Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

What's the difference between Reese and Robinson other than RGIII threw to him at college? Reese is pretty much a pure long speed guy - he's not that agile playmaker in the slot who makes people miss in the open field and his hands are actually pretty bad.

Tbh I'm not sure he's even draftable in this WR class.

If we sign key Free Agents for OT and OG and FS, we should go

2nd: Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford

2nd (Kirk trade): Antonio Richardson - OT - Tennessee

3rd: D'Anthony Thomas - RB/WR/KR - Oregon

4th: Daniel McCullers - NT - Tennessee

5th: Antone Exum - CB - Virginia Tech

6th. Tevin Reese - WR - Baylor

7th. Kirby Van Der Camp - P - Iowa State

This blueprint alone would fill pretty much 90% of the voids on this team.

Adding play makers like Thomas and Reese will give RG3 options, and you can never have enough weapons for a QB.

Couple thoughts. Thomas could probably be had in the 5th round ... so reaching for him in the 3rd might not be the best option, but he does fill an immediate role as a KR/PR which we need. If we sign an OT I don't think we would be in a position to spend a 2nd on an OT. I love Tevin Reese, but do you really think he'll be available in the 6th? If so, that would be a great pick. I also have no issue with the Punter in the 7th. It's a definite need, and 7th rounders can be a throwaway, but can get you the top P, so I'm all for it.

Just been looking around and thinking about what we could do in FA and I would be pumped if we could do something like this

Re-sign

Hall

Orakpo

Baker

Polumbus(depth)

Sign

Henry Melton

Julian Edelman

Geoff Schwartz

TJ Ward(depends on if he makes FA)

Looking at the FA signings Melton shouldn't be expensive since he's coming off the knee injury, but in a move back to a 4-3 he could be a lethal 4-3 UT for us. Edelman if we have a coach like Gruden would be very good in the slot for us. Schwartz is highly underrated still as an OG and Ward would be the S that we need in this D 

I am intrigued by Melton, but would he fit at all in the 3-4? 

Schwartz could be an underrated/cheap signing at OG. I wouldn't mind getting Schwartz and using a 2nd or 3rd on an OG to go to the other side. 

I'm thoroughly confused by Ward now. I thought he was a FS. We need a FS, but if getting Ward at SS means we can re-sign Merriweather for cheap and play him at FS, I'm all for it. Remember, Merriweather switched to SS to fill in for Thomas when he went down. I'm not willing to give up on Thomas either, nor Rambo, but the more the merrier if it means finally solving the problem there.

So let's assume we re-sign Orakpo, Hall, Baker and Riley

In FA we target an OG, FS and CB

2nd: WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State

3rd: OT Antonio Richardson, OT Tennessee

3rd: NT Daniel McCullers, Tennesee

4th: OG/OC Bryan Stork, Florida State

5th: WR DeAnthony Thomas, Oregon

5th: LB Tevin Smith, Florida State

6th: CB Deion Belue, Alabama

7th: Punter

Assumption is we trade Cousins for a mid-2nd and trade back into the 3rd for an additional 5th ... or trade Cousins for a 3rd/5th

Couple thoughts. Thomas could probably be had in the 5th round ... so reaching for him in the 3rd might not be the best option, but he does fill an immediate role as a KR/PR which we need. If we sign an OT I don't think we would be in a position to spend a 2nd on an OT. I love Tevin Reese, but do you really think he'll be available in the 6th? If so, that would be a great pick. I also have no issue with the Punter in the 7th. It's a definite need, and 7th rounders can be a throwaway, but can get you the top P, so I'm all for it.

I am intrigued by Melton, but would he fit at all in the 3-4? 

Schwartz could be an underrated/cheap signing at OG. I wouldn't mind getting Schwartz and using a 2nd or 3rd on an OG to go to the other side. 

I'm thoroughly confused by Ward now. I thought he was a FS. We need a FS, but if getting Ward at SS means we can re-sign Merriweather for cheap and play him at FS, I'm all for it. Remember, Merriweather switched to SS to fill in for Thomas when he went down. I'm not willing to give up on Thomas either, nor Rambo, but the more the merrier if it means finally solving the problem there.

