Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Fun With Weapons; Chris Thompson Can Take Redskins Offense Over The Top

KCClybun

History and the odds are against all 3 becoming significant contributors. Fingers crossed though.

They are, but these 3 rookies aren't being thrusted into big roles and will contribute. It also helps that these rookies are coming into a situation with a franchise QB. We haven't had that stability since gibbs 1.0 retired. I bet if we were to replay the 2008 draft where we got Kelly, Thomas and Davis and they had Rg3 as their QBs, thomas and kelly might be still in the NFL as legit contributors.

Nice writeup NLC, I like the possibilities this kid brings to the O, especially with the quality blocking we get out of our WRs downfield. I am sure that Kyle is already diagramming some interesting new wrinkles.

Great piece NLC.

Just a question tho' and not intended to criticize, you say, "check this Field Gulls article" but do not include a link. I feel sure that was your intention but it's missing. Just a heads up.

Loved the piece tho' and very excited to see what kind of damage Thompson can do in the hands of the Shanny's.

Guest Spearfeather
or

Joe Washington

With our pick of Thompson in the 5th, I couldn't help but be reminded of the 1983 season where we had backfield production like this:

Riggins:

Rush yds - 1347

Rec yds - 29

J. Washington:

Rush yds - 772

Rec yds - 454

Running over them with Riggins and then slashing them with Washington was a thing of beauty.

I would like to hear that Kyle and Mike are designing new schemes to confuse our opponents. Incorporating other offensive philosophies and creativity to totally surprise our opponents would be awesome. I am hoping for a new an even better offense.

I would like to hear that Kyle and Mike are designing new schemes to confuse our opponents. Incorporating other offensive philosophies and creativity to totally surprise our opponents would be awesome. I am hoping for a new an even better offense.

Why? It was brilliant to see the pistol for the first time in NOLA and the other team has no idea how to stop it

Yes, they rolled the dice and I am thinking they get lucky with two, to be seen which two. My gut tells me that they do their homework and there is a greater chance all three make it over just one.

History and the odds are against all 3 becoming significant contributors. Fingers crossed though.

I am thinking two, Reed and Thompson.

I'm not sure what the OP means by taking the offense over the top.

But, when/if healthy Thompson adds an explosive element missing from the current RB group.

In the traditional passing game Chris's ability as a 'space' player can help turn a checkdown or screen into a big gain which should improve 3rd efficiency/3rd down conversion rate.

Kyle could also use Thompson as a match-up player in Pistol and Spread formation passing based on the personnel the defense uses to defend him DB vs LB.

In the running game Chris has a different enough (not to mention far more explosive) running style from Morris that a defense will be thrown off-balance by the change of pace.

I'm not sure what the OP means by taking the offense over the top.

But, when/if healthy Thompson adds an explosive element missing from the current RB group.

In the traditional passing game Chris's ability as a 'space' player can help turn a checkdown or screen into a big gain which should improve 3rd efficiency/3rd down conversion rate.

Kyle could also use Thompson as a match-up player in Pistol and Spread formation passing based on the personnel the defense uses to defend him DB vs LB.

In the running game Chris has a different enough (not to mention far more explosive) running style from Morris that a defense will be thrown off-balance by the change of pace.

I think he means exactly what you explained in your paragraph.

I think he means exactly what you explained in your paragraph.
Well what I explained wouldn't take our offense 'over the top' because the offense was already ranked #1 rushing #5 in yards #4 in points #6 in passing efficiency. 'Over the top' is subjective and I'm curious what the OP meant in quantifiable football terms.

What does over the top mean to you?

Well what I explained wouldn't take our offense 'over the top' because the offense was already ranked #1 rushing #5 in yards #4 in points #6 in passing efficiency. 'Over the top' is subjective and I'm curious what the OP meant in quantifiable football terms.

More threatening to defenses than it was this year. I don't think it's any secret that another receiver (currently on our roster or not) that vertically stretches the defense a bit better (That could be in the form of Aldrick's deep threat becoming more consistent, Davis' involvement on a full season scale or even Jordan Reed's involvement) and a back that horizontally stretches the defense a bit better would make the offense more effective.

We put up yards and points but our consistency for points was a bit off. Issue being is we didn't have enough threats to stretch a defense's limits.

We scored 17, 12, 13, 17 and 14 in five games... So that's under 20 points. We scored over 30 points seven times. We were good to be sure, but there's another level that this offense can get to.

More threatening to defenses than it was this year. I don't think it's any secret that another receiver (currently on our roster or not) that vertically stretches the defense a bit better (That could be in the form of Aldrick's deep threat becoming more consistent, Davis' involvement on a full season scale or even Jordan Reed's involvement) and a back that horizontally stretches the defense a bit better would make the offense more effective.
More effective sure. Over the top?
We put up yards and points but our consistency for points was a bit off. Issue being is we didn't have enough threats to stretch a defense's limits.

Agree with the first statement not the second. When healthy I think we have plenty of threats to field an explosive/high scoring offense. I don't believe an offense needs to 'stretch a defense limits' to score points consistently.
We scored 17, 12, 13, 17 and 14 in five games... So that's under 20 points. We scored over 30 points seven times. We were good to be sure, but there's another level that this offense can get to.
Again, I agree. But I don't think a back-up RB is going to provide as much to the offense as a healthy Fred Davis or a healthy Garcon or an emerging Hankerson/Aldrick Robinson.

