Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Bacarri Rambo

RemoveSnyder

I missed the discussion on Rambo when it came around the first time, and I didn't want to start a new thread.

But, I think it should be said that just because a player falls in the draft, especially a draft that was considered deep at Safety, doesn't in any mean they're a bad player.

First things first. Why did Rambo fall? Impossible to say for sure.

But, it was probably a combination of several factors.

Everything I'm saying is comparative to the other top Safeties in this class.

Bacarri is not a 'measurables' guy i.e. height/weight/speed/combine test numbers.

He didn't perform at the combine and his official 40 time is still unknown.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1632077

http://www.redandblack.com/sports/winners-and-losers-from-georgia-s-pro-day/article_72766e78-9287-11e2-a891-0019bb30f31a.html

Rambo is somewhere in the 4.59-4.66 range but then again pro-bowl/all-pro SAFJarius Byrd is only 4.68 guy.

Speed doesn't matter if a guy can play, but speed matters when ranking players compartively in the pre-draft process.

Also, there is the recent fascination with versatility at the SAF position.

Rambo played almost exclusively as a Cover 1/Cover 3 center field FS.

But, thankfully for us that fits our scheme exactly (unless Haslett/Morris plan a major scheme change) we play a lot of single high FS.

So, while Rambo's lack of scheme diversity might lower his draft status for many teams it makes him a better fit for our system, especially since center field FS are hard to find.

It should be mentioned here that when it comes to scheme fit:Rambo played under DC Kirk Olivadotti, former LB coach for the Redskins.

Then there is the off the field stuff.

In a nutshell of how/why Rambo may have 'fell':

Average measurables

Lack of scheme diversity

Off the field stuff

I thought it interesting that Shanahan thinks Rambo (and Thomas) can play both positions and that they were looking for that. Makes me wonder if Haslett felt forced to have the distinct safety roles due to personnel. I had no idea Rambo played under Olvidatti. Interesting. Did we not draft him sooner due to Kirk's input? Or might he have been I undrafted if we didn't have that input (input I'm assuming this team would trust Kirk on more than other teams would)?

Either way, I had a guy feeling we'd take Rambo or Thomas or Swearinger, and I'm "cissed*" we got two of them.

* seriously, what the heck is that?

Sorry to quote such a large block, but my phone kept messing with me.

Personally I am very excited about the way we executed the draft this year, hats off to the entire staff. It is my feeling that we have some of the best scouts in the business and Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan great vision and instincts when it comes to seeing the talent and skills players can bring to the team.

Coming into the draft I was personally pulling for us to take TJ McDonald with the 2nd round pick because of his size and his family lines to Tim McDonald a perennial pro-bowler with San Francisco and Arizona. I was also pulling for us to get Bicarri Rambo as well and couldn't be happier that he is going to be on the roster. He will be a great player for the Redskins.

Dave Amerson will be a great player for us and like most of us can't wait to see him perform.

I would like to say right now that it is my feeling that we could have our secondary problems solved now. With the combination of Richard Crawford, Chase Minnifield, David Amerson as cornerbacks along with the veterans EJ Biggers, D. Hall and Josh Wilson we have a solid competition that will yield us a younger group of corners when the season starts. Chase Minnifield will open some eyes when camp starts.

With the return of Brandon Merriweather, DJ Gomes, Bernstein, and the rookies Philip Thomas and Bicarri Rambo the Redskins should be excited about the prospects for the upcoming season and beyond. I believe our defense is going to make a serious jump up in the standing and stats in 2013 baby. Just can't wait to see us take off this season HTTR.

After suffering through almost 16 years of mediocrity and as a lifelong fan I couldn't be more stoked about the upcoming season.

