Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Espn: Robert Griffin Iii Report: Better Mechanics

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/81254/robert-griffin-iii-report-better-mechanics

When it comes to Griffin’s mechanics, there’s a belief that the time off combined with the maturation in the offense has helped. If Griffin not only wants to play in the first game, but have success, then trusting sound mechanics is a must.

But the Redskins aren't as worried for a good reason: LaFleur said Griffin is much better in this area than a year ago.

“When you’re comfortable with the scheme and you know where you’re going with the ball, there’s a lot less thinking going on,” LaFleur said.

[...]The lower body mechanics are clearly a big deal. He can put more zip on the ball with better weight transfer, being able to fully plant and drive. As LaFleur said, there were days early in camp where it was clear Griffin could not plant and drive with authority because of his surgically-repaired right knee. But that hasn’t been the case the past couple weeks.

What LaFleur likes is how quickly Griffin learns when it comes to his throwing mechanics. Last week, for example, Griffin missed receiver Pierre Garcon wide on an out route. LaFleur knew why: Griffin had over-rotated his shoulders. They talked and Griffin went to the next play: a perfectly-thrown out route to the other side.

Another example from last week. The Redskins were working on their five-step hitch throws, and Griffin threw behind a couple times. The message to him: Speed up his steps, throw the ball earlier, but with less velocity.

“In two days he looks flawless,” LaFleur said. “He is a quick learner. You only have to tell him something once.”

This totally contradicts what Jaws said.

Exact thought that came to my mind as well. He went out of his way to trash his mechanics, and not include him in the list of elite QBs. I'm amazed at how quickly the talking heads have completely forgotten and discounted RG3, while hyping up players like Kaep as "the greatest of all time". insanity

Gotta love John Keim.

Been with espn less than a month and he is already giving Jaworski the middle finger.

Go ahead with your bad self, JK!

As for the article, the key appears to be "with time and coaching he improves everyday".  Which is a given with any player willing to be coached, especially one with the work ethic of a Robert Griffin, III.

Thanks for sharing, Cali ;)

I honestly think Jaws was just making **** outta nothing cause ESPN told him to do so. He never came across as an idiot in most of his broadcasting career so I don't know why he'd start now. 

Go to the last minute... you're welcome :)

How does that article contradict what Jaws said/saw?

I thought Jaws was right because I feel the same way. Griffin isn't 100% yet and might not be for awhile. For one thing the knee brace itself limits him some.

If you have doubts look at Griffins movement on his pro-day workout on youtube and compare it to his pre-game or other recent workouts.

People need to stop being so insecure.

It's not the end of the world that Griffin isn't back to 100% of himself 7 1/2 short months after surgery.

I agree Griffin isn't 100% but think he'll play week 1. Just like AD who started the season with a noticeable limp.

I feels like Jaws has been put in the "B" team of ESPN NFL analysts after his MNF Performances. 

I am not a fan of ex-players and coaches doing the TV thing. Some are really good. I'll even give Aikman credit for being good at his job. Jaws, I never liked him. Felt he was loud to overcome his limits at analyzing. 

How does that article contradict what Jaws said/saw?

I thought Jaws was right because I feel the same way. Griffin isn't 100% yet and might not be for awhile. For one thing the knee brace itself limits him some.

If you have doubts look at Griffins movement on his pro-day workout on youtube and compare it to his pre-game or other recent workouts.

People need to stop being so insecure.

It's not the end of the world that Griffin isn't back to 100% of himself 7 1/2 short months after surgery.

I agree Griffin isn't 100% but think he'll play week 1. Just like AD who started the season with a noticeable limp.

Apparently Jaws sais something about Griffin's mechanics, not just that he doesn't look 100% healthy.

If so, this article would seem to contradict his veiwpoint.

Jaws:

Ron Jaworski, the former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst, said on Mike and Mike in the Morning that when Griffin warmed up before this week’s preseason game, he looked like a fundamentally different passer than he had last season.

“I was watching him throw the football — there were a few clips — and I was concerned in the weight transfer,” he said. “I didn’t see the clean mechanics I’ve seen in the past."

Yeah...I'd say this article contradicts Jaws' opinion.

What was Jaws saying? I couldn't really hear him over Gruden lol...

"ah.. duh, duh, there's a lot of guys... but you gotta guy... you've got two years invested in this guy already... well (undetermed grumble... probably something about the Randy White hit)... but this guy's pretty good, too... yeah... (Chuckie: And that guys pretty good!) ... and so is this guy!... put some talent around him..."

That was the best I could do, bubba.

"ah.. duh, duh, there's a lot of guys... but you gotta guy... you've got two years invested in this guy already... well (undetermed grumble... probably something about the Randy White hit)... but this guy's pretty good, too... yeah... (Chuckie: And that guys pretty good!) ... and so is this guy!... put some talent around him..."

That was the best I could do, bubba.

LOL :D

Apparently Jaws sais something about Griffin's mechanics, not just that he doesn't look 100% healthy.

If so, this article would seem to contradict his veiwpoint.

Here is more: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/21/ron-jaworski-thinks-knee-injury-may-affect-rg3s-mechanics/

Ron Jaworski, the former NFL quarterback and current ESPN analyst, said on Mike and Mike in the Morning that when Griffin warmed up before this week’s preseason game, he looked like a fundamentally different passer than he had last season.

“I was watching him throw the football — there were a few clips — and I was concerned in the weight transfer,” he said. “I didn’t see the clean mechanics I’ve seen in the past. I’m not there every day, I’m not a doctor, but he just looks a little different right now. It’s pregame, it was warmup, people can discount that. I’m just saying from my eye, I didn’t see the clean drops, the weight transfer, stay on that back foot, snap the hips, that I’d seen out of him.”

Jaworski is also concerned that Griffin won’t be able to move the way he could as a rookie.

“I really don’t know what to expect,” Jaworski said. “His mobility has always set him apart and I’m not sure where his mobility is going to be.”

It’s a valid concern. And one that won’t go away until Griffin can prove he’s the same player he was last year, on the field in the regular season.

"’I'm not there every day, I’m not a doctor...It’s pregame, it was warmup, people can discount that..."

Apparently Jaws can't, though lol.

He's a little too eager to pronounce Griffin's abilities being damaged, even if (as he alludes to) he doesn't have nearly enough observation, experience or knowledge on Griffin' rehab and practices to make that assessment right now.

In that clip, all Gruden was saying was that with Luck & RGIII coming out of college, the Rams should definately evaulate their options, especially if a new coach came to town. They should really take the time to study Bradford and decide if he is the QB to move forward with or if they should trade him and go with Luck/RGIII, and then you see Jaworski get all perturbed and bothered like someone peed in his cheerios just because they have a different opinion.

Someone suggested RGIII might be a better choice than the traditional drop back statue prototype QB, and Jaws looked like he was about to abandon ship.

"’I'm not there every day, I’m not a doctor...It’s pregame, it was warmup, people can discount that..."

Apparently Jaws can't, though lol.

He's a little too eager to pronounce Griffin's abilities being damaged, even if (as he alludes to) he doesn't have nearly enough observation, experience or knowledge on Griffin' rehab and practices to make that assessment right now.

Yeah... he was asked to be controversial.  You can tell.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly bear!  I'm with you, make a stand or don't.

Like John Keim :)

That was awesome that he did that. 

Jaws:  Well... ugh... in my opinion... and qualify qualify caveat

Keim:  Facts - HULK SMASH - owned

Hail!

Archived