Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7; Fun With Weapons; Chris Thompson Can Take Redskins Offense Over The Top

KCClybun

I don't know. Shanny doesn't really have a history of backs lasting long with him. Even TD and Portis left him (one retired, one was traded). Those are the two exceptions though. Look at everybody else and its full of one year wonders. Maybe I'm in my post-Caps loss mood where I'm doubting everything, but I just hope that Morris doesn't suffer a setback.
Maybe, but regardless of whether Mike's backs last long with him (open for argument I don't intend) his backs are productive and I don't see any reason barring injury to Morris/Griffin or the OL falling apart that would cause Morris production to suffer. I don't watch the Caps, but buck up mi compadre training camp approaches.

---------- Post added May-14th-2013 at 06:59 PM ----------

Amazing to see such a heated argument on a 5th round RB that has yet to play a single down.
Well this is extremeskins. But, not heated on my part just having a discussion about a new memeber of the Burgundy and Gold and his potential impact and the overall philosophy of the impact of back-up/change of pace RBs in general.

Well this is extremeskins. But, not heated on my part just having a discussion about a new memeber of the Burgundy and Gold and his potential impact and the overall philosophy of the impact of back-up/change of pace RBs in general.

Not meant as criticism, just an observation.

In years past we didn't know ****, who the QB would be, would would run the O, who would block the guy Rabach let through, all that kinda stuff. I guess it's a measure of success that this is where the debate is at today.

They were a top offense BEFORE Sproles got there. In fact their highwater mark was 2009 (pre-Sproles), when they were the #1 offense and you know like won the Super Bowl and stuff.

2009 Saints 403.8 yards per game 31.9 points per game prior to Darren Sproles! 2011 Saints after the addition of Darren Sproles 467.1 yards per game 34.2 points per game.

so their offense jumped up 63.30 yards per game and their points per game jumped 2.3 points per game yet you see no impact of Darren Sproles? You do realize how many games are decided in this league by 1 or 2 points? that 2.3 point increase is HUGE in the NFL. cmon I know you can't be as naive as you're sounding right now.

Impact as well doesn't just show up in the stat sheet. What I mean by this is when Darren Sproles is on the field you have to account for him or he will destroy you and if you do account for him other targets end up destroying you, that is impact.

Helu, Royster, Banks do not bring that. Helu (can't stay healthy and is just a straight line speed runner) , Royster (Is terrible at running the football and can't block look at the panthers game where he got blown up by the cornerback) , Banks ( fast and agile but goes down on first contact and cant catch) there were times where banks wasn't even accounted for by defenses he put no fear in their heart.

In comes Chris Thompson to take banks role on this team if anyone even thinks about playing thompson like they played banks this year he'll destroy you ask clemson.

At this point you're just arguing to argue because there is no one in their right mind who doesn't see the impact sproles has on that saints offense.

Hello? Thompson hasn't taken a snap in the NFL, therefore Hankerson, Robinson, Morgan have all shown more then Thompson and Thompson will come into camp as "Depth"

Who said anything about Thompson taking Hankerson Morgan or Robinson's spot? Or comparing Thompson to Hankerson Morgan or Robinson? they don't even play the same position. My argument was that those players have shown absolutely NOTHING and will more than likely be replaced next year or find themselves as depth. The proof in that is we were looking at WR prospects at #51, nothing screams "You're not getting the job done" than your team looking for your replacement at their first pick.

Its cool to disagree, there is no need to get all bent out of shape over it.

But I ask again what type of production do you expect from Thompson to quantify 'putting the offense over the top' is he gonna have Darren Sproles like production as a rookie? I'm asking but you seem to avoid having the discussion about quantifying the impact you think Thompson will have.

And are you gonna answer any of the questions I ask?

Nothing in my prior post had any vitriol for you to get the notion that I was getting bent out of shape lol but sure I can answer your question. I see Thompson serving as our version of Darren Sproles (If healthy). He'll be moved on the line of scrimmage, he'll catch a lot of passes in space (Like sproles) trying to get him on a mismatch with linebackers. He'll also have several opportunities at carries, maybe 5-10 a game.

I can't predict any stats because that would be impossible seeing as though we haven't even seen a preseason game yet.

