Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

COULD COUSINS BE RETAINED AFTER HIS CONTRACT

MWAI

I will be the first one to say that I am changing my stance on the trade Cousins bandwagon. I have said in the past play Captain Kirk as much as possible, keep him for 3 years, and then attempt to trade him for a 1st and a 2nd or whatever value he will bring, possibly more. BUT.....

I believe having a great backup is far more important than getting an unknown draft pick regardless if it becomes a number 1 pick. So.....

The question is,....after 3 years Cousins can renegotiate his contract because he was a mid round pick. Should the Skins bite the bullet before RG3's contract comes up after that, and go ahead and sign Cousins to a 5 year or 6 year deal with a nice bonus that can be prorated over a long period of time?

Of course Cousins could opt out and decline any options with the Redskins because he wants to be a starter, but MONEY TALKS...so instead of finishing out his rookie contracts the Skins could offer him stability and a good amount of cash to stay. So I was just wondering if anybody else out there sees the possibility of retaining Captain Kirk, at least in theory.

You wouldn't trade Cousins for a 1st next year that gave us a chance to get Clowny?

Clowney's going top 5, unless something drastic happens.

That means that he's going to be going to either:

Jets

Jaguars

Raiders

Chiefs

Cardinals

or maybe one or two other teams.

Are any of them going to be willing to trade their first pick for him?

You wouldn't trade Cousins for a 1st next year that gave us a chance to get Clowny?

That's a reach. Clowney will likely be the 1st overall pick in next years draft. Based on what Peter King and others are saying, we could likely get a 1st for Kirk, but #1 overall is a reach

If the price was right, maybe Cousins would consider staying.  I don't think he will though. We will trade him before his contract is up.  I think the team we trade him to will be very happy because I think Cousins is going to be a very good QB, possibly elite one day.  I think he would make the Vikings a pretty scary team.  He would make the Cardinals a lot more interesting too.  There are lots of teams that would see a significant upgrade at QB if they got Cousins.

Seriously...trade him to the Chargers, Raiders, or Jets.  I know the Jets just took Geno Smith so they aren't a likely target.  The Raiders have pretty much nothing at the position unless you're counting on Matt Flynn, and the Chargers have Phillip Rivers on the wrong side of 30 and declining, and nothing behind him.  They will probably be in contention for the worst record in the NFL this year.

That said, Cousins isn't worth a 1st rounder right now.  I think we have a tendency to inflate his current value.  But a few more good showings in the preseason and maybe a game or two during the regular, and maybe other teams start thinking about it.

If he is a potential Franchise QB, there will be no way the skins can keep him, financially and if they get a #1 or #2 offer? (not now but in a few years) He will be gone, believe me. The Shanny's arent stupid... they have to get the value for him before his deal is up. sucks but thats the NFL.

I gotta ask; where would he be put?  Unless Mike decides to go to a 4-3,  someone would get their feelings hurt.

Not to mention, the Redskins are pretty much one late hit/ awkward landing/freak accident from

Rex Grossman or Pat White; sorry, I just don't believe in the 'Obama-spread-the-wealth' psychology

in pro football, especially one involving another NFC team...

We'll get a 2nd for him at best. No crappy team with no QB is giving up a 1st. They'll be drafting too high.

No way.  If Cousins keeps playing like he has, he would net us at least a 1st.  He was touted in the draft to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   It wasn't expected that he would slip to the 4th.  Now that he has shown he can play at this level, especially showing he is clutch in big games like the Ravens, he should be more valuable that Flynn of Kolb ever was.  I've already read that many scouts and analysts say we could get a couple of picks for him, including a 1st rounder.

I gotta ask; where would he be put?  Unless Mike decides to go to a 4-3,  someone would get their feelings hurt.

If this kid is as good as everyone says, they'll make room for him somewhere.

Clowney's going top 5, unless something drastic happens.

That means that he's going to be going to either:

Jets

Jaguars

Raiders

Chiefs

Cardinals

or maybe one or two other teams.

Are any of them going to be willing to trade their first pick for him?

I can see the Jaguars in need of a real QB. Blaine Gabbert and Chad Henne don't seem like the answer there. The Cardinals will need a new QB soon too but I don't know if they'll give up a first for him.

As much as I would love to keep him as RG3's backup it just doesn't seem likely.

I think having a great backup is worth more than a 1st, but it wouldn't be fair to Cousins to keep him on the bench if he wants to start somewhere. I doubt he would resign anyways, especially considering the money the Skins could offer a backup vs. what other teams would be willing to pay a starter.

You trade Cousins this year then select another QB in the mid-rounds next year in what will be another deep draft for QBs (someone like Fales, Carr, etc) and repeat the process over again.

I disagree. You trade him after year 3 of his 4 year deal. This team can't afford to let him walk until we know RG3 is all good. Which he is.

Peter King was talking on twitter about Cousins potentially landing a late first 

It's a heady thought. And given there are still reasonable concerns for RG3's durability/health over the next year, Cousins continues (for me) to look like a shrewd pick. 

Archived