You obviously mis-read the part where I said 4-3 UT 

Alright. We switch to the 4-3. We have $40 million to play with to revamp the defense to fit the 4-3.

DT: Cofield, Bowen, Baker, J. Jenkins

DE: Kerrigan

OLB: B. Jenkins, K. Robinson

MLB: 

Seems we would need a starting DE, MLB & OLB. Not to mention depth at those spots.

That seems like we have a lot more holes to fill. Oh well, whatever works. At least we have some money to make that switch work.

Alright. We switch to the 4-3. We have $40 million to play with to revamp the defense to fit the 4-3.

DT: Cofield, Bowen, Baker, J. Jenkins

DE: Kerrigan

OLB: B. Jenkins

MLB: Robinson

That seems like we have a lot more holes to fill. Oh well, whatever works. At least we have some money to make that switch work.

Riley would return as 4-3 MLB. Orakpo would return as the 4-3 DE as well. There's some thinking that Orakpo wants to be back in a 4-3 Defense as well. Robinson was more of an SLB at times, and if we're looking 4-3 WLB then I'm going Ryan Shazier easily 

Just been looking around and thinking about what we could do in FA and I would be pumped if we could do something like this

Re-sign

Hall

Orakpo

Baker

Polumbus(depth)

Sign

Henry Melton

Julian Edelman

Geoff Schwartz

TJ Ward(depends on if he makes FA)

Looking at the FA signings Melton shouldn't be expensive since he's coming off the knee injury, but in a move back to a 4-3 he could be a lethal 4-3 UT for us. Edelman if we have a coach like Gruden would be very good in the slot for us. Schwartz is highly underrated still as an OG and Ward would be the S that we need in this D 

what would a 4-3 do that a 3-4 hasnt done? 

Jenkins makes a lot of sense. When looking at what we have in cap room, If we play it smart we'll be able to add some quality players without breaking the bank 

Jenkins was not only the worst safety in the game last year, but was also the worst player on the worst defense we have seen for a long time. Not only would be not be an upgrade over Merriweather but he would be a significant downgrade. 

Resign Orakpo,Hall,Jackson,Baker,Riley,Doughty,Merriwether,A.Robinson.

Sign FA - Aqib Talib(#1 CB),Michael Oher(RT),Jeremy Maclin(#2WR),Geoff Schwartz(RG).

Cuts - Bowen,Carriker,Chester,Montgomery,Morgan,Fletcher.

HC - Zimmer OC - Hue Jackson DC - Paul Guenther (Keep Raheem Morris)

R2 - Cyril Richardson LG

R3 - Yawin Smallwood ILB

R4 - Bryan Stork OC

R5 - Joshua Huff WR

R6 - Stanley Jean-Baptiste CB

R7 - Pat O'Donnell Punter

UDFA - Colt Lyerla, Andrew Jackson

QB - RG3, Cousins

RB - Morris,Helu,Thompson

FB - Young

WR - Garcon,Maclin,Hankerson,Robinson,Huff

TE - Reed,Paul,Lyerla

OT - T.Williams,Compton

LG - C.Richardson,LeRibeus/Hurt (whoever wins that)

OC - Lichtensteiger,Stork

RG - Schwartz,Gettis

RT - Oher,Polumbus

RDE - Orakpo,B.Jenkins

RDT - Cofield,C.Nield

LDT - Baker,J.Jenkins

LDE - Kerrigan,Tapp

SLB - Riley,A.Jackson

ILB - Barnett,Smallwood

WLB - R.Jackson,Robinson

RCB- Talib,Crawford,Minifield

FS - Merriwether,Rambo

SS - Doughty,Thomas

LCB - Hall,Amerson,Jean-Baptiste

LS - Sundberg

K- Killa Kia

P - O'Donnell

If we sign key Free Agents for OT and OG and FS, we should go

2nd: Shayne Skov - ILB - Stanford

2nd (Kirk trade): Antonio Richardson - OT - Tennessee

3rd: D'Anthony Thomas - RB/WR/KR - Oregon

4th: Daniel McCullers - NT - Tennessee

5th: Antone Exum - CB - Virginia Tech

6th. Tevin Reese - WR - Baylor

7th. Kirby Van Der Camp - P - Iowa State

This blueprint alone would fill pretty much 90% of the voids on this team.