Um what? We should all hope Thompson comes close to being the back that Reggie Bush was/is.

Reggie Bush (rookie season) 8 TDs 565 yds rushing 88 catches 742 yards receiving.

Its kinda hypocritical to pan Reggie Bush and praise Sproles. Its also hypocritical to praise Thompson for his potential to 'put the offense over the top' then turn around and pan a guy who has actually produced at the level you expect Thompson to produce.

You are all over the place bro.

Re-Read my bush post, i'm honestly thinking you're just going out of your way to argue.

Of course I would LOVE for thompson to have that production "Stat wise" but that wasn't my post, my post was "Chris thompson actually will stick his nose in to contact and run between the tackles unlike reggie bush who would look to take it to the sideline every chance he got."

My initial post was praising Thompson for surprisingly being a hard-nosed runner for his style because you don't find "Fast change of pace game breaker runners"who are willing to stick their nose in a pile and not shy away from running up the tackles, something reggie bush struggled with tremendously at the pro level before he went to miami.

Then you went on this tangent talking about "um what we should all hope thompson comes close to being the back reggie bush was" and recite his stats lmao that was not my argument bro.

Bottom line for me is this: I like Thompson but the way I understand this offense he'll be back-up complementary player. And imo those players cannot/do not put an offense 'over the top'.

For me its primary players like feature RBs, primary receivers (#1-3 WR, #1-2 TE) quality bookend OTs that have the ability to put an offense 'over the top'.

That's where I strongly disagree, Darren Sproles is not a feature RB and he still puts the saints offense over the top I gave you stats in the beginning to prove my point.

I'm not sure what you find so disagreeable about that.

And unless you answer the questions or give quantifiable expectations for 'putting the offense over the top' there really isn't much to discuss.

We can simply agree to disagree.

Answered your questions, your questions/statements are in red my answers are in white. haven't been on all day so I wasn't able to respond looking forward for your response. p.s I botched the response/quote badly i'm still new around here trying to get the hang of the response features.

Not meant as criticism, just an observation.

In years past we didn't know ****, who the QB would be, would would run the O, who would block the guy Rabach let through, all that kinda stuff. I guess it's a measure of success that this is where the debate is at today.

Lol. Good point.... Sounds like a much healthier debate. Would rather not have countless threads wondering who this years QB/RB would be. Next years QB/RB...

RE:Sproles

You are jumping all over the place.

Its a simple discussion point, you over state the impact of Sproles on the Saints offense and I pointed out that they were a top offense before Sproles.

My statement here:

They were a top offense BEFORE Sproles got there. In fact

their highwater mark was 2009 (pre-Sproles), when they were the #1 offense and

you know like won the Super Bowl and stuff.

Was in response to this statement you made:

If Darren Sproles was removed from the saints roster they would lose so much explosion from that offense. Sproles is the one player on that offense other than Graham that puts fear in defensive coordinators. You lose sproles and that offense becomes Brees and Graham (Colston doesn't scare me anymore) . 90% of the teams in the league would love to have a Darren Sproles element on their roster.

Point being is that even without Sproles the Saints had a top offense. Therefore when you remove Sproles from the Saints offense (like you said above) their offense will be fine because they were a top offense BEFORE he got there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE:Thompson's impact vs Hankerson, Morgan, Aldrick etc.

Who said anything about Thompson taking Hankerson Morgan or Robinson's spot? Or comparing Thompson to Hankerson Morgan or Robinson? they don't even play the

same position. My argument was that those players have shown absolutely NOTHING

and will more than likely be replaced next year or find themselves as depth. The

proof in that is we were looking at WR prospects at #51, nothing screams "You're

not getting the job done" than your team looking for your replacement at their

first pick.

Lol, dude the only person that mentioned anything about Thompson taking a WR spot is YOU.

