a fumble in the win at Ohio
• 4.0 tackles for loss against Bowling Green were the most by a MAC player in a game in 2013
• Recorded his third career blocked kick against Buffalo
• Led the team with eight tackles during the victory at Western Michigan
• Voted defensive captain by teammates
• Named to Nagurski, Outland and Bednarik Award Watch Lists
• Named to Phil Steele's Preseason All-American Fourth Team
• Named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Akron

2012 Junior Season

• Named to All-MAC First Team

• Finished the year with 59 tackles, 15 tackles for loss, and six sacks

• Named to Phil Steele's postseason All-MAC First Team squad

• Recorded five tackles and his sixth sack of the year during the 44-37 loss Nov. 30 to Northern Illinois

• Recorded a sack and a tackle for loss in the 28-6 victory Nov. 23 over Ohio

• Named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week vs Akron

Named OhioCollegeFootball.com Defensive Player of the Week for his performance against Akron

• Recorded nine tackles, a sack, forced fumble, and a tackle for loss in the 35-24 victory Nov. 3 over Akron

• Recorded two tackles for loss and recovered a fumble in the 41-24 victory Oct. 20 over Western Michigan

• Named to Phil Steele's mid-season First Team All-MAC squad

• Recorded five tackles, two tackles for loss, and a sack during the 31-17 victory Oct. 13 at Army

• Forced a fumble, recorded a sack & 2 tackles for loss, along with 5 solo tackles in the 45-43 win over Ball State

• Earned Honorable Mention for D.Lineman Award of the Week from College Performance Awards vs Ball State

• Forced a fumble and recorded two tackles in the 23-7 victory Sept. 19 at Buffalo

• Recorded eight tackles, a sack, and four tackles for loss in a 41-21 victory Aug. 30 over Towson

• Earned Honorable Mention for D.Lineman Award of the Week from College Performance Awards vs Towson

• Voted Team Captain by teammates and coaches

• Named to Outland Trophy and Nagurski Trophy Watch Lists

• Named to Phil Steele's 2012 Preseason All-MAC First Team and Athlon All-MAC First Team

• Named to Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List

2011 Sophomore Season

• Named to All-Mid-American Conference First Team; second straight season

• Led the team with 17.0 tackles for loss and finished second in sacks (4.5)

• Forced a team-high three fumbles and totaled 39 tackles

• Recorded a sack and four tackles for loss against Eastern Michigan

• Named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week after matching a career-high of six tackles at Akron. 

• vs Akron He added 1.5 TFL, 2 pass break-ups and nearly blocked a punt that resulted in a 10-yard kick.

• Named MAC East Defensive Player of the Week vs Miami: 

vs Miami 6 tackles, 4 solo tackles, 2 TFL, a forced fumble, 2 quarterback hurries and a pass breakup

• Recorded a sack, two tackles for loss and six total stops at Alabama

• Scored first career touchdown after recovering a fumble against Bowling Green

• Named to Bednarik and Nagurski Watch Lists, both honoring nation's top defensive player

• Claimed spot on Rotary Lombardi Award Watch List, honoring nation's top lineman

• Forced a fumble that led to KSU touchdown against South Alabama

• Made four stops with two tackles for loss and forced a fumble at Northern Illinois

• Named to Phil Steele's All-MAC First Team & Midseason All-MAC First Team

• Named to OhioCollegeFootball.com All-Ohio First Team

• Named to Phil Steele's Preseason All-MAC First Team and Blue Ribbon's forecasted all-conference team

2010 Freshman Season

• Became the first freshman to be named MAC Defensive Player of the Year in the 45-year history of the award

• Named a first-team Freshman All-American by Sporting News, Rivals.com, Phil Steele, CollegeFootballNews.com and the Football Writers Association of America.

• Earned MAC Freshman of the Year honors and All-MAC First Team accolades

• Led the MAC with 20 tackles for loss, which tied for fourth in the nation

• Named to Phil Steele's Mid-Season All-American Fourth Team

• His 10 sacks set KSU single-season freshman record and ranked 11th in the NCAA

• Forced a fumble in four of first five games

• Finished the year with 43 tackles and eight quarterback hurries

• Named MAC Defensive Player of the Week after recording a season-high 3.5 sacks, forced fumble vs Akron

• Blocked a field goal and recorded a sack in win over Ohio

• Had a sack, three tackles for loss, three quarterback hurries and forced a fumble at Miami

• Forced fumbles and recorded sacks in each of his first two games (Murray State & Boston College)

• Earned Performer of the Week defensive line honorable mention by College Football Performance Awards after tallying five tackles, 2.0 sacks, 3.5 tackles for loss and a blocked extra point at Bowling Green 

