Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

See, I think Philly is totally screwed. All that for the #3 pick. And they are going to be fielding the equivalent of a college team next year. No NBA team can develop 10 young players at once, but Philly is going to have to do so.

It's going to be rough next year...but when that trio gels, they will be VERY good. 

• Like 1

Did OKC develope Durant, Westbrook and Harden? Philly is going to be really good in a couple of years.

Do you have any guys that have that type of skill?

They can be like Bucks this season but "really good" ? Not at the moment

They need to add a vet or two for that. Maybe an OJ Mayo type and every rookie reaching their potential as quickly as possible

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

See, I think Philly is totally screwed. All that for the #3 pick. And they are going to be fielding the equivalent of a college team next year. No NBA team can develop 10 young players at once, but Philly is going to have to do so.

I haven't seen their contract situation, couldn't they just surround their best two or three young players with vets and spend the next three years turning them into good nba players? It's usually not that difficult to find a bunch of role players that can teach young guys how to be professional, survive the grind, and extend their careers.

They just have to make the decision to get older and focus on winning games again, even if that win total is depressingly low initially. Not terribly exciting or glamorous but unavoidable. Can't keep tanking forever.

If I'm the Lakers, I realize that I'm the Lakers and I just grab the most attractive assets I can get. I'm not worried about competing next year. I'm setting myself up for the moment the next disgruntled superstar says, "Get me out of here" and I can offer SOMETHING to the team that has to move him. That's been their MO for 50 years.

Part of their issue is that Miami basically stole their template and now does it better, because of Riley. Both those teams know that every five years or so, a superduperstar gets pissed off and wants to be traded, and they will always be the most attractive destinations.

New York has never figured out that they AREN'T on that list.

(Fredo Buss is not Dr. Buss so that hurts. As does the rise of Miami. As does the fact that if you want to go to LA and be famous, the Clippers can now make you famous. Blake and CP3 have more commercials than anyone else not named Lebron right now. You can get the LA experience with the Clippers suddenly).

They've had incredible FA/Trade luck with bigs like Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, and Pau Gasol.  Not so much recently, considering how bad the Dwight Howard situation turned out.  Regardless, that's only four players in a span of about 50 years.

Mostly the Lakers built all of their major championship contending dynasties around their high draft picks.  They have the remarkable luck of only picking high in years when a franchise player is available to them.  No Kwame Browns or Michael Olowokondis for them.  Just Elgin Baylors, Jerry Wests, James Worthys, and Magic Johnsons.  In fact, I'm not sure there has been a time when the Lakers picked top three and didn't end up with a Hall of Famer.

Actually I just looked it up, there have been three times that's happened for them:

1975: Dave Meyers, picked second overall, immediately traded to Milwaukee as part of the deal for Kareem

1959: Tom Hawkins, picked third overall

1957: Jimmy Krebs, picked third overall

I expect them to draft Okafor and have him turn into a franchise center.

Who's scoring for the Sixers consistently? Tony Wroten?

Offense is going to have to be built around Embiid and Mudiay/Russell.  It'll be awful in the short term but that's a solid foundation for an offense three years from now.

They're not screwed if Embiid turns out to be Hakeem Olajuwon and not Eddy Curry.  They have to stick this year's pick.  There is a good chance of that, I think both Russell and Mudiay have All Star upside.  And they need to figure out a way to make a Noel/Embiid front court work, because on paper it's a spacing disaster.

And they are going to lose a TON of games in the next few years.  And get Brett Brown fired.  And possibly Sam Hinkie too.  And their fans are eventually going to get restless and start wondering if Embiid is ever going to reach his potential and they'll start proposing preposterous trades on message boards like, I don't know, John Wall for Kyle Lowry.  And some of their high draft picks will completely flame out.  And then they'll have to start making unbalanced trades and eating the unpalatable contracts of shaky vets because they need their leadership and professionalism to surround the young picks (and because they won't be able to sign any free agents that are worth a damn for a while).

But in five years, if they come out of all that losing and turnover with Embiid a franchise player and this next draft pick a legit secondary star (plus maybe another high draft pick that ends up being a high quality role player and glue man), then they'll be a contender.  It's the messiest and most difficult way to build a contender.  But the Warriors and Thunder did it.  The Wizards are almost there.  It can be done if you get the right guys in the draft.

They're not screwed if Embiid turns out to be Hakeem Olajuwon and not Eddy Curry.  They have to stick this year's pick.  There is a good chance of that, I think both Russell and Mudiay have All Star upside.  And they need to figure out a way to make a Noel/Embiid front court work, because on paper it's a spacing disaster.

