Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aereo TV coming to DC

HOF44

You can get all of those channels free if you pay your cable company for Internet. Just plug the coax cable from your wall to the back of your tv. Only a complete idiot would pay for aero service.

I've tried that here and it seems they keep changing the QAM mapping so you have to run a search on your TV channel find if they have changed location since you last watched. Pain in the butt really.

I get locals just fine thru my Boxee for free....or a antenna(now if my Korean/Chinese and Spanish language skills didn't suck)

50+ channels

Aereo does offer the cloud recording like Boxee

You can get all of those channels free if you pay your cable company for Internet. They are unencrypted QAM channels. Just plug the coax cable from your wall to the back of your tv. Only a complete idiot would pay for aereo service.

Uh, no you can't.

Uh, no you can't.

I've been doing it for 8 years, so yes, you can. I only pay premium cable during football season to get espn and nfl network. It will work with traditional cable providers, not FiOS or uverse.

I use windows media center as a dvr and xbox360 as a media extender. It's a simple setup that's saved me thousands over the years.... But the downside is no premium channels. Well, I do get some premium channels but not in hd, and I'm a hd snob, so I don't watch them.

For the best picture quality, get an antenna... Uncompressed 1080p video... Can't beat it if you get good signal strength. Still, I prefer the convenience of cable

I've been doing it for 8 years, so yes, you can. I only pay premium cable during football season to get espn and nfl network. It will work with traditional cable providers, not FiOS or uverse.

I use windows media center as a dvr and xbox360 as a media extender. It's a simple setup that's saved me thousands over the years.... But the downside is no premium channels. Well, I do get some premium channels but not in hd, and I'm a hd snob, so I don't watch them.

For the best picture quality, get an antenna... Uncompressed 1080p video... Can't beat it if you get good signal strength. Still, I prefer the convenience of cable

Doesn't work with Comcast, so no you can't. Maybe with some cable low rent cable providers. It doesn't work with Comcast.

I would get this if they offered it in Los Angeles, and here's why.

Antenna is notoriously a $@^# in my area. We live 45+ miles away, with a number of hills in the way. I live in an apartment as well. There is no way I'm getting a good signal unless I put something 30 foot up in the air, unfortunately.

No doubt in my mind that at some point they will expand to Los Angeles.... (or someone else will fill in the market).

Doesn't work with Comcast, so no you can't. Maybe with some cable low rent cable providers. It doesn't work with Comcast.

Works great with time Warner. With Comcast you can pay like 9 bucks a month for it. They don't advertise it but you can ask for it, check greenbutton and avsforums.supposedly you have to do the same for time Warner, but you don't. It's unlocked if you pay for Internet.

Cable providers are obligated to make network channels available

actually it does. there was no use for us to have a box in the basement and now i can get all the over the air broadcast channels for free!

Isn't one of the perks that you can watch local channels for the area you pay for (in this case, DC) via internet when you're out of town?

That is an interesting idea, but unless you love the local news, couldnt you just watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. whereever youre at? I suppose you did outline a market that would actually like the service (those who like local news). I guess it would depend on the pricing, but Aereos seems like a rip-off to me. Not as much of a rip of as $120 for premium cable with hundreds of channels you dont care about, but still a rip-off. Maybe i'm just a cheapskate.

I don't want to give up locals for a network feed because I'd miss my skins games. I have cable going to 4 TV's and with the STB rentals it's just ridiculous. I'll be going Aereo with Apple TV on them all if the Aereo trial proves out it works as good as advertised.

Bunch of damn cheapskates.:ols::ols: Cut out some of that cellphone bill and you could have a decent TV lineup. (cue all the people who say they rarely watch TV and when they do, it's only education programs (lies) because their lives are so much more interesting and busier than everyone elses and they would rather read War and Peace type novels as it's beneath them to partake in mind numbing programming). :rolleyes::poke::snore::blahblah::yawnee:

That is an interesting idea, but unless you love the local news, couldnt you just watch ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, etc. whereever youre at? I suppose you did outline a market that would actually like the service (those who like local news). I guess it would depend on the pricing, but Aereos seems like a rip-off to me. Not as much of a rip of as $120 for premium cable with hundreds of channels you dont care about, but still a rip-off. Maybe i'm just a cheapskate.

If that is the case, it puts all of these sports packages in jeopardy. I'm not going to shell out $300 next year for NFL Sunday Ticket to watch 16 Redskins games if I can pay $8 a month and get the DC Fox and CBS stations online....

Ok, so its on the Washington Post online's front page now: http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/as-aereo-threatens-to-alter-tv-landscape-major-networks-promise-a-fight/2013/04/08/adc01b52-a077-11e2-be47-b44febada3a8_story.html?hpid=z1

I have to say, I don't get it.

You can't watch live TV on your TV with this, right? Its on phones and tablets?

You can't watch live TV on your TV with this, right? Its on phones and tablets?

It also includes a cloud HD DVR of 40 hours capacity, and you can watch things live if you wish in HD. Also for me I'm not able to receive all the OTA channels on an antenna because of location. This service essentially becomes a proxy antenna connection.

It will play on your TV either through a browser, Apple TV, or Roku Box.

I can't think of 40 hours worth of stuff to DVR from OTA networks.

Me neither, but I'm to the point I can get everything I want either through Netflix, HuluPlus, or on demand from my Apple TV. This, if it works as advertised will free me from cable TV. No more per box rentals etc. Wooohooo!

Archived