Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7: The Shanahan Way - Offensive Accountability and Expectations

Lavarleap56

We always hear Mike Shanahan talk about “doing the little things right” but what exactly are those little things? Every coach has his own principles that build the foundation and attitude of his football team, and Mike Shanahan is no different. He is big on accountability and expecting perfection, just ask guys like Steve Young,John Elway, and even Jake Plummer. When the little things are done to perfection than a Shanahan offense becomes a dominant unit, but when they are not they struggle with consistency.

Nothing here is earth shattering, but it will help you identify who is doing it the Shanahan way and who is not. There is always a player or two you think are performing on the field but end up in the famous Shanahan doghouse for reasons you can not figure out. The reason usually starts with ” not doing the little things” right..

Enough with the talk, check out Mike Shanahan’s  list of expectations & offensive accountability.

-QUARTERBACKS-

1. DURING ANY NON-TEAM DRILL IN PRACTICE (7 ON 7, INSTALLATION, ETC.) IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NOT LET ANY FOOTBALL HIT THE GROUND. (STRIVE FOR PERFECTION).

2. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NEVER BE CHARGED WITH A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY. THE QB IS AT FAULT IF WE ARE.

3. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS THE QB’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE EACH MEMBER OF THE OFFENSIVE UNIT LEAVES THE HUDDLE WITH THE PROPER PLAY CALL (FORMATION, PLAY, SNAP COUNT).

4. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION THAT THE QB MAKES ONLY GOOD DECISIONS WITH THE FOOTBALL. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, NEVER FORCING THROWS IN THE RED ZONE AND NEVER TAKING SACKS ON 3RD DOWNS THAT TAKE OUR OFFENSE OUT OF FG RANGE.

5. IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO WIN ALL THE TIME. HAVING THIS EXPECTATION REQUIRES THAT THE QB BE ACCOUNTABLE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE REST OF HIS TEAMMATES AND SETS THE EXAMPLE OF HOW THE REDSKINS PREPARE TO WIN FOOTBALL GAMES.

Read More; http://httr24-7.com/blog/the-shanahan-way-offensive-accountability-and-expectations/ 

Apparentlly Jerruh Jones has a list as well:

-QUARTERBACKS-

1. DURING ANY NON-TEAM DRILL IN PRACTICE (7 ON 7, INSTALLATION, ETC.) IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NOT LET ANY FOOTBALL HIT THE WIDE RECEIVER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. (STRIVE FOR UNTIMELY INTERCEPTIONS).

2. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NEVER BE CHARGED WITH A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY. IF WE DO, THOUGH, THE TIGHT END IS AT FAULT...NOT THE QB. REMEMBER THAT.

3. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS THE QB’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE EACH MEMBER OF THE OFFENSIVE UNIT LEAVES THE HUDDLE. THAT'S IT.

4. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION THAT THE QB MAKES ONLY GOOD DECISIONS WITH THE FOOTBALL. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, PLAYING CATCH WITH THE OWNER DURING PRACTICE AND GIVING THE OWNER A HIGH-FIVE ON THE SIDELINES DURING THE GAMES...AND INTERCEPTIONS ARE THE FAULT OF THE WIDE RECEIVERS. NOT THE QB. REMEMBER THAT.

5. IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO WIN ALL THE TIME. WELL, MOST OF THE TIME. OK, AN OCCASIONAL WIN WOULD BE NICE. HAVING LOW EXPECTATIONS REQUIRES LITTLE, SO IT SHOULDN'T BE HARD TO MEET THAT GOAL.

FURTHER, THE QB IS TO BE ACCOUNTABLE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE REST OF HIS TEAMMATES AND SETS THE EXAMPLE OF OH HELL WHO AM I KIDDING WE'RE TALKING ABOUT Romo sits to pee HERE, FOR PETE'S SAKE.

Apparentlly Jerruh Jones has a list as well:

-QUARTERBACKS-

1. DURING ANY NON-TEAM DRILL IN PRACTICE (7 ON 7, INSTALLATION, ETC.) IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NOT LET ANY FOOTBALL HIT THE WIDE RECEIVER IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. (STRIVE FOR UNTIMELY INTERCEPTIONS).

2. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO NEVER BE CHARGED WITH A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY. IF WE DO, THOUGH, THE TIGHT END IS AT FAULT...NOT THE QB. REMEMBER THAT.

3. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS THE QB’S RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE EACH MEMBER OF THE OFFENSIVE UNIT LEAVES THE HUDDLE. THAT'S IT.

4. DURING ANY GAME, IT IS OUR EXPECTATION THAT THE QB MAKES ONLY GOOD DECISIONS WITH THE FOOTBALL. THIS INCLUDES, BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO, PLAYING CATCH WITH THE OWNER DURING PRACTICE AND GIVING THE OWNER A HIGH-FIVE ON THE SIDELINES DURING THE GAMES...AND INTERCEPTIONS ARE THE FAULT OF THE WIDE RECEIVERS. NOT THE QB. REMEMBER THAT.

5. IT IS OUR EXPECTATION TO WIN ALL THE TIME. WELL, MOST OF THE TIME. OK, AN OCCASIONAL WIN WOULD BE NICE. HAVING LOW EXPECTATIONS REQUIRES LITTLE, SO IT SHOULDN'T BE HARD TO MEET THAT GOAL.

FURTHER, THE QB IS TO BE ACCOUNTABLE ABOVE AND BEYOND THE REST OF HIS TEAMMATES AND SETS THE EXAMPLE OF OH HELL WHO AM I KIDDING WE'RE TALKING ABOUT Romo sits to pee HERE, FOR PETE'S SAKE.

LOL, this is poster material you need to copyright this ASAP.

Where did this list come from? What is the source?

Thanks for posting

I have a copy of one of Shannys old Broncos offensive play books - it's has the same bullet point list in the front. I will try to find the PDF if I still have it and post it, it's on an old iPad I think ....

In the tight ends section, does anyone know what this means?

ALWAYS TURN THE BALL UP IN YOUR SHADOW AFTER YOU CATCH THE BALL! FINISH PAST THE HEAD COACH.

It means once you catch the ball immediately head North/South rather than dancing or heading East/West. Shanny must position himself deep on the defensive side of the ball and he wants his receivers to run for the end zone on every catch - the whole WCO is based on yards after the catch ....

I hope RG III is better equipped to deal with the Perfectionist Management style than Jake Plummer was. It can put a strain on relationships.

I think it's piss-poor management. Striving for perfection is fine. But, realistically, is isn't attainable when humans are involved. Managers who have a hissy fit over every little mistake are not going to get better results. They're going to get pissed off subordinates.

I hope RG III is better equipped to deal with the Perfectionist Management style than Jake Plummer was. It can put a strain on relationships.

I think it's piss-poor management. Striving for perfection is fine. But, realistically, is isn't attainable when humans are involved. Managers who have a hissy fit over every little mistake are not going to get better results. They're going to get pissed off subordinates.

:rolleyes:

If he isn't equipped to deal with a perfectionist management style then he shouldn't be an NFL Quarterback, let alone an NFL player. Quarterbacks go through much worse things in their career than that. 

These athletes are the best in the world.  To reach that level of superiority in anything requires a strong mindset with an extremely confident personality.  Jake Plummer was weak-minded, which is why he never won a championship. 

Winning a championship is like being Steven Hawking or Bill Gates in your field.  You are at the top of the top. You must believe you are the best and strive for perfection. I'm confident that RG3 is suited for this type of offensive approach.

Isn't your favorite coach in the NFL today Bill Belichick?

I don't understand this line of thinking at all.  The list was a pretty tame outline of expectations for an NFL team.  It's not like he asked for everyone's first born child.

And yes...I know you're not a big Shanny fan.  But stretching this "things every player in the NFL should do" list into an indictment of our coach reeks of anti-Shanahan agenda.

And saying "I hope RG3 handles this better than Jake Plummer" is like saying "I hope Phil Mickelson is a better wedge player than me".

It depends on the spirit in which you apply the mantra and also your ability as a manager to create a situation where its about us not about you versus me. Your right mistakes will happen but it's right to strive to minimize these and constantly search for improvement. I see these kinds of statements as being about setting out intent and a tone for how we conduct ourselves - if a coach starts making players do push ups or wind sprints every time a pass falls incomplete in 7 on 7 he will lose the team quickly.

