Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES All Things Redskins Name Change Thread (Reboot Edition---Read New OP)

Alaskins

I'm sure it was filled with rational and well-thought-out points, and no hint of psuedo-outrage.

Olbermann is a tool.  

He followed it up well.  The next segment was a deeply thought out ditty on why parents shouldn't bring their kids to baseball games - or, if they do, shouldn't try and catch foul balls.

Well... Olbermann just went in on the Redskins name and compared it to the Confederate flag movement. About the first 7 minutes of the show were dedicated to both.

He bashed the redskins lawyer for not using the same arguments that he bashes Snyder for using.

The Redskins lawyer simply said that redskins is private speech. Olbermann just didn't get or ignore the fact that this is the big difference between the skins case, the Texas license plate case and sc / al taking the confederate flag down.

He called lone star dietz an identity thief.

In fairness, I do believe the judge asked the lawyers to review the confederate flag case.

Olberman tried to say that, while that was proposed, the lawyer for the Redskins in the trademark case said indirectly 'the word Redskins is offensive'. His point was not made, not even remotely. The Redskins lawyer cited a private speech defense, which even with Olberman's explanation did not in any way seem like indirectly implicating the word as offensive.

It was Olberman trying to create a self-fulfilled prophecy.

But, comparing the two seem to find they are polar opposites IMO. The native design was created by 'supposed' natives (I guess some will refute that). Nobody can deny it is not cartoonish or demeaning. The term absolutely had positive use as defined by Goodard's piece and the only academic piece on the word that could be viewed as unbiased (although race moners have called it another white man's attempt to distort history. Albeit, it is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institute).

The confederate flag has much less ambiguity. While it didn't mean 'slavery' alone, it clearly was a symbol that defended it. Further, it does act as a segregating, separatist tool. I don't know one person from the North that would ever fly that flag if they didn't support one of the two aforementioned affiliations. 

They really just need to do a reliable, all-out, poll for Native Americans only.  If it's greater than 30%, change it.

There's a reason there hasn't been a poll done since the Annenburg one. The people on the pro side don't need it. They can point to the poll and say, "See!" The people on the other side obviously believe the poll would go against their interests.

When I was at VOR, we actually hired a polling company to conduct a national poll for us prior to the Presidential elections. This company charged us less than 2,000 bucks to design and execute the poll. Now, does anyone believe that that amount of money is out of reach? That these millionaires, billionaires, and media types have no access to polling organizations? That the Post, the Times, ESPN, CNN, etc. isn't outfitted to conduct a poll all by themselves?

It would be easy, relatively cheap, and would give an answer that many want to hear. The only reason not to do it is that you fear the results. Conversely, Snyder to pay for a poll. People may doubt the results or say that the people he hired skewed them to please him, but he could. It might answer a question especially if he got one of the top groups like a Pew or a Gallup to conduct it. Still, it doesn't benefit him to conduct that poll. The group it benefits is the one calling for the name to go. It benefits them unless they already know the answer and it is not to their liking.

I can't in good conscience support keeping the name

I still love (actually just stuck with) this franchise tho. That won't ever change

Your handle name is "Brave on the Warpath", yet you have a problem with the name "Redskin". :rolleyes:

Do you even hear yourself?

Goddamn that was a douchey reply dude. Yeesh

Hit a nerve, did I?

Are the unconscionable ones among you getting to you? :)

Bro, are you serious right now? Why are you up my ass about it? I've been thinking about changing it but everyone knows me through that name so I haven't done it yet

I don't agree with the name anymore. Ok. Is that hurting you? Or the team? Hell no

I'm trying to understand your reasoning, Mr Warpath. That is all.

Seemed a bit hypocritical. :)

Why not?

I had a conversation with a mixed NA/African girl I met once. I was wearing a sweat shirt with the team name on it and she felt compelled to call me on it. I shrugged it off but then she brought up points that I couldn't ignore. I'm a black guy. How can I get so riled up about all the craziness that's been going on recently and then hypocritically not address the name issue? I'm sure everyone will think that's stupid/crazy whatever but I really don't care. Ppl are really offended by this thing. It's different to hear them on TV and then meet them in person.

And honestly, it's just a name. They are still the same team that I grew up with and play in a stadium down the street from me.

Flame on if you want.

Hit a nerve, did I?

Are the unconscionable ones among you getting to you? :)

I'm trying to understand your reasoning, Mr Warpath. That is all.

Seemed a bit hypocritical. :)

How is it hypocritical?

Explain please

Like holy ****, it's a name. That's it. Who cares?

80% of the Wizards fans I know hate their team name. Are they idiots too?

How is it hypocritical?

Explain please

Like holy ****, it's a name. That's it. Who cares?

80% of the Wizards fans I know hate their team name. Are they idiots too?

Because you say you can't "in good conscience" support "Redskins" anymore.

(I guess that means you think those of us who support the name have no conscience. LOL)

Yet your handle is "Brave on the Warpath".

If you are offended by one, you should be offended be the other.

Maybe you should do yourself a favor, and stop posting till you get your "offensive" handle changed. LOL

I had a conversation with a mixed NA/African girl I met once. I was wearing a sweat shirt with the team name on it and she felt compelled to call me on it. I shrugged it off but then she brought up points that I couldn't ignore. I'm a black guy. How can I get so riled up about all the craziness that's been going on recently and then hypocritically not address the name issue? I'm sure everyone will think that's stupid/crazy whatever but I really don't care. Ppl are really offended by this thing. It's different to hear them on TV and then meet them in person. .

Curious to know what issues she brought up. (doubtful it's nothing that hasn't been covered in this forum, but I'm always curious)

Because you say you can't "in good conscience" support "Redskins" anymore.

(I guess that means you think those of us who support the name have no conscience. LOL)

Yet your handle is "Brave on the Warpath".

If you are offended by one, you should be offended be the other.

Maybe you should do yourself a favor, and stop posting till you get your "offensive" handle changed. LOL

In about 4 posts, you've used about 6 smilies and the term "LOL" . You're clearly revved up and trying to disguise it with snark. Sorry but you're no Califan. Go ahead and get your meds refilled and go play in the corner my friend. I'm sure it's too early for your blood pressure to get going this much

Is this not a message board? Go ahead and disagree if you want but keep the corniness to yourself. Yeesh

And damn are you paranoid? Nobody is implying anything about anyone else. We are adults. I think we are old enough to think and act independently.

Oh wait hold on

:) :) :) LOL

Is that better?

In about 4 posts, you've used about 6 smilies and the term "LOL" . You're clearly revved up and trying to disguise it with snark. Sorry but you're no Califan. Go ahead and get your meds refilled and go play in the corner my friend. I'm sure it's too early for your blood pressure to get going this much

My blood pressure is fine. You are the one who got riled up when I pointed out your blatant hypocrisy. :)

You don't have any