Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

**** man....****

cfgardner

cf_gatdner

Jabari Parker has sprained left knee, according to Bucks, and will not return. Stay tuned.

Calling it a sprain but as us Wiz and Skins fans know, they always call it a sprain at first (and sprain actually, technically IS a tear, so on, so forth)

But ****, this looks really, really bad

FemalePastEyas.gif

Duck Fuke and all but man, this one is really bugging me for some reason. In my gut, like...**** man. That really, really sucks

Edit: thinking about it, it's because I know VERY well just how devastating and career killing a knee injury can be. George and Randle were much more gruesome but those were clean breaks; put a cast on that **** and chill for a minute. Serious knee injuries though? In the NBA? Agent Zero says holler.

So yeah, I love basketball and the NBA, love seeing small market teams (in any sport) be successful and hit it big. And we potentially just got robbed on both fronts: losing a lot of the potential of a future great (and entertaining) superstar and the dreadful, bottom feeding NBA team from Wis****ingconsin, just lost their biggest and best hope since Ray Allen bounced a decade ago. That just really sucks.

Edited by G.A.C.O.L.B.

Btw, are the gifs I post on here really, really choppy for anyone else? ****ing kills me. Trying to figure out if it's the link/source, my formatting or just my delicate little **** Samsung/AT&T/Android phone (**** you Samsung, you really, really suck AT&T, Google...Google, I'll always love you baby.)

Regardless of the knee injury, I've never been that high on Parker. Don't think he was a future great. Too flawed. I think his best case was as a poor man's Melo.

Joel Embiid getting hurt was the more depressing injury for me.

True. But there's still a chance he could've been a great. And we were just potentially robbed of witnessing that.

Btw, what exactly is Embid's injury? How lasting? It happened well before the draft right? Still went 3rd overall so how serious is it? Definitely not microfracture level of serious right?

True. But there's still a chance he could've been a great. And we were just potentially robbed of witnessing that.

Btw, what exactly is Embid's injury? How lasting? It happened well before the draft right? Still went 3rd overall so how serious is it? Definitely not microfracture level of serious right?

Stress fracture to the navicular bone in his foot. It's a bad injury. It's what Bill Walton and Yao Ming had. I think there is a real chance his career never really gets underway because of it.

He's also younger than those guys were, has taken less of a pounding, and isn't needed to return any time soon. So the 76ers would be utter fools not to take it as slow as possible with him.

He got his surgery at the end of June and the timetable for return after it was 5-8 months. I think he'll miss the whole season.

Embiid also had a stress fracture in his back during the college season that essentially ended his season. Foot and back injuries in a big are a bad sign.

It's a shame because the kid had Hakeem-like athletic talent and a surprisingly fluid and skillful game for someone who just started playing a couple years before now. Unlike Parker, he could have been a true two-way stud. No doubt in my mind he had the talent to become a perennial All Star at C. I think his injuries are going to make him bust.

Honestly, I think the fact that Embiid didn't play basketball while he was growing up contributed to his injuries. Basketball is so rough on your legs and feet. If you spend your childhood while your bones are still growing running and jumping on hardwood floors, it probably strengthens your legs where they need to be strengthened.

Not as impressed with Jahlil Okafor as I thought I'd be this time last year. Not as tough and active on the boards as you want and I'm not that optimistic about his defensive potential.

The post game is as fluid and versatile as billed. But his advanced development in the post belies the fact that he's still pretty raw. Still, who else do you take #1?

Mudiay looks like he might have more individual upside than Okafor but he's got some pretty serious flaws. He shares some strengths with James Harden. Not close to the shooter Harden is, but a slasher that uses his size, strength, and advanced handle to get by defenders despite the fact he's slow. He's also similarly lazy and undisciplined.

If I were picking one, I wouldn't take him over Okafor. Okafor looks safe, professional, and big and polished enough to command a decent amount of minutes early on. I think Mudiay takes years before he's a legit good starting PG.

I'm thinking this could be another year where the better draft value will be in picking 3-5.

Pretty sure he just signed the one year qualifier as a RFA so yeah, he's unrestricted this year. And local connection or not, no thanks

If we could afford to add him I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Nene with another big with a variety to his offensive game. Wittman would have him playing the best defense of his life and his fg% would jump here. Washington is not dysfunctional Detroit. (Can't believe I just wrote that)

We don't have the space to add him though.

Edited by Destino

Pretty sure he just signed the one year qualifier as a RFA so yeah, he's unrestricted this year. And local connection or not, no thanks

A first round pick is the most they'll get for him then. That and an expiring. The only teams willing to pay that price are ones that think they can keep him during the summer.

If we could afford to add him I wouldn't be opposed to replacing Nene with another big with a variety to his offensive game. Wittman would have him playing the best defense of his life and his fg% would jump here. Washington is not dysfunctional Detroit. (Can't believe I just wrote that)

We don't have the space to add him though.

I wouldn't mind getting him either. Solid starting big man that can play both PF and C.

Might be able to try and sign him this summer. I wouldn't trade for him though.

Agreed. I'd rather not go after Monroe and whiff on Durant then sign Monroe and lose the opportunity to pursue Durant.

Wonder if there is a way to fit both under the cap? It is supposed to shoot up soon. But my guess is probably not.

If it was at all possible to get both Monroe AND Durant, I think that undoubtedly means that Beal is gone. So then the question becomes Beal or Monroe. Personally I'm going Beal and it's not even close.

Agreed. I'd rather not go after Monroe and whiff on Durant then sign Monroe and lose the opportunity to pursue Durant.

Wonder if there is a way to fit both under the cap? It is supposed to shoot up soon. But my guess is probably not.