Also I believe that we will finally see Phillip Merling live up to his 1st round status on the defensive line, He may be the biggest surprise of the training camp along with Chase Minnifield. :logo::logo::logo::logo:

It's probably a long shot, but I still think Tanard Jackson ends the season as our starter at FS, with Rambo coming in as support. I envision Rambo, Thomas, and Merriweather splitting time at the other safety position. There's no one we drafted that I feel can come in and play center field right away, outside of maybe Amerson. Amerson, though, has been told he'll be playing at CB exclusively. I suppose we could play a lot of Nickel and Dime coverages, especially considering our plethora of CBs, to mask our lack of a true FS.

It's probably a long shot' date=' but I still think Tanard Jackson ends the season as our starter at FS, with Rambo coming in as support. I envision Rambo, Thomas, and Merriweather splitting time at the other safety position. There's no one we drafted that I feel can come in and play center field right away, outside of maybe Amerson. Amerson, though, has been told he'll be playing at CB exclusively. I suppose we could play a lot of Nickel and Dime coverages, especially considering our plethora of CBs, to mask our lack of a true FS.[/quote']

I think counting on Tanard is a bad bet.

I don't think people realize that his suspension doesn't just automatically end and then he can come back. Hi return is contigent on being re-instated by the NFL. Who knows what shape Tanard is in, whether he's wasting him time just getting high, or how much desire he even has to keep playing football.

He can't be re-instated until after training camp, right before the regular season. We'll likely have to start a rook at free safety for that reason alone.

I'll take that criticism into consideration. Maybe I'm looking at the negatives, I guess I'm curious why a Safety the skins fans were so high about, drops to the 6th. I trust the evaluators opinions and there has to be other reasons than character. Lawrence Phillips makes our draft class look like the Brady bunch

Sure, like the so called "experts" have never been wrong (*Cough, Tom Brady, Cough*).

But seriously, you never know how things will turn out.

..Did we not draft him sooner due to Kirk's input? Or might he have been I undrafted if we didn't have that input (input I'm assuming this team would trust Kirk on more than other teams would)?
No way to know. But, I think we were lucky to get Rambo where we did. I think he would certainly get drafted if we didn't take him.

No way to know. But, I think we were lucky to get Rambo where we did. I think he would certainly get drafted if we didn't take him.

Thought I'd add my 2 cents to this discussion.

I'm fairly happy with the Rambo draft pick, as I do believe he presents fairly high upside for a 6th rounder. With that being said, I found it comical that ES fell in love with the guy and many of the prominent members were projecting him in the 2nd-3rd rd.

-I love his instincts, always seems to get near the ball

-I think he'll need to improve on the level of physicality he brings to the game at the NFL level

-Needs to improve on his tackling technique, doesn't square up enough, too many arm tackles, and doesn't get low

-I like him in single high, but in a defense that rotates it's safeties and plays S and S, not the traditional FS/SS, I question how he would perform in the box.

My expectations are that he'll make the roster as a backup for this year and next, but may push someone for that starting gig a few years down the line. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the 53 this year, with Pugh/Doughty/Merriweather/Thomas more or less locks, and the versatility of some of our corners.

My expectations are that he'll make the roster as a backup for this year and next, but may push someone for that starting gig a few years down the line. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't crack the 53 this year, with Pugh/Doughty/Merriweather/Thomas more or less locks, and the versatility of some of our corners.

I'd hardly call Pugh a lock. Merriweather's good, but his status is also uncertain as he has the injury history and we don't know how he will come back if he does in fact come back. Wouldn't surprise me to see him become another Jamaal Brown situation (not that I'm hoping for that, but its possible). Then you're left with Doughty and Thomas. Doughty is like the opposite of what you just described in Rambo - bless his heart but dude can't cover a lick. I agree that he makes it because of special teams though. Thomas is a rookie too though so we'll see.

Taking a step back since the draft, I realize that there's a reason that this guy dropped. Just like there was a reason that Kelly and Thomas dropped in 2008. Just like there's always a reason that people drop. Sometimes the players wind up being steals (Morris), but with picks this low, there is risk involved. And I really hope I can believe the brownie story and that we're not dealing with something that's a real problem. Because he could be a steal.

