Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

As needy as we are on defense it just seems wrong to go WR with Donald or Tuitt still available. That being said, if we do go WR, I'm hoping for kelvatron.

I think you'll see a focus in someways in FA on the Defense to help Haslett immediately along with some picks in the draft for the Defense. You'll see more of a retool on Offense and if we are smart with the money we can make some significant changes fast 

you caught me boss haha

And seriously I'd take Jarvis Landry any day of the week on this team. Same with OBJ

Landry is the safest bet in the WR class, in that post 1st round through the 2nd round, in my estimation, because of his hands. I've always gravitated toward him more, of the LSU guys.

Beckham, reminds me of Steve Smith (carolina).

Hoping and praying we can get Kyle Shannahan to lobby Cleveland to trade us 35th pick for Cousins. I'm rolling with that, since it's more fun :)

Trade 34 to San Francisco for 55 (2nd) and 77 (3rd)

Trade 35 to Minnesota for 40 (2nd) and 104 (4th)

Picks: 2nd (40), 2nd (55), 3rd (66), 3rd (77), 4th (98), 4th (104), 5th (130), 6th (162), 7th (194)

That's how you start to build a championship team. LOAD UP on 2nd/3rd/4th ...

2 (40): DE Aaron Donald, Pitt

2 (55): DT Daquan Jones, Penn State

3 (66): ILB Christian Jones, FSU

3 (77): SWR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State

4 (98): CB Chris Davis, Auburn

4 (104): OG Seantrel Henderson, Miami (FL)

5 (130): WR Martavis Bryant, Clemson

6 (162): ILB Jack Tyler, Virginia Tech

7 (194): PUNTER

FA: FS Michael Mitchell, CB Walter Thurmond, RT Anthony Collins, DE Lamarr Houston

Re-sign: OLB Brian Orakpo, ILB Perry Riley, DE Chris Baker, CB DeAngelo Hall, OLB Darryl Tapp

Would be an amazing defensive upgrade, literally at every position!

DE: Baker, Houston, Donald, Jenkins

NT: Cofield, D. Jones

ILB: Riley, Jones, Robinson, Tyler

OLB: Orakpo, Kerrigan, B. Jenkins, D. Tapp

CB: Thurmond, Amerson, Hall, C. Davis, Crawford, Minnifield

FS: Mitchell, Rambo

SS: Thomas, Gumbs

Champ-yun-chips

Hey, just going off drafttek. All those players are available in their 2/2/14 mock where I put them. I can use Walter since people seem to think that's more accurate, but you get the point (insert Mike Davis instead). 

Over the years I found the sites below to be the most accurate:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2014&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

I still check out Walters because they have a lot of information compiled but their assessments? nah

DG:

Walter's 4 Rounder for the same picks:

2 (40): David Yankey, LG Stanford

2 (55): Christian Jones, ILB FSU

3 (66): Will Sutton, DE Arizona State

3 (77): Brandin Cooks, SWR Oregon State

4 (98): Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood

4 (104): Daquan Jones, NT Penn State

Or based on Sports XChange round placements:

2 (40): Allen Robinson, WR Penn State

2 (55): Cyril Richardson, LG Baylor

3 (66): Loucheiz Purferoy, CB Florida
3 (77): Christian Jones, ILB Florida State

4 (98): Jalen Saunders, WR Oklahoma

4 (104): Justin Ellis, NT La. Tech

5 (130): Brent Urban, DE Virginia 

6 (162): Aaron Lynch, OLB USF

I'm sure the combine will change things up a bit ... but I would take any of those 3 drafts. The theme: Big CBs, young pushers up front, and depth at LB. Grab a couple WRs and an OG on offense. Let the rest fall into place beforehand in FA (FS, RT, CB, DE)

As needy as we are on defense it just seems wrong to go WR with Donald or Tuitt still available. That being said, if we do go WR, I'm hoping for kelvatron.

The thing is, Aaron Donald and Zack Martin have played themselves into the 1st round. I might like to deceive myself otherwise, but if I had a 1st round selection for this team and we were somewhere between 15 and 32, both guys would be my priority, for this our current team.

I don't think either are there in the 2nd.

If Donald or Z. Martin were on the board at #34, you don't trade down, you select 'em. But outside of a handful of guys, like those two, I'm not sure how many guys are must select.

I personally don't think Tuitt is a must guy at #34.

