Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

COULD COUSINS BE RETAINED AFTER HIS CONTRACT

MWAI

There's no chance we retain Cousin's unless he starts playing so poorly that we wouldn't WANT to retain him.

He's not a 1st rounder, so there's no renegotiating after 3 to my understanding. That's only with 1st round picks. For later picks, it's a 4 year flat contract and then free agency.

He's going to be offered starter money SOMEWHERE if he gets to free agency with us. And there's no reasonable way we can both pay RG3, put together a competitive team, and pay our backup QB "starter" money. It's just not realistic or a good use imho.

The guy obvious has a strong desire to be a starting QB in this league and I think, given the type of contracts he'll be offered, that there's no chance that anything we could reasonably offer is going to beat the offer of "Good money + starting".

All the more reason why, despite the fact I think he's a very good QB, I'm all for looking to trade him in year 3 or 4

why is the thread title shouting at me?

shouting.gif

Trying to get the message across. I see no chance if Cousins keeps going being able to afford both him and RGIII. He would not settle for back up pay, and he shouldn't. That said if White continues on his preseason tear it won't matter, he will be good enough as a back up and you can get a first for Cousins. Of course depends on the Golden One's health.

We'll get a 2nd for him at best. No crappy team with no QB is giving up a 1st. They'll be drafting too high.

Hmmm the FIRST round QB picks since 2009... Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Bradford, Tebow, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Tannehill, Weeden. IMO Cousins is a known entity that is much better than many of those listed above.

sorry for the all caps. I thought the system corrected that automatically. Guess not. I was wrong in my assumption. I can handle that rule in the future. no problemo.

Also, I have read all the comments and it seems like many of you are busy commenting that Kirk will not be staying, but the question was really about whether you would be for it or not. I think we all know that the final decision will be up to Captain Kirk, but the question was IF he and the Skins can work it out, do you want a super valuable backup in place of a couple of draft #1 picks.

The NFL is run by dumb GMs. We're talking about GMs that trade a 2nd round pick and a Pro Bowl CB for Kevin Kolb. Or a 2nd round pick for AJ Feely. Or $50+ Mil for Matt Flynn.

We'll get AT LEAST a 2nd for Cousins but I'd hold out for a 1st. Some clown GM will give it up.

We'll get AT LEAST a 2nd for Cousins but I'd hold out for a 1st. Some clown GM will give it up.

A first for a potential franchise QB isn't a clownish move IMO. Even if KC never becomes more than a steady-Eddie kind of QB, many firsts have been spent on that type of player.

My concern is this.........RG3's health as he continues in the NFL.  IF he blows out his knee again I think his career is over with.  He already has torn the same knee twice.  I cross my fingers and HOPE that RG3 last 10 years.  At this point I don't know if he last 5 years.  I say we trade Cousin's in his last year of his contract.  JMO.

You wouldn't trade Cousins for a 1st next year that gave us a chance to get Clowny?

Seriously...trade him to the Chargers, Raiders, or Jets.  I know the Jets just took Geno Smith so they aren't a likely target.  The Raiders have pretty much nothing at the position unless you're counting on Matt Flynn, and the Chargers have Phillip Rivers on the wrong side of 30 and declining, and nothing behind him.  They will probably be in contention for the worst record in the NFL this year.

That said, Cousins isn't worth a 1st rounder right now.  I think we have a tendency to inflate his current value.  But a few more good showings in the preseason and maybe a game or two during the regular, and maybe other teams start thinking about it.

I dont know about all that.  It's not just us inflating his value, you've got media saying he could start or compete for the starting job of at least 10 other teams, and NFL.com (I think it as them) named him the #1 backup in the league.  It's not just this fanbase pointing this out.  It's quite possible that he could be traded for a first round pick in 2014.  

Optimally, RG3's injury wouldn't have been that major and we could have traded Cousins this offseason, knowing for sure whether he'd be back.  No one could have expected RG3 to come back from surgery as soon as he did, so keeping Cousins was the smart move, given the situation.  But 2013 had to be one of THE sketchiest draft classes at the position I've ever seen.  I know a couple of trades/signings might have complicated matters (Alex Smith to KC, Carson Palmer to Arizona), but that's still pretty damning as far as the crop of guys coming out was concerned.  To be fair, the Chiefs and Jags might have gone with Fisher and Joeckel anyway.  A franchise-level OT is nearly as hard to find as a franchise QB, and if there's one there, it's more than worth the investment.  But for the first QB of a class to come off the board in the middle of the first round hasn't happened in ages (I believe the last time it happened that late was Chad Pennington back in... 2000), and it's particularly jarring when the new rookie wage scale was allowing teams to take bigger risks at even reaching a bit for a QB if they really wanted him.  Remember the 2011 Draft?  4 QBs in the Top 12 - and the fourth guy (Christian Ponder) was widely considered to be a pretty big reach.  Fast forward to 2013 and no QBs were taken until #16 in the draft.