My post was in response to the statement you made below: (did you already forget?) you said this:

...you fail to realize you can't expand if you don't have the explosive play makers to accomplish that. Hankerson (Average still needs work and not a play maker) Morgan (Average yet very consistent and not a play maker ) Robinson (is a super fast player however only straight line speed and yet makes NO play maker like impact on the field currently).
and this:
What have Hankerson, Morgan or Alderick Robinson showed you?.... and hankerson will become "Depth".
You are claiming that Thompson, who had yet to play a snap, is going to have a greater impact then those players above. And you seemed to look down on Hankerson as a 'depth' player. Which is hypocritical because Thompson, the player you are touting as the savior of the offense, is a DEPTH player himself. And to answer your questoin what has Hankerson, Morgan and Robinson shown me? Hankerson's shown me 38 catches 543 3 TDs 14.3 YPC (25 1st downs) and the potential for more. Morgan has shown me 48 catches 510 yards 2 TDs (29 1st downs) he showed toughness to go over the middle, the ability to make the tough catch, and the ability to play through injury. Robinson had shown me 11 catches on only 19 targets 237 yards 3 TDs a sick 21.5 YPC! Robinson has shown me big play vertical threat.

So, if Thompson is gonna have a greater impact then these players, much less take the offense 'over the top' put a number to his production. What type of stats support 'taking the offense over the top'?

Look it, I get that you like Thompson, I like him too. But if he is gonna take this offense 'over the top' quantify what you expect so I can see where you are coming from. B/c right now your arguments amounts to bagging on current players from (Helu, Royster, Hankerson, Morgan, Robinson etc) and saying that Thompson,has yet to take a snap in the NFL, is awesome and is already gonna have more of an impact then several players currently on the team.

It is nice to have a 3rd down back like Sproles a back that turn a dump-off or checkdown into a 1st down or big gain. But the reason its nice to have a RB that can make plays in space is because the defense doesn't account for them. Defenses are designed to allow checkdown/dump-off passes because they are busy defending the primary options in the passing game (WRs #1-3,, TEs #1-2 etc) downfield.

RE:Sproles

You are jumping all over the place.

Its a simple discussion point, you over state the impact of Sproles on the Saints offense and I pointed out that they were a top offense before Sproles.

My statement here:

Was in response to this statement you made:

Point being is that even without Sproles the Saints had a top offense. Therefore when you remove Sproles from the Saints offense (like you said above) their offense will be fine because they were a top offense BEFORE he got there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE:Thompson's impact vs Hankerson, Morgan, Aldrick etc.

Lol, no other then you above said anything about Thompson taking a WR spot.

My post was in response to the statement you made below: (did you already forget?) you said this: and this:

You are claiming that Thompson, who had yet to play a snap, is going to have a greater impact then those players above. And you seemed to look down on Hankerson as a 'depth' player. Which is hypocritical because Thompson, the player you are touting as the savior of the offense, is a DEPTH player himself. And to answer your questoin what has Hankerson, Morgan and Robinson shown me? Hankerson's shown me 38 catches 543 3 TDs 14.3 YPC (25 1st downs) and the potential for more. Morgan has shown me 48 catches 510 yards 2 TDs (29 1st downs) he showed toughness to go over the middle, the ability to make the tough catch, and the ability to play through injury. Robinson had shown me 11 catches on only 19 targets 237 yards 3 TDs a sick 21.5 YPC! Robinson has shown me big play vertical threat.

So, if Thompson is gonna have a greater impact then these players, much less take the offense 'over the top' put a number to his production. What type of stats support 'taking the offense over the top'?

Look it, I get that you like Thompson, I like him too. But if he is gonna take this offense 'over the top' quantify what you expect so I can see where you are coming from. B/c right now your arguments amounts to bagging on current players from (Helu, Royster, Hankerson, Morgan, Robinson etc) and saying that Thompson,has yet to take a snap in the NFL, is awesome and is already gonna have more of an impact then several players currently on the team.

It is nice to have a 3rd down back like Sproles a back that turn a dump-off or checkdown into a 1st down or big gain. But the reason its nice to have a RB that can make plays in space is because the defense doesn't account for them. Defenses are designed to allow checkdown/dump-off passes because they are busy defending the primary options in the passing game (WRs #1-3,, TEs #1-2 etc) downfield.

You're saying i'm "Overstating the impact of Darren Sproles" a guy who has the most all time yards in the history of the NFL from the line of scrimmage in a season and he's only a 3rd down back. A guy who was rated in the top 100 players as ONLY a 3rd down back? lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl-NH8tGMvY

The saints offense jumped 67 yards and 2.3 points with Darren sproles let me put that in to context we finished #5 total offense with 383.2 yards a game with a 63 yard jump we would be the #1 offense in the league at 446 yards a game. We finished #4 in points per game at 27.3 with a 2.3 point jump we would have finished #3 in offense with a 29.6ppg Denver is #2 at 30.1ppg.