• Matched career-high of five tackles against Temple

Prior To Kent State

• Named OCC player of the year, 2nd team All-State, 1st team All-District, All-Metro, & All-OCC as a senior

• Played for Ohio in the 2010 Big 33 Classic

• Selected to play in the Ohio North-South All-Star Game and in the Big 33 Game

• As a junior, recorded 84 tackles, 34 tackles for loss and eight sacks, which earned him second team-all state, all conference, first-team all district, Super 25 and first team OCC

• Coached by Steve Evans

• Also lettered in wrestling

Personal

• Born Mar. 30, 1992

x

Ranks second among Kent State career sack leaders with 24.0

• Kent State's career leader in tackles for loss with 65.0
• Twelve forced fumbles

Took a quick peak at his cut-ups and he's playing DT

I could seem him as an OLB in a 34 or DE in a 43 easier then ILB but if he were to transition could see him as a the 'buck' ILB in a 34

Dude has a weird body for the NFL but from the short time i'm watching he looks like a football player

he so much quicker at the snap then everyone it jumps out

2: Odell Beckham Jr.↓ ||  J. Landry ↓

3: Telvin Smith

3: Jimmie Ward

4: Jalen Saunders ↑    ||  D. Moncrief ↑

5: Brandon Thomas    ||  Michael Schofield

6: Tre Boston

7: J.C. Copeland         ||  Phillip Gaines

The arrows, btw, reflect that if you get Beckham as a hybrid Outside guy in the 2nd, you'd look for a Slot guy like Saunders, if he fell to the 4th. But if you got a hybrid Slot guy in Landry in the 2nd, you'd look for an Outside receiver like Moncrief, if he slid to the 4th.

I don't know about Moncrief.  Some sites have him as high as a 3rd rounder, but I'm just not really seeing it.  A lot of his plays seem to be the defense forgetting about him, WR screens, etc.

Here's a huge play where it looks like he got open because the corner thought he had a zone underneath and the safety didn't move over.  Either the corner or the safety screwed up their coverage assignment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuAy3GY9A_M#t=198

There are some things I like, and some I don't.  He doesn't have burst, but he'll probably run a solid 40.  It takes awhile for him to pick up speed.  Inconsistent method for catching the ball.  Seems like his preferred method for catching it his with his body, but every now and then he'll extend his arms to get it away from his frame.  He struggles with those catches, but I'm not really going to knock him for that, until I see more film of him.

He's a pretty decent blocker on the run, but that's mostly due to size and length over the corners.  Occasionally (not often), he'll get aggressive with his blocking.  So I think he can improve further in that area.

I think some of his breaks are too slow for the NFL level.  And he doesn't fight his defender enough for the ball and/or positioning despite his size.

Bumpas is (ideally) a special teammer to start, a camp body for competition at ILB. He doesn't possess great speed, it's good enough for FCS but not NFL fast.

He's a bit of a dive and drag tackler, part of that is because he's not greased lightning and has to dive to get ball carriers. He's definitely UDFA. But for a camp competition guy, rotational guy, this is what I look for.

Incidentally Bumpas' injury from 2012 that ended his season was a ruptured pectoral muscle.

Nix has starter level upside to me.

That get-off, that first step and the quickness, combined with his pursuit, are all QB rusher qualities. He's definitely is a rush outside linebacker in a 3-4, for me. He does have some potential for a Thumper role as an interior backer. He would likely need to gain some more weight for a traditional 7-Tech.

I like Nix a ton because this guy continues my theme, in the mock draft yesterday, of getting hybrid athletes.

I want to get guys who can play football, are athletic and can line up just about anywhere and everywhere. I want speed and quickness and toughness.

Jimmie Ward is a hybrid. He'll be a Slot DB, cover receivers (WRs) but at the same time have the strength to cover against TEs too. He'll play single-high FS, even Cover 2, but I love him for his Slot coverages. He plays like a CB. Hybrid.

Telvin Smith is a hybrid, self explanatory. Odell Beckham is a hybrid. Landry is hybrid Slot WR.

Tre Boston is a hybrid. He'll play deep-middle FS, roll to the box for Short Zone and fly around on run support. He'll knock snot-bubbles out your nose. He could even play boundary CB with how flexible and limber he is. He's got smooth hip transfers. He can move fluidly.

J.C. Copeland can be used multiple ways as a hybrid. You literally could bring Copeland in on Tackle-Over sets to block at goalline. You could line him up at TE and use his athleticism to block downfield, 2nd and 3rd level. He could easily line up in the backfield at FB. Copeland blocks better than anyone I can remember in a long time. He blocks like an O-Lineman from his 6'1", 270 lbs frame.