Aloha
a3426856746_2.jpg

DG:

I'm sure the combine will change things up a bit ... but I would take any of those 3 drafts. The theme: Big CBs, young pushers up front, and depth at LB. Grab a couple WRs and an OG on offense. Let the rest fall into place beforehand in FA (FS, RT, CB, DE)

Not big into the trade based speculations but would be dissappointed to come away from a draft with all those picks and not land a OT or SAF

Not big into the trade based speculations but would be dissappointed to come away from a draft with all those picks and not land a OT or SAF

Well my speculation is that RT and FS would be addressed via free agency. So if we signed FS Michael Mitchell and RT Anthony Collins ... I'm less inclined to go SAF/OT. Likely have 4 guys (TWill, Compton, Polumbus, Collins) at OT and Mitchell/Rambo and P. Thomas/Gumbs/Merriweather at SS.

I wouldn't be against going SAF in the 3rd or 4th but we went there twice last year and I'd like to see those guys before necessarily spending another draft pick on a safety.

I think we could find a quality starting caliber SAF in the 2nd-3rd round.

Agreed. But remember, at this point in time last year, both Thomas and Rambo were looking to be in that "starter" range of 2nd-3rd round. Both slipped ... and everyone was stoked that we got them ... potential starters at FS and SS for the long-term. That said, it didn't work out this year (injuries) ... and I think FS is the biggest need. So if we go FS in FA ... let the youth grow and see what they can contribute. SS might be the biggest "hole" next year on the defense going with Thomas/Gumbs ... bringing back Meriweather mitigates that a bit ... but we can't have studs all over hah

Although I would NOT complain if we went out and signed Mitchell at FS and Whitner at SS ... bump Rambo/Thomas to depth/developmental types and go into 2014 knowing you had two studs at the safety positions. I'd be inclined to say I'd rather have Mitchell ($4m) and Whitner ($6m) than Byrd ($9m)

Well my speculation is that RT and FS would be addressed via free agency. So if we signed FS Michael Mitchell and RT Anthony Collins ... I'm less inclined to go SAF/OT. Likely have 4 guys (TWill, Compton, Polumbus, Collins) at OT and Mitchell/Rambo and P. Thomas/Gumbs/Merriweather at SS.

I wouldn't be against going SAF in the 3rd or 4th but we went there twice last year and I'd like to see those guys before necessarily spending another draft pick on a safety.

I would approach FA in a manner that wouldn't limit draft plans.

RE:Wanting to see our SAFs before spending a draft pick on a SAF

If that is the case then why address SAF position with the resources required to land a FA SAF like Mitchell? Wouldn't a less long term FA signing be more in keeping with a mindset of wanting to see our guys at SAF?

Agreed. But remember, at this point in time last year, both Thomas and Rambo were looking to be in that "starter" range of 2nd-3rd round. Both slipped ... and everyone was stoked that we got them ... potential starters at FS and SS for the long-term

I can't speak for anyone else but I certainly did not consider Thomas nor Rambo as 'starting' caliber. They were both towards the bottom of my SAF rankings last year mainly because compared to the other SAFs were slow and couldn't tackle. Neither slipped in my view they went about where I expected, if anything I thought Thomas went higher then I thought. I was not stoked to get them but I gave them let I do every prospect/coach a clean slate and judge them based on what they do as pros. And low and behold Rambo struggled in the tackling department and despite that was out playing Thomas in training camp. In short they were who I thought they were.

... and I think FS is the biggest need. So if we go FS in FA ... let the youth grow and see what they can contribute. SS might be the biggest "hole" next year on the defense going with Thomas/Gumbs ... bringing back Meriweather mitigates that a bit ... but we can't have studs all over hah

The secondary and SAF are far from my biggest needs list in FA and philosophically in team building.

If you bring back Meriweather why not bring sign Charles Woodson who is a better version of Meriweather. A short-term starter that is a bridge/insurance policy to younger players?

Although I would NOT complain if we went out and signed Mitchell at FS and Whitner at SS ... bump Rambo/Thomas to depth/developmental types and go into 2014 knowing you had two studs at the safety positions. I'd be inclined to say I'd rather have Mitchell ($4m) and Whitner ($6m) than Byrd ($9m)

I would rather spend fewer resources (Charles Woodson/Meriweather or Ryan Clark) on the SAF position and continue drafting prospects (rounds 2-4) then spend 9-10 mil on the position via FA. 

FA: L. Houston  ||  G. Schwartz  ||  A. Mack  ||  Cam Thomas  || H. Melton  ||   ...   ||  ...  ||

FA: possible: W. Woodyard (?)  ||  unlikely, but wish for: J. Veldheer

-->check that on c. thomas, rather double down with both Melton and L. Houston.

2: Odell Beckham Jr.↓                      ||  J. Landry ↓

3: Telvin Smith

3: Jimmie Ward

4: Jalen Saunders ↑ / (Dri Archer)   ||  D. Moncrief ↑

5: Brandon Thomas                         ||  Michael Schofield

6: Tre Boston

7: J.C. Copeland                              ||  Phillip Gaines

Likely unrealistic - need a lot of slides and things to fall the right way. The draftees range is stretched to the very edge of their availability. A lot of best case scenario there.