So I think it's you who is downplaying sproles impact. Sure New orleans was a very good offense before Sproles heck we're a good offense without a sproles element but you would be naive to think the offense wouldn't suffer without sproles in new orleans the numbers show it. And you would be a fool to think our offense wouldn't be DRASTICALLY improved with a sproles element.

On to another I only brought up hankerson helu royster robinson and morgan because you said an offense can improve just off continuity which is true to a degree but there's fallacy's in that notion because you also have to have talent to improve and none of those players I named are talents that you tell yourself "I don't need to look for a replacement"

Ok now so I can't salivate over potential and what a player can bring over what we have because he hasn't played a snap? Yet people have been salivating over rambo and prior to rambo people were salivating over RG3 before he took a snap.

Now you're just being petty, every fan from every fan base salivates over a new prospect and what a prospect can bring to our team. Thompson brings what our roster lacks on offense "Playmaker ability" he slipped to the 5th round due to injury it had nothing to do with playing capabilities, if Thompson never gets hurt he's a 2nd-3rd round pick EASILY.

I think Thompson will have a tremendous impact if he is healthy he is a mismatch nightmare and kyle shanahan is the KING at exploiting mismatches.

Like I said I can't put stats to his impact I can't just throw out numbers before I even see a preseason game that's idiotic. His impact wont only be in stats anyways it will spread defenses out because he's another threat teams have to worry about.

Yes, they rolled the dice and I am thinking they get lucky with two, to be seen which two. My gut tells me that they do their homework and there is a greater chance all three make it over just one.

Out of the three I have the best feelings about Thompson and Reed. If Jamison makes the cut all the better. Though I'm not to crazy about him taking #47. To me that will always be Cooley's number.:mad:

Like I said I can't put stats to his impact I can't just throw out numbers before I even see a preseason game that's idiotic.
To use your own word how would giving your projections for Thompson's impact be any less idiotic then any of the claims you've made about his impact?

The difference is for whatever reason despite your claims and boasts about his potential impact you won't quantify them.

wont only be in stats anyways it will spread defenses out because he's another threat teams have to worry about.
By and large teams don't gameplan to stop 3rd down backs they gameplan to stop the other weapons around them which allows good 3rd down backs a space to make plays.

But, I guess I'll go back to being a fool now.

To use your own word how would giving your projections for Thompson's impact be any less idiotic then any of the claims you've made about his impact?

The difference is for whatever reason despite your claims and boasts about his potential impact you won't quantify them.

By and large teams don't gameplan to stop 3rd down backs they gameplan to stop the other weapons around them which allows good 3rd down backs a space to make plays.

But, I guess I'll go back to being a fool now.

Like I've stated before I don't make projections "Stats" on players until I see how they are used in preseason. So if you would like for me to give you stats to show impact of Chris Thompson after he gets some preseason reps i'm more than happy to do that.

Some of the most insiders of insiders on extremeskins don't even know how Thompson will be utilized but you want me to predict stats? relax, as the presason games are played i'll be able to give you my projections.

Teams gameplan for sproles and CJ Spiller and that's a fact, so your view on 3rd down backs having hardly any impact is flawed.

Here's a 3rd round back who never panned out due to chronic injury issues but was electrifying early on in his career, Felix Jones.

Year 2010 16 GP 185 attempts 800 rushing yards 48 receptions 450 yards.

Like I've stated before a 3rd down back can be dangerous if you use him right, it's up to your coaching staff to use him accordingly.

Calm down we're having a healthy discussion no reason to call yourself a fool bro lol

If I'm Kyle Shanahan, having all of these guys coming aboard with the ones already here is probably like coming down the steps on Christmas morning, with freshly baked sugar cookies on the table and tons of presents. With the type of guys we now have, there is literally no type of offense/playcall/formation that we can't run, and run to perfection. May God have mercy on every DC's soul.

