Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

I like Richardson as a pick in the 2nd better than Benjamin because of concerns with Benjamin's separation and skills. But I also really like Gabe Jackson at Guard, who is being projected as available in the third, not sure there is in reality too much between him and Richardson. So do you go with Benjamin and hope Jackson is still there in the third? (Or go all in with Richardson in the 2nd and Jackson in the 3rd :)!)

Benjamin is scary. I mean scary in a very good way. Who can match up with him one on one? Revis, Sherman. Maybe one or two more corners. But that's it.

Throw him in a system with a solid #1 guy and look out. Would love to have this kid in Dallas opposite of Dez Bryant.

I'm seeing comparisons to Megatron but I don't think he's on that tier yet. But man, the arrow is pointed up with this kid and he is just getting better!

Please, PLEASE let the Cowboys draft a WR that takes forever to generate speed coming out of breaks, needs a good 2 yards to stop so he gives his routes away, and most importantly can't change direction at the required speed to get open in the NFL. He'll do well on vertical routes in the NFL provided he has players around him that can cause his area of the field to be vacated, but if the arrow is pointed up on him that's a defensive coordinator indicating the only routes he can run.

I like Richardson as a pick in the 2nd better than Benjamin because of concerns with Benjamin's separation and skills. But I also really like Gabe Jackson at Guard, who is being projected as available in the third, not sure there is in reality too much between him and Richardson. So do you go with Benjamin and hope Jackson is still there in the third? (Or go all in with Richardson in the 2nd and Jackson in the 3rd :)!)

What I love about Richardson is how he uses his strength in the run game to blow people out of the hole. It's really awesome to watch. That's one thing Jackson doesn't do and one reason why a player with his physical attributes is a projected 3rd rounder, however I haven't seen a guard his size pass protect as well as he has. Just gives up no ground at all. I really like both guys and would be happy with either although I like Richardson a little more.

Top 15 pick for me. Wouldn't even surprise me if we saw an Eric Fisher type rise out of him throughout the process. 

I agree 100%, he could be top 5 come draft day, I think he is better than Fisher and has all the tools to be an All Pro for years and the next great left tackle in the NFL.  

You can have 3 all pro WR's and if your oline sucks then you wont be able to do ANYTHING on offense. Look at the Cards, Jags ect.

Guards are easier to find than receivers. That delta is the source of the disparity in positional value.

In the end though, I go with Richardson. It's a tough choice, but I think Richardson is just a better player and I've got to go with the BPA. The difference is big enough that I would put Richardson in a tier above Benjamin.

I agree 100%, he could be top 5 come draft day, I think he is better than Fisher and has all the tools to be an All Pro for years and the next great left tackle in the NFL.  

I do too, but there are still concerns with Robinson more so with his pass blocking. I think he does have all-pro potential, but still is behind Jake Matthews for me 

I do too, but there are still concerns with Robinson more so with his pass blocking. I think he does have all-pro potential, but still is behind Jake Matthews for me 

Yeah his run blocking is definitly ahead of his pass blocking right now, he is an absolute road grader in the run game.

I like Gabe Jackson too. It would be hard to pass on Richardson at #34. I would prefer that we sign a guy like Geoff Schwartz in free agency and make OG in the draft less of a need. If we do that, and we don't reach for an OG in the draft, we can still go with Lichtensteiger/Gettis/LeReibus in hopes that one of them emerges. I think our OL was a victim of very poor play and that just upgrading Chester and Polumbus will have a ripple effect on Monty/Licth ... but that said, I would love Gabe in the 3rd.

The question is, if you get someone like Schwartz in FA but not an RT ... would you be okay with going OT in the 2nd and OG in the 3rd? In that case, I'd almost rather go OT in the 2nd or 3rd and wait until the 4th or 5th to get someone like Bryan Stork who can come in and play a number of interior positions, but also not be pressured to start Day 1 with the interior depth we already have.

Also, this hasn't been brought up much lately ... but has Cousins' trade value completely plummeted or is there a chance we can still get a team's 2nd for him? I'm not as pressed to trade him since I think he played himself out of a QB controversy, but whoever the new head coach is might want to bring in a veteran from his system to help ease the learning curve for Griff. If that's the case, I can see Cousins being marginalized regardless.

Beefing up both lines is a pretty important this off-season, but I think we can do it without being pidgeon-holed to do it via the draft. I actually think a switch to the 4-3 (if we bring back Orakpo) makes the DL a strength with the only need really being depth at DE. 

Drafttek (which I love) now has this for the Redskins draft:

2. Kelvin Benjamin, WR FSU

3. Kurtis Drummond, FS MSU

4. Demarcus Lawrence, 3-4 OLB Boise St.

5. Russell Bodine, OC UNC

6. Lamin Barrow, ILB LSU

7. Jimmie Ward, SS Northern Illinois

Obv. Drafttek does the draft based on needs as of right now, so this could change a bit (or a lot). Not sure I like drafting a FS early after going S twice last year. I'd rather get a vet. in there and giving Rambo more time. Lawrence is marginalized if the team goes 4-3 or re-signs Orakpo. Bodine would fill a need in a reasonable round, and Barrow makes sense from a depth perspective, but again, marginalized if we go 4-3. Not sure I agree with drafting a SS after going FS ... just too much invested there, but I guess if you like the guy and think he can contribute on teams, why not?