Adding play makers like Thomas and Reese will give RG3 options, and you can never have enough weapons for a QB.

Love the Tevin Reese, Exum and Van Der Camp picks. Not so hot on the 2nd rounders or 3rd rounder though. First of all, what we need on defense is athletes. Shane Skov does not fit that catagory. Also has some injury concerns (tore his acl) and keep in mind that 34 is pretty much a first round pick in terms of value. If an interior guy is still on the board or a WR who presents great value I think we go there if not I think trading down for another 3rd or 4th would do us wonders. If we could get a 2nd for Cousins it would be great but I dont know if its reasonable, and if we do I dont think Richardson is the choice. Would like to see us strengthen our cornerbacks or defensive line before an offensive tackle who struggles in run blocking like Richardson. If we do get DAT in round 3 it would be a pick that we could trade back and still get our guy as I dont think he even sniffs the top half of the 3rd unless he runs a blazing 40. Would much rather see

2nd: Trade down for a 3rd and 6th, Gabe Jackson OG- Massive man who excells in pass blocking but concerns about run blocking could push him down the board.

2nd: Brandin Crooks WR- An excellent kickoff return man with blazing speed, he also won the trophy awarded to the best WR in the country and is great at creating separation and catching the ball. 

3rd: Dom Easly DE- In my eyes he would be a 1st round pick if not for injury concerns. Love him as a prospect.

3rd: Yawin Smallwood ILB- Another one of my favorites. An athletic beast, he has the size and speed needed to succeed. Great value in the 3rd round.

4th: DAT RB/WR/KR- Can do just about everything. Would add speed to our offense and would add an extra dimension.

5th: Weston Richburg C- 3rd best center prospect in the draft in the 5th round? Yes please!

6th: Exum CB/S- Versatility. Versatility. Versatility. Played safety and corner in college and was great at both. His serious knee injury cost him a year and will drop him down the board.

6th: Michael Schofield OT- I really like this guy. Didnt know anything about him until someone pointed out to me how much of a steal he will end up being. Could end up being a starter at right tackle. 

7th: Van Der Camp P- Sav Rocca sucks. 

Our 3-4 has done something?

Our defensive coordinator sucks. Just because a scheme with a certain coordinator didn't work doesn't mean another scheme with another coordinator wont work. I also don't think the infatuation of the 4-3 by the redskins fans has any merit and just because we had some success years ago with it doesn't mean anything. 

Antonio Brown and DeSean Jackson are two completely different players. When someone says raw when referring to a WR your best bet is that he's talking about the intricacies involved with running routes, not athletic related traits like the ones you mentioned.

The point is just because you are small doesnt mean you cant be a number 1 guy or be bound to the slot. Raw can mean a multitude of things. Maybe the guy is just a burner (like deanthony thomas) or maybe the guy doesnt run great routes (kevin benjamin) or maybe he doesnt use his physical attributes well (brandon coleman) but with robinson I dont see much of that at all, at least not a glaring hole in his game

The point is just because you are small doesnt mean you cant be a number 1 guy or be bound to the slot. Raw can mean a multitude of things. Maybe the guy is just a burner (like deanthony thomas) or maybe the guy doesnt run great routes (kevin benjamin) or maybe he doesnt use his physical attributes well (brandon coleman) but with robinson I dont see much of that at all, at least not a glaring hole in his game

You don't see a glaring hole? Okay then.

Because if you don't I'm going to question you on it, because he's struggled against press coverage. Stanley Jean-Baptiste had his day against him in press coverage. That's a glaring hole eh? It's why guys don't last 

Because if you don't I'm going to question you on it, because he's struggled against press coverage. Stanley Jean-Baptiste had his day against him in press coverage. That's a glaring hole eh? It's why guys don't last 

I do love me some Jean-Baptiste though.  Wouldn't mind going Exum and J-B in this draft as I think Exum could be similar to a Byrd or Thomas, college corners who didn't have the speed to play in the nfl, but who had great instincts for playing coverage.  Exum is like them but 20 pounds heavier.

