Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vitriol Against Johnny Manziel Has Made Me A Fan....

RonArtest15

I have no issue with letting college athletes profit off of their name in whatever manner they can away from the university.  This Manziel situation is the perfect example.  A 3rd party wanted to pay Johnny Manziel money. This money doesn't come out of the university, doesn't effect other players on the team, doesn't take money away from the NCAA, and doesn't threaten Title IX.

Of course, the problem is that it does create a situation where a player could be recruited based on promised and/or agreed upon $'s for signing memorabilia. 

I don't think the NCAA wants to be in a position where doing that is legal/acceptable.

The odd thing about this is that the Manziel family is allegedly loaded. Johnny Football is the great-grandson of an oil baron - so why risk his college career over something so trivial (money wise for him)?

Because he thought he could get away with it???

why do players attend major schools?

This hypocrisy is always amazing to me.

Well basically for football players it is the only route to the NFL. the NCAA pretty much has a monopoly on football and they do not want anyone messing with their money. 

I have no issue with letting college athletes profit off of their name in whatever manner they can away from the university.  This Manziel situation is the perfect example.  A 3rd party wanted to pay Johnny Manziel money. This money doesn't come out of the university, doesn't effect other players on the team, doesn't take money away from the NCAA, and doesn't threaten Title IX.

Of course, the problem is that it does create a situation where a player could be recruited based on promised and/or agreed upon $'s for signing memorabilia. 

I don't think the NCAA wants to be in a position where doing that is legal/acceptable.

The odd thing about this is that the Manziel family is allegedly loaded. Johnny Football is the great-grandson of an oil baron - so why risk his college career over something so trivial (money wise for him)?

Because he thought he could get away with it???

why do players attend major schools?

This hypocrisy is always amazing to me.

Well basically for football players it is the only route to the NFL. the NCAA pretty much has a monopoly on football and they do not want anyone messing with their money. 

Unless you're Mike Sellers or Eric Swann, you hit the nail on the head.

It all comes down to what the NCAA does. If he's banned for the season and has to sit out of football for a year I think his NFL stock drops significantly and he's a late round pick or entirely undrafted. He'd also have to survive a year as a object of ridicule and not self destruct. That means a payday is a long way off if it ever happens.

If the NCAA slaps him on the wrist and he has another big year, skies the limit. It all comes down to how scouts see his skills translating and him staying out of trouble. The NFL wont care about autographs as much as they will about his arrest and drinking problem.

The NFL won't even really care that much about that. His size and arm strength will be his biggest issues. He doesn't have a typical NFL body.

He has anger problems and he has had everything handed to him in his life. Unless he grows up and gets maybe some help in anger management he will go to the NFL and end up like Ryan Leaf

If he did take money he may have done it to get caught and get kicked out of college football. He has made it clear he is not happy in college and if he needed rims for his ride all he had to do  was ask his rich daddy. His dad bought him a Mercedes so getting him some rims would have been no problem. In the interview with his dad he said he gives him stuff because he is afraid what he may do to get what he wants..............like selling autographs

Its like he thinks, I am 'Johnny F***ing football' and I can do what ever i want. One thing I do like about him is he wants to sign
autographs for fans even without getting paid. Apparently Tiger woods did not give him a autograph when he was younger and he does not want to be like him

on a side note, people seeking autographs should not even ask when a celebrity is out with his family or date etc. get it at the stadium or a place of business, let them have some sort of a personal family life.

I don't know what this kid has done wrong.  Haven't followed the story at all.  Seems like a bunch of nonsense.

He's alleged to have signed a lot of memobilia for a lot of $'s while in Miami during the week of the BCS game.

The idea that the universities are taking advantage of these kids is correct..but so what? That's the agrement they made in order to get free room and board, free tuition, free food and books, free tutoring, free trim, and really the only chance to take their skills on to the next professional level.

Maybe it is a faustian bargain, but it's one that I'm sure everyone would make (over and over)  if given the chance.

Oh yeah, I knew about that.  That isn't good.  I sort of was referring to all the headlines Manziel was getting before the autograph stuff.  Seemed like typical college kid stuff that he was getting criticized for.  Whatever....I'm sure he could clean his act up a little.

I don't think he is talented enough to act like such a fool. I keep seeing Ryan Leaf comparisons, but he's nowhere near Leaf's level (talent wise). I don't think he's a lock to play on Sunday's, even if he cleans up his act.

Ya, dudes not a 1st round talent. Not even close.

I don't think he is talented enough to act like such a fool. I keep seeing Ryan Leaf comparisons, but he's nowhere near Leaf's level (talent wise). I don't think he's a lock to play on Sunday's, even if he cleans up his act.

Ya, dudes not a 1st round talent. Not even close.

A lot of mocks have him in the 1st...even saw WF had him going #4.  Despite what you all may think of him, he IS a 1st round talent.  With the success of guys like Wilson, RG3, etc., some team will take a risk on Manziel in the 1st with the hopes he can run the read option in their offense. 

*Did any of you guys see this? 

While the NCAA investigates Johnny Manziel

for allegedly receiving payment for signing autographs, ESPN college

basketball analyst Jay Bilas did a bit of searching of his own. The

former Duke basketball star visited ShopNCAASports.com

on Tuesday and discovered just how easy it is to drive sales using

famous names like the one that Manziel may be in trouble for inscribing.

Bilas also discovered how easy it is to embarrass the NCAA.

Link

Hypocrisy at it's finest....

ESPN is doing its best to paint him as the anti-Tebow because it generates them a lot of money. Its all a lot of hypocrisy and hype over nothing. He's doing what he wants, which is his perogative. When i was his age i did most of the same stuff, so i have a tough time condemning him. The NCAA isnt going to take away his eligibility, he makes them too much money. The fact that they can sell his jersey and his likeness, but he cant sell his own autograph is ridiculous, it should be criminal.

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220

This whole family has been a bunch of scofflaws since they came to this country.  Some of this reads like source material for There Will Be Blood.

Well that was a fascinating read. Doesn't reflect directly on Johnny Football, but it paints a... shall we say... colorful picture of his family history.

Archived