All hybrids.

Lamarr Houston is a hybrid guy who can line up as 3-Tech or 7-Tech, or as 3-4 rush OLB, or a Sam LB in a 4-3 Under.

G. Schwartz is hybrid G/T. Brandon Thomas is a former college LT switching to LG. Schofield can play either RT or RG, imo.

That's why I like Nix. If I could land the lot of 'em, the future D would create to great levels, IMO.

Moncrief

I'll have to try and work up a decent response here on specifics with Moncrief and why I like him. Safe to say that there are many WRs in this draft that I like better than he.

But, after a couple of guys fall away, get selected, like M. Evans, Benjamin ... you are really only left with a few TRUE vertical outside receivers.

One guy who I've talked about transitioning more toward the vertical game was Robinson, but he's an early 2nd round guy and certainly isn't (or hasn't) been developed as an exclusive vertical outside receiver.

J. Matthews is another guy who is basically neck and neck with Robinson in many respects. He too is another early 2nd rounder.

So availability comes into play.

I don't want to get into it real deep, but I could tangent out onto the Bill Polian area where he says that 40% of the information on a prospect is proprietary info/metrics that the clubs hold themselves and no one on the outside ever gets to see. Things like really in-depth physicals, stress tests (joint flexion & cardiovascular fitness), psychological exams and background checks, past injuries and surgeries, classroom stuff, etc.

So ... there's some stuff there to separate Robinson and Matthews even though they are very similar.

Now, back to what I was saying, one of the vertical outside guys is M. Bryant. So, in that mock you quoted, I basically said: "In round 3, I'm looking specifically for Jimmie Ward and Telvin Smith," thus I took Bryant out of the equation without ever mentioning him. I actually like Bryant.

Also in that mock you quoted, Moncrief was a secondary option. I explained that it would only come to pass if I couldn't land Beckham, first of all, in the 2nd. If I actually had to get a hybrid Slot guy like Landry then I wouldn't select another Slot guy later on.

Assuming I got an outside guy earlier, then in the 4th, if I couldn't get Saunders as a Slot, I actually would consider Dri Archer. I failed to list him - I need to go back and update that.

But anyway, my explanation said I was looking for an outside guy then an inside guy or vice versa - an inside guy then an outside guy.

Moncrief, after maybe a couple of guys, just a few really, really becomes the only vertical guy left. So that is part of it, but not the whole part.

I'll work on a post about Moncrief himself.

My list of guys who are later round prospects who may also be available after the draft.

Potential Undrafted Rookie Free Agent List:

Phillip Gaines – CB – Rice (6th,7th, UDFA)

Greg Hardin – WR – North Dakota (7th, UDFA)

Keith Price – QB – Washington

Jeff Mathews – QB – Cornell

Franklyn Quiteh – RB – Bloomsburg (listed @#964 on CBS as of Feb. 4, 2014)

^ *I actually think he gets drafted, well before UDFA.

Branden Oliver – RB – Buffalo

Tim Flanders – RB – Sam Houston State

Johnnie Farms – DL – Memphis

Wade Keliikipi – DL – Oregon

Roosevelt Nix – LB – Kent State (rush OLB / possible ILB) - * He'll get drafted, definite.

Clarence Bumpas – ILB – Northern Colorado (special teams, ILB)

Caleb Lavey – ILB – Oklahoma State

Greg Blair – ILB – Cincinnati

Erik Lora – WR – Eastern Illinois

Corey Washington – WR – Newberry

Mike Campanaro – WR – Wake Forest

Jerry “BooBoo” Gates – SAF – Bowling Green

Jonathan Dowling – FS/CB – Western Kentucky

Dillon Farrell – C – New Mexico

Tyler Shatley – OL/DL – Clemson – the honorary J.R. Sweezy UDFA :)

Brian Clarke – C/G – Bloomsburg

Matt Feiler – OT – Bloomsburg

??? – Need to research more, watch tape:

Kaleb Ramsey – DL – Boston College

Jack Moro – SAF – St. Cloud State

Jimmy Bennett – OT – Connecticut

Sullivan Grosz – DL – Cal Poly

Jarvis Byrd – SAF – NC State (Bad ACL stuff, 3 tears)

Bookie Sneed – DB – Sam Houston State

Dan France – OL – Michigan State

Guys who I really love: Greg Hardin, Roosevelt Nix (he'll get drafted, won't be available), BooBoo Gates (athlete), Erik Lora, Phillip Gaines, Johnnie Farms (such a quick first step for a 300+ lbs D.Lineman, possibly weighing 320), Branden Oliver (mighty mite)

Archived