Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vitriol Against Johnny Manziel Has Made Me A Fan....

RonArtest15

Manziel-drama continues.

@BFeldmanCBS 5:25 PM

ESPN reports Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel is under NCAA investigation for profiting from autographs.

He's from a rich family, it makes no sense that he would charge for autographs. Story here http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs

Apparently people are saying he got paid five figures for signing over a hundred items for an autograph broker.

You know what, I just thought of that. He is rich, so why does he need even more money? 

That being said, ridiculous how the university and big time companies can profit off his name, but he doesn't see a dime of that. He's the one on the field. 

You know what, I just thought of that. He is rich, so why does he need even more money?

That being said, ridiculous how the university and big time companies can profit off his name, but he doesn't see a dime of that. He's the one on the field.

I agree. The NCAA can make its "free tuition" argument all it wants but forcing players to sign over the rights to their own names is ridiculous.

Imagine how stupid we all would look is ESPN were covering our every move in college.

Manziel is fine.  He's 20. And a college student.  Lighten up on him.

Speak for yourself. I was there to learn. I avoided living on campus to get away from "campus life."

I agree. The NCAA can make its "free tuition" argument all it wants but forcing players to sign over the rights to their own names is ridiculous.

How do universities force athletes to sign autographs?

How do universities force athletes to sign autographs?

Universties sell jerseys and other things with a specific players name and number on them (and force OTHERS that sell these items to pay the universitiy and the NCAA royalties for the right to sell these items)... in normal circumstances an individual would get royalties in this situation, but students are barred from being able to do so by NCAA rules.

So, if you buy a Johny M. Jersey, or bobble head or whatever... his school gets paid royalties, and the NCAA gets paid royalities, but the individual whose likeness is actually being sold is "protectected" by NCAA rules from collecting any sort of payment for the use of his likeness.

I don't know what this kid has done wrong.  Haven't followed the story at all.  Seems like a bunch of nonsense.

He's alleged to have signed a lot of memobilia for a lot of $'s while in Miami during the week of the BCS game.

The idea that the universities are taking advantage of these kids is correct..but so what? That's the agrement they made in order to get free room and board, free tuition, free food and books, free tutoring, free trim, and really the only chance to take their skills on to the next professional level.

Maybe it is a faustian bargain, but it's one that I'm sure everyone would make (over and over)  if given the chance.

Poor Johnny.

A high school legend in the high school football crazed state of Texas who can't seem to stay out of the spotlight at a major SEC university because he keeps getting publically drunk and parking his $50k Mercedes in the wrong direction on streets.

Someday we will see the inspiring true story of a sociopaths journey to overcome the media hate on Lifetime. Spoiled, entitled, jock with the emotional intelligence of a 3 year old gets even more than everything in this heroic inspirational journey, Sunday at 8

It's like Brian's Song...except there's no cancer...and no Gayle Sayers...and Brian Piccolo is an emotionally stunted man-child from Texas. 

Imagine how stupid we all would look is ESPN were covering our every move in college.

Manziel is fine.  He's 20. And a college student.  Lighten up on him.

Speak for yourself. I was there to learn. I avoided living on campus to get away from "campus life."

Same here. The whole frat boy nonsense is something I stayed far, far away from. The craziest things ever got for me in college was going to the local pub on Saturday night with some of my art student buddies. 

I have no issue with letting college athletes profit off of their name in whatever manner they can away from the university.  This Manziel situation is the perfect example.  A 3rd party wanted to pay Johnny Manziel money. This money doesn't come out of the university, doesn't effect other players on the team, doesn't take money away from the NCAA, and doesn't threaten Title IX.

I have no issue with letting college athletes profit off of their name in whatever manner they can away from the university.  This Manziel situation is the perfect example.  A 3rd party wanted to pay Johnny Manziel money. This money doesn't come out of the university, doesn't effect other players on the team, doesn't take money away from the NCAA, and doesn't threaten Title IX.

Of course, the problem is that it does create a situation where a player could be recruited based on promised and/or agreed upon $'s for signing memorabilia. 

I don't think the NCAA wants to be in a position where doing that is legal/acceptable.

The odd thing about this is that the Manziel family is allegedly loaded. Johnny Football is the great-grandson of an oil baron - so why risk his college career over something so trivial (money wise for him)?

Because he thought he could get away with it???

I guess he wanted new rims.

Seriously, what a douche.

Broker says Manziel paid $7,500

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9544137/broker-says-johnny-manziel-took-7500-autographing-helmets

At one point, ESPN heard a broker ask Manziel if he would take additional cash to sign with special inscriptions, but Manziel declined, indicating he had done that before and it led to questions. The video does not show Manziel accepting cash, which the broker alleges happened three times. The broker told ESPN Manziel said he wanted money for new rims for his vehicle.

@schadjoe 2:49 PM

Johnny Manziel is heard being asked if he would take extra cash for special inscriptions, but Manziel says it would lead to questions

@schadjoe 2:47 PM

On video, which was shopped but not purchased, Johnny Manziel is heard saying "you never did a signing with me" and not to tell anyone.

He gone

The irony is I said "Until he does something to get arrested, then leave him alone", then he does this ****. I can't defend him anymore. All the other stuff he did, that was just a kid being a kid. This is deliberate knowledge of NCAA rules. He knew what he was doing. 

I wonder if Manziel has an addiction issue that's either different or worse than we've heard about.  He's got a rich family but he's taking a huge risk to get some extra cash?  That's the kind of thing addicts are known to do.  

It's clear from all the comments he has made; he wants to get paid for playing football and doesn't want to bother with college.

If his college career ends; he'll have to play in the CFL for year before being eligible to be drafted???  Someone can clearify that, since I thought he is only a softmore this year.

What it does show is that he puts his interests above anything else.  True, everyone wants to get paid in the NFL and will hold out if needed to get that contract.  If these things are true and it leads to the end of his college career; why would you trust him?

If he actually gets on a NFL roster and earns that payday; how longer before he does something to piss that away. 

QB is the most important position and the thing I would want to do is entrust my franchise to him.

It all comes down to what the NCAA does. If he's banned for the season and has to sit out of football for a year I think his NFL stock drops significantly and he's a late round pick or entirely undrafted. He'd also have to survive a year as a object of ridicule and not self destruct. That means a payday is a long way off if it ever happens.

If the NCAA slaps him on the wrist and he has another big year, skies the limit. It all comes down to how scouts see his skills translating and him staying out of trouble. The NFL wont care about autographs as much as they will about his arrest and drinking problem.

Of course, the problem is that it does create a situation where a player could be recruited based on promised and/or agreed upon $'s for signing memorabilia. 

I don't think the NCAA wants to be in a position where doing that is legal/acceptable.

The odd thing about this is that the Manziel family is allegedly loaded. Johnny Football is the great-grandson of an oil baron - so why risk his college career over something so trivial (money wise for him)?

Because he thought he could get away with it???

why do players attend major schools?

This hypocrisy is always amazing to me.

They could go with the Olympic model and just get out of the business of telling players how they can make money. If boosters give kids cash under the guide of sponsorship, who cares? Especially in NCAA football where small teams get shunned based on "strength of schedule" just to add an extra obstacle between small programs and the championship game.

Archived