I ran the simulator with revised needs based on a free agency in which we switch to the 4-3 and:

1. Release: Carriker, Chester, Rocca

2. Re-sign: Orakpo, R. Jackson. P. Riley, D. Hall, A. Robinson, C. Baker

3. Acquire: OG, FS, WR

4. Trade: Kirk Cousins to Minnesota for the 40th pick (just go with it)

Draft Results:

2. Cedric Ogbuehi, RT Texas A&M

2. Ryan Shazier, OLB Ohio State

3. Brandin Cooks, SWR Oregon State

4. Chris Davis, CB Auburn

5. Bryan Stork, OC Florida State

6. Taylor Hart, DE Oregon

7. Boseko Lokombo, OLB Oregon

I would love that draft. I would maybe swap out Lokombo in the 7th for Marcus Williams the CB from North Dakota State or QB Aaron Murray. But otherwise I would be happy with that. 

Do you think Stork lasts until the 5th? I generally like his work this season, though in the BCS Title game it looked like he was having trouble with locating his block after Auburns shifts at times. Didn't notice that in other FSU games this season and he gets off the ball and into his man quickly most of the time. There doesn't seem a great number of top Centers this year, could push him into Rds 3-4?

I swear if Richardson is available at 34 and we don't take him I will blow a gasket.  OL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT part we need to upgrade if we want RGIII to flourish without running all over the damn place.  And with Morris you know having a physical line we can get the 4 to 6 yards on almost every running play which will make it even more comfortable for RGIII.  

Receivers its a hit or miss for me most of the time.  Lets get a number 2 in free agency.  I want Richardson next to Trend and we would have a monster left side for years to come.

I swear if Richardson is available at 34 and we don't take him I will blow a gasket.  OL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT part we need to upgrade if we want RGIII to flourish without running all over the damn place.  And with Morris you know having a physical line we can get the 4 to 6 yards on almost every running play which will make it even more comfortable for RGIII.  

Receivers its a hit or miss for me most of the time.  Lets get a number 2 in free agency.  I want Richardson next to Trend and we would have a monster left side for years to come.

Well, this I do agree with. Let's say we were to sign a RG in Geoff Schwartz from KC and a RT like Roger Saffold ... I'd be thrilled if Richardson was there at 34 and we drafted him. I would trust Will Montgomery (or JD Welton) or any other OC to play just fine in that re-vamped OL. It would be very difficult to argue with that OL being one of the best heading into 2014. The best part, is we could essentially have that OL by only investing about $7-8 million in the off-season and a 2nd round pick ... which isn't too much of an investment.

Hell ... if you signed Schwartz and Saffold in free agency ... I'd love to draft Richardson in the 2nd and get Bryan Stork in the 5th. That would be a best-case scenario for this OL heading into 2014. That would still leave you with a 3rd, 4th (plus whatever you can get for Cousins) to try and nail down some other holes (defense). Your OL could be:

LT: Trent Williams, Tom Compton

LG: Cyril Richardson, Kory Lichtensteiger

OC: Bryan Stork, Will Montgomery, JD Welton

RG: Geoff Schwartz, Adam Gettis

RT: Roger Saffold, Tyler Polumbus, Mo Hurt

Now ... that's 12 linemen. If you're going to go Richardson/Stork (or any OG/OC) twice in the draft, in addition to adding a RG and RT via free agency, that you part with some of your other guys. Polumbus ($1mm) and Montgomery ($2.5mm) save you some decent change if you choose to part ways with them. Lichtensteiger really isn't much of a cap-saver at just $1mm ... and at that rate you might as well keep him around for veteran depth purposes. I'm not sure how many OL we rolled with in 2013 but my guess is you go with 9-10. 

LT: Trent Williams, Tom Compton

LG: Cyril Richardson, Kory Lichtensteiger

OC: Bryan Stork, JD Welton

RG: Geoff Schwartz, Adam Gettis

RT: Roger Saffold, Mo Hurt

Maybe that's still overkill. Maybe that's too much turnover. Maybe you feel comfortable switching Lichtensteiger to OC and reserve OG and you pass on Stork in the 5th. Obviously it all depends on the course of free agency. I really wish we could fast forward (while still ejoying the playoff games) so we can start settling some of these coaching/personnel matters. Makes it hard to focus on draft needs with so much up in the air!

Has to be Richardson if he's there. Draft Richardson and sign Mack and we instantly have the best OL in football. After that all we'd need is a solid veteran backup and a project to push Polumbus and whoever replaces Chester. Upgrading Chester would probably put a lot less pressure on Polumbus as well, who actually played well for stretches (but was bad for stretches too).

You can have 3 all pro WR's and if your oline sucks then you wont be able to do ANYTHING on offense. Look at the Cards, Jags ect.

All things considered Arizona had a pretty good passing offense last year.  It started off slow, but the 2nd half of the season saw them doing pretty well.  They were 11th in yards per play despite having a terrible rushing offense.  They were 4th in total passing yards in the last 8 games.  6th in passing yards per passing attempt.  8th in completion %.

They have two stud receivers in Malcolm Floyd (1st rounder in 2012) and Larry Fitzgerald (1st rounder in 2004).

So despite Carson Palmer (average at best) and a terrible running game, Arizona was passing the ball  well.

While signing Mack and drafting Richardson would really beef up the middle to left side of the line, it still leaves a gaping hole at RG and RT. Teams will just overload Polombus like they currently do.

I'd rather draft Richardson and sign a RT or RG ... and while Mack would be a great addition ... he's going to cost a lot of dough. 

Archived