Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Suddenly, WR is on the Redskins Radar

E-Dog Night

http://sonofwashington.com/2013/04/25/suddenly-wr-is-on-the-redskins-radar/

WR-header.png

At first glance, the Redskins’ wide receiver situation looks set. Pierre Garcon and Josh Morgan were brought in at no small expense in 2012, and the early returns were mostly positive. Garcon was the big play threat the Redskins needed, and the team went 9-2 when he was in the lineup. Morgan was steady while playing through hand and ankle injuries that he stoically never said anything about.

Santana Moss’ declining numbers belie the very positive impact he had on the success of the team last season. He became Mr. Clutch: when the Redskins had a critical third down, it was often Moss whose number was called. The Redskins could have released him if they thought they could do better, but Moss is back after a contract restructure.

One of those oft-heard NFL axioms is that WRs break out in their third year in the league, and Leonard Hankerson seems primed to prove that true. Then there’s Aldrick Robinson, who blew by defenses for some of the biggest plays of the Redskins season.

That’s five guys right there, and Dezmon Briscoe has a hold on the sixth spot, for now. With needs throughout the secondary, OL and ILB, there’s no way the Redskins would take a wideout with their first pick in the draft…right?

Hold the phone....

Click link to continue reading

I think that WR is on the radar because Hankerson has not shown to be ready to breakout. Alligator arms, pulls up on plays, has not shown ready to take the big hits, and for his HUGE hands, still drops balls where we smack ourselves in the head.

Maybe draft a WR will force him, or Robinson, or someone else to show up!

I think that WR is on the radar because Hankerson has not shown to be ready to breakout. Alligator arms, pulls up on plays, has not shown ready to take the big hits, and for his HUGE hands, still drops balls where we smack ourselves in the head.

They have to draft a reciever to start developing in case we don't retain Moss or Morgan next year

Yaaay! It only took one post to trash Hank. I swear, people act like we drafted the guy with the 3rd overall pick. Give the man one more season to show what he has. Believe it or not, he was actually a valuable player for us last season.

Personally, I'd rather have Wheaton, but I like both guys. I trust our FO. If they go WR at 51, I won't be disappointed at all. Our drafts have been pretty damn good since Shanallen took over, and I look for that trend to continue. Hail.

I agree with the part that he might not be ready to break out. I don't know what, exactly, I'm basing that on, other than a gut feeling from having watched more football than any sane person not directly associated with the NFL should.

I just don't get the sense that he has the passion to go beyond that 500-700 yard range, although maybe he doesn't have to. Maybe he's just fine where he is and that's what he is.

For the record, Hank had 543 yards and three touchdowns, numbers that are better than Brandon Marshall (309 yards, two touchdowns) and Roddy White (446 yards, three touchdowns) had on their first full seasons in the NFL.

But what nobody seems to know is Hank actually had the least amount of dropped passes on the football team in 2012 with three, and had the third best catch percentage on the team at 69.1%, behind Morgan (69.6%) and Garcon (69.8%). He may not always look smooth catching the ball, but he has far fewer drops than people realize. I think it's a case of his earlier reputation being hard to shake.

If we do go WR in the 2nd, my money is on Wheaton because of speed, but also because of Senior Bowl where we seem to pull players from.

Really with BPA DB, WR, NT, ILB are likely all potential targets in the 2nd as each has good quality that will likely be available.

What's this 'sudden' thang?

As Conn said, it's been a constant topic with many. I personally think this draft will surprise and be offensive heavy. I think they fell they can make a run now under Roberts genius even with the lack of talent on defense.

It seemed to me that everyone was talking more about safety and CB than anything else. Of course we all talk about pretty much every position, especially on this site. My use of "suddenly" came just from a feeling I got from scouring every Redskins related tidbit on the internets, as is my wont. Between the Tweet leak of RG3 and Williams, and Shanny's comment about not reaching for a need position, I made a totally unscientific judgement that the chatter about the Redskins taking a WR with #51 has increased lately.

Yaaay! It only took one post to trash Hank. I swear, people act like we drafted the guy with the 3rd overall pick. Give the man one more season to show what he has. Believe it or not, he was actually a valuable player for us last season.

Personally, I'd rather have Wheaton, but I like both guys. I trust our FO. If they go WR at 51, I won't be disappointed at all. Our drafts have been pretty damn good since Shanallen took over, and I look for that trend to continue. Hail.

His draft position has nothing to do with it. He was valuable, but what I’ve seen is a lot of struggles as well. And while I root for the guy for the uniform, I guess I don’t see everyone’s positivity on him. I don’t know of one WR who has the tendency to be timid on catching the ball be successful…that’s all.

This SHOULD be the last year [ or less if unimpressed ] with Morgan and Hankerson.

Both need to step up their game in a big way or shown the door; this constant coddling and waiting for Hankerson to 'break out' has to come to a head, and may as well be this year.

If either gets hurt, then thats a sign its time to cut ties and move on; it starts to border the 'doing just enough to survive' mentality that some players have.

