Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW | Suddenly, WR is on the Redskins Radar

E-Dog Night

If we go BPA so be it. But I don't agree with the argument that we should be aiming for a WR. Garcon is a legitimate #1 and we have quite a few young guys developing. There are just too many other must-haves to fill to actively be pursuing a nice-to-have right now, especially without a first round pick.

As an aside, I really don't get the criticism aimed at Hankerson. He's a third round pick who is developing like a third round pick. Seven of the top ten receivers this year were first rounders. The others were Wes Welker and Vincent Jackson, who didn't break out until their fourth year, and Brandon Marshall who didn't break out until his second.

So on the rare occasion a mid-rounder eventually breaks out and becomes a top-tier WR, but most of them become solid second or third WRs, and that's fine. Hankerson is already productive enough to be that, and he's only going into his second full season. I think some of you need to seriously dial down your expectations.

Why is everyone assuming this is Moss' last year? I know that he's getting up in age, but he led the team in TD's and his avg per catch was nearly identical to our "big play guy" in Garcon. Plus he hasn't really been injury ridden or anything--he's missed 4 games total over the past 5 seasons.

I'm not even saying this changes how we draft, I just find it odd that so many are assuming he's "done"--i haven't seen his skill set diminish enough to assume that. If anything, last year was more like the Santana of old with the speed and quickness he gained from losing some weight.

Why is everybody giving up on Hank already? He's had ONE full season and NO full offseasons, with the lockout and his hip Injury. On top of that he was a project player drafted in the 3rd round. And he still performed well last year with nearly 550 yds and 3 Tds. It's like you guys expect every player we draft to perform at a pro bowl level immediately.

That being said, I would love a guy like Terrence Williams or Wheaton. But in the end BPA is the bet approach, in Shanny I trust.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 10:28 AM ----------

If we go BPA so be it. But I don't agree with the argument that we should be aiming for a WR. Garcon is a legitimate #1 and we have quite a few young guys developing. There are just too many other must-haves to fill to actively be pursuing a nice-to-have right now, especially without a first round pick.

As an aside, I really don't get the criticism aimed at Hankerson. He's a third round pick who is developing like a third round pick. Seven of the top ten receivers this year were first rounders. The others were Wes Welker and Vincent Jackson, who didn't break out until their fourth year, and Brandon Marshall who didn't break out until his second.

So on the rare occasion a mid-rounder eventually breaks out and becomes a top-tier WR, but most of them become solid second or third WRs, and that's fine. Hankerson is already productive enough to be that, and he's only going into his second full season. I think some of you need to seriously dial down your expectations.

No! He either recieves for 1000 yards, or we cut him. *sarcasm*

My general thought is that we should come out of Rounds 2 - 4 with a CB, a Safety, and a WR. I don't care HOW we go about it.

Each round, take the highest rated pick that's left from one of those positions and then mark that position off. Do the same thing the following two rounds to get all three.

Would love Allen in the 2nd, Williams in the 3rd, or Dobson in the 4th as the WR option.

This is not with a notion of "giving up on Hank" in my mind. He made strides last year, and this is that potential "break out" year for a WR. I see him as part of the equation going forward. But we're potentially losing Morgan AND Moss...which is our #2 and #3. Hank stepping up AND a new WR back fills that.

If for some reason Hunter or Woods drops, they're likely to get scooped up by us. Even if they don't, Williams or Hopkins are possibilities.

Hopkins got drafted last night.

I still see us trading down a bit though.

If nobody falls that we like in the 2nd and we could somehow get two 3rds, then yeah. I'd be ok with getting a future 2014 3rd as well.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 12:21 PM ----------

I hope they don't go WR with a high pick. It just seems like it's such an easy position to find a guy among undrafted/low round players. Practically every year, some WR bursts out of nowhere to produce huge numbers - Wes Welker, Miles Austin, Pierre Garcon, Marques Colston, Victor Cruz, etc. We definitely have greater needs elsewhere.

Just saying, Garcon is really the only guy that isn't a slot receiver. Austin splits his time between out wide and the slot, but the rest are basically only slot guys. The Giants tried Cruz out wide for full games last year, and lost all of them. Colston is a gigantic slot receiver, but that's where he lines up and has the most success.