The saints offense jumped 67 yards and 2.3 points with Darren sproles let me put that in to context we finished #5 total offense with 383.2 yards a game with a 63 yard jump we would be the #1 offense in the league at 446 yards a game. We finished #4 in points per game at 27.3 with a 2.3 point jump we would have finished #3 in offense with a 29.6ppg Denver is #2 at 30.1ppg.

So I think it's you who is downplaying sproles impact. Sure New orleans was a very good offense before Sproles heck we're a good offense without a sproles element but you would be naive to think the offense wouldn't suffer without sproles in new orleans the numbers show it. And you would be a fool to think our offense wouldn't be DRASTICALLY improved with a sproles element.

I don't want to be putting words into darrelgreenie's mouth (so to speak) because I think he can fend for himself but I'll toss my two cents in as well.

darrelgreenie, nor anyone else is denying that Sproles makes New Orleans offense better. You claimed that without Sproles that offense loses its explosion. He simply stated that it is an explosive offense with or without him. Obviously it is more explosive with him, otherwise they wouldn't be paying him.

Repeating the fact that New Orlean's offensive stats increased by 67 yards/game and 2.3 points/game is great, but can't soley be attributed to Darren Sproles.

Darren Sproles joined the Saints in 2011. That was also Jimmy Graham's (the player you stated is the only other explosive player) second season in the league. This is important for many young players but especially for a player that only played one year of college football.

In 2010 Graham accounted for 356 yards and 5 TD's. In 2011 those numbers jumped to 1310 yards and 11 TD's. Those 6 extra touchdowns alone (not counting extra points) account for an additional 2.25 points per game. Nearly the increase you've attributed soley to Sproles.

Some of Graham's increased production may have been due to Sproles and vice versa. Regardless you're attributing a lot to Sproles without looking at the greater context of the situation.

For what it's worth Sproles missed 3 games in 2012 and New Orleans averaged 32.33 points per game while winning all 3. One of those games was vs. Atlanta (31-27). In the rematch (at Atlanta) in which Sproles played, the Saints lost 13-23.

I don't want to be putting words into darrelgreenie's mouth (so to speak) because I think he can fend for himself but I'll toss my two cents in as well.

darrelgreenie, nor anyone else is denying that Sproles makes New Orleans offense better. You claimed that without Sproles that offense loses its explosion. He simply stated that it is an explosive offense with or without him. Obviously it is more explosive with him, otherwise they wouldn't be paying him.

Repeating the fact that New Orlean's offensive stats increased by 67 yards/game and 2.3 points/game is great, but can't soley be attributed to Darren Sproles.

Darren Sproles joined the Saints in 2011. That was also Jimmy Graham's (the player you stated is the only other explosive player) second season in the league. This is important for many young players but especially for a player that only played one year of college football.

In 2010 Graham accounted for 356 yards and 5 TD's. In 2011 those numbers jumped to 1310 yards and 11 TD's. Those 6 extra touchdowns alone (not counting extra points) account for an additional 2.25 points per game. Nearly the increase you've attributed soley to Sproles.

Some of Graham's increased production may have been due to Sproles and vice versa. Regardless you're attributing a lot to Sproles without looking at the greater context of the situation.

For what it's worth Sproles missed 3 games in 2012 and New Orleans averaged 32.33 points per game while winning all 3. One of those games was vs. Atlanta (31-27). In the rematch (at Atlanta) in which Sproles played, the Saints lost 13-23.

This is what I don't understand you stated " darrelgreenie nor anyone is denying that sproles makes new orleans offense better. You claimed that without sproles that offense loses it's explosion. He simply stated that it is an explosive offense with or without him. Obviously it is more explosive with him, otherwise they wouldn't be paying him"

THAT is my whole argument, check my posts that's what I've been arguing for days. I have stated the right change of pace back used the right way will put your offense over the top. The saints are a less explosive offense without sproles, I think where the disconnect is coming from is you both are thinking that I mean the saints offense will turn in to the Redskins 2009 roster when hunter the punter was an offensive contributor lmao. Because I stated "The saints offense loses it's explosion without sproles"

I should have worded that differently but my stance still stands and i'm glad you see my point that when sproles is hitting on all cylinders he takes the saints offense to another level.

I'll agree you can't pin point if the upwards trend in statistical production of offense is due to graham or sproles i'll admit that.

