Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft: Google/youtube Could Make A Run At Sunday Ticket

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/21/googleyoutube-could-make-a-run-at-sunday-ticket/

Far more stunning than the potential loss of the NFL Sunday Ticket package by DirecTV could be its new landing spot.

According to All Things Digital (via SportsBusiness Daily), the rights held by DirecTV since 1994 were “among the topics of discussion” that came up during a Tuesday meeting between Google CEO Larry Page, YouTube Head of Content & Business Operations Robert Kyncl, and a delegation from the NFL that included Commissioner Roger Goodell.

They better come up with their own channels, because I'll be damned if I'm watching football on a 4 inch phone screen or 17 inch computer screen.  I just don't know how anyone can do that.  I need my 42 inch HD TV to watch the games.

Go to Google and search Chromecast. For $35 it would solve that problem.

But I'm not sure how this would work. It would be huge for Google to get, but I just don't see the point.

Why can't the NFL spread out the cost to multiple Cable/Satellite Companies?

Att Uverse

Xfinity

DirecTV

Verizon

Time
Warner

Cox

If each of those companies paid 150-200 Million a Year for Sunday Ticket, the NFL would get like 1.05-1.4 Billion dollars.
And on top of that, the price of Sunday Ticket would go down too.

Am I making it too simple?

WIf each of those companies paid 150-200 Million a Year for Sunday Ticket, the NFL would get lik3 1.05-1.4 Billion dollars.

And on top of that, they price of Sunday Ticket would go down too.

That does make a lot of sense, but somehow I see the NFL screaming price fixing or collusion or something along those lines.  Ironic I know! 

Apple should do it for Apple TV.  They have a bunch of cash just sitting around anyway.

They better come up with their own channels, because I'll be damned if I'm watching football on a 4 inch phone screen or 17 inch computer screen.  I just don't know how anyone can do that.  I need my 42 inch HD TV to watch the games.

HDMI cables/imputs are your friend!

NFL being the empire it is, I never understood why they would ever even entertain the idea of re-upping an exclusivity deal.  I know a ton of folks who have Comcast or Dish Network (and other various vendors) who would buy NFL ticket in a second if it became available to them.

Getting over an internet connection is still a stickler though for a lot of folks.  Those of us who have good solid broadband connections take it for granted as there are still a lot of folks who don't have fast enough internet to make it reliable for watching games dependent on a dependable connection.

If NFL Ticket was available on Dish Network, I probably never would have switched to Direct TV , while I think the service is just fine, I tend to think Dish Network was slightly better, definitely better prices for their packages and I liked their hardware a bit better too.

My connection can be spotty at times but it works well enough for the Preseason Package I buy every year. I would gladly pay 100-150 a season to have season long access to one NFL team of my choice's games to watch on demand. The time for the exclusivity deal to die is LONG past due.

HTTR

Att Uverse

Xfinity

DirecTV

Verizon

Time

Warner

Cox

If each of those companies paid 150-200 Million a Year for Sunday Ticket, the NFL would get like 1.05-1.4 Billion dollars.

yeah you are making it too simple because it would be tough for those companies to make the money back on their investment.  Although I do not have the actual numbers, but I am pretty sure DirecTV gets more benefit of forcing the customers to sign 2 year contracts or stay with them year after year than the actual $$ directly earned via NFL ticket subscriptions...

If there are too many options on the the cable networks then it would be hard to force people into long term contracts.

Also remember that NFL makes huge money from the TV deals with FOX, NBC, CBS, and ESPN.  If people have more freedom to watch whatever they wanted then it would likley to hurt the ratings and this hurt the future prices of these TV contracts.

Att Uverse

Xfinity

DirecTV

Verizon

Time

Warner

Cox

You left out Optimum.

Att Uverse

Xfinity

DirecTV

Verizon

Time

Warner

Cox

Its unlikely that all of those providers would pay that much of a flat fee to have non-exclusive sunday ticket.  A more likely scenario would be the providers offering a per subscriber rate to the NFL (like HBO, showtime, etc.).  This would be a lot less guaranteeed money for the NFL.  Getting a nice big fat check from one provider is much more appealing to the NFL.

The other issue is that if the NFL makes Sunday Ticket more widely available, it will impact the value of their CBS/FOX Sunday afternoon deals.    Their regional ad values will decrease since their viewership won't be as controlled to only regional markets.   This was one of the reasons why the NFL was comfortable with the DTV deal, it was a national provider that didn't have a huge footprint.   While those Network deals are currently in place till 2022, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some clauses to renegotiate if the Sunday Ticket terms change. 

• 2 weeks later...

Or just HDMI your PC to the TV.

Or buy an Xbox.

In fact, the Microsoft's Xbox One release seriously hinted that this may be the NFLs future. There sure was a lot of discussion about the NFL and Microsoft's partnership. I've been saying for a long time that Microsoft is gearing up to make a run at the cable/satalite companies, forget Sony. Lots of people are already switching to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon rather than cable..count me as one. The only reason I have cable is for NFL.  Youtube is available as an app on many TVs and is available on Xbox Live. My wife and I use our 360 for entertainment 90% of the time, and gaming very minimally.

The Xbox One is going to change things, support it or not...and from the way the NFL was involved in its release, I really expect to see Sunday Ticket go in that direction very soon.

Or buy an Xbox.

In fact, the Microsoft's Xbox One release seriously hinted that this may be the NFLs future. There sure was a lot of discussion about the NFL and Microsoft's partnership. I've been saying for a long time that Microsoft is gearing up to make a run at the cable/satalite companies, forget Sony. Lots of people are already switching to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon rather than cable..count me as one. The only reason I have cable is for NFL.  Youtube is available as an app on many TVs and is available on Xbox Live. My wife and I use our 360 for entertainment 90% of the time, and gaming very minimally.

The Xbox One is going to change things, support it or not...and from the way the NFL was involved in its release, I really expect to see Sunday Ticket go in that direction very soon.

Forget Sony?  The PS3 has allowed people for a few years to get the NFL Sunday Ticket at a cheaper cost than Direct TV offers to its current subscribers.  Sony is already part of the game that XBOX is trying to suit up for without having any pads.  And, that is not even talking about the disaster that was their unveiling of the One at E3, but that is nowhere near the topic of this thread.

Archived