Seriously guys for those that want a WR please don't ever be GMs. We need DB, ILB, or RT help and if and only if none of those has a good grades when we pick but a suppose top receiver falls to us Mike might make a move. But right now its a very remote possibility and frankly I think if we pick one at 51.

And as for Hank, played a year after a major injury so I would not write him off just yet.

Seriously guys for those that want a WR please don't ever be GMs. We need DB, ILB, or RT help and if and only if none of those has a good grades when we pick but a suppose top receiver falls to us Mike might make a move. But right now its a very remote possibility and frankly I think if we pick one at 51.

Sounds like you're probably going to be shocked when we take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. We aren't taking a RT that high. Or an ILB. DB is the most likely, but there is a decent chance WR is the BPA.

Sounds like you're probably going to be shocked when we take a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round. We aren't taking a RT that high. Or an ILB. DB is the most likely, but there is a decent chance WR is the BPA.

I wouldn't be shocked in the 3rd but yes if we take a WR with our first pick I will be shocked and pissed. And I am a guy that applauded both the Cousins and Morris pick even though most everyone said we didn't need another QB or RB.

While I agree with the premise of the article, drafting best player available being a likely scenario, I don't think that WR is anywhere as much as a need as the article tries to lead you to believe. Pointing out Garcon and Morgan coming off injuries while not knowing what will come of Hankerson and Robinson, all while Moss not playing much longer can be said about almost any position on any team in the NFL. There are always injuries and questions of younger and older players. But you have to trust the evaluation process.

With that said, I am ALL ABOUT taking the best player available. Why reach for a player to merely fill a need who isn't as talented as another player who can add more to your team. Obviously, in higher rounds, you need to use judgement. But where the Redskins are picking, the only position they should take are QB and RB. And I only say RB because RBs flourish in the system so there is no need.

However, if there is a DB rated one or two points/slots lower than say one of the lesser positions of need like a WR, then go after the DB, particularly in the 2nd and 3rd round. But if the difference is significant than go BPA.

They have to draft a reciever to start developing in case we don't retain Moss or Morgan next year

Hank has been a disappointment but I give him a pass last season bc he spent most of the offseason recovering from hip surgery... This year is do or cut for him.... Morgan hasn't shown me anymore than what I expect Justin hunter to do... So if we draft a WR it's got to be right one

I wouldn't be shocked in the 3rd but yes if we take a WR with our first pick I will be shocked and pissed. And I am a guy that applauded both the Cousins and Morris pick even though most everyone said we didn't need another QB or RB.

Sounds like you're gonna be disappointed. I'd prepare yourself for the possibility of WR at 51. Only 3 WRs are off the board and there is still first round talent available.

As for us, this is Moss' last year, we all saw what happens when Garcon got hurt, Hank has been inconsistent, and the other guys haven't proved that much. When you get a guy like RG3, you give him all the tools you can. We've been looking to FA for defense and we still are.

If for some reason Hunter or Woods drops, they're likely to get scooped up by us. Even if they don't, Williams or Hopkins are possibilities.

I still see us trading down a bit though.

I personally hope we take Robert Woods if he is available with our number 51 pick. I know WR isnt the biggest of needs, but with our WRs injury history (ALL of them except Santana) and the depth at DB in this draft I think we should take a shot at him. I personally think he can be a Reggie Wayne type player, I think hes a stud. I think Lee at SC is obviously the better of the two, but thats like saying when fitz and bolden played together in zona that youd take fitz over anquan...of course but your not getting second rate when you get bolden. I think Woods is a special WR that isnt getting the love he deserves because he had Lee overshadowing him in terms of scouts affection. This kid is a stud and can come in and produce immediately. He is a precise and smooth route runner, and has GREAT hands...he does NOT drop passes (cough*HANK*cough) ever and IMHO can be a pro bowl caliber player...Ill take that in the second round. My opinion, I hope others share in this. We can draft quality depth on D in rounds 3-6

I am so sick of defending Hank, but the numbers speak for themselves, he is indeed entitled to this year.

Josh Morgan 48 510 10.6 32 2

Pierre Garcon 44 633 14.4 88 4

Santana Moss 41 573 14.0 77 8

Leonard Hankerson 38 543 14.3 68 3

Great article again SOW and seeing as Moss is getting to that point, Morgan will be a FA I could see the Skins grabbing a WR at #51 or otherwise.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

Hank has been a disappointment but I give him a pass last season bc he spent most of the offseason recovering from hip surgery... This year is do or cut for him.... Morgan hasn't shown me anymore than what I expect Justin hunter to do... So if we draft a WR it's got to be right one

Wow, just wow. Third most productive WR on the team, give the guy a break. Mike Shanahan I trust.

I hope they don't go WR with a high pick. It just seems like it's such an easy position to find a guy among undrafted/low round players. Practically every year, some WR bursts out of nowhere to produce huge numbers - Wes Welker, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, Marques Colston, Victor Cruz, etc. We definitely have greater needs elsewhere.

How easily we forget the last time we drafted a WR in second round, we selected 2 WRs - Thomas and Kelly. We all know how that turned out. IT IS a different regime, but Redskins haven't had luck with WRs in the draft (i.e. Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, etc.)

Archived