The arrows, btw, reflect that if you get Beckham as a hybrid Outside guy in the 2nd, you'd look for a Slot guy like Saunders, if he fell to the 4th. But if you got a hybrid Slot guy in Landry in the 2nd, you'd look for an Outside receiver like Moncrief, if he slid to the 4th.

There are only a few guys I would consider not trading down for. There are also a handful I would consider trading into the late 20's for if the following guys fell.

Trade up:

Louis Nix

CJ Mosley

Kony Ealy

Darqueeze Dennard

Stay put:

Odell Beckham/Jarvis Landry

Reshede Hagemen

Aaron Donald

Zach Martin

Xavier Su'a Filo

Otherwise, just trade down. 

James Ward 2nd game (vs Florida St. 2012): 41 plays +16/-2 (+3 cov)

Consistently brought his arms to tackle. 2 misses. Hits with pop. Willing tackler. Good pursuit paths. Active player. Fought to get off blocks. Good technique in man coverage. Comfortable making a play on the ball at the moment of truth, used off arm to knock ball out of receivers hands. 2 Blitz pressures off the edge. Played Deep Half and  and slot man. Very good movement skills for a SAF moves like a CB.

Craig Luston (vs TCU 2013): 20 plays +8/-2 (+2 cov)

Sometimes brought his arms to tackle more of a cut/dive tackler 1 miss. Hits with pop. Willing tackler. Good pursuit paths. Needs to fight harder to get off blocks. Good awareness in coverage. Aggressive with WRs to break-up passes and hit. Played Deep Half and with some Center field FS. Good movement.

(Didn't grade Ha-Ha because I don't think he'll be around and didn't want tease/torture myself)

(1) Deone Bucannon (x2) SS/FS-15

(2) James Ward (x2) FS-14

(3) Calvin Pryor (x2) FS/SS-9.5

(4) Ahmad Dixon (x1) SS/FS-8

(5a) Craig Luston (x1) FS-6

(5) Terrance Brooks(x2) SS/FS-6

(7) Ed Reynolds (x1) FS/SS-5.5                                                                      

drop off

(8) Jema Thomas DB-more CB then SAF

(9) Don Bailey (x1) DB-"

(10) Lamarcus Joyner DB-"

(11) Marqueston Huff SAF-SAF

Hey guys, I know that there's no substitute for watching game tape, but I was wondering what websites that rank prospects do you look at.

I was going to try compiling a spreadsheet with rankings from all these sites, and sort of see where things go.  After all a bunch of opinions are better than one, and the combined consciousness of many tends to be more accurate than any single person (unless it ends up being an echo chamber).

Anyways, currently I've got:

- ESPN/Scouts Inc.

- CBS Sports

- WalterFootball

- Drafttek

There were another couple professional ones I remember seeing but I can't remember what they are.  If anyone knows, please tell me.  Thanks.

Hey guys, I know that there's no substitute for watching game tape, but I was wondering what websites that rank prospects do you look at.

I was going to try compiling a spreadsheet with rankings from all these sites, and sort of see where things go.  After all a bunch of opinions are better than one, and the combined consciousness of many tends to be more accurate than any single person (unless it ends up being an echo chamber).

Anyways, currently I've got:

- ESPN/Scouts Inc.

- CBS Sports

- WalterFootball

- Drafttek

There were another couple professional ones I remember seeing but I can't remember what they are.  If anyone knows, please tell me.  Thanks.

CBS sports is definitely the best. Walter is ok too, their mock drafts are terrible though. 

Matt Miller's Post-Super Bowl Mock:

2. Rashede Hagemon, DT Minnesota

3. Xavier Su-a'Filo, OG UCLA

4. Yawin Smallwood, ILB UConn

5. Jared Abbrederis, WR Wisconsin

6. Bennett Jackson, CB Notre Dame

7. Cody Hoffman, WR BYU

I would be siked about every one of those picks, They don't seem at all realistic though. 

Over the years I found the sites below to be the most accurate:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=QB&draftyear=2014&sortby=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

http://www.draftnasty.com/football/

Draftnasty but they don't update til later in the draft process.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/

I don't use them but draftcountdown is another site

Is this more or less the consensus WR list from nfldraftscout:

1-Sammy Watkins

2-Mike Evans

3-Marqise Lee

4-Kelvin Benjamin

5-Odell Beckham

6-Allen Robinson

7-Brandin Cooks

8-Jordan Matthews

9-Jarvis Landry