Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Female referees?

hailyeah1

there might be the first female ref calling games on a regular basis in the future..

there is one training in New Orleans right now working practices and scrimages.

What does everyone think ?   it doesn't matter to me a zebra is a zebra once they put the uniform on just hope they won't treat her different because of it also showing respect.

I'm sure it'll happen at some point, but I honestly dread the day.

I don't think all-male teams should be officiated by anything but male referees. If they want to make the league coed, then sure it'd be fine. If they wanted to make a female version of the NFL, then again female refs are fine by me.

Otherwise it's just political correctness for the sake thereof. I feel the same way about other sports. If you're going to exclude a gender from competing on the field, then don't put that gender out there to officiate. Same deal with women's sports and male referees.

Anyways, whenever it does happen, I will be looking forward to the public reaction the first time a woman gets her nose broken by a football, or gets run over by a tight end. Because it will undoubtedly happen.

I don't care anymore about a female reffing a football game than I do about a male coaching a female basketball/volleyball/etc team. I can see it being an issue if the head coach wants to tear into the ref as usual,  and how that would look to people, but other than that, I don't really care.

I don't care anymore about a female reffing a football game than I do about a male coaching a female basketball/volleyball/etc team. I can see it being an issue if the head coach wants to tear into the ref as usual,  and how that would look to people, but other than that, I don't really care.

Maybe the Skins should hire an all female coaching staff then ;p

I'm sure they'd be an asset with all that football experience lol

I'm against it.  Despite what society would want us to believe, there ARE differences between males and females that are not JUST physical.  One of which is sensitivity to violence.  Generally women are more sensitive to violence and i could see that ultimately leading to more calls being made  on plays where any other ref would have seen it as a regular hit.  I anticipate vigorous diatribe against this position (can you ever get away with any opinion on this board?), but while someone may disagree, i dont think i hold an unreasonable position.

I don't think all-male teams should be officiated by anything but male referees. If they want to make the league coed, then sure it'd be fine. If they wanted to make a female version of the NFL, then again female refs are fine by me.

Otherwise it's just political correctness for the sake thereof. I feel the same way about other sports. If you're going to exclude a gender from competing on the field, then don't put that gender out there to officiate. Same deal with women's sports and male referees.

Anyways, whenever it does happen, I will be looking forward to the public reaction the first time a woman gets her nose broken by a football, or gets run over by a tight end. Because it will undoubtedly happen.

Ladies and gentlemen, misogyny. Pretty cool how overt sexism is more socially acceptable than overt racism or even overt homophobia these days. I honestly think we'll have a gay president before we get a woman president precisely because of these kinds of people.

Ladies and gentlemen, misogyny. Pretty cool how overt sexism is more socially acceptable than overt racism or even overt homophobia these days. I honestly think we'll have a gay president before we get a woman president precisely because of these kinds of people.

You seem genuinely surprised by that.

It's pretty cool how you don't know me, but are more than willing to slap a convenient label on just because I don't agree with women refereeing male exclusive sports. I shouldn't be surprised, as that's just what people do when they disagree these days. Close their eyes to the actual argument being made and slap on a label.

Then you proceed to jump completely off topic to politics as if your assumption about me is fact.

"These kinds of people"....lmfao dude, get the **** over yourself.

If you have an actual reason why females should referee NFL games aside from, "Women can/should do anything men can do"(1. If they could, they'd be playing in the NFL right now...let's face it, it's not sexism keeping them off the field. 2. If you're still not convinced, watch an NCAA women's basketball game sometime and try to tell yourself it's identical to the men's version), I'm more than willing to listen. Hell, I may even change my mind.

Otherwise, since you were so eager to pigeonhole me,I'll consider you to be just another PC parrot.

I'm against it.  Despite what society would want us to believe, there ARE differences between males and females that are not JUST physical.  One of which is sensitivity to violence.  Generally women are more sensitive to violence and i could see that ultimately leading to more calls being made  on plays where any other ref would have seen it as a regular hit.  I anticipate vigorous diatribe against this position (can you ever get away with any opinion on this board?), but while someone may disagree, i dont think i hold an unreasonable position.

Maybe not, but your reasoning probably isn't all that realistic. After all, there are female soldiers, female paramedics, cops, firefighters, etc. Women who are exposed to violent conditions professionally probably aren't anymore sensitive to it than their male counterparts. If they were too sensitive too it, I don't think they would be there in the first place.

In theory, it's fine.

In practice, it seems problematic.  Let's face it, it's a dangerous job.

So is being a firefighter, a police officer or in military combat.  I think I would take my chances as a career as an NFL ref.  :lol::D;)

I think Rodeo clown or Nascar tire changer is a far better comparison, don't you?

In theory, it's fine.

So is being a firefighter, a police officer or in military combat.  I think I would take my chances as a career as an NFL ref.  :lol::D;)

I think Rodeo clown or Nascar tire changer is a far better comparison, don't you?

No.

You forgot your smileys.

In theory, it's fine.

No.

You forgot your smileys.

In theory, it's fine.

No.

Compelling argument.

Wow! i ignited  debate on both sides !!.Like i said nobody could be worse than replacement buffoons they brought in last year ,so give it a chance . My only question is at the odd chance the women refs being ran over or stuck in the bottom of a pile but they would have to pass the same physical test the men refs do and some of the men are in their late 50's ,balding and are alittle pudgy to put it nicely.

I really don't have a problem with it, but she's going to have to be really well-versed in the rules otherwise if there's a bad call, she could be ripped in the media and then there could really be a firestorm from women's rights groups.  It's really a fine line basically.  

Archived