We probably could have gotten the best value out of Cousins if we'd been able to trade him this past offseason. 

2014 is shaping up to be a little different.  Teddy Bridgewater and A.J. McCarron are out there, as well as Tajh Boyd from Clemson, David Fales from San Jose State, Zack Mettenberger from LSU, and Stephen Morris from Miami, and that's just the guys we know are coming out.  (Bridgewater's a true junior, but he'd be a fool to stay past this season and risk some sort of injury when his stock literally can't go any higher.)  If Braxton Miller has a good year at Ohio State, he could bolt, and if Johnny Manziel's in the mix one way or another, somebody WILL take a chance on him, if only for his ability to put butts in seats.  Yes, he's 6'1" in cleats.  I don't care.  That's two inches taller than Russell Wilson was.

This is a success if we get somebody to see Cousins as a starter.  If a team sees him as 'the guy', that all but guarantees us a return of at least a 2nd-round pick if we trade him.  But if a team other than the Redskins sees him as 'the guy' at the end of Cousins' contract, there's no way in hell he sticks around here, and I wouldn't blame him for a second.

As for replacing Cousins... let's not worry about that now, but Mike Shanahan did his scouting before he made this pick (a pick which a lot of people savaged him for initially, including myself), and I'm sure he'd do his scouting and find another backup.  Maybe not as good as Cousins, but there always seems to be a guy in every draft that drops for not being as flashy as his counterpart.

But I'd hold off on shipping Cousins out as soon as RG3 gets the A-OK.  Plenty of guys in the league are star-crossed types who get hurt, go through recovery, and get a clean bill of health, only to suffer the same or another injury the following year.  It's unlikely, but if that's the case with RG3, as much as it would tear our collective hearts out, it wouldn't be smart to keep him.  And then you're looking for another starter - why not the guy that's been learning the playbook for 4 years at that point?  That's the only scenario I see in which Kirk gets a long-term contract.  If RG3 gets through a year or two without suffering any freak injuries, Kirk's a starter somewhere else and the Redskins are rewarded with a top-50 overall pick for some damn good scouting.

If you really want to get Clowny it would most likely take KC and Our 2nd round pick to get the first overall pick next year. And that may even not be enough. That being said we will have at leaset 30 mil in cap space to resign the players we want to keep and a few FA that will help upgrade spots on this roster. So how many picks next year will really have a chance at making this team. Bowen and Cofield are both 8 year vets this year and who knows what will happen with Cariker. Clowny maybe just what the team needs to really take the final step into contention. Could you get excited about him and Orakpo comming of the same edge every snap ?

My concern is this.........RG3's health as he continues in the NFL.  IF he blows out his knee again I think his career is over with.  He already has torn the same knee twice.  I cross my fingers and HOPE that RG3 last 10 years.  At this point I don't know if he last 5 years.  I say we trade Cousin's in his last year of his contract.  JMO.

Who would trade for a guy in the last year of his contract if he can just wait and sign him without giving up a pick?

Who would trade for a guy in the last year of his contract if he can just wait and sign him without giving up a pick?

Someone who:

1) Needs a starting caliber QB

2) Has something spurring them to act NOW. An example would be a coach trying to hold on, or a new coach coming in and wanting "his guy".

3) Has confidence they can sign him once he hits the free agent market (basically having a nudge nudge, wink wink deal in place)

4) Wants to take advantage of having their top Quarterback costing them pennies on the dollar for that year.

He ABSOLUTELY will be a better value next year as opposed to the start of year four. But I still think there's value there in year four that's going to be worth more than what we drafted him for.

We'll get a 2nd for him at best. No crappy team with no QB is giving up a 1st. They'll be drafting too high.

Hmmm the FIRST round QB picks since 2009... Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Bradford, Tebow, Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Tannehill, Weeden. IMO Cousins is a known entity that is much better than many of those listed above.

