Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

Re: Benjamin- last night changed nothing for me. He's a freak athlete with worlds of potential but will need some time to (hopefully) develop elite level receiving skills. But then again, that's why we're talking about him being on the board at 34 instead of projecting him to be gone top 5. 

A strong combine is going to elevate his draft status....to potentially go in the top 10. 

He's a nightmare matchup due to his size.  Can you imagine him in the RZ?  There isn't a DB who can handle him man-to-man.  To strong for press, and just too tall to handle for a jump. 

I would love if he slipped to #34 (we can always hope for a positive drug test...LOL...jk...well, kinda), but I really don't see it.  I'm not going to be too disappointed if Benjamin is gone due to how deep this draft is for WRs.  Like I was saying before, I think a guy like Mike Evans COULD slip.  Someone is going to have slide out of the first....

[quote name="Dukes and Skins"

And still Christian Jones is being slept on for his performance. He literally took the RT on a play and lifted him up off the ground and got after Marshall. He's impressive and would be a stud in a 4-3 scheme.

Yeah agreed, but did Lamarcus joiner even play tonight? I wouldn't have known if he did because he didn't make any kind of impact.

Yeah, yeah I am. He's exactly who I thought he was, a guy who can fight for catches. Still a clutch player, has the good and the bad and I think he can be had with a later pick.

4 catches for 54 yards and a Td with a dropped pass and a bad false start, in what way is that remotely impressive, he didn't have a catch until the 3rd and dropped a huge pass. That's what's been happening all season against good competition. Still in routes, lack of quickness after the catch, drops passes and isn't great at getting separation. Face it, he got exposed.

Cyril Richardson and Kelvin Benjamin are on the board at 34. Who do you pick? I know we need linemen but Kelvin has physical attributes that simply too good to pass up in my opinion

So we pass up on a top 3 guard prospect and draft a raw wr just because he's tall? That's how you get in the **** as a franchise.

4 catches for 54 yards and a Td with a dropped pass and a bad false start, in what way is that remotely impressive, he didn't have a catch until the 3rd and dropped a huge pass. That's what's been happening all season against good competition. Still in routes, lack of quickness after the catch, drops passes and isn't great at getting separation. Face it, he got exposed.

You could have said the same exact thing about Alshon Jeffrey before the draft...just sayin'. 

Hey .. look ... if we draft Benjamin ... you won't find anyone as ecstatic as me.

If we draft Cyril Richardson, you also wouldn't find anyone as ecstatic as me. 

Yes, you build the lines. I support that notion 100%. But if you can get a "raw" guy like Benjamin, it's hard to pass up too. If he stays in school for his junior year, he is likely a Top 5 pick. Getting him a year "premature" and "grooming" him a bit might be worth that drop off.

Then again, I doubt he makes it to 34. Neither will Richardson. But if both are there, that's a huge win/win.

Also, I'm not really sure why there is this notion that we need to get DE/DT in the 2nd or 3rd round. In fact, I'm not really sure we should draft one. Of course, it all depends on scheme ... if we stick to the 3-4 we do need a NT, but that would kick out Cofield to DE, as added depth there. But if we switch to the 4-3 and keep Orakpo ... we then have surplus DL. Maybe we need some DE depth behind Kerrigan and Orakpo ... but I would guess that OLB and MLB would need addressing in the draft, at least from a depth perspective. Again, it all depends on the free agency cycle, but I can't really sit here in January and agree with the sentiment that we can't draft Benjamin because we have to go DL. OL, yes, but DL, no.

If we re-sign the guys we should/could re-sign ... our DL in the 4-3:

DE: Kerrigan, Orakpo, B. Jenkins, D. Tapp

DT: J. Jenkins, Cofield, Bowen, Baker

- That gives you 8 players for 4 spots

3-4:

DE: J. Jenkins, B. Cofield, S. Bowen

NT: DP/FA, Baker

-that gives you 5 players for 3 spots

It's crazy how people can just grade a prospect from one game and try to ignore a good resume from a whole season.

