Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should We Play Some Non-Traditional Players In The 1St Q, This Game?

Larry

The announcement that we intend to have Sexy Rexy and Pat White play one half, each, in this next game, and Shanny announcing that he intends to play all of his starters a lot less than is traditional in a preseason-week-3 game, has got me thinking.

Is this an opportunity?

Should we start Pat White, for example?

We've never seen what he looks like, against starters.

(Granted, there's probably a reason for that. The coaches HAVE seen how he looks, probably against our second string, at least, in practice. Maybe the reason we haven't seen him against other team's starters is because we already know he'll stink.)

But, what have we got to lose?

At least the folks around here seem to be of the consensus that he's gonna get cut in 10 days or so, anyway.

Why not give him a shot? Maybe he plays better when he's about to get fired.

I really didn't see Jamison, Monday night, either. (Granted, the fact that he fumbled his second carry, again might have something to do with that.) But, should we send him out there and at least see what he does, let him run 4-5 plays, before we push the ejector seat?

Or is this idea as stupid as it sounds?

I'm with you on this. I'd like to see Pat w/ the starters. At least we know his passes won't be dropped and Rex can get some time w/ the guys he'll be throwing to in practice come the regular season.

Chris fumbled on MNF, but we got to see he & Jamison for about 3-4 plays each that's it. Outside of a series for both Morris and Helu (Preserve them, we'll need them soon) I'd give Royster one as well and then have JJ & Thompson in the rest of the game. We saw Thompson on only RO plays, I'd like to see him on stretch runs and catching passes. 

I'm with you on this. I'd like to see Pat w/ the starters. At least we know his passes won't be dropped and Rex can get some time w/ the guys he'll be throwing to in practice come the regular season.

Chris fumbled on MNF, but we got to see he & Jamison for about 3-4 plays each that's it. Outside of a series for both Morris and Helu (Preserve them, we'll need them soon) I'd give Royster one as well and then have JJ & Thompson in the rest of the game. We saw Thompson on only RO plays, I'd like to see him on stretch runs and catching passes. 

JJ had 5 carries and was the RB on most of PW's RO runs.  Williams had 8 attempts and right now (Royster got a lot of plays against Tenessee).  Seems right now the coaches are looking at either Royster or Williams as number 3.  If JJ and Thompson don't get the primary load Saturday, I'd say the third back on the 53 will be Royster or Williams with JJ and/or Thompson getting PSed or IRed.

I have to say that part of the reason I'm thinking of this is my feelings about Morris.

The way I remember things around here, about half of ES were of the opinion that Morris was gonna get cut, because we already had three people in front of him on the depth chart. (I was a Morris defender, but even I was thinking of him as a specialty back, for short yardage or goal line situations).

But we had some training camp injuries. So we sent Morris out with the starters. And y'know what? He looked pretty good out there, carrying the ball against real NFL players.

I think he earned that starting job, on the field, in the preseason.

I wonder, if Morris hadn't had that opportunity, how long would it have been, before we knew what we had?

So, for example, I wouldn't mind a bit if we could see our two rookie RBs out there, against real NFL starters. If nothing else, we'll have some real game film we can use, to evaluate them.

I have to say that part of the reason I'm thinking of this is my feelings about Morris.

The way I remember things around here, about half of ES were of the opinion that Morris was gonna get cut, because we already had three people in front of him on the depth chart. (I was a Morris defender, but even I was thinking of him as a specialty back, for short yardage or goal line situations).

But we had some training camp injuries. So we sent Morris out with the starters. And y'know what? He looked pretty good out there, carrying the ball against real NFL players.

I think he earned that starting job, on the field, in the preseason.

I wonder, if Morris hadn't had that opportunity, how long would it have been, before we knew what we had?

So, for example, I wouldn't mind a bit if we could see our two rookie RBs out there, against real NFL starters. If nothing else, we'll have some real game film we can use, to evaluate them.

The difference is that with Morris, the coaches got giddy every time they talked about him, just about from mini-camps onwards.  Shanahan said he knew pretty early that Morris was going to make the team, and then pretty early in camp he started to distinguish himself.

White hasn't done bupkis to distinguish himself.  Kiem said people were ducking on the sidelines because of his accuracy issues, and he couldn't run the full offense when he was practicing.  I didn't see him against Pitt, but against Tenn, he ran a really limited offense that was catered just for him.  

Now, your idea does have merit in other areas.  I'd love to see the second team OL start, for example.  I'd love to see what the young guys have got against starters.  I'd play all the young kids in the secondary.  Things like that.  

But so will everyone else.  If your plan is to stash your "trash" on the PS, then game film won't help that cause.

Which ever one you want to keep on the 53, work him.  The other one can sit the bench until you need to call him up.

That's how I see it. (In a cubicle, NOT on an NFL football coaching staff LOL)

That being said - I completely agree.  I, as a fan, want to see what we've drafted. 

BTW - Helu did a great job on that TD run.  I wonder if the two rooks could have pulled that off?

HAIL

Well, based on my extensive research on our two rookie RBs (after we drafted them, I checked their highlights on YouTube), the conclusion I came to was "Boy, those guys sure are FAST".

I didn't see them breaking tackles, AlMo style. But, if they got a hole, they sure had a chance at being gone.

