Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Female referees?

hailyeah1

In response to the danger comment, it would certainly be terrible to see a female ref get pancaked in the middle of the field, but that's her choice. If she knows the dangerous and accepts the position, who are we to say she can't be out there.

Agreed, 100%. Plenty of refs have been jacked up, whether it be the head ref, side judge, etc, so her getting jacked up would certainly be a possibility. Comes with the territory.

Wow SpacePenguin you should quit while you are ahead.  Your last post only proves his point.

Yeah, because acknowledging there are differences between the sexes is misogyny. Like I said, if denying women the right to play in the NFL is acceptable, then why isn't denying them the right to officiate in it? Nobody accuses gender exclusive collegiate sports teams of sexism, so why is seperating genders acceptable when it comes to the actual players, but not the coaching staff/referees?

Where exactly does this **** end? You want them coaching a sport they've never even played as well? Again, for what purpose other than the illusion of perfect equality?

Otherwise it's just political correctness for the sake thereof. 

yea, this.  A thing no one was asking for, that creates a debate no one wanted to have.  Far too much of that these days.

Honestly, where were all these women who were dying to become referees in male sports?  It's not a problem for me, I'm just saying...why did it ever even come up?

You don't need to have played a game to know, and be trained and drilled constantly in the rules. I'm sure there are plenty of male refs who've never played football. I'm sure there are some coaches who've never played football.

I kind of saw this response coming, and you're right, I'll concede this point....

yea, this.  A thing no one was asking for, that creates a debate no one wanted to have. Far too much of that these days.

Honestly, where were all these women who were dying to become referees in male sports? ;It's not a problem for me, I'm just saying...why did it ever even come up?

Yeah, the only reason I got so worked up is because of the kneejerk reaction to my opinion with little in the way of constructive dialogue to go along with it. I still haven't seen a good reason to allow this, and I don't expect to.

I suppose since there is no women's NFL, that some strange women dream of reffing football, and have no choice but to get out there on the field with lighting fast 250 lb men flying around if they want to realize that dream. I guess that's a good enough reason....but I will never understand it nor like it lol.

That's fine. I don't have to, but if someone wants to discuss the issue, it'd be nice to do just that, instead of self-righteously tossing out hollow insults and feminista talking points.

Take that **** back to the Tailgate, I'm not in the mood.

Wow SpacePenguin you should quit while you are ahead.  Your last post only proves his point.

Yeah, because acknowledging there are differences between the sexes is misogyny. Like I said, if denying women the right to play in the NFL is acceptable, then why isn't denying them the right to officiate in it? Nobody accuses gender exclusive collegiate sports teams of sexism, so why is seperating genders acceptable when it comes to the actual players, but not the coaching staff/referees?

Where exactly does this **** end? You want them coaching a sport they've never even played as well? Again, for what purpose other than the illusion of perfect equality?

I hate to break it to you but most if not all of NFL officials never played in the NFL or college programs.

Shocking.

The **** ends when ignorant people end it.

I guess you can't ride on the bus where you wan't to ride????

You don't need to have played a game to know, and be trained and drilled constantly in the rules. I'm sure there are plenty of male refs who've never played football. I'm sure there are some coaches who've never played football.

I kind of saw this response coming, and you're right, I'll concede this point....

yea, this.  A thing no one was asking for, that creates a debate no one wanted to have. Far too much of that these days.

Honestly, where were all these women who were dying to become referees in male sports? ;It's not a problem for me, I'm just saying...why did it ever even come up?

Yeah, the only reason I got so worked up is because of the kneejerk reaction to my opinion with little in the way of constructive dialogue to go along with it. I still haven't seen a good reason to allow this, and I don't expect to.

I suppose since there is no women's NFL, that some strange women dream of reffing football, and have no choice but to get out there on the field with lighting fast 250 lb men flying around if they want to realize that dream. I guess that's a good enough reason....but I will never understand it nor like it lol.