And those bad teams with no QB will just continue that trend of DRAFTING QBs in the 1st round. Especially with younger, more exciting QBs coming out this year like Manziel, Bridgewater, and McCarron. MAYBE if a team towards the back of the 1st need a QB pretty badly, they'll offer it up but typically teams drafting that late already have a plan at QB. If a team towards the top of the 1st needs a QB, it makes more sense for them to trade their early 2nd for Cousins, which I think is pretty fair value for him when I look at it objectively. 

Plenty of teams thought the same thing about guys like AJ Feely, Kevin Kolb, and recently Matt Flynn.  Teams are going to be more interested in drafting a QB high in the first than trading the pick for a veteran.  They're younger, cheaper, and have untapped potential.  

Also interesting that you left RGIII, and Luck off your list but mentioned Weeden and Tannehill.  

Cousins seems to be the classic back-up QB guy that gets hyped until people figure out he's not really that good. Like Kevin Kolb. Or Matt Cassel. Or Rob Johnson. Or Scott Mitchell. Or AJ Feeley. Or Charlie Whitehurst. Most of these guys showed at least something in the league and all of them got a decent return of a big money contract. none of them were good.

Not that it never works out. Green Bay seems to be kings of this by stealing Brett Favre from Atlanta and then developing legit players as back-ups for trades like Brunell, Hasselbeck, and Brooks (well, kind of on Brooks). But those seem to be the exceptions.

In recent years, hyped back-ups have fall flat on the free market. Matt Flynn barely got any suitors, little money and then usurper by a 3rd round rookie. Brian Hoyer got flat out released when a lot of "experts" though he's net the Patriots a 2nd or 3rd rounder. So I'm not sure there re that many buyers out there.

I like what Cousins has done. I hope he's more the exception than the rule. But I generally feel people are overhyping him based on a very small amount of games. If the Redskins can get a good return for him, they should go for it. And I don't think his market will be nearly as high as many here think. Realistically, he'll be traded before his contract is up if he has value. Its only if he doesn't that the Redskins let his contract expire. And I tend to think any trade will be a "sell high".

C'mon now,  lets stop with the NFL version of Lets Make A Deal already.

We're FINALLY blessed enough to get not only a great QB in RGII, but an equally great QB in Cousins, and

some want to gamble him away for 1 or 2 draft picks.  RGIII somehow gets injured and you'd rather send

in Grossman ?  Pat White ?

Really?

Really?

This garage sale mentality has got to stop; no offense intended towards any one person, but use a little

common sense and gameplan scenarios before bringing up crackpipe ideas.

BTW: You DO know that Kyle has a few plays designed for BOTH QB's to be in at the same time.

SIC

The NFL is run by dumb GMs. We're talking about GMs that trade a 2nd round pick and a Pro Bowl CB for Kevin Kolb. Or a 2nd round pick for AJ Feely. Or $50+ Mil for Matt Flynn.

And better, if some clown team hires Vinnie, probably 2 firsts.

You wouldn't trade Cousins for a 1st next year that gave us a chance to get Clowny?

I gotta ask; where would he be put?  Unless Mike decides to go to a 4-3,  someone would get their feelings hurt.

He and Jenkins would be absolute studs at DE.

He's a fair bit light to be a de.  I, however, am not sure we resign Orakpo either, as he is an fa after this year.  Supposedly we are working on a contract extension for him currently, but any number of things could still leave us with a need at olb.  Doubt we'd pick high enough to get clowney though, but what a coup that would be.

C'mon now,  lets stop with the NFL version of Lets Make A Deal already.

We're FINALLY blessed enough to get not only a great QB in RGII, but an equally great QB in Cousins, and

some want to gamble him away for 1 or 2 draft picks.  RGIII somehow gets injured and you'd rather send

in Grossman ?  Pat White ?

Really?

Really?

This garage sale mentality has got to stop; no offense intended towards any one person, but use a little

common sense and gameplan scenarios before bringing up crackpipe ideas.

BTW: You DO know that Kyle has a few plays designed for BOTH QB's to be in at the same time.

SIC

I haven't really seen many people suggesting we "gamble him away" this season. 

Most seem to be suggesting we "gamble him away" on the 3rd season and some even are saying JUST in his 4th.

After his 4th season we're going to lose him for nothing. To ME .... a pick and having to go with a developmental QB/FA Veteran for a year is better than no picks and then still having to go to that developmental QB/FA veteran the following year.

Archived