(Me, if it's either/or, I'll take "always gets 2 yards after first contact" over "if his blockers can get him through the defense untouched, then they won't catch him", every single time. But, having BOTH could sure be useful.)

If I had my way, I wouldn't play a single starter that played Monday night. 

I doubt we go that far sadly, but I seriously doubt the starters see much action at all thankfully given the short work week made even shorter by the Welcome Home Luncheon today and the afternoon kick tomorrow. 

Monday was in effect our third exhibition game. 

Hail. 

If I had my way, I wouldn't play a single starter that played Monday night. 

I doubt we go that fart sadly, but I seriously doubt the starters see much action at all thankfully given the short work week made even shorter by the Welcome Home Luncheon today and the afternoon kick tomorrow. 

Monday was in effect our third exhibition game. 

Hail. 

I agree with this, I think Shanahan shares the same sentiments. I think a lot of players on the roster bubble and or fighting for more PT will see playing time i.e Alderick Robinson (if healthy of course). 

Lar

....Should we start Pat White, for example?

........I really didn't see Jamison, Monday night, either. (Granted, the fact that he fumbled his second carry, again might have something to do with that.) But, should we send him out there and at least see what he does, let him run 4-5 plays, before we push the ejector seat?

Or is this idea as stupid as it sounds?

I agree in as much as I believe team should use preseason to find answers to players they have questions about and need answers about.

I'm not sure if we need answers about Pat White but we would certainly have a crystal picture if we put him out there with the first unit.

I'm with you 100% only playing Jamison/Thompson and even Keiland Williams/Royster a bunch.

I believe the RB situation still isn't settled. BTW-Thompson fumbled last week not Jamison. Jamison to my eye seems to run with much more power then Thompson but granted the sample size is small.

I also think we should use this game to give Pugh/Gumbs a chance to play FS/SS with the first unit defense.

I would rather see Will Compton and Quan/Muck out there then Barnett. I'm an agist.

I would also like to see Pashos or Tom Compton play RT with the first unit.

Breaking news just posted an article about this guy, who I hadn't seen mentioned. (They forgot to include the link, in the post).

http://news.fredericksburg.com/redskinsjournal/2013/08/23/heavy-playing-time-could-bode-well-for-will-compton/

Heavy Playing Time Could Bode Well For Will Compton

ASHBURN – For an undrafted rookie such as Will Compton, playing so often during the preseason can be a good sign for the future.

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound Compton, signed out of Nebraska in April, played extensively as the second-team jack linebacker in each of the Redskins’ first two preseason games.

He was on the field for 24 of 59 snaps against the Titans in the opener, then played 36 of 75 snaps against the Steelers on Monday, when his five tackles ranked second on the team.

He was voted the Cornhuskers’ defensive MVP last season, when he led the team with 110 tackles and had three sacks, recovered three fumbles and had an interception.

But the transition to the Redskins has been quite the undertaking. Nebraska’s defense is vastly different from Washington’s: Compton was a 4-3 middle linebacker with a lot of two-gap responsibility, and now he’s one of two inside linebackers in a 3-4.

----------

Maybe we found a UDFA keeper?

And how does the defensive MVP from Nebraska go undrafted, anyway? I know they've gone downhill since Osborne left, but still?

Maybe we found a UDFA keeper?

And how does the defensive MVP from Nebraska go undrafted, anyway? I know they've gone downhill since Osborne left, but still?

Will Compton? I think he's a keeper, if not on the 53 hopefully on the practice squad.

How he went undrafted is a mystery he had good production and measured well at the combine and pro-day. (4.62 combine-4.54 at pro-day) and imo his speed shows up on the field.

Will "Vamper as my wife calls him" Compton has been pretty good as far as what I've seen. 

I'm guessing his size is the reason he dropped?  6'2" @ 230? 

I'm somewhat impressed with him, good pop when he hits players.  I love that he just throws himself into the holes, but he was out of position on the 4th and 1 playaction TD.  Pssht.  Rookies.

Hail.

John Keim was salivating over Compton in one of his reports, he said Will Compton looks like a future keeper on the roster for years to come. He'll more than likely be practice squad material for a year and find himself on the roster in a very small role once london leaves next year. 

I'd like to see Tom Compton get the start at RT - he has looked good this preseason at LT behind Trent and I have to think he could be an upgrade on Polumbus at RT.

I think a tackling dummy would be an upgrade over Tyler. 

But for some continued mystery the staff seem stuck on experience. No matter how bad that experience is. 

Hail. 

I think a tackling dummy would be an upgrade over Tyler. 

But for some continued mystery the staff seem stuck on experience. No matter how bad that experience is. 

Hail. 

He does very well in the run game.  And is no more a liability than anybody else in the pass game.  So, if you're going to play somebody who stinks in the pass game anyway, might as well play the guy who does well in the run game.  

Again, NO WAY Polumbus is a starter without the $18M cap penalty.  I don't even know if he makes the team.  But, it is what it is.  F You Mara. 

He does very well in the run game.  And is no more a liability than anybody else in the pass game.  So, if you're going to play somebody who stinks in the pass game anyway, might as well play the guy who does well in the run game.  

Or play your future and get him integrated and a season worth of experience for the 2014 challenge. 

Ahh, the joys of being a HC through a rebuild. Balancing the here and now and the future. 

Hail. 

Archived