That's fine. I don't have to, but if someone wants to discuss the issue, it'd be nice to do just that, instead of self-righteously tossing out hollow insults and feminista talking points.

A good reason to allow it?  A few years ago you couldn't even have a female sports reporter, now they are common.

You can't discuss the issue with a sexist who doesn't want to discuss it.

To the tailgate.  :D

I hate to break it to you but most if not all of NFL officials never played in the NFL or college programs.

Shocking.

The **** ends when ignorant people end it.

I guess you can't ride on the bus where you wan't to ride????

Yeah, I already conceded the point not even 5 posts ago, if you could follow the conversation you'd know. Some people online can admit to being wrong.

Shocking, I know.

Maybe you're just so desperate to feel superior you needed to rehash this though. That's fine. I hope it swelled your ego up.

A good reason to allow it?  A few years ago you couldn't even have a female sports reporter, now they are common.

You haven't even tried to discuss anything. Only tried to appear clever while contributing very little at all, aside from insults. Makes it rather hard to take you seriously. What the hell do female sports reporters have to do with anything? :P

About as much as a female president did I guess.

Whatever floats your goat. Soon enough we'll all be cyborgs anyway.

You haven't even tried to discuss anything. Only tried to appear clever while contributing very little at all, aside from insults. Makes it rather hard to take you seriously. What the hell do female sports reporters have to do with anything? :P

About as much as a female president did I guess.

Whatever floats your goat. Soon enough we'll all be cyborgs anyway.

Just a fail on your part.  Good job.  I will use the bathroom you choose.

It's 2013. Women are on the fight cards for the UFC, serving in the military, and chasing gang members around the worst city streets in America. Why then am I reading nonsense about big fast men on a football field being dangerous? Just stop with the delicate flower nonsense. It's not like current refs are currently surviving the season due to their amazing athleticism and lightning fast reflexes.

I don't see why it would matter.  As said above, most male refs probably have never played and females are not more sensitive than males.  One point I'd like to bring up regarding being in harms way, women are not weaker or more fragile than men.  How often do you see a ref really get hurt anyway?

A Fail? I suppose even responding to someone acting this childish pretty much is.

I miss the ignore feature from the old board.

Anyways, back to the topic. I was thinking more of the public reaction if a collision does take place, rather than physical danger really.

One point I'd like to bring up regarding being in harms way, women are not weaker or more fragile than men. ;How often do you see a ref really get hurt anyway?

Really? Women are not weaker or more fragile than men physically? Then why don't women play collegiate and professional football? I'm not being rude, just asking....because if everything is equal physically, you'd have to think there would be a great number of female talents playing football. If you say that physically the genders are identical, and the reason women don't play is society influencing them to not want to....then why do they want to referee football if they have been psychologically conditioned to regard it as a man's sport?

As for how often refs get hurt? Couple of times a season, I'd guess. It doesn't happen as much since they moved them out of the path of the football outside of the last 2 minutes of each half.

Oh, sorry....I forgot. I'm supposed to be a sexist who doesn't want to discuss this issue. My bad.

lol

The only issue that catches my attention is, will Head Coaches still yell and curse at the female refs when they make a bad call?

It'd be sexist to treat them any differently than their male counterparts, honestly.

That being said...it likely won't happen, and if a HC ever does berate a female official, he will catch hell from the media over it.

HCs will probably sweet-talk them instead....and somehow that will be more acceptable in the mainstream. Double standards are strange things.

Idk how I feel about this topic. I think that a female referee would not hurt the game and would not help it. There is a female NBA referee who I see sometimes for Wizards games and she seems like a pretty decent ref and that's an all male sport. So maybe a female referee would not be a bad thing for football. 

I do agree with SpacePenguin about how people argue. A lot of people will quickly slap a label on someone who they do not agree with. The world is becoming a very PC place and it is quite scary. If you can control what is "acceptable" to say then you can control how people think and control what people think is "normal", and that is extremely scary.