"good resume" if you mean productivity, then you obviously know very little about scouting. Productivity doesn't matter, only the skills he displays in his game. I would rather have someone who is 6 ft but displays good route running and catching ability to go with quickness after the catch and maybe isn't as productive in college, as that guy will have more success than someone who is just tall and fast who dominated the smaller, less skilled corners as that won't happen in the pros. Hell, it won't even happen against top college opponents, but I guess you saw that with Benjamin vs green last night.

Cyril Richardson and Kelvin Benjamin are on the board at 34. Who do you pick? I know we need linemen but Kelvin has physical attributes that simply too good to pass up in my opinion

I'd go Richardson because you at that can can pretty much lock down your QBs blind side for the next decade with Trent. I'd look later in the draft for a Slot WR and try to get an outside WR opposite Garcon at a good price in FA. 

I'm fine with drafting grunts and building the lines during the draft for the most part and snagging a playmaker you need to here and there at the skill positions in FA.

Obviously I'd go BPA when drafting but just in general I think you can get away with that and are better off because the lines can contribute right away  whereas drafting skill positions is more of a gamble and scan typically take longer to develop. 

The OL guy I want is David Yankey.  If Mount McCullers is there in the 3rd, take a flier on him.  WR in the 4th -- and I want a guy who knows how to run routes.  We already have 3rd year developmental projects in Hankerson and Robinson.  No more sons - I want men.  Rds 5-7, give me LBs and DBs who can play ST.

Mostly what I really want to know is, whether we are going to get anything worthwhile out of:  Compton, Gettis, Ribs, Crawford, Minnifield, P. Thomas, and LB Robinson.

Richardson is significantly better than Benjamin IMO. WR is a significantly more valuable position. Tough call.

That's what I am stuck on as well. Richardson has the tools to be an all pro every year and that left side would be insane. Kelvin is a physical freak that rivals Megatron. Not as fast but still imposing and high points the ball.

He did have that drop, and that was poor.  He wasn't even targeted until the 3rd and he caught 66% of the balls thrown to him.  On a night when Jameis only completed 57% of his passes, that wasn't awful.  Jameis struggled mightily in the first half.  It's not like Auburn's defense lacks in talent, but the other thing to note was the actual catches.  If I recall correctly 3 of the 4 were difficult catches.  These weren't great passes thrown directly on target.  He caught with his hands, which is a plus.

Other things to note: he crushed his blocks.  Destroyed them.  Like perhaps one of the best blocking wr I've ever seen in college.

You don't need a wr with all the tools to be productive.  He doesn't get great separation, you're right.  He doesn't NEED great separation.  When I look at him I see a guy that gives our offense something it doesn't have.  A guy who can fight for catches and the type of outlet valve you can just throw the ball to even if he is well covered and it likely won't be a negative play.  I like ASF for the same reasons.

You might not ever do a wr screen to Benjamin (boy I'd love him to block for one though), and maybe he doesn't do comebacks or outs, but I think he's a perfect compliment to Garcon and Reed as a pass catcher.  The yin to their yangs.

Richardson is significantly better than Benjamin IMO. WR is a significantly more valuable position. Tough call.

Morgan and Moss are both done, leaving the wr corp as Garcon, Hankerson and Robinson.  That's rough.

On the flip side, Richardson combined with Trent?  Run left all day, there wouldn't be a more dominant pair in the nfl. 

Personally I think Benjamin may fall to the 3rd, so we get them both!  A lot of good wr this year and although Benjamin has some elite characteristics, I think he may do rather poorly in agility and speed drills.  Someone may go early on "baby megatron" but I think he has a pretty wide draft range at this point.  Richardson is almost guaranteed to go late round 1-early 2.

Tough call. Really tough call. I love the ability to 'win' at the POA. And I don't have a fully fleshed out idea of where they rank CRich vs Benjamin so I am going to approach the question assuming they have similar grades.

