Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which retro Nintendo game console is the best?

Sticksboi05

Best retro Nintendo game console  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Best retro Nintendo game console?

• Nintendo Entertainment System
    • Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    • Nintendo 64

NES was legendary for what it was.  I still play NES games on an emulator on my laptop just about every day (normally when my wife watches a tv show that I can't stand and no one is in here to talk).

SNES was also very good and actually a close second. 

I was never one for the N64.  Pretty much after the Playstation came out, I got into Playstation, PS2, and PS3 and never really looked elsewhere (especially after the Dreamcast debacle).

But those games are timeless.  I mean, Golf, RBI Baseball, Zelda, Rad Racer... there is something for everyone.

For me its N64. So much re-play value. I think I played as much if not more N64 in college than 360 or PS3. Mario Kart 64 and Goldeneye are 2 of the best games IMO. And that's not even talking about Ocarina of Time.

Couldn't agree more...Goldeye was the first successful console FPS and lead the way to game like Call of Duty and other FPSs.  Mario Kart 64 is still one of the best games of all time.

Also, not to mention, they were first people to utilize the joy stick on a controller that everyone is now used to, that was a HUGE innovation for later systems.

Also, not to mention, they were first people to utilize the joy stick on a controller that everyone is now used to, that was a HUGE innovation for later systems.

That's a good point.  I hardly ever use the directional pad anymore, almost exclusively use the joy sticks/toggles on the PS3 controller.

That's a good point.  I hardly ever use the directional pad anymore, almost exclusively use the joy sticks/toggles on the PS3 controller.

N64 also had the rumble pack to vibrate the controller. Well in advance of other consoles.

NES is always there as a memory of my childhood, but the N64 is the best of them. Think about the first time you popped in Mario 64. The 3d semi-open world was super.

also, you could finally have multi-player. Which was great on Goldeneye and the WCW/WWF wrestling games.

I have a soft spot for the NES, but frankly the SNES is one of the best game systems ever.  Just an amazing library.  In fact I'd probably go so far as to say that the SNES has one of the top 3 console libraries of any system, across all manufacturers.

N64 also had the rumble pack to vibrate the controller. Well in advance of other consoles.

NES is always there as a memory of my childhood, but the N64 is the best of them. Think about the first time you popped in Mario 64. The 3d semi-open world was super.

also, you could finally have multi-player. Which was great on Goldeneye and the WCW/WWF wrestling games.

You beat me to it. I picked N64 because of Mario Kart, Goldeneye and the wrestling games. All of those were just incredibly fun games. I loved NES, but I probably had more fun playing N64.

Judging by relative to the time of its release, it NES hands down.   Read about the video game crash of 1983.    The NES totally changed the landscape when it was released.   

For almost 5 years, the NES was the only name in town in terms of consoles.  The NES library is simply huge in terms of enjoyable games.

SNES and N64 simply didn't have the same impact.

This poll is like trying to choose your favorite child. Rather telling that the vote is almost even across all the consoles. Nintendo and PCs were my gaming childhood and is always why ill buy whatever console nintendo has out currently to play the 1st party games from my childhood even if it's years between solid games. I need to get the larger 3DS at some point this year as well but i have waited this generation on Nintendo for better games and price cuts. The better games and system models always come, just takes awhile and id rather have a back library of games to play than waiting for games to release.

Judging by relative to the time of its release, it NES hands down.   Read about the video game crash of 1983.    The NES totally changed the landscape when it was released.   

For almost 5 years, the NES was the only name in town in terms of consoles.  The NES library is simply huge in terms of enjoyable games.

SNES and N64 simply didn't have the same impact.

To be fair the only reason Nintendo was the only name in town was because they heavily restricted 3rd party developers and limited their releases if they developed for other consoles. The sega master system was out at the same time (Got NES for birthday in December 87 and then the master system at christmas that same year..... awesome times) and was pretty solid as well although NES was the far better console during that time period. Nintendo got sued and lost for their practices back then as well. This is why the genisis had a bigger impact than the master system because 3rd party devs were then allowed to Develop for both consoles without penalty.