-I think he'll need to improve on the level of physicality he brings to the game at the NFL level

-Needs to improve on his tackling technique, doesn't square up enough, too many arm tackles, and doesn't get low

-I like him in single high, but in a defense that rotates it's safeties and plays S and S, not the traditional FS/SS, I question how he would perform in the box.

I pretty much agree with your assessment. My biggest issue with him are hopefully coachable: tackling angles and consistency with tackling form, pusuit and approach.

I think some of the other weak areas you mention aren't as much an issue because of our scheme.

I wish he was more physical, but I don't expect that to change I think that is more or less innate.

But, I don't the FS in this scheme needs to be very physical. Maddie Williams wasn't physical and Tanard Jackson imo was even less physical. And if history is more of a barometer then the offseason rhetoric (i've heard non-stop talk about this scheme having interchangeable SAFs) but the SAF really don't interchange very often since Haslett has been here. Typically we have our FS play deep 1/3 and our SS play near the box. And I think Rambo fits very well as a deep 1/3 SAF in this scheme (provided he can handle the responsibility).

I think the door is w i d e open for Rambo or Thomas to start at FS this year. For one we don't have a FS on this roster right now. And bar for performance is set very low: Maddie Williams. I actually wouldn't be surprised if a rookie starts very early this season, (by week 4). The reason why I say before week 4 instead of week 1 is because NFL coaches seems very hesitant to start rookies at FS and Rambo doesn't come in with a reputation for discipline.

I would be very surprised if Rambo doesn't make the team. I don't view him as a typical 6th round pick because of how thin we are at FS and because of the extraordinary depth in this SAF draft class.

I sent him the ST21 vids on twitter just to show him the expectations we (Skins fans) will have. In reality this is just my way to keep him motivated. When you watch the ST21 vids there is no way you can not be motivated to "work you ass off" especially an athlete

I sent him the ST21 vids on twitter just to show him the expectations we (Skins fans) will have. In reality this is just my way to keep him motivated. When you watch the ST21 vids there is no way you can not be motivated to "work you ass off" especially an athlete

I'll never forget the ST clip to "Thuggish Ruggish Bone."

Favorite part being, IIRC freddie mitchell, getting some various obvious gator arms when Taylor was about to wreck his ass.

---------- Post added May-16th-2013 at 01:38 PM ----------

I'd hardly call Pugh a lock.

Mainly going off what I've heard from coaches, usually when they talk that highly about a player they find a spot for them, ie Niles Paul.

Merriweather's good, but his status is also uncertain as he has the injury history and we don't know how he will come back if he does in fact come back. Wouldn't surprise me to see him become another Jamaal Brown situation (not that I'm hoping for that, but its possible).

Could be, I don't know enough about their respective injury histories to comment on it. Like you though, I certainly am not hoping for it.

Then you're left with Doughty and Thomas. Doughty is like the opposite of what you just described in Rambo - bless his heart but dude can't cover a lick. I agree that he makes it because of special teams though. Thomas is a rookie too though so we'll see.

Doughty makes it no matter what, dude came on strong at the end of last year. Ideal backup with his knowledge of the system.

Taking a step back since the draft, I realize that there's a reason that this guy dropped. Just like there was a reason that Kelly and Thomas dropped in 2008. Just like there's always a reason that people drop. Sometimes the players wind up being steals (Morris), but with picks this low, there is risk involved. And I really hope I can believe the brownie story and that we're not dealing with something that's a real problem. Because he could be a steal.

He certainly could be, and as I said I love the value he presented in the 6th. But to your point, in the end he is what he is, a 6th rounder which means there's risk.

I'll never forget the ST clip to "Thuggish Ruggish Bone."

