Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***2021-2022 NBA Season Thread***

RonArtest15

41 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The Clippers landed “the most power player in the NBA” and PG without sacrificing any depth and somehow that’s Jerry West bending over for KL?  If Ujiri was given the opportunity to make the same move and didn’t, that speaks to Ujiri making a terrible decision. I suspect he would’ve jumped at the chance to make the same move and Toronto would’ve repeated.  

They traded their best young player and four unprotected first round picks plus two pick swaps.  That is a massive and unprecedented price to pay for bringing in PG, which was done to get Kawhi.  There is no way that Ujiri would have let a player take over his franchise like that.  He is golden now and the Raptors are playing with house money.  No one is ever going to be able to hold him hostage again.  Jerry West was desperate to put the Clippers on the map to compete with the Lakers and he had to do this in order to avoid coming up empty on this offseason.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We should be calling the Thunder now while they still have all that trade ammo.

I was reading earlier, one of the brilliant things about what OKC got back is that some of these picks are far off in the future.  Far enough that Kawhi and PG will reach free agency again and might not be Clippers by the time those picks come around.  In other words there's no telling that the Clippers will be good when some of these picks are up so they might have more value despite being way off in the future.

I'd be shopping Beal hard to OKC I'd be cool with some of those far off future picks, also the Lakers.  Lakers are probably pretty embarrassed right now.  In a league that's wide open with a lot of teams thinking they've got a shot, Beal might have a lot of value.  

Edited by Spaceman Spiff

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'd be shopping Beal hard to OKC I'd be cool with some of those far off future picks, also the Lakers.  Lakers are probably pretty embarrassed right now.  In a league that's wide open with a lot of teams thinking they've got a shot, Beal might have a lot of value.   

The Lakers shot their wad on Davis.  They have no assets left.

The market for Beal has to be a team that's either pretty close, or a team that got left out in the cold this summer and want to save face with their fanbase cough Knicks cough.

21 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

NBA >

Man...the league is in a GREAT place right now.  SO much parity.  

Utah, Clippers, Lakers, Nuggets, Warriors, 76ers, Bucks.  Seven legit contenders plus the Pacers, Heat, Blazers, and Celtics could sneak into the mix.

I can't remember the league ever being this close to parity before.  Hopefully the next decade of the NBA maintains and deepens this level of competitive balance.

But it's also hard to ignore that the only reason it happened was because Durant tore his Achilles and Steve Ballmer was willing to do whatever it took to get Kawhi.  The incentive is still going to be there for the greatest players to team up because they're judged on rings and they want sure bets to getting them and in most cases they don't have to sacrifice anything real to make these team ups happen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

1 - Leveled the playing field.  Kawhi still earned that championship by outplaying Curry.

2 - Putting up gimmicky counting stats on a mediocre team didn't make Westbrook worthy of winning MVP over Kawhi that year.  He should have been third in voting behind Kawhi and Harden.  Kawhi should have won it.  He adhered much better to the historic norms of the award and he is a flat out better player than Westbrook.

3 - Bent over for Kawhi in a way that Ujiri never would have.

Klay also got hurt and tore his acl in game 6 were he was on pace for 40. 

31 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Lakers shot their wad on Davis.  They have no assets left.

The market for Beal has to be a team that's either pretty close, or a team that got left out in the cold this summer and want to save face with their fanbase cough Knicks cough.

This is something I could see Beal trying to put breaks to that, as he said he wants to be in a contender, whether its here or not.

I know its supposed to be obvious we in a rebuild, but refusing to trade him with these historic deals going down feels more like they don't really want to do that or it take too long.  If Beal says he wants to see what happens this offseason and wants to be on a contender, are planning to give him that to keep him happy?

Before free agency started, the Clippers knew they needed a second star to lure Leonard, but had no idea whom he wanted. The Clippers inquired on deals for Washington's Bradley Beal and New Orleans' Jrue Holiday, but those guards weren't available in trades. Eventually, Leonard made his intentions known to the Clippers: Paul George.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27131637/sources-fear-lakers-dynasty-drove-clips-deal

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

If the Clippers win a title. The trade is worth it. It’s the clippers. The franchise is historically worse than the Wizards. 

Wait. The raptors denied trading pascal for Paul George and Westbrook?? That seems stupid af on paper. 

Yeah I saw that too. Raptors took a bath in this whole situation and are stupid if they didn’t prevent Kawhi leaving with Pg and Westbrook

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

8 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Before free agency started, the Clippers knew they needed a second star to lure Leonard, but had no idea whom he wanted. The Clippers inquired on deals for Washington's Bradley Beal and New Orleans' Jrue Holiday, but those guards weren't available in trades. Eventually, Leonard made his intentions known to the Clippers: Paul George.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27131637/sources-fear-lakers-dynasty-drove-clips-deal

I can't imagine the haul was anywhere close to what OKC got, but I wonder what DC turned down or if it even got that far.

Also, I have to imagine PG and Westbrook was for Siakam and Raptor's draft picks till end of time.  There's no way Ujiri turns down Siakam for PG and Westbrook even if it has no bearing on luring Kwahi.  

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Klay also got hurt and tore his acl in game 6 were he was on pace for 40. 

I think you could have definitely still won if not for the Klay Thompson injury.  Durant made your team invincible, but you didn't need him to beat the Raptors even with all of the defensive issues the team was having.  The Klay Thompson injury that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

• Like 2

I keep saying it, Wizards can't be serious about a rebuild if Clippers offered anything close to what OKC got and we turned them down.  Clippers were just as desperate as the Lakers, it of been like taking advantage of someone like the knicks while still keeping Beal happy sending him to a contender.

How they are handling Beal is overshadowing the other things they are getting right lately, like a Bruce Allen regime that gets more stuff right but still does stupid **** to hold us back.

And for the record, id rather trade a player for multiple picks in hopes of drafting well and luring a Max player to go over the top then trade all my picks for foreseeable future just in hopes of a single ring.  Clippers feel like this interesting hybrid of doing one then the other, smart having KL for 4 years and PG for 3, so much different if they were on expiring deals, Toronto paid a steep price for one ring because of that and it will get worse next offseason.

Edited by Renegade7