Edit: Man i miss the feature where it would automatically merge your posts if you were the last post in the thread and posted again.

sheesh, this is tough.  NES...you've got contra, SMB 1, 2, 3, mega man series, zelda, final fantasy

But when I first got a SNES, I remember the first time I popped in Starfox.  The intro video...my god!!  nba jam, mortal kombat, diddy kong's adventure

then N64 with goldeneye, mario kart racing, super smash bros, zelda: ocarina of time.

man...i'm gonna have to go with n64, then nes, then snes. 

God damn this is a tough one. I'd even consider Sega Genesis because of the Road Rash trilogy and Streets of Rage 2...but nah. Nintendo has the first video game I ever became obsessed with, Mike Tyson's Punch Out. Also a slew of games I became bent on for a time as well. SNES rocked, I collected the Super Scope 6 games, played Vegas Stakes, NHL games, DKC 123, and Ken Griffey Jr. Sim City with the Game Genie on full blast...**** was amazing.

I moved to PC games after SNES, then Xbox...Missed out on the N64. I'm taking the SNES.

Gradius III

F-Zero

Contra III

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

The best Final Fantasy games in the series

Chrono Trigger

Super Castlevania

Mega Man VII, X

Street Fighter II

Super Mario RPG

Mario Kart

TMNT

Super Punch-Out

Actraiser

Secret of Mana

Donkey King Country

Super Ghosts & Goblins

Link to the Past

Earth Bound

Star Fox

I'm sure I'm leaving out some classics..the SNES was just amazing.  There were some great games on the NES, but there is also a lot of nostalgia value clouding the hindsight view of a lot of them and maybe a little bit of wanting to seem more "old school".  The library for the SNES is just heads and shoulders above most systems that came before or after.

Edit: And Battletoads!  Almost forgot Battletoads holy cow...

Gradius III

F-Zero

Contra III

Super Mario World

Super Metroid

The best Final Fantasy games in the series

Chrono Trigger

Super Castlevania

Mega Man VII, X

Street Fighter II

Super Mario RPG

Mario Kart

TMNT

Super Punch-Out

Actraiser

Secret of Mana

Donkey King Country

Super Ghosts & Goblins

Link to the Past

Earth Bound

Star Fox

I'm sure I'm leaving out some classics..the SNES was just amazing. There were some great games on the NES, but there is also a lot of nostalgia value clouding the hindsight view of a lot of them and maybe a little bit of wanting to seem more "old school". The library for the SNES is just heads and shoulders above most systems that came before or after.

Edit: And Battletoads! Almost forgot Battletoads holy cow...

Excellent list and why i choose the SNES too. I'll add super castlevania IV and earthbound as well. Heck there was even a mickey mouse game like DKC that was good but drawing blank on the name.

Excellent list and why i choose the SNES too. I'll add super castlevania IV and earthbound as well. Heck there was even a mickey mouse game like DKC that was good but drawing blank on the name.

Yes!  Magical Quest.  That game was so fun

MagicalQuest1BoxArt.jpg

SNES is my favorite console of all time simply because it has the greatest RPG's imo!! Chrono Trigger is my favorite game followed closely by ff iv. Also I just beat Terranigma, it was never released in america but you can still emulate the english version that was released in Europe. If you like any of the classic SNES RPG's at all you must play this game!! 

All this conversation about retro systems got be to buy an SNES, I am going to put all the retro systems on the basement TV.

I have a pipe dream that one day Nintendo with team with valve and release all their back catalog on steam or at least make their own application to play their games on PC. You can already burn every SNES game in existence to a disc and play them on modded consoles or emulate on PC for free, why not give us a way to do it legally on the PC while Nintendo profits???

Archived