How about this. Women in my experience tend to be somewhat more observant and deliberate in their decision making. The key is to look at the skills needed for the job and in this case, I don't see these pudgebuckets we currently have on the field exhibiting any particular skillset that is uniquely masculine.

The politics of the situation may get dicey at times, but if there's even a small chance of improving the quality of officiating then I'm all for it.

Wow, are you all really playing the hypothetical game now?

A woman is a person and they handle many tough jobs. If this woman referee makes it to the NFL it's likely because she earned her way there. She is handling her business at the current level and if she gets promoted then the only concerns should be can she elevate her job performance to NFL level, the SAME concern you'd have with any other ref.

..... and I for one welcome our new female referee overlords and just want to remind them that as a trusted TV personality I can be useful in rounding up others to toil in their salt mines

It's 2013. Women are on the fight cards for the UFC, serving in the military, and chasing gang members around the worst city streets in America. Why then am I reading nonsense about big fast men on a football field being dangerous? Just stop with the delicate flower nonsense. It's not like current refs are currently surviving the season due to their amazing athleticism and lightning fast reflexes.

The women inclined to fight in the UFC, fight in the military and chase gang members are the exception not the norm.  The women who would be refereeing are more likely to fit into the general population of women who are generally not as aggressive or in love with violence as men are.  It is reasonable to believe that people of different genders could make different calls based on such.  I'm not saying a woman is incapable of delivering the EXACT same level of refereeing as a man.  Just that there IS a legitimate, reasonable, position that the general differences between the sexes COULD make a difference in how they call a game.

One point I'd like to bring up regarding being in harms way, women are not weaker or more fragile than men. ;How often do you see a ref really get hurt anyway?

Really? Women are not weaker or more fragile than men physically? Then why don't women play collegiate and professional football? I'm not being rude, just asking....because if everything is equal physically, you'd have to think there would be a great number of female talents playing football. If you say that physically the genders are identical, and the reason women don't play is society influencing them to not want to....then why do they want to referee football if they have been psychologically conditioned to regard it as a man's sport?

As for how often refs get hurt? Couple of times a season, I'd guess. It doesn't happen as much since they moved them out of the path of the football outside of the last 2 minutes of each half.

Oh, sorry....I forgot. I'm supposed to be a sexist who doesn't want to discuss this issue. My bad.

lol

I'd like to know when I said women are equal physically.  A look at the average female and male weight alone can clearly disprove that.  Women don't have thinner bones, they aren't more sensitive to pain, women are not more fragile. 

I'm against it. Despite what society would want us to believe, there ARE differences between males and females that are not JUST physical. One of which is sensitivity to violence. Generally women are more sensitive to violence and i could see that ultimately leading to more calls being made on plays where any other ref would have seen it as a regular hit. I anticipate vigorous diatribe against this position (can you ever get away with any opinion on this board?), but while someone may disagree, i dont think i hold an unreasonable position.

Maybe not, but your reasoning probably isn't all that realistic. After all, there are female soldiers, female paramedics, cops, firefighters, etc. Women who are exposed to violent conditions professionally probably aren't anymore sensitive to it than their male counterparts. If they were too sensitive too it, I don't think they would be there in the first place.

Actually as a whole, I think women are more in control during a stressful situation then men are. I know my mom was able to handle my "accidents" with no stress at all and I was always getting hurt.

A good reason to allow it? Because she meets all of the qualifications.

A lady referee would be able to run up and down the sideline just as fast as a man and she would make the same crap calls as a man. She wouldn't be more in control, or less in control of a game.

It is more of a media issue. I can see it now..Some player winks at her after a touchdown and it makes national headlines and all the feminists come out and have a march on the hill and something about civil rights. Then Skip Bayless debates on First take how this athlete should be fined and suspended by the NFL. Then ESPN does a 30 30 documentary and all these clowns talk about the "wink" and about how they will never forget where they were and what they were doing when this happened. And then the President will make some clown comment about that could have been his daughter. Followed by this "historic" moment being coined "winkgate" 

Ya know? Cuz that's how the media is.

Archived