If you want a receiver who can split out wide, they likely aren't going to be UDFA or Low Rounders.

How easily we forget the last time we drafted a WR in second round, we selected 2 WRs - Thomas and Kelly. We all know how that turned out. IT IS a different regime, but Redskins haven't had luck with WRs in the draft (i.e. Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, etc.)

The failure of Thomas and Kelly shouldn't set the precedent that we should never draft receivers in the 2nd round. You included the reason in your post, and its because we have competent draft evaluators in charge of the team now. i myself wouldn't mind a receiver at 51, as long as it the best possible talent to be had at that position. Our team still needs an influx of talent- offense and defense. Secondary isn't the only issue this teams need to address.

Think about the future fellas.....in one/two years we will most likely only have Garcon & Hank (maybe Aldrick) as WRs that are on the roster right now. We could/will have the chance to get guys in FA and in next year’s draft, but the "need" is still there in the next 12 months. "Need" shouldn't mean this instant...that's what happens when you don't look toward the future (Vinny).

It also appears that Biggers, Minnifield and Crawford (if they perform) could be the only CBs from the group currently here in one/two years. That is why we "need" a CB (or two) in the next 12 months....NOT for just this season!

It appears (to everyone) that we have an immediate "need" at FS. I just hope the front office doesn't sacrifice "talent" for "need". We won 10 games with bad safety play last year. That does not mean you ignore the problem, but please don’t compound it by picking a lesser talent player because he plays a position you “need”. Fred Davis looks much better than D.Thomas & M.Kelly right now.

just my 2 cents.

Why is everybody giving up on Hank already? He's had ONE full season and NO full offseasons, with the lockout and his hip Injury. On top of that he was a project player drafted in the 3rd round. And he still performed well last year with nearly 550 yds and 3 Tds. It's like you guys expect every player we draft to perform at a pro bowl level immediately.

That being said, I would love a guy like Terrence Williams or Wheaton. But in the end BPA is the bet approach, in Shanny I trust.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 10:28 AM ----------

No! He either recieves for 1000 yards, or we cut him. *sarcasm*

Agreed, people dont understand that year one he barely got time, and when he did he got injured (no this doesn't mean he's injury prone)

This year was pretty much is "rookie" year. I would say no point in cutting him, just let him ride out the rest of his contract.

Also would like to see how many snaps Hankerson was in..during 2012/

Why is wanting a WR an automatic not believing in Hank? Say Hank blows up this year and Garcon stays healthy for the next few years. Moss is older and Morgan is a utility guy. We need another WR and a mid round pick needs a few years.

Sound reasoning there, moss still has something left, hank develops and a new guy comes in without immediate pressure

Think about the future fellas.....in one/two years we will most likely only have Garcon & Hank (maybe Aldrick) as WRs that are on the roster right now. We could/will have the chance to get guys in FA and in next year’s draft, but the "need" is still there in the next 12 months. "Need" shouldn't mean this instant...that's what happens when you don't look toward the future (Vinny).

It also appears that Biggers, Minnifield and Crawford (if they perform) could be the only CBs from the group currently here in one/two years. That is why we "need" a CB (or two) in the next 12 months....NOT for just this season!

It appears (to everyone) that we have an immediate "need" at FS. I just hope the front office doesn't sacrifice "talent" for "need". We won 10 games with bad safety play last year. That does not mean you ignore the problem, but please don’t compound it by picking a lesser talent player because he plays a position you “need”. Fred Davis looks much better than D.Thomas & M.Kelly right now.

just my 2 cents.

I would not be surprised to see the Skins upgrade safety after teams cut Vets in camp, we are that bad back there.

I would not be surprised to see the Skins upgrade safety after teams cut Vets in camp, we are that bad back there.

I agree.....there are vet contracts counting agaist our cap (top 51) right now that will not be on the roster by the start of the season. Polumbus, Trueblood, and Pashos are not all making this team. Not to mention Kehl, Golston, P.White, & Grossman are not locks either.

I personally hope we take Robert Woods if he is available with our number 51 pick.