Sure the saints offense will still be dangerous but it's a whole different animal when darren sproles is hitting on all cylinders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYfsHPu5y1g

Could you imagine this in our offense? This is an element we have been lacking for YEARS and with Chris Thompson we might just have that if he can stay healthy.

Like I've stated before I don't make projections "Stats" on players until I see how they are used in preseason. So if you would like for me to give you stats to show impact of Chris Thompson after he gets some preseason reps i'm more than happy to do that.

Some of the most insiders of insiders on extremeskins don't even know how Thompson will be utilized but you want me to predict stats?

Scratching head. How is projection stats any different from projecting impact? The impact you jump up and down about is measured through production. All I am asking you is what you expect from Thompson or any 3rd down back to 'put the offense over the top'.
Teams gameplan for sproles and CJ Spiller and that's a fact, so your view on

3rd down backs having hardly any impact is flawed.

Um what? Where did I say 3rd down backs hardly have an impact? You seriously just fabricated that out of thin air, that is what makes this conversation with you so tedious. Look I like to have a football discussion as much as anyone. Often through the discussion insight is gained from a different view point. But, when it drifts off into this tedium its not worthwhile.

Also, defenses don't game plan to stop 3rd down backs. Defenses are designed to give up the dump-off or checkdown passes then rally to make the tackle. Defenses gameplan stop the primary weapons on offense. Its also precisely the reason that a 3rd down back that can make plays is a valueable weapon.

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 05:37 PM ----------

I'm gonna quote myself just in case my stance on Thompson becomes skewed through our back and forth.

And hopefully this will bring an end on my part to a rather pointless discussion.

I'm not sure what the OP means by taking the offense over the top.

But, when/if healthy Thompson adds an explosive element missing from the current RB group.

In the traditional passing game Chris's ability as a 'space' player can help turn a checkdown or screen into a big gain which should improve 3rd efficiency/3rd down conversion rate.

Kyle could also use Thompson as a match-up player in Pistol and Spread formation passing based on the personnel the defense uses to defend him DB vs LB.

In the running game Chris has a different enough (not to mention far more explosive) running style from Morris that a defense will be thrown off-balance by the change of pace.

Scratching head. How is projection stats any different from projecting impact? The impact you jump up and down about is measured through production. All I am asking you is what you expect from Thompson or any 3rd down back to 'put the offense over the top'.

Um what? Where did I say 3rd down backs hardly have an impact? You seriously just fabricated that out of thin air, that is what makes this conversation with you so tedious. Look I like to have a football discussion as much as anyone. Often through the discussion insight is gained from a different view point. But, when it drifts off into this tedium its not worthwhile.

Also, defenses don't game plan to stop 3rd down backs. Defenses are designed to give up the dump-off or checkdown passes then rally to make the tackle. Defenses gameplan stop the primary weapons on offense. Its also precisely the reason that a 3rd down back that can make plays is a valueable weapon.

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 05:37 PM ----------

I'm gonna quote myself just in case my stance on Thompson becomes skewed through our back and forth.

And hopefully this will bring an end on my part to a rather pointless discussion.

So everyone is in agreement including you with all the things Chris Thompson can do yet your gripe is because the OP put "He'll put the offense over the top" sounds like nitpicking if you ask me. But yea this argument is pointless everything you stated is exactly what i'm saying chris thompson can do looks like your initial gripe was the OP put "Can put the offense over the top".

Yes this argument is rather pointless. You're in agreement with all the things Thompson can do that the OP was saying though not worded to your liking but you don't like "He'll put the offense over the top". which is a pointless thing to go back and forth over because you didn't like the wording "he'll put the offense over the top" lmao

So everyone is in agreement including you with all the things Chris Thompson can do yet your gripe is because the OP put "He'll put the offense over the top" sounds like nitpicking if you ask me. But yea this argument is pointless everything you stated is exactly what i'm saying chris thompson can do looks like your initial gripe was the OP put "Can put the offense over the top".

Yes this argument is rather pointless. You're in agreement with all the things Thompson can do that the OP was saying though not worded to your liking but you don't like "He'll put the offense over the top". which is a pointless thing to go back and forth over because you didn't like the wording "he'll put the offense over the top" lmao

holy redundancy batman! ;)

I have no gripe.

