Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2014 Comprehensive Nfl Draft Database

Dukes and Skins

He weighs 3 pounds less than Patrick Willis, he'll be fine.

I think CJ Mosley weighs less than Shazier ... (?)

Ryan Shazier doesn't seem to fit a 3-4 scheme...too small.

He'd be fine in A 3-4 as a "Hunter-Seeker." Ideally you'd get a true "Banger" next to him, though.

Sorry, I wasn't referring to draft-weight there, but current playing weight.

And that was really the backbone of one of the points I was trying to make with Bradford, that he would need to add 10 to 15 pounds to his already 243 lbs to get into that range of Clay M.

Just as Clay M. added about 15 pounds to his frame from college to Pros, steadily over time.  

If there is an OL at 34 who can start game 1, I would take him.  Instant upgrade at the most important position on the team.

Yeah, that's my question, as well. We seem to have quite a bit to choose from on the defensive side of the ball at 34, but what about offensive line?

Kudos on admitting that you were wrong about Kouandjo.

Maybe there is lesson?

Don't blindy bash a prospect? That way you don't need an 'I have changed my opinion' post?

You are correct about this post. I started watching Kouandjio tape in depth and I was actually impressed. He needs some work but he's definitely better than Polumbos right now. 

And that was really the backbone of one of the points I was trying to make with Bradford, that he would need to add 10 to 15 pounds to his already 243 lbs to get into that range of Clay M.

Just as Clay M. added about 15 pounds to his frame from college to Pros, steadily over time.

I wasn't responding so much to the packing on of 10-15 pounds as much as the comment about using speed exclusively.

I wasn't responding so much to the packing on of 10-15 pounds as much as the comment about using speed exclusively.

Ah, I see where the confusion came from. Those two words, "speed," and "exclusively," are in relation to Bradford himself and his position projection at the next level, not 3-4 teams, not Green Bay.

What I was saying is that if one drafts Bradford for OLB, exclusively, in trying to harness his edge speed, passrush,  then you aren't finding out if he can also play ILB. 

And when you look at Bradford, he doesn't look like a DE, he doesn't really look like an OLB, he looks like an ILB. That's just from looking at his frame and weight combined, general size, altogether.

Now, I've stated right from the get-go that you could still try him at OLB, develop him, etc. 

But when you watch him, like for example versus UCLA, he got moved at the POA, gave ground in the run game. You'd expect that when a 300+ lbs o.lineman blocks against a 240 lbs guy. And likewise, Bradford got stood up plenty of times when going up against Su'a-Filo. Stood-up as in stalemated, didn't generate push from Bullrush. That's despite being a really strong guy himself (Bradford that is). 

But the one area that does stand out for Bradford is his playing speed, how quickly he gets out of his stance, explosion, and how he rounds the corner. I would definitely call his stand-out characteristic as edge speed. He's not nearly as stand-out in terms of Bullrush. 

Ha. I guess what I wrote could have been confusing from the sense that I brought up the GB reference when I really just wanted to cite Matthews as an example of the lower-end of the scale of size, per Rush OLB and how that relates to Bradford and what specific teams would be willing to take on Bradford as an exclusively Rush OLB. 

I do think that other teams will view him more as an ILB. I kind-of do myself. I not trying to suggest there is an absolute weight that everyone must be in order to play 3-4 OLB, nor am I trying to say that GB only uses speed players at OLB. 

Haha - Cool?

He weighs 3 pounds less than Patrick Willis, he'll be fine.

good point. im sick of everyone saying hes "undersized"

dude is about 4 pounds lighter than the average nfl ILB.

wtf do these people think play lb on every other team?? 275 lb monsters across the board?

I think CJ Mosley weighs less than Shazier ... (?)

He'd be fine in A 3-4 as a "Hunter-Seeker." Ideally you'd get a true "Banger" next to him, though.

And that's why I wouldn't mind an andrew jackson pick up later in the draft or as a priority udfa.  He reminds me so much of Spikes or Burfict.  I think he'll be a savvy pick up for some team and that would give us two hitters at ilb.  Double dipping at ILB like carolina did at DT last year wouldn't bother me one bit.  Both could be upgrades from what we currently have.

And that's why I wouldn't mind an andrew jackson pick up later in the draft or as a priority udfa. He reminds me so much of Spikes or Burfict. I think he'll be a savvy pick up for some team and that would give us two hitters at ilb. Double dipping at ILB like carolina did at DT last year wouldn't bother me one bit. Both could be upgrades from what we currently have.

isnt one of the new guys we signed supposed to be a pretty good run stopper? sharpton I think?

if hes as good as they say, a guy with that kind of style next to someone like shazier would be quite nice going forward.

And that's why I wouldn't mind an andrew jackson pick up later in the draft or as a priority udfa.  He reminds me so much of Spikes or Burfict.  I think he'll be a savvy pick up for some team and that would give us two hitters at ilb.  Double dipping at ILB like carolina did at DT last year wouldn't bother me one bit.  Both could be upgrades from what we currently have.

