Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

He's also 2/3 years younger than those guys.  He'll get there. 

IMO, he'll be the unquestioned best player in the league by the time he's 25. 

He might get there, he might just get pretty good at defense.   I'm not sure that everyone is wired to be a great defender.  

Even if he only gets above average at defense, you are right.  He will be the unquestioned best player in the league as soon as LeBron stops being able to Lebron at a high level.    

damn shame 8pts & 8rebs can get you 80 million in the league

This is an NFL style free agent bonanza.  Except these are fully guaranteed contracts instead of one year unless you don't get injured or suck deals.  Crazy money slinging around.  This was supposed to be a discount summer with major market inefficiencies just ahead of the massive cap bump.  But teams are already spending their 2016 and 2017 money.

It feels like bubble spending.  I'm not really sure what makes the NBA 50% more valuable next year than it was last year.  Why are the TV Rights suddenly worth so much more than they were before?  Has anyone really asked that question?

At this rate, NBA players are about to become the highest paid athletes in pro sports by far.  Franchises are selling for twice their valuation from the previous several years.  The NBA is riding a bubble.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

This is an NFL style free agent bonanza. Except these are fully guaranteed contracts instead of one year unless you don't get injured or suck deals. Crazy money slinging around. This was supposed to be a discount summer with major market inefficiencies just ahead of the massive cap bump. But teams are already spending their 2016 and 2017 money.

It feels like bubble spending. I'm not really sure what makes the NBA 50% more valuable next year than it was last year. Why are the TV Rights suddenly worth so much more than they were before? Has anyone really asked that question?

At this rate, NBA players are about to become the highest paid athletes in pro sports by far. Franchises are selling for twice their valuation from the previous several years. The NBA is riding a bubble.

It's not 50% vs last year, it's 50% vs when the last tv deal was signed (2002?)

Also, Cleveland is the team to beat next year.  Still a lot of free agency dust to settle, especially for Toronto, Indy, Atlanta, and Chicago.  But this is my extremely early prediction for the East:

1.) Cleveland - 60 wins

2.) Washington - Mid 50s wins

3.) Atlanta - Mid 50s

4.) Chicago - Mid to upper 40s

5.) Milwaukee - Mid 40s

6.) Toronto - Low 40s

7.) Miami - Low 40s

8.) Indy - Upper 30s

Rd 1

Cleveland over Indy in four

Washington over Miami in five

Atlanta over Toronto in six

Chicago over Milwaukee in seven

Rd 2

Cleveland over Chicago in four

Washington over Atlanta in four

ECF

Cleveland over Washington in six

It's not 50% vs last year, it's 50% vs when the last tv deal was signed (2002?)

Previous deal was signed in 2007, which was only a 21% increase in the deal before that one.  I was way off with the 50% number.  This deal is actually a 180% increase from the previous deal.

This is an NFL style free agent bonanza.  Except these are fully guaranteed contracts instead of one year unless you don't get injured or suck deals.  Crazy money slinging around.  This was supposed to be a discount summer with major market inefficiencies just ahead of the massive cap bump.  But teams are already spending their 2016 and 2017 money.

It feels like bubble spending.  I'm not really sure what makes the NBA 50% more valuable next year than it was last year.  Why are the TV Rights suddenly worth so much more than they were before?  Has anyone really asked that question?

At this rate, NBA players are about to become the highest paid athletes in pro sports by far.  Franchises are selling for twice their valuation from the previous several years.  The NBA is riding a bubble.

and the owners will still claim poverty during the next round of negotiations 

LaMarcus Aldridge will not be joining the Lakers, The Times has learned. They were a 50-50 choice but he disliked bball part of presentation

More LMA: He and Kobe didn't quite gel. It's a little vague, but Aldridge apparently didn't quite get answers from Kobe he was seeking.

Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation. Not so with the Lakers.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Also, Cleveland is the team to beat next year.  Still a lot of free agency dust to settle, especially for Toronto, Indy, Atlanta, and Chicago.  But this is my extremely early prediction for the East:

1.) Cleveland - 60 wins

2.) Washington - Mid 50s wins

3.) Atlanta - Mid 50s

4.) Chicago - Mid to upper 40s

5.) Milwaukee - Mid 40s

6.) Toronto - Low 40s

7.) Miami - Low 40s

8.) Indy - Upper 30s

Rd 1

Cleveland over Indy in four

Washington over Miami in five

Atlanta over Toronto in six

Chicago over Milwaukee in seven

Rd 2

Cleveland over Chicago in four

Washington over Atlanta in four

ECF

Cleveland over Washington in six

I expect Cleveland to win 65 or more.

I expect Atlanta to drop down to 50 or even less, behind Chicago and Washington.   Milwaukee could be very good.  Indy should improve to over .500.   

Aldridge was floored in a good way by Houston's analytics, on-court projections in their presentation.

What the?  Houston is all about threes and dunks.  Aldridge is the ultimate mid-range player.   He doesn't fit in that system at all.

Edited by Predicto

and the owners will still claim poverty during the next round of negotiations 

and many of them won't be lying.  Selling prices skyrocketing doesn't mean every team in the NBA is making money.  It doesn't mean that most teams in the NBA are operating very far into the black.  This idea that the Clippers selling for a small country and a dozen virgins means that every team is secretly flush with cash is one of the reasons why we are sure to see a lock out. 

2.6 billion per year vs. .76 billion per year in 2007.

52 million Chinese and being the #1 sports over there probably factors in a lot.

That must be it.  Otherwise, I can't really fathom the basis for so much growth.  Still... there aren't any teams in China or even players from China in the NBA right now... The league's connection to China feels pretty intangible.

I don't know, the growth feels like a bubble.  And the players are pissed off and gearing up for a fight in the next CBA negotiations.  I'm afraid that the bubble is going to burst and the league is going to be in trouble when player's have taken back 57% of the revenue.

It IS a bubble.  So what?  Either the billionaire owners get the money or the rich players do.  The fight is just about where to split it.  

If it bursts and Steve Ballmer loses a couple hundred million, I don't really care.   They can clean it up in the next CBA after that.

• Like 1

It IS a bubble.  So what?  Either the billionaire owners get the money or the rich players do.  The fight is just about where to split it.  

If it bursts and Steve Ballmer loses a couple hundred million, I don't really care.   They can clean it up in the next CBA after that.

A collapse and massive devaluation of franchises would be totally disruptive to the league.  A lock out would be a certainty.  Complete chaos in the free agent market.  Teams deconstructing expensive, winning rosters to cut costs.

I don't want the league to go into a depression the moment the Wizards finally get good.

I don't like the Chandler signing for Phoenix. The money is fine, maybe even a bargain compared to what other guys are making. But it's a signal they're giving up on Len. That franchise lacks an identity and coherent vision for the rebuild. They ****ed up their PG situation so bad last season, and they're doing it again at center now.

Beat guys & Woj all saying the Suns really impressed LMA and the Spurs aren't a lock anymore.

He should NOT be considering Phoenix over San Antonio. Their owner sucks and their FO is a mess. The coach is good, but that's all they have going for them. He'd be better off staying in Portland.

Dan Gilbert thought the new CBA in 2011 would devastate smaller revenue teams (which Cavs were at time). Today: $230M in new contracts.

Suns believed before meeting Aldridge they had a shot. They were right. Chandler surprise big. Phoenix was "very impressive," per source.

I don't like the Chandler signing for Phoenix. The money is fine, maybe even a bargain compared to what other guys are making. But it's a signal they're giving up on Len. That franchise lacks an identity and coherent vision for the rebuild. .

Not necessarily.

Tyson only averaged 30mins per game last season and you have to think at the age of 33 that will come down a bit.

Still plenty of time for Len.

DeMarre Carroll's contract is nonsense.

Yep. I agree....but it's looking like this will be the norm in the future.

I just love the fact that Philly just traded for Power Forwards Jason Thompson and Carl Landry. Worst run organization in sports? It has to be up there. They basically did it to get to the salary cap floor.