And they are going to lose a TON of games in the next few years.  And get Brett Brown fired.  And possibly Sam Hinkie too.  And their fans are eventually going to get restless and start wondering if Embiid is ever going to reach his potential and they'll start proposing preposterous trades on message boards like, I don't know, John Wall for Kyle Lowry.  And some of their high draft picks will completely flame out.  And then they'll have to start making unbalanced trades and eating the unpalatable contracts of shaky vets because they need their leadership and professionalism to surround the young picks (and because they won't be able to sign any free agents that are worth a damn for a while).

But in five years, if they come out of all that losing and turnover with Embiid a franchise player and this next draft pick a legit secondary star (plus maybe another high draft pick that ends up being a high quality role player and glue man), then they'll be a contender.  It's the messiest and most difficult way to build a contender.  But the Warriors and Thunder did it.  The Wizards are almost there.  It can be done if you get the right guys in the draft.

I get that, but you can do the same thing just being kind of bad, "not intentionally and historically bad while selling your fans on the idea that there is a plan in place."

You need to go to the game on Thursday sir.

Nothing like going to those type of games.

The atmosphere is incredible.

I wish I could.   I was at the Oracle for one of the "We Believe" playoff games in 2007.  It was incredible.  

I wish I could.   I was at the Oracle for one of the "We Believe" playoff games in 2007.  It was incredible.  

Even the game in Tampa when the Redskins lost to them is was amazing to see.

Make it happen sir, you only live once.

Looks like Doc River's campaign for DeAndre Jordan paid off.   No way should he have been first team.  It should have been Gobert or maybe Bogut.  

And absolutely no way should Anthony Davis have gotten any votes at all.  He gets blocks but he is not a good defender overall.   Not yet.   And Michael Kidd-Gilchrist probably should have had more votes.  

And who the heck votes for Steph Curry or James Harden lol.  They were both good defenders, but hardly top 3 at their positions.

Tim Duncan is a center too.

I guess CP3 is more deserving of first team than Wall.  But that looks ugly in the wake of getting destroyed by Jason Terry.

CP3 is completely deserving.   And I hate him.  

Does anyone know why Steph Curry was so mad after the Nick Johnson handshake at pregame? They were showing highlights tonight of him being upset after meeting halfcourt with captains, what is the reason for being upset? 

Curry thought that the Rockets were sending out their 12th man off the bench (a 2 ppg rookie) instead of James Harden for the captain's meeting as an insult - that Harden was refusing to shake his hand because of the MVP voting.   

(he also probably was trying to find something, anything to get himself fired up before the game)  

He wasn't the only person who thought this.

"Tyler Brooke of Bleacher Report suggested that Curry was probably pissed because he was expecting James Harden or Dwight Howard. And I suspect that the Rockets did not send Harden, because they want to emphasize this series is not about the Harden vs. Curry MVP battle. Plus, they figured they could get under Curry’s skin."

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nba/steph-curry-clearly-pissed-after-shaking-hands-with-nick-johnson/

"

http://www.bigplay.com/rockets-get-in-steph-currys-head-during-captains-handshake/

Edited by Predicto
  • Like 1

So Curry got fined for flopping. Out of that game the league chose Curry as the flop that needed to be fined. Really makes you wonder how long and destructive a drug habit you have to have before they hire you to stare at video for the nba.

If anyone deserved to be fined for flopping in that game it was obviously Draymond Green, to anyone not employed by the nba at least. He didn't just flop, he flopped to take out Ariza and then alternated between grabbing Ariza's legs and making his best innocent face at the ref. That was a flop to be remembered, both for creativity and boldness.

• Like 1

So Curry got fined for flopping. Out of that game the league chose Curry as the flop that needed to be fined. Really makes you wonder how long and destructive a drug habit you have to have before they hire you to stare at video for the nba.

If anyone deserved to be fined for flopping in that game it was obviously Draymond Green, to anyone not employed by the nba at least. He didn't just flop, he flopped to take out Ariza and then alternated between grabbing Ariza's legs and making his best innocent face at the ref. That was a flop to be remembered, both for creativity and boldness.

Curry didn't flop.  Curry always goes down when he is in traffic or doesn't have a clear landing spot coming down from a jumper, because he knows his ankles are made of glass and he doesn't dare land with his foot on the side of anyone's foot.  Jones slid under him, so Curry went over.   Happens 20 times a game, never gets called as a foul (or a flop).

Now Draymond - well, yes.  That was ... something.   I love Draymond.