Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Redskins Beat (or Non-Beat) Writer

Dub70s

Best Redskins News Writer  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you identify as the best writer of Redskins info?

• Dan Graziano - Dan Graziano
    • Jason Reid - Washington Post
    • Don Banks - Sports Illustrated
    • Mark Maske - Washington Post
    • Dan Steinberg - Washington Post
    • Peter King - Sports Illustrated
    • John Keim - Washington Post/Times (RIP)
    • Brad Gagnon - Bleacher Report
    • Gregg Rosenthal - NFL.com
    • Adam Schefter - ESPN
    • None of the listed.....then you tell us!!!!
    • Rich Campbell - Washington Times (RIP)

As of next week John Keim will be taking his talents to ESPN.  To me he is the best writer but like it was mentioned above Rich Campbell is a close second.

I also think Chris Russell does a good job on the ESPN980 blogs as well as Kevin Sheehan when he writes his thoughts down.  As far as beat reporting goes I enjoy listening to Grant Paulsen's takes.

I should also mention Rich Tandler.  He is fantastic - not a day goes by that I don't visit realredskins.com to get his latest thoughts on the team.

So you put about four local writers and then a bunch of syndicated guys?

Weak poll.

Um.....@DC9

First off....you didn't think of doing this.

Secondly. feel free to contribute and request some others be added rather BBtching and complaining.

So you put about four local writers and then a bunch of syndicated guys?

Weak poll.

Um.....@DC9

First off....you didn't think of doing this.

Secondly. feel free to contribute and request some others be added rather BBtching and complaining.

Um.... Dub70s

It's your thread.  If you title it "Best Redskins Beat (or non-Beat) Writers" I'm assuming your going to do the leg work yourself.

Just making an observation.  Out of all of the guys on there, only three of them exclusively cover the Redskins (Keim, Campbell, and Maske).  The rest are just local guys or syndicated guys that work for larger, nationally based entities.

That's all I'm saying.  It's a bit messy.

I mean, it's Keim, hands down. Though, isn't he now at ESPN?

Even if you toss in all of the beat guys, radio, TV, local, national, etc. It's Keim. And it's Keim by a mile.

The proof is that ESPN could have gone after anybody for this role, and they generally go after the best reports.  They go after the windbag former players, but when it comes to reporters, they go after the best. In general.

As of next week John Keim will be taking his talents to ESPN.  To me he is the best writer but like it was mentioned above Rich Campbell is a close second.

Rich Campbell does a good job.  But Keim is much more detailed.  Hell, he watches tape with a stopwatch. 

I also think Chris Russell does a good job on the ESPN980 blogs as well as Kevin Sheehan when he writes his thoughts down.  As far as beat reporting goes I enjoy listening to Grant Paulsen's takes.

Chris Russell used to be a good beat reporter, but now he's trying too hard to be a personality, and he's coming up with the most ****amamie ideas just to stir up discussion, and it's plain stupid talk.  I really like him.  But he's gone south in a big way, and I don't know why.

Kevin Sheehan isn't in the discussion. He's nowhere near a beat guy.  He's one of my favorite radio hosts, but he's a host, not a beat guy.

Grant Paulsen is about the only guy on 106.7 in the afternoon that isn't a complete and total bafoon. You could probably add up the IQs of the rest of the guys on the station, and it wouldn't get to his, they are THAT bad.  

I should also mention Rich Tandler.  He is fantastic - not a day goes by that I don't visit realredskins.com to get his latest thoughts on the team.

I like Tandler.  

But in the end, Tandler and Campbell are really good, and you could find people like them in just about every market.  Keim is just different.  He's so detailed, so precise, you don't find that type of reporting very often.  

btw, I like Dan Grazziano.  But he's not a beat guy either.  He's a blogger.  He offers opinion, and in general a little humor.

<<Kevin Sheehan isn't in the discussion. He's nowhere near a beat guy.  He's one of my favorite radio hosts, but he's a host, not a beat guy.>>

I know he's not Voice but the title of this thread was "best beat or non-beat" writers and I find that Sheehan is really good whenever he writes his blogs on the 980 website.  His article explaining the read-option months ago and how it is misconstrued by most football pundits was excellent.

I agree with your take on Chris Russell. Although he is really knowledgable it's true that he tries to be too much of a "personality".

I would have liked to have seen Grant Paulsen on the ballot. I voted Keim, however, I would have voted for GP as well had he been on there.

I don't understand the vitriol for 106.7. people obviously listen. They are how I was introduced to both GP and Keim. Love the Junkies as well.

Archived