Like I said before when/if healthy Thompson adds an explosive element missing from the current RB group.

But I don't think any of the above pushes the offense 'over the top'.

Again, I agree. But I don't think a back-up RB is going to provide as much to the offense as a healthy Fred Davis or a healthy Garcon or an emerging Hankerson/Aldrick Robinson.

Somewhat agree. A back up back isn't going to give a consistent stretch threat like Davis or Garcon. But, he does give a huge threat when in the game. Which can open other things.

But I don't think any of the above pushes the offense 'over the top'.

I think the "over the top" part of it was really just used as a phrase to say, "improve on a very good offense"

...I think the "over the top" part of it was really just used as a phrase to say, "improve on a very good offense"
Okay, then in that case I agree.

I do wish we had a more complete back as part of our depth. I feel like all our backs outside of Morris are specialty guys that couldn't sustain a 20+ carries diet if needed.

But, I guess we'll see come camp. I always liked Helu and Royster but neither seem like the backs they were 2 years ago.

I do wish we had a more complete back as part of our depth. I feel like all our backs outside of Morris are specialty guys that couldn't sustain a 20+ carries diet if needed.

But, I guess we'll see come camp. I always liked Helu and Royster but neither seem like the backs they were 2 years ago.

Very much agree with you on the specialty thing. Although, I think Jawan Jamison is going to impress. I spoke with his RB coach at a clinic in February and the guy was gushing about Jamison's ability to see an opening and hit it. I see us keeping four backs... Helu, Thompson, Morris and Jamison.

I don't know a lot about Jamison but I'm gonna look him up here soon.

I love Helu and I'm rooting for him, but I have huge injury concerns about him. IF healthy though I think he's the most complete back after Morris.

Neither here nor there I really wanted Christine Michael, dang Seahawks!

I don't know a lot about Jamison but I'm gonna look him up here soon.

I love Helu and I'm rooting for him, but I have huge injury concerns about him. IF healthy though I think he's the most complete back after Morris.

Neither here nor there I really wanted Christine Michael, dang Seahawks!

Well it's no surprise an ******* like Pete Carroll would draft an ******* like Christine Michael, :-D

He's Brandon Banks v2 (Bigger and Stronger Edition) for an OC who grew up in the house hold he did. Got to think Kyle has some ideas in mind for Thompson.

We missed Helu in the passing game last season and this guy looks a great compliment as well as depth, should both be healthy at the same time...

The board has been after a Chris Thompson type player for some time now, but I think Reed is the guy that is going to take the O over the top. By mid season if Garcon is healthy I don't think Reed will be coverable and keep us under 10 yrds a down in the run game. Gonna be fun to watch, however it shakes out.

At times growing up there were times you'd watch a Mike Shanahan team and think they're unstoppable. We got glimpses last season, this year I think it becomes the norm. I hope we're gracious as we hand out 50 point whuppings :ols:

Over the top to me means exactly what you wrote. Do you have NFLRewind? Watch the games against the panthers, falcons, steelers, 2nd game against the giants and 1st game against the eagles. Our Offense is not as dangerous as some of you think. Adding a chris thompson (If he turns in to a darren sproles like element) will really put this offense over the top.

Besides D-Coordinators have spent all offseason trying to stop the read option we can't just go in to the season without another wrinkle and expect the same production. You have to constantly add to a unit even if it's a stength or you become our defense (Good for so many years than putrid all of a sudden) lol.

It's siced homie lol... you're my hometown I see.

Are you guys trying to say Psyched or....

I didn't know what "cissed" was :ols: I seen syced, siced, and ciced, I have seen it as cissed before...

I love DMV slang :ols:

am I just too old to understand the "new fangled" language kids are speaking these days?

Over the top to me means exactly what you wrote.
'Over the top' to me means far more then the benefits I wrote about Thompson's adding to the offense.

Do you have NFLRewind? Watch the games against the panthers, falcons, steelers,

2nd game against the giants and 1st game against the eagles. Our Offense is not

as dangerous as some of you think. Adding a chris thompson (If he turns in to a

darren sproles like element) will really put this offense over the top.

Yes, I have NFL rewind but I don't need to re-watch those games to know the offense sputtered at times. But that does not change the facts about our still underrated production on offense.

But, I don't think the offense sputtered because of lack of an explosive 3rd down back. To my eye the offense sputtered because of injury (Garcon, Davis and to a lesser extent Aldrick Robinson and Josh Morgan) and lack of pass protection in the non-playaction passing (specifically RT Tyler Polumbus) and an overall consercative approach on 3rd downs (rightfully so, which helped limit Griffin's turnovers).

Besides D-Coordinators have spent all offseason trying to stop the read option we can't just go in to the season without another wrinkle and expect the same production. You have to constantly add to a unit even if it's a stength or you become our defense (Good for so many years than putrid all of a sudden) lol.
Regardless of whether or not DC have been trying to 'stop' the read-option. (If they could 'stop' the read option they would already be doing it). No one is saying we should head into the season without adding to the offense, that's absurd. And I hope people don't expect the same production as last year and you mention above. Last year was a rare and imo underappreciated high water mark that is a nice goal to strive for but should not be the expectation. (#1 rushing #4 in points #5 in yards #6 passing efficiency).

This offense is going to expand for several reasons regardless of the RB: health, chemistry, growth/development of Griffin, expansion of schemes and concepts, (hopefully) improved pass protection, development of receivers Hankerson, Morgan, Robinson and Reed.

Archived