Favorite part being, IIRC freddie mitchell, getting some various obvious gator arms when Taylor was about to wreck his ass.

no man I sent him the real deal stuff. Sean Taylor 2005,2006,2007 vids full of Big hits, forced fumbles I mean How many did he have in his career?, int's, and just flat out spectacular plays

no man I sent him the real deal stuff. Sean Taylor 2005,2006,2007 vids full of Big hits, forced fumbles I mean How many did he have in his career?, int's, and just flat out spectacular plays

That's what the thuggish ruggish bone clip was too man, you should check it out, if I find it later i'll post it. Great vid.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/redskins-email-report-excerpt-qa-with-bacarri-rambos-college-coach/article/2529886

Redskins Confidential

Redskins email report excerpt: Q&A with Bacarri Rambo’s college coach

Q: What are the Redskins getting in Bacarri Rambo?

A: I think they’re getting a guy that loves and respects football. He’s going to be somebody that will work very hard at becoming a really good player. He has a lot of skills he can use, but he’s not a guy who thinks he’s done developing. He knows he has to continue to work at getting better at the game for as long as he plays it. He has the right attitude. He’s always a guy who wants to learn and he’s a guy that will probably know what’s going on around him. He’ll probably help the other people on defense with the ability to communicate, make calls pre-snap and make calls during the play. He’ll help the secondary from that standpoint.

Q: Why is he such a good ballhawk?

A: Sometimes you don’t know why people do it. One of the reasons maybe is because he was a high school quarterback. He was a very good high school quarterback and they ran an option offense. From what I understand he was a dual-threat guy. He throws the ball well. He has a good feel for the passing game so he looks at it the way a quarterback would look at it. That’s why he’s a guy who in his career has always been around the ball. He really should be the all-time leading interception maker in the history of Georgia, but he had one that didn’t count in our bowl game. They didn’t review it for some reason but it [would have been] an interception. So it’s an unofficial stat.

Q: We know about the suspensions. What was your take on what happened and how did he respond to his troubles?

A: I just think it made him grow up a little bit. It made him realize what was really important in life and the way he handled it was awesome. He was a great teammate. He showed up to training camp and worked his tail off all summer. He practiced hard every day. Even though he knew he wasn’t going to play you wouldn’t have known that by watching him practice. In the meeting rooms he did not sit in a corner and mope. He sat up front and spoke. He helped prepare other guys who were going to play. It was hard for him on Friday nights to sit at home when the team left but he handled it right. He hung around with better people. He surrounded himself with people who supported what he wanted to do and that helped get him over that hump. I’m not concerned with it at this point. I think he’s ready to do what he’s supposed to do and he’s prepared to make himself a great pro.

Every Dawgs fan I've talked to says we got a beast. And the interview with Mark Richt helps me believe it. He's had some not-so-fun seasons trying to keep UGA alive(Gator fan here, lol), but he's very well-liked and respected here, so I'm glad he gives his stamp of approval.

Good grief, can the season start already?

Hail!

I'm fairly happy with the Rambo draft pick, as I do believe he presents fairly high upside for a 6th rounder. With that being said, I found it comical that ES fell in love with the guy and many of the prominent members were projecting him in the 2nd-3rd rd.

Don't disagree with your take on Rambo but Pugh and Doughty are far from locks considering how bad the unit was, they gotta show something or not get beat out, which would not be good either.

---------- Post added May-17th-2013 at 12:13 PM ----------

Every Dawgs fan I've talked to says we got a beast. And the interview with Mark Richt helps me believe it. He's had some not-so-fun seasons trying to keep UGA alive(Gator fan here, lol), but he's very well-liked and respected here, so I'm glad he gives his stamp of approval.

Good grief, can the season start already?

Hail!

As I said before I am a Georgia guy and he was a beast but he also had his moments of lapse in play, he tried the kill shot which we have seen before too many times. He needs to get stronger and tackle with fundamentals and not lead with the head.

Don't disagree with your take on Rambo but Pugh and Doughty are far from locks considering how bad the unit was, they gotta show something or not get beat out, which would not be good either.

Doughty scared the snot out of me all last season...didn't know how consistent he could be, if at all.

And knowing that Shanny ain't skeered to take a shot with a rookie(Alfred), we could see some gumption in our defense for a change.

Hail!

Archived