No chance.  Wall, Monroe, Beal, Gortat, and Durant?  Would be nice to see how many assists per game Wall could pull off with that team though.  Two PnR bigs and two fantastic shooters, one of which is an NBA hall of famer?  That's a passing point guard's dream. 

Some interesting facts about the history of the MVP award:

Since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, the MVP award has gone to the leader of a one or two seed all but four times: the '78-'79 season when Moses won it; the '80-'81 season when Dr. J won it; the '80-'81 season when Moses won it again; and the '87-'88 season when MJ won it.

The '78-'79 Moses season is notable as the last season before the "team success" norm really got established in the post-merger era. Prior to the merger, there were a couple years in the post Russell/Wilt era where players won the award on middling teams, including Bob McAdoo and Kareem. When it happened for Kareem, he was a fully established household name who'd won the award twice on dominant Milwaukee teams. And McAdoo won his MVP for the Buffalo Braves during a stretch where he'd led the NBA in scoring for several consecutive years.

Moses's first MVP stands out from all other MVP seasons IMO, because Houston truly was a middling team and he wasn't the league's top scorer. Houston finished fourth in the East with 47 wins and got swept in the first round--a 2 game playoff-- by the fifth seeded Hawks. Moses won the award because he led the league in minutes and rebounds and offensive win shares. He finished third in PER behind Kareem and Marques Johnson (of Milwaukee), third in WS/48 to those same two players, and second behind Kareem in VORP and total win shares. If you're thinking, "why didn't Kareem win it then?" the answer is because the Lakers were mediocre too, and also finished with 47 wins and were the five seed. And there was probably some Kareem fatigue at play. Regardless, Moses was one of the two most deserving players from an individual perspective, in a year when the top seeds' best players--Gus Williams, Jak Sikma, Bobby Dandridge, and Elvin Hayes--were not legitimate MVP candidates.

It was very much an anomaly season.

Dr. J's MVP season in '80-'81 was much less of an anomaly. The 76ers had the second highest win total in the NBA, but they were the three seed because Boston (who led the league) played in the same division. Two division conferences, so Philly got the three seed.

Same thing for Moses '81-'82 season. Again, Philly had the second best record in the league but Boston had the best.

By today's rules, those Philly teams would have been two seeds.

But by the same token, Steve Nash won the MVP in '05-'06 playing for a two seeded Phoenix team that would have been the three seed by today's rules.

MJ's '87-'88 MVP season is an anomaly in many regards. It was the best individual season a perimeter player has ever had. By a country mile. He won DPOY that year too. He absolutely destroyed the league, you couldn't give the award to anyone else and maintain a facade of integrity. Chicago also finished as the three seed.

And that's it. All of the other 34 MVP awards since the merger have gone to the leaders of one or two seeds.

So long story short, Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning the award this season and is not a serious MVP candidate. If the season were to end today, Steph Curry would be the MVP.

• Like 1

Some interesting facts about the history of the MVP award:

Since the NBA-ABA merger in 1976, the MVP award has gone to the leader of a one or two seed all but four times: the '78-'79 season when Moses won it; the '80-'81 season when Dr. J won it; the '80-'81 season when Moses won it again; and the '87-'88 season when MJ won it.

The '78-'79 Moses season is notable as the last season before the "team success" norm really got established in the post-merger era. Prior to the merger, there were a couple years in the post Russell/Wilt era where players won the award on middling teams, including Bob McAdoo and Kareem. When it happened for Kareem, he was a fully established household name who'd won the award twice on dominant Milwaukee teams. And McAdoo won his MVP for the Buffalo Braves during a stretch where he'd led the NBA in scoring for several consecutive years.

Moses's first MVP stands out from all other MVP seasons IMO, because Houston truly was a middling team and he wasn't the league's top scorer. Houston finished fourth in the East with 47 wins and got swept in the first round--a 2 game playoff-- by the fifth seeded Hawks. Moses won the award because he led the league in minutes and rebounds and offensive win shares. He finished third in PER behind Kareem and Marques Johnson (of Milwaukee), third in WS/48 to those same two players, and second behind Kareem in VORP and total win shares. If you're thinking, "why didn't Kareem win it then?" the answer is because the Lakers were mediocre too, and also finished with 47 wins and were the five seed. And there was probably some Kareem fatigue at play. Regardless, Moses was one of the two most deserving players from an individual perspective, in a year when the top seeds' best players--Gus Williams, Jak Sikma, Bobby Dandridge, and Elvin Hayes--were not legitimate MVP candidates.

It was very much an anomaly season.

Dr. J's MVP season in '80-'81 was much less of an anomaly. The 76ers had the second highest win total in the NBA, but they were the three seed because Boston (who led the league) played in the same division. Two division conferences, so Philly got the three seed.

Same thing for Moses '81-'82 season. Again, Philly had the second best record in the league but Boston had the best.

By today's rules, those Philly teams would have been two seeds.

But by the same token, Steve Nash won the MVP in '05-'06 playing for a two seeded Phoenix team that would have been the three seed by today's rules.

MJ's '87-'88 MVP season is an anomaly in many regards. It was the best individual season a perimeter player has ever had. By a country mile. He won DPOY that year too. He absolutely destroyed the league, you couldn't give the award to anyone else and maintain a facade of integrity. Chicago also finished as the three seed.

And that's it. All of the other 34 MVP awards since the merger have gone to the leaders of one or two seeds.

So long story short, Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning the award this season and is not a serious MVP candidate. If the season were to end today, Steph Curry would be the MVP.

I wont say no chance. He has to have an all time great season

But you are right, the odds are stacked against him.