Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Jason Kidd announces Giannis Antetokounmpo will be the Bucks starting point guard next season.

That is a good idea, provided that the Bucks run a motion offense where the point guard is not ball dominant.   He can't be a Chris Paul type, but you probably can run a very effective offense through him similar to the way Miami ran it through LeBron.   The Greek Freak used to be a point guard before he grew 11 inches taller.  

Of course he isn't going to be expected to guard Isaiah Thomas.    

Edited by Predicto

LeBron was never Miami's point guard.  He was one of their primary ball handlers but not their PG.  And Giannis is nowhere close to as good as LeBron.  Especially not Prime LeBron.  If Kidd is seriously going to start Giannis at PG, he's crazy and the experiment will last until they make a panic trade or signing to bring in a real PG.  There is a world of difference between being effective at catching and straight line driving from the perimeter and finishing plus running fast breaks plus running drive and dish and actually playing point guard.

PG is the hardest position on offense by far.  He doesn't have the shooting or ball handling ability to do it and he's got zero chance of guarding the position PLUS it'll take Giannis out of the painted area where his height and length and finishing ability are most useful.  First game he tried having Giannis run point I would full court pressure him.  He would struggle to bring the ball up court.  In the half court I would just double/trap him.  And if not that, tThen I would pack the paint, go under all of his ball screens, and play the passing lanes.  Their offense would grind to a halt, he'd turn it over like crazy, and it would kill his confidence.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

PG is the hardest position if you give it the traditional Chris Paul/Rajon Rondo type ball-dominant responsibilities.   Of course Giannis can't do that.  And of course he isn't going to guard the opposing PG.  

Look, Steph Curry is a point guard, but half the time someone else brings up the ball for the Warriors and if you press and double Curry, he gives it up and plays off ball.  Curry probably could lead the league in assists if he dominated the ball like Rondo does, but they don't use him that way.  Hell, the great Chicago teams of the 1990s didn't even have a point guard.   John Paxson and Steve Kerr were point guards in name only.  They would get 3 or 4 assists per game.  

It depends on how Kidd structures the rest of the team.  Will there be other ballhandlers, and will there be enough shooters to keep defenses honest so they can't just trap all the time?  If so, it can work.  

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15095276/dangelo-russell-center-los-angeles-lakers-rift-video-took-nick-young-made-public

Sources told ESPN.com that some teammates' trust in Russell is eroding after a video surfaced in the past week that shows Russell recording a private conversation between himself and teammate Nick Young. Young does not appear to realize he is being taped.

The emergence of the video, sources said, has been the talk of the locker room for the past several days and has led to a tangible strain between Russell and some teammates.

At a recent breakfast meeting, one source said, no Laker would sit with Russell at his table. The source added that, in another instance, Russell came into the locker room and sat next to guard Lou Williams, who got up and walked away.

"It's bad," one team source told ESPN.com's Ramona Shelburne. "It's about as bad as it can get. There were trust issues already. Now there's no trust."

So Russel secretly record a team mate, Nick Young, while asking him all sorts of personal questions and then posted it online. Why? What is the possible upside to doing something like that?

WORLDSTAR!!!!

Seriously potentially the most childish thing I've ever heard of a professional athlete doing.

Uh yea...that LAL locker room is gonna be interesting from now until the end of the year.  Gotta feeling Kobe looking at all this like he was Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon "I'm too old for this...." 

Not sure what Russell was thinking.  My only guess is that in this age of social media and his generation having no 2nd thoughts about putting EVERYTHING out there, he didn't think twice about the ramifications of what he was doing. 

Not even gonna get mad at Nick Young even though he made his own bed...this was a supposedly candid conversation between friends/teammates.  Nick Young probably never thought he was boys with Billy Costigan from The Departed.  SMH. 

Pretty sure that was when they were both sniping at each other.

What Russell did, plus videotaping it, being a rookie, was just messed in the head.

Honestly, if they fought in the locker room I wouldn't break it up. I might help stomp out Russell.

I don't like it when dudes cheat, though the dislike goes down a little when you aren't actually married (yet)... But I'd never air a dudes dirty laundry, or snitch to his girl, even if I was looking for revenge.Thats a sacred man law

Something is wrong with this kid.

Edited by Mr. Sinister

It depends on how Kidd structures the rest of the team.  Will there be other ballhandlers, and will there be enough shooters to keep defenses honest so they can't just trap all the time?  If so, it can work.

You're talking about going to great lengths just to make playing Giannis out of his natural position of SF/PF workable. Doesn't make sense to do this. Just keep him at forward and run some plays through him occasionally. He doesn't need to run point and bring the ball up court. I can't overstate how good the ball handling skills are for real NBA PGs, or how difficult it is to get the ball up court against NBA caliber pressure. And that's just the basic head up ball handling duties of the position covered, actually running an offense from half court is a different animal.

You're talking about going to great lengths just to make playing Giannis out of his natural position of SF/PF workable. Doesn't make sense to do this. Just keep him at forward and run some plays through him occasionally. He doesn't need to run point and bring the ball up court. I can't overstate how good the ball handling skills are for real NBA PGs, or how difficult it is to get the ball up court against NBA caliber pressure. And that's just the basic head up ball handling duties of the position covered, actually running an offense from half court is a different animal.

I largely agree, but I'm also glad Kidd is doing it. Its intriguing as hell, and I'm done saying what the Greek Freak can't do.

Are you sure Giannis couldn't guard an opposing point guard? He's frighteningly fast for his size.

There is a difference between being fast for 6'11 and being PG fast. NBA PGs are waterbugs. Wall is easily one of the fastest players in the league as well as one of the better defenders at the position, and opposing PGs routinely get by him with explosive moves. Isiah Thomas would probably run between Giannis's legs.

• Like 1