Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA To NYC In Under An Hour, Hyperloop System Will Let You Travel At 4,000 MPH

The Evil Genius

speaking of kneejerk, are you aware of the crash safety recall Telsa is looking at?

This one?

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/partial-recall

Sure, you're a reliable narrator.   :rolleyes:

By the way -- I used to work for National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Office of Defect Investigation.  In light of an issue of that type, any other automaker would have denied, bullied, whined, ****ed, finger-pointed, and fought tooth and nail to stonewall, dodge, downplay, lobby, and litigate their way out of paying dollar one to address something like this.  At best, after months or years of kicking and screaming they would have issued a TSB to dealerships, sticking customers with the bill if they wanted their cars looked at and the issue fixed.  Hiding behind the "nothing bad has happened yet" statistical argument works very well, when automakers employ armies of lawyers and congressional lobbyist whiners-for-hire specifically to avoid the inconvenience of recalling cars with legitimate safety problems.

What kinds of safety related recalls might we anticipate for your preferred hydrogen vehicles?  Hmm, let's think about that technology and consider it for a moment. 

that was my point mjah..that is a kneejerk example

now the $40k batteries bricking on the other hand...

Hey look, another piece of FUD from twa.  

At least you're consistent, so people know to ignore it.  

(Except me, apparently.)

you obviously have a lot of company from all the whining.

but consider yourself special if it helps

The difference between your whining and mine is that mine pertains to problems which exist and are substantive.  Of course I'm assuming quite a bit of you to call you that.  Smooch.   :wub:

Your Boss Hogg is good though:

"Now see here Jesse - I ain't tryin' to scare ya with boogie men.  I'm just pointin' out all the things you might be scared of, if you were of a mind to be scared, see.  [Hogg squint]  So you can think on 'em reeeeal good and long now, and make sure you ain't afraid of any of them things after all."

Tesla Motors... someday the mountain might get 'em but the law never will.  (Despite certain states' best efforts)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-08-12/revealed-elon-musk-explains-the-hyperloop

Revealed: Elon Musk Explains the Hyperloop

By Ashlee VanceAugust 12, 2013 

Almost a year after Elon Musk, chief executive of Tesla Motors (TSLA) and SpaceX, first floated the idea of a superfast mode of transportation, he has finally revealed the details: a solar-powered, city-to-city elevated transit system that could take passengers and cars from Los Angeles to San Francisco in 30 minutes. In typical Musk fashion, the Hyperloop, as he calls it, immediately poses a challenge to the status quo—in this case, California’s $70 billion high-speed train that has been knocked by Musk and others as too expensive, too slow, and too impractical.

In Musk’s vision, the Hyperloop would transport people via aluminum pods enclosed inside of steel tubes. He describes the design as looking like a shotgun with the tubes running side by side for most of the journey and closing the loop at either end. These tubes would be mounted on columns 50 to 100 yards apart, and the pods inside would travel up to 800 miles per hour. Some of this Musk has hinted at before; he now adds that pods could ferry cars as well as people. “You just drive on, and the pod departs,” Musk told Bloomberg Businessweek in his first interview about the Hyperloop.

Musk published a blog post detailing the Hyperloop on Monday. He will hold a press call later in the day to go over the details.

MORE AFTER LINK

Looking forward to reading through the more technical portions of Musk's details.  Sadly, work is crushing for the next 9 weeks.  Gonna take a while to get through it.

But one thing even a perfect technology never solves... Politics.

Looking forward to reading through the more technical portions of Musk's details.  Sadly, work is crushing for the next 9 weeks.  Gonna take a while to get through it.

The potential for terrorism also leaps to mind with a project like this.  How do you guard a three thousand mile tube, every inch of which must be completely sealed at all times?

The potential for terrorism also leaps to mind with a project like this.  How do you guard a three thousand mile tube, every inch of which must be completely sealed at all times?

The system Musk proposed today isn't an evacuated tube, in fact its using the air to propel the cars, which will travel at near the speed of sound (~750 mph).   And its not 3k miles, that would be the NYC to LA route.  This is an SF to LA route (350 mile).  Musk was actually pessimistic about a transcontinental route, especially one that had an evacuated tube and was planned to go at 4000 mph.