Thanks for the explanation Martin and I don't wanna know how you got a copy of Shanahan's playbook. :D

There are all kinds of play books in PDF available on the web - some sites try to get you to pay to download but you can find tons free as well.

Martin writes: It depends on the spirit in which you apply the mantra and also your ability as a manager to create a situation where its about us not about you versus me.

None of us can comment on how Mike applies his decree, so my remark is limited to that which was quoted in the OP. 

Your right mistakes will happen but it's right to strive to minimize these and constantly search for improvement.
Well, of course. But, it is unreasonable and counterproductive for a manager to expect or demand anything more than that. Your statement should be all that a manager has to say on the topic.

I see these kinds of statements as being about setting out intent and a tone for how we conduct ourselves...

So, do I. The tone of that statement would rub me wrong as a QB. I know when I make a mistake and I will work to correct them. I don't need a screamer who expects perfection to get me motivated.The inference that I do need him to push me to do my best is insulting.

Shanahan never states in that playbook snippet that he will scream at you if you do it wrong, OF. Those are the goals in which he wants to strive for. It has nothing to do with actually believing that every play will be perfect, but rather designing every play, and walking to the line every play, with the intent to be perfect. No lazy mistakes or silly errors.

It's a reminder that the head coach has expectations. I've seen coaches with very low expectations and the results are always less than optimal.

So, do I. The tone of that statement would rub me wrong as a QB. I know when I make a mistake and I will work to correct them. I don't need a screamer who expects perfection to get me motivated.The inference that I do need him to push me to do my best is insulting.

Agree to disagree with you here Oldfan. I would personally read that if I was the QB and get the message that expectations are high for me personally and the team. Its a statement of intent and I would not not take offence.

If a coach was screaming at me every time I made the slightest mistake though that would get old very quickly. I have come across coaches who mistake volume of noise generated for motivation and teaching - I quickly tune them out. Same with players giving ra ra speeches in the locker room or before a game - tuned out. 

I don't think OF is arguing that striving for perfection is a bad idea. Obviously it's not.

I do believe he is arguing that, if you're getting extremely upset when perfection isn't achieved, it's detrimental to the team.

Sorry to speak for you OF, just seemed like your post was being misunderstood.

I don't think OF is arguing that striving for perfection is a bad idea. Obviously it's not.

I do believe he is arguing that, if you're getting extremely upset when perfection isn't achieved, it's detrimental to the team.

Sorry to speak for you OF, just seemed like your post was being misunderstood.

In OF's first post in this thread he said this:

In his second post, he said this:

None of us can comment on how Mike applies his decree, so my remark is limited to that which was quoted in the OP

And this:

So, do I. The tone of that statement would rub me wrong as a QB. I know when I make a mistake and I will work to correct them. I don't need a screamer who expects perfection to get me motivated.

The point he made about not being able to comment on how Coach Shanahan applies his decree was aimed in response to MartinC, who said:

It depends on the spirit in which you apply the mantra and also your ability as a manager to create a situation where its about us not about you versus me.

So, OF basically says that Martin can't possibly know what way Coach Shanahan applies this decree, but OF can state that yelling and screaming are something that Shanahan does if the decree isn't followed to the letter.

As a coach who has had experience with many playbooks, I can tell you most of them have that kind of bold statement somewhere within them. That doesn't mean it's 100% expected. Every coach I've talked to that has coached at that level has used a decree like that with it as an ultimate goal to strive for the best on every play and never "let up" but not as a tool to scream and yell for a simple mistake. To be fair, I haven't spoken to Coach Shanahan. So I suppose it would be conjecture to believe he fell in the same boat. *shrug*

Thanks for posting

Came from the playbook & something Shanny has used going back to his Denver days.

Shanny is a perfectionists but so is Robert Griffin III... Mike can't push Robert too hard if that's what some are thinking.

Thanks for posting

Came from the playbook & something Shanny has used going back to his Denver days.

Shanny is a perfectionists but so is Robert Griffin III... Mike can't push Robert too hard if that's what some are thinking.

It's word for word what is in his 2004 Denver offensive playbook with the word Redskins substituted for Broncos.

Archived