If I thought CRich had a chance to play RT I would take him.

But the idea of playing Benjamin across from Garcon is tempting.

But, I think we need more help along the OL then at receiver.

........damn.......I guess I would draft Cyril and take the another step towards building a difference making OL.

He did have that drop, and that was poor. He wasn't even targeted until the 3rd and he caught 66% of the balls thrown to him. On a night when Jameis only completed 57% of his passes, that wasn't awful. Jameis struggled mightily in the first half. It's not like Auburn's defense lacks in talent, but the other thing to note was the actual catches. If I recall correctly 3 of the 4 were difficult catches. These weren't great passes thrown directly on target. He caught with his hands, which is a plus.

Other things to note: he crushed his blocks. Destroyed them. Like perhaps one of the best blocking wr I've ever seen in college.

You don't need a wr with all the tools to be productive. He doesn't get great separation, you're right. He doesn't NEED great separation. When I look at him I see a guy that gives our offense something it doesn't have. A guy who can fight for catches and the type of outlet valve you can just throw the ball to even if he is well covered and it likely won't be a negative play. I like ASF for the same reasons.

You might not ever do a wr screen to Benjamin (boy I'd love him to block for one though), and maybe he doesn't do comebacks or outs, but I think he's a perfect compliment to Garcon and Reed as a pass catcher. The yin to their yangs.

the thing I don't like about Benjamin is how people think he can just come in and be a pro bowler. He is not that good as of right now. Yes he is massive but he doesn't get great separation, (just because he has size doesn't mean he can just magically pluck the ball out of the air with the corner draped over him) doesn't catch the ball well (too many drops) and doesn't have elite speed or quickness. So with all of that in mind, why would anyone want to draft that guy with our top pick? Maybe if we didn't any glaring holes but do you not think that it would be put to better use at guard, where a guy can immediately step in and start instead of a guy who will take a few years to develop? Hell, even a tight end like ASJ would be a better pick. The fact that Benjamin was blanketed over half the game just cements my opinion on him.

Benjamin is scary. I mean scary in a very good way. Who can match up with him one on one? Revis, Sherman. Maybe one or two more corners. But that's it.

Throw him in a system with a solid #1 guy and look out. Would love to have this kid in Dallas opposite of Dez Bryant.

I'm seeing comparisons to Megatron but I don't think he's on that tier yet. But man, the arrow is pointed up with this kid and he is just getting better!

I'm seeing comparisons to Megatron but I don't think he's on that tier yet. But man, the arrow is pointed up with this kid and he is just getting better!

Physically he is like him but no where near as fast. Nor as good of a route runner. Nor as agile. The kid is just massive and he knows how to use it. He high points the ball and knows how to box out smaller DBs. He would be hard to match 1v1. I think he could become a fringe #1 but because of his size you would have to double cover him. I see him as a bigger less talented Anquain Boldin.

I don't think you guys are going to be going after him. Think it will be pass rushers or Dlineman for you guys.

Benjamin is scary. I mean scary in a very good way. Who can match up with him one on one? Revis, Sherman. Maybe one or two more corners. But that's it.

Throw him in a system with a solid #1 guy and look out. Would love to have this kid in Dallas opposite of Dez Bryant.

Right now most wouldn't have much of a problem lining up against him. He doesn't run good routes and he's very raw. The only way he's going to reach his potential is with a damn good WR coach

Physically he is like him but no where near as fast. Nor as good of a route runner. Nor as agile. The kid is just massive and he knows how to use it. He high points the ball and knows how to box out smaller DBs. He would be hard to match 1v1. I think he could become a fringe #1 but because of his size you would have to double cover him. I see him as a bigger less talented Anquain Boldin.

I don't think you guys are going to be going after him. Think it will be pass rushers or Dlineman for you guys.

We better spend 2 of the first 3 picks on defensive line!

Archived