Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

Any of you guys feel that Wall isn't aggressive enough? During his superman run in the 4th, he oddly decided to start taking jumpers and passing the ball instead of attacking more. It's really weird. Also, there are times when he drives and gets to the basket easily but decides to pass the ball out at the last second. That one kick out to Humphries (who bricked it) stands out

The Wizards can't win like that

Wall drives looking to pass first.  He is a pass first PG in the true sense of the term.  Drive and kicks are how he gets so many of his assists.  Defenses always collapse on him and shooters get left open and he finds them.  A lot of times he's not so much looking to get by defenders as he is to pull them.

That's also how the likes of Rasual Butler and Trevor Ariza and Martell Webster have career years shooting the ball when they run with him.

As far as settling for pull up jumpers, that's a function of him actually getting too aggressive with his shot selection.  Wall isn't a chucker, but Wall has a tendency to start heat-checking in crunch time, especially if he's having a good quarter and is in takeover mode.  He likes to take and make "Jordan shots."

He settled for pull ups after ISO plays because the big man had switched onto him and he wanted to exploit that too badly IMO.  He over-thought it and forced it, he'd have been better off resetting the offense and running a real play.

Also, Humphries is in a mini-shooting slump right now, but before this, an open 16-20 footer had been automatic for him.

This is a poor time for the big men to go cold, because the next five weeks are going to be the hardest stretch of the Wizards' schedule this season.  A good team finds a way to adjust.  We'll see what Randy has in his repertoire.  The gaudy record from the first six weeks of the season is going to get deflated.  But this team is also still a long way from peaking this year and is probably going to be better in the second half.

I have my doubts that'll be the case for Atlanta and Toronto.

ATL is weird. They've beat some really good squads and their team is really deep. A lot of solid role guys. But when they beat the Bulls, it was really iffy. Same as when they beat the Wiz. 

TOR just doesn't have a killer instinct. They are solid but they suck at finishing games. 

The Cavs can honestly finish 41-41 and that would still be the last team I would wanna face in the east. Can't remember the last East team to beat LBJ in the playoffs. But Varejao just tore his Achiles so they got even weaker 

Wizards have beaten up on lesser teams and are still trying to gel a bit. They probably have one (Wall) of maybe 2-3 elite guys in this group that can single-handedly win a series.

Bulls are nice and all but we all know it can change in a second. Their intended starting 5 has only played together like 7-8 times. 

Basically, WTF knows what'll happen in '15

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

If the Wizards face Toronto in the postseason, I don't love our chances.  But I like our chances against anyone else.  But by the same token, I don't love Toronto's chances against Chicago or Cleveland.

ATL has had an even softer schedule than we have, they're not legit contenders.  They're overachievers with a solid group of players but no top end talent.  That'll show up in the playoffs IMO.  They'll be competitive but they'll struggle to win a series against Chicago, Washington, or Cleveland.  I think they're peaking now, similar to last season.  I think they drop down a few spots to maybe fifth in the standings.

I think the Bulls record will improve over the course of the second half once they get to play some home games.  But I also think they might be stunted by the time they reach the postseason because of fatigue and wear.  The deeper roster hasn't translated to lower minutes.  They're still essentially rolling out eight man rotations and playing guys upper 30s minutes on nights when most of their guys are healthy.

I can see the Cavs really gelling and ripping off a win streak in the second half and climbing in the standings.  But it's important to also remember Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love have never played a playoff game before.  Nor come close to the 3000 minute mark.  Those two are going to be worn out in the postseason.

And I can see Miami being the tough low seed teams won't want to face.  Especially compared to Milwaukee and Brooklyn/whoever backs into the 8 seed.  I could see Toronto and Atlanta struggle to beat Miami.

Lakers up by 14 against Golden State, what's different tonight?

Warriors turned the ball over about a zillion times in weird ways, missed dunks and layups, and basically looked like a rec league team.  Meanwhile, the Lakers were the first team to shoot 50% against the Dubs this year.

It was ugly.

The Cavs can honestly finish 41-41 and that would still be the last team I would wanna face in the east. Can't remember the last East team to beat LBJ in the playoffs. But Varejao just tore his Achiles so they got even weaker 

Wasn't it Boston his last year in Cleveland?  When he allegedly quit the last game after they came back in the series down 2-1.

I think he's a better player but I'm not sure he could spur a 12-0 run in like a 1:30 like Wall can with his only his speed

Curry spurs a 12-0 run in 1:30 about once a game.  He doesn't do it with pure speed, but with stuff like this

Lillard is looking pretty deadly in late game situations too.

Lillard is cash money when the game is on the line.   He has no fear.  

Predicto, I love Curry and I'd take him over Wall.

But Wall's athletic ability is off worldly. 

Than again, so is Curry's shooting ability 

Athletically, Wall is better than any guard not named Westbrook.  No doubt.  He's terrific.  

But Curry does a lot more than shoot.  If the whole Warriors team wasn't so committed to making the extra pass, he would have a couple more assists per game than he already does.   He runs an offense just as well as Wall does, he's just less ball-dominant in the Warrior's scheme.     

Curry does a lot more than shoot, but I think he has a lot of space to do it largely because of his shooting.  You can't play off of him at all which makes it that much easier for him to drive.  I'm not saying that to diminish his handles either, they are either the best or 2nd best in the league (Kyrie's are great as well).  After that you have the crazy one hand releases he has at the rim which freeze the bigs when he's driving at them. 

Put that all together and the guy has all the space in the world between the three point line (where his defender is still standing after he blows by him) and the rim (where bigs stand frozen).  He could throw the ball up and bounce it off his head it to the nearest player for an assist. 

Curry is amazing.  If he had John Wall's body and ankles we'd be asking why Lebron gets so much press. 

Edited by Destino

I'm a Melo fan, but his rep should take a massive hit after this season. His Knicks are just as bad, if not worse, than the Sixers. At least the Sixers have a reason to suck.

And I'm not so sure I'd bring Fisher back. 5-25?

Oh I know

If Acy would have stole him, Wall would be sleeping until KD finally makes his FA decision lol

Acy is a bum scrub who couldn't stop Wall within the rules so he had to act like a **** on the basketball court. He completely missed with that right hook. Who says this dude can fight? Based on what? From what I've seen, only NBA players I've seen who could throw the hands were Charles Barkley and Charlie Ward. The rest of these dudes would rather not get touched.