The gripe began on your part when you wrote this:

I respectfully disagree with both of those statements extremely.

You disagreed with an obviously true statement: offenses get better as the team gains experience in the scheme.

And I don't even know what the other statement was that you extremely disagreed with.

---------- Post added May-15th-2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

I might be the only guy who still believes in Roy Helu. Watching his highlights in 2011 is a nice reminder of just how good he was.
No, I hear yah. I was a huge fan of Helu as runner/pass protector/receiver. I like his speed and efficiency of movement, not a lot of wasted jukes with Helu. But injuries can end a promising career quickly in the NFL. I'm gonna be rooting for the kid though. If he can return to the back he was 2 years ago he makes the RB stable a lot better.

Someone pointed out that Helu looked muscled up in the speed & conditioning footage on redskins.com. I finally saw clip and Helu looks like he's in good shape and was moving well (but then again they were only doing high leg kicks) but he looked healthy. And I forgot how big Helu is. He was standing beside Morris and made Morris look short.

No, I hear yah. I was a huge fan of Helu as runner/pass protector/receiver. I like his speed and efficiency of movement, not a lot of wasted jukes with Helu. But injuries can end a promising career quickly in the NFL. I'm gonna be rooting for the kid though. If he can return to the back he was 2 years ago he makes the RB stable a lot better.

Someone pointed out that Helu looked muscled up in the speed & conditioning footage on redskins.com. I finally saw clip and Helu looks like he's in good shape and was moving well (but then again they were only doing high leg kicks) but he looked healthy. And I forgot how big Helu is. He was standing beside Morris and made Morris look short.

Yeah, I really hope he can get healthy again and regain confidence in his health as well... I remember his rookie year he was shying away from contact a little and lost a lot of touches due to that, but then as he got more comfortable you saw just how talented he was. I'm hoping that's what happens with him during the preseason because, if so, we might just end up having an absolute monster of a RB depth chart.

Out of the three I have the best feelings about Thompson and Reed. If Jamison makes the cut all the better. Though I'm not to crazy about him taking #47. To me that will always be Cooley's number.:mad:

Agree about the players, but I don't think the number matters unless we have an injury and Cooley has to return. I think he is done here and well pretty much everywhere. His wheels looked no quicker when he came back tbh.

Agree about the players, but I don't think the number matters unless we have an injury and Cooley has to return. I think he is done here and well pretty much everywhere. His wheels looked no quicker when he came back tbh.

Really don't want to change the topic to Cooley, but I will say this: He's not the same Chris Cooley. But knowing he's available should an injury occur is a boon to our team. He was halfway decent in a limited role last year and can certainly be a better third TE if an injury or two occurs to our group.

Having said that, I think he's probably done as well. Having said that, if avoidable, I'd give Jamison something other than 47. After this year, 47 could become available... But I'd save it just in case. Cooley deserves that much I think :)

Yeah, I really hope he can get healthy again and regain confidence in his health as well... I remember his rookie year he was shying away from contact a little and lost a lot of touches due to that, but then as he got more comfortable you saw just how talented he was. I'm hoping that's what happens with him during the preseason because, if so, we might just end up having an absolute monster of a RB depth chart.
Same here, although I don't recall Helu shying away from contact (Royster at times? yeah I felt like he avoided contact) but I always saw Helu as a back willing to run hard through contact. Its one of the reasons I like him.

Really don't want to change the topic to Cooley, but I will say this: He's not the same Chris Cooley. But knowing he's available should an injury occur is a boon to our team. He was halfway decent in a limited role last year and can certainly be a better third TE if an injury or two occurs to our group.

Having said that, I think he's probably done as well. Having said that, if avoidable, I'd give Jamison something other than 47. After this year, 47 could become available... But I'd save it just in case. Cooley deserves that much I think :)

Yeah I agree with all that. We do we know for sure if that number is going to be used or not, and if it was just the rookie camp no.? I really am excited about the prospect of having Thompson full go. I think he can be a homerun hitter himself. The feedback from the FSU fans are he is small but tough as nails having played after back surgery and looked no different than before. I know he can't take the pounding and that is exactly what the FSU fans were saying that they used him wrongly there some of the times and when used correctly he looked great.

Archived