He's also a class act. Great, unselfish teammate and LOVES to block. I would not be disappointed if we came away with him. Yes, I'm biased as an SC alum but the thought of him with RG3 makes me happy.

If we can't get Woods, I'd love to take a shot on Swope or Charles Johnson later in the draft.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 07:13 PM ----------

How easily we forget the last time we drafted a WR in second round, we selected 2 WRs - Thomas and Kelly. We all know how that turned out. IT IS a different regime, but Redskins haven't had luck with WRs in the draft (i.e. Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Taylor Jacobs, etc.)

People were saying this about taking a first round quarterback. How'd that work out again?

Sound reasoning there, moss still has something left, hank develops and a new guy comes in without immediate pressure

Isn't that exactly what the better teams do? Draft talent behind their starters, so when it's time for the starters contracts to explode, you've already got their replacement on the roster.

I'd be all for bringing in some veterans to play the back field if we can't get it done in the draft.

just my 2 cents.

Amen...good point abput winning 10 games with a bad secondary last year. Get the best player available at a position of need. RG lll will make it work....i'm dying for a 3rd down back with game breaking speed somewhere in this draft.....

He's also a class act. Great, unselfish teammate and LOVES to block. I would not be disappointed if we came away with him. Yes, I'm biased as an SC alum but the thought of him with RG3 makes me happy.

The same can be said for Terrance Williams and he knows how to get open, witness the last second end zone catch against Oklahoma.

If Woods is the guy you say he is, I will only be a little disappointed if they draft him instead of TWill.

how about the Texas a&m wr Swope? He ran a 4.34 40 wood be great to learn from Moss and someday take his place. More polished than the speedster we got from SMU last year.He is also 6"0 and about 202 to 205. i was also hopin the Redskins would take a look at Niles Davis rb from Arkansas, is a one step and hit it style of running back.v5"11 227 and ran a 4.39. has some injuries concerns but i was expecting him to available in the lat 5 rd, maybe 6th.but he was draft yesterday in the 3rd by the Cheifs i believe.oh well cant get them all even though i would like to. also does anyone believe we are going safety with the next pick? i felt the te could have waited.

I think WR was only "on the radar" because all the great prospects at S were going to be gone before the Redskins picked at #51, so fans convinced themselves that WR makes just as much sense, even if half those people seem to be questioning the choice of TE, despite the fact that in essence it will have the same impact.

While I get that people want a new RT, FS and a backup for when Fletcher leaves, its not just as easy as we have a need lets fill it with the best guy left, because thats how Vinny drafted. It makes you fall in love with guys who aren't that great to begin with. Guys like Swearinger and Rambo are not going to be pro bowlers at FS (swearinger isn't even a FS hes a SS) and a lot of the guys left after the first few picks in the 2nd round are going to take time to even turn into quality starters.

I do think they might look at WR eventually, since so many of the top prospects are still on the board, but I think they'll go BPA for the rest of the draft.

I am so sick of defending Hank, but the numbers speak for themselves, he is indeed entitled to this year.

Josh Morgan 48 510 10.6 32 2

Pierre Garcon 44 633 14.4 88 4

Santana Moss 41 573 14.0 77 8

Leonard Hankerson 38 543 14.3 68 3

Great article again SOW and seeing as Moss is getting to that point, Morgan will be a FA I could see the Skins grabbing a WR at #51 or otherwise.

---------- Post added April-26th-2013 at 09:26 AM ----------

Wow, just wow. Third most productive WR on the team, give the guy a break. Mike Shanahan I trust.

3rd most productive WR on this team isn't saying much... especially when we've got one of the most accurate QBs in the league... do you wake up Monday and read the stat line or do you actually watch the games? Because if you watched you'd notice the alligator arms and how easily Hank goes down... and when the ball is up for grabs, the DB is a better playmaker than he is...

Wow, just wow?! The 3rd most productive WR on the team?! Oh boy! Hall of Fame here he comes!

3rd most productive in the league is great. 3rd in the conference, heck 3rd in the division... but 3rd on the team? WIth those alligator arms and how he shies away from contact. SMH

Archived