Well, all I know is that Andrew Jackson will, at some point, be on a highlight reel for absolutely destroying someone. It might be during special teams, it might be his one play of the entire game as a situational player, it might be during mop-up time in a blow-out game, but I know that he will hit someone so hard that they will literally poop their pants and somewhere, on some channel, you'll see it with the words: "jacked up," following it. 

As you said he'll be a real late selection if not undrafted. I'd guess 7th, maybe 6th, on toward undrafted. 

Round 2 Pick 19 (CHI): Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois

Round 3 Pick 2: Troy Niklas, TE, Notre Dame

Round 3 Pick 18 (CHI): Joel Bitonio, OT/G, Nevada

Round 4 Pick 2: Cyril Richardson, OG/T, Baylor

Round 5 Pick 2: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers

Round 6 Pick 2: Ross ****rell, CB, Duke

Round 7 Pick 2: Max Bullough, ILB, Michigan State

Well, all I know is that Andrew Jackson will, at some point, be on a highlight reel for absolutely destroying someone. It might be during special teams, it might be his one play of the entire game as a situational player, it might be during mop-up time in a blow-out game, but I know that he will hit someone so hard that they will literally poop their pants and somewhere, on some channel, you'll see it with the words: "jacked up," following it. 

As you said he'll be a real late selection if not undrafted. I'd guess 7th, maybe 6th, on toward undrafted. 

Yes, please get one of does on our team. Just a north south LB. A train. He can only move in one direction, but when he hits you...he hits you hard. Everybody knows this is a passing league now and you need these hybrid athletic dudes, but I don´t care. Just get us a enforcer in the middle.  :D

I'm a fan of Andrew Jackson to I don't see much difference between him and Preston Brown, who is ranked higher on the main sites I use.

I like Avery Williamson even more and he's rated ~6th round.

I didn't know anything about Dez Southward til I read that he came in for a visit. I watched the 1 tape that was available on draftbreakdown:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/dezmen-southward-vs-arizona-st-2013/

Quick take from this game:

Versatile. Played slot, free and strong.

Took good angles, brought his arms to wrap didn't just lunge/dive tackle. Was a willing tackler eager/ready to mix it up.

Had 2 picks. For a projected SAF moved well in man-to-man coverage.

Quick overall first take: Dez looks better to me then his projected 5-6 round ranking.

6-211 w/ 4.38 40 at pro day, good tape albeit extremely limited sample size.

I'm in Dez is my kinda prospect.

Chris Russell spent about 45 minutes on the draft last night, not too many big nuggets but here's what I took:

he thinks they will draft a pass rusher at some point.  They love Shazier.   As for the safeties they see things like most of the draft geeks with Pryor, Clinton Dix being the clear two best safeties and Ward being the clear third best.  

Even though I'm kinda meh on Russell I like listening to his fill-in shows.

I guess I can see them team drafting a pass rusher but OLB is a position I think is set with quality starters and quality depth.

If we draft a pass rusher it would seem more like amassing talent then building a team.

Just a point of clarification on Shazier. Was Chris saying that he knows "they"=scouting dept/FO like Shazier or he THINKs "they" like Shazier or is he saying that HE likes Shazier for them?

Not that I put much credence into Russell's comments but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I'm going to say it again... I honestly believe Khalil Mack may be the best player in the draft from a totality perspective of on the field play and character.

I don't think there's any chance he busts whatsoever. I can't say the same for Clowney, Manziel, Bortles (who I like) and Bridgewater...

I'm going to say it again... I honestly believe Khalil Mack may be the best player in the draft from a totality perspective of on the field play and character.

I don't think there's any chance he busts whatsoever. I can't say the same for Clowney, Manziel, Bortles (who I like) and Bridgewater...

I feel like blue chip tackles are usually the best locks for being solid players in the league.

Just a point of clarification on Shazier. Was Chris saying that he knows "they"=scouting dept/FO like Shazier or he THINKs "they" like Shazier or is he saying that HE likes Shazier for them?

Not that I put much credence into Russell's comments but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Russell seems to be the only guy on 980 that loves doing draft coverage so I give him credit for that.  But agree as a source, he's far from on the money.  But for what its worth he says they (meaning the Redskins) love Shazier. 

He had Shoup on his show and I got into a twitter exchange with Shoup along with Russell about Van Noy (only tweet about Van Noy is the one on the bottom) and Shazier, here it is

@Russellmania980 @skinsfl yeah very versatile backer, will be ILB, but he makes plays from all over. Also strong in coverage which is key

@Steveospeak @skinsfl Agree can fly. I think a pretty good pass rusher too off the edge as they like to deploy right?

.@skinsfl @Steveospeak They like him quite a bit.

@Russellmania980 @skinsfl I definitely think Shazier could be an ILB for the Skins. he's a little small, but shouldn't be an issue.

@skinsfl @Russellmania980 @fanspeak big Van Noy fan, but I don't think playing him inside is the best thing for him. He could do it, but

Archived