Anyone else concerned about Morris in a non-ZBS?  I think our running game could take a huge step back and Morris may lose the job to Helu.  Just seems like you need more athletic rb's to excel in a power blocking system.  Would suck for rb to be a need with a new system in place.

I do love me some Jean-Baptiste though.  Wouldn't mind going Exum and J-B in this draft as I think Exum could be similar to a Byrd or Thomas, college corners who didn't have the speed to play in the nfl, but who had great instincts for playing coverage.  Exum is like them but 20 pounds heavier.

Anyone else concerned about Morris in a non-ZBS?  I think our running game could take a huge step back and Morris may lose the job to Helu.  Just seems like you need more athletic rb's to excel in a power blocking system.  Would suck for rb to be a need with a new system in place.

I'd love to see Jean-Baptiste here as a CB. Him and Amerson could be a damn good tandem 

Also if we do bring in Gruden, I think we stick to a good amount of the ZBS elements we have and I wouldn't be surprised if they retained Foerster as well. Part of me wonders if Marvin Lewis has the input of having that power running style when Gruden wants more of a ZBS 

Since the clemson game I have been trying to find games of Martavis Bryant as he just declared for the draft.  He's got speed, adjusts to the ball well and catches with his hands, so he may actually be a pretty savvy pickup later in the draft.  He's no Sammy Watkins, but he's similar to a DHB except great speed instead of elite speed but he can catch and will fight for the ball.  I think he's a guy who would be an immediate upgrade to Aldrick and gives you the same kind of strengths except with height added too.

He will be more motivated then some of these young kids. He has two daughters, so I don't see him getting complacent.

But I see red flags all over Bryant. Why did it take so long to turn it on? He was very inconsitent blocking down field and too me gets lazy. The heigh and YPC is very intriguing. Plus, if you can grab this kid in the 5th round or below? It's going to be a solid pick.

If you have a guy who is 6'3, has good hands and after the catch ability to go along with pretty impressive long speed wouldnt you be willing to overlook something as coach-able as using subtle movements to gain free release off the line? You cant coach size and speed, nor can you coach soft hands. If you would pick a WR for us to draft, who would it be?

I don't think there's any chance that happens. Morris hits the hole as well any back in the league and while Helu might be more "athletic" he certainly doesn't have the natural vision and power Morris has. Its amazing people still look at Morris's 40 time and still deem him not athletic enough despite watching him for 2 years. 

I feel like Robinson is equivalent to Garcon.

So much of Robinson's game is Bubble Screen, Quick Slant, get the ball to his hands and have him use his quicks to get YAC. I don't know why the coaching staff didn't use him more often on Z Shallow-Cross or Drag.

I mean he's certainly athletic, no doubt. He's obviously most comfortable with the ball getting to him quickly and having some space to run. He's at least shown that he can weave through defenses and make all sorts of cutbacks to get extra yardage. His overall top-end speed is alright but he registers more quick than fast to me. I would call him sudden.

There are some sideline GOs and comeback routes mixed there as well. I'm not saying he's exclusively a "bubble screen" WR, but that's where he's making his money. I mean there were a handful of plays he made in the vertical game but I don't know why he wasn't featured more there.

As for our team, maybe you can coexist with two "garcons." But, in just seeing how Garcon has been used by us and how Robinson was used, it's kind-of spinning image, almost redundant.

You'd think, if he were to be here, that the new staff would have to develop one of those guys to be more-or-less used exclusively in the vertical downfield game.

Overall a really good athlete, good clay.

One area where I can say he's really savvy, he's already a pro at pushing off. I mean I watch that UCF game and he's initiating contact with DBs, shoving them hard then releasing himself for the back shoulder catch. Haha, I mean he drew pass interference calls on the DBs and he was literally the one shoving them. He'll hand check with a guy downfield even as he's tracking the ball. So he's already got that aspect locked down.

However, a different thing I've noticed is that he'll carry the ball like a loaf of bread, often, swing it wide as he's running in the open field. I've seen that habit go free and clear in the college game but come back to bite the guy in the butt in the pros.

Archived