Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Aereo TV coming to DC

HOF44

question- whats the cheapest way to get internet?

i'm such a cheapskate, ive thought about canceling cable and i really dont need a home phone. but when i was looking into internet only deals, i couldnt really find one that was any good.

and, for whatever reason, my neighborhood hasnt allowed Fios to be installed. otherwise, i'd probably have that if only for the way the channel guide looks and is organized. comcasts channel guide if a friggin mess and looks like something produced on a 1980's texas instruments computer.

Like TSF said is it ok for TV antenna manufacturer's to make money and not pay the networks any of it? Also 2 courts have sided with Aereo so they must have some grounds to stand on.

Since they are saying they are offering the antenna not the content then it may not be different than antenna manufacturers. But antenna manufacturers and television makers are offering a product, not a monthly service. TV networks would not exist without TVs and antennae so it makes no sense to go after those groups, they all need each other to survive.

Recently another company, Aereokiller lost a court ruling in California for doing the exact same thing. From that article:

The Federal Communications Commission is currently considering whether companies like Aereo should have to pay broadcasters the same kind of fees cable companies do.

Which brings up a good point. If the cable companies have to pay to transfer the "free" network signals shouldn't Aereo?

Since they are saying they are offering the antenna not the content then it may not be different than antenna manufacturers. But antenna manufacturers and television makers are offering a product, not a monthly service. TV networks would not exist without TVs and antennae so it makes no sense to go after those groups, they all need each other to survive.

Recently another company, Aereokiller lost a court ruling in California for doing the exact same thing. From that article:

Which brings up a good point. If the cable companies have to pay to transfer the "free" network signals shouldn't Aereo?

Well we might as well forget it then. Once the lobbyist come to bear the TV and cable companies will get their way at consumer expense. ;)

The only real issue is if Aero TV was eliminating or replacing the OTA broadcaster's commercials. If they aren't doing that, wouldn't something like this likely broaden the scope of that revenue model?

I believe that DISH Network is the only major player in the pay TV market that allows subscribers to delete commercials ... and it is being sued for doing so.

Archived