Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Haslett : Time For Him To Show Something ?

To what end? Who takes over?

Nah, it's got to happen in bf's off season.

If they do fire him I think Baker might be in line for the promotion.

- For one, he won't have a problem working here

- He'd have a chance to know the players already (I think he and Kerrigan are doing well together, Orakpo I'm not sure about)

- He's respected around the league

There was talk about him previously but I don't know if it was just fantalk or if there was anything behind it.

Firing Haslett at the break will shake things up and show this team there is actual accountability here. It will establish that mediocre will not be tolerated and that they will be next if things don't improve. It will also put into place another play caller who may be able to stop Ryan freaking Fitzpatrick when we need a stop. They might even not get torched by Eli Manning. Put Baker or Olivadotti In charge and give them a dress rehearsal for the rest of the season and see what's what. It's akin to having a faulty plug. If one device doesn't work in the plug, you get another device and plug it in. If it also doesn't work, you've isolated the problem and can begin to solve it.

Up above was a post stating how we are against the run and pass, but that we just never get sacks or turnovers. I'd add to that that our defense is giving up almost four TD's a game. We've faced one elite QB. We've let the likes of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Eli Manning, and a noodle armed Carson Palmer beat us. Please stop with the defense. Haslett is a terrible play caller and constantly puts too much pressure on our guys by putting them into positions where they can't succeed. He needs to go ASAP.

Why don't you tell me? You're the one making a claim about my position.

Shouldn't you know what my position before making a claim about it?

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I didn't make any claim on your position; i'm not sure where you saw it, but if you're referring to post # 696, I wasn't questioning you, it was a general statement saying I wonder how many have changed their opinion of him.

The 'greenie did it' comment afterwards [ see post 696 ] was a little humor referencing zoony's post regarding him being tired of seeing this thread.

Stop being so sensitive, its barely thursday...

Current Football Outsiders Defensive Efficiency Ratings

17th ranked defense

25th against the pass

7th against the run

DG,

Is there an easy way to figure out how many rush attempts vs. pass attempts against the D?

And how that relates to the average across the league?

Run D has been good, but I'm wondering if part of it is that teams don't really try to run against us much because the pass defense is pretty bad.

Also, and I KNOW this isn't s b-all start, but I said that I was going to judge the defense on PPG. And understand that the offense sand ST contribute with field position and turnovers. But through 6 games, they're giving up 27.7 PPG.

That's bad. I said id be happy with 24. Which would be about average.

It's not all on the defense. But they're not showing an ability to minimize bad situations, and keep points off the board regularly.

What the moron has done to this defense deserves nothing less than a good ole fashion hanging! But since nobody will see it my way, just send him home at the Bye. If this offense can return to 2012 form when Griffin returns, Defensive coaches would most likely line up to take this job next season. Who will turn down a fat paycheck from Mr Snyder and a chance to help this organization reach the ultimate goal? 

Dude, I have no idea what you are talking about.

I didn't make any claim on your position; i'm not sure where you saw it, but if you're referring to post # 696, I wasn't questioning you, it was a general statement saying I wonder how many have changed their opinion of him.

The 'greenie did it' comment afterwards [ see post 696 ] was a little humor referencing zoony's post regarding him being tired of seeing this thread.

I misread your post then.

My apologies.

DG,

Is there an easy way to figure out how many rush attempts vs. pass attempts against the D?

And how that relates to the average across the league?

Run D has been good, but I'm wondering if part of it is that teams don't really try to run against us much because the pass defense is pretty bad.

One of the reasons I look at FBO metric is because they account for so many variables.

Their quick summary:DVOA measures a team's efficiency by comparing success on every single play to a league average based on situation and opponent.

But its much more then that and its much easier to read it for yourself then for me to explain it; but there is no reason to be concerned about the factors you mention above when it comes to their DVOA metrics.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods

....through 6 games, they're giving up 27.7 PPG.

That's bad. I said id be happy with 24. Which would be about average.

It's not all on the defense. But they're not showing an ability to minimize bad situations, and keep points off the board regularly.

Yup the PPG is bad. PPG is one of the factors I mentioned in my post to Thinking skins when he asked why their is such a negative perception of the defense: http://es.redskins.com/topic/382538-wp-redskins’-3-4-defense-finally-built-to-jim-haslett’s-liking-is-capable-of-causing-havoc/?p=9986253

So we agree that the PPG is bad BUT the key point you gloss over is that PPG is a team stat not purely a defensive stat.

Football Outsiders defense metrics isolate the defense and doesn't punish the defense for pick 6 thrown by the QB or a blocked punt/fg etc.

My view of Haslett hasn't changed; losing Hall and Cofield hurt this defense a lot.

And Haslett isn't good enough to mask our personnel short comings.

Considering the talent level and injuries, I think Haslett is once again coaching about average.

His defenses will rarely be elite but they can be good IF the personnel is good.

Haslett can/should be upgraded from; thought so last offseason and wanted Wade Phillips.

But doesn't make sense to replace him during the season.

that would be "time for him to BE shown something"

no-1.gif

Time for him to show "us" his ASS hitting the door. We would show him the door. Stop interrupting me. 

"Haz stuck with me the whole time I was coming back from my injury."--Keenan today.  Let's all move Haz up a notch in our opinions.

One kindness can't forgive a career of ineptitude. 

Haslett on some tangible things the defense can improve on before Sunday. Couldn't get specifics because his answer? "everything"

YEH, like coaching them up?>

Archived