As for guarding the tube, I don't think its any harder than guarding a rail.   In fact it might be easier, given you have the ability for intrusion detection that you don't have with rail.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.sfgate.com/business/article/Simulation-suggests-Musk-s-Hyperloop-quite-4825693.php

Simulation suggests Musk's Hyperloop 'quite viable'

Ashlee Vance Published 4:02 pm, Wednesday, September 18, 2013

When billionaire Elon Musk unveiled the Hyperloop in August, his critics were quick to scoff at his proposal for a new, super fast mode of transportation. A number of people derided Musk's white paper as cartoonish and vague. Musk, founder and CEO of Tesla, vowed to prove the naysayers wrong by building an actual physical prototype, but that's not expected to arrive for years.

Meanwhile, some evidence has just appeared that shows Musk may indeed be onto something.

Ansys, the maker of very high-end simulation software used to design planes, trains, automobiles and all manner of other things, has fed the Hyperloop specifications into a computer and come away impressed.

"I don't immediately see any red flags," says Sandeep Sovani, the director of land transportation strategy at Ansys. "I think it is quite viable."

MORE AFTER LINK

As we discussed already in this thread, a lot of the scoffing was at the claim of speeds of 4000 mph in the first article; other articles claim a maximum of 800mph which is a very, very different proposition regarding engineering, complexity and cost.

I can imagine.  Seems like accelerating to 4,000 MPH would take most of the trip from LA to NY just to ensure people don't get injured from G forces.

But if we did have the ability to affordably travel over land at 4,000 MPH, it would change our entire civilization.  You could open up the most remote regions on Earth for settlement.  I think the city as a structure for social organization would basically cease.

Tenacious D anticipated this technology.

I can imagine.  Seems like accelerating to 4,000 MPH would take most of the trip from LA to NY just to ensure people don't get injured from G forces.

But if we did have the ability to affordably travel over land at 4,000 MPH, it would change our entire civilization.  You could open up the most remote regions on Earth for settlement.  I think the city as a structure for social organization would basically cease.

Tenacious D anticipated this technology.

Wouldn't the opposite happen?  Everyone would live in mega cities and goods from all over the globe would be brought there for consumption at an even faster rate then today?

The hyper express train would only stop in NY and LA. It's not worth the time and energy cost to stop to let Bubba off the train in Bum**** Oklahoma.

I hate to be negative, but it'll never happen. Not without a freaking HUGE company getting behind it. The car companies would freak over something like this. So would the real estate market, as they would no longer have expensive places to sell within the city.

I just want a modernized mass transportation rail here in the DMV.

The hyper express train would only stop in NY and LA. It's not worth the time and energy cost to stop to let Bubba off the train in Bum**** Oklahoma.

At first.  But the potential of the technology seems enormous.  Especially that part about building the tube being cheaper than building a comparable span of road.  

What happens if the technology becomes sufficiently advanced and the economy mobilizes to make it available and affordable on a massive scale like it did for paved roads and automobiles?  I-95 runs through  Bum**** VA.  You'd fundamentally change the way people could get about and then you'd eliminate obstacles that come from the great distances between human settlements.

Wouldn't the opposite happen?  Everyone would live in mega cities and goods from all over the globe would be brought there for consumption at an even faster rate then today?

People want space.  If there are all these lines leading into these megacities that people use to ship goods into the city, people would start settling at points away from the city near the line.  Like living in the suburbs, only the reach of the suburb could be 2,000 miles.

If the ability to travel up to 4,000 miles over land became the norm, then I think human population density would dramatically decrease.  You could settle the most remote hinterlands of Russia or Canada or Australia or Amazonia with access to travel at that kind of speed--places that humanity has never been able to settle with density.  But it would require the technology to become very widespread like the automobile has.

• 1 month later...

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/31/company-plans-to-turn-hyperloop-dream-into-reality/

It sounds insane: Take an enormous hamster tube, suck most of the air from it, insert a hovercraft full of humans and accelerate it to 800 miles per hour.

But according to Patricia Galloway, that wild concept is no dream -- it’s very much real.

“The feasibility is done. What we’re working on now is moving toward conceptual design,” Galloway told FoxNews.com. Thursday morning Hyperloop Transportation Technologies Inc.external-link.png, a new company Galloway is spearheading, came out of stealth mode to reveal if not a concrete prototype of the futuristic form of transport, at least an outline of what it will take to get there.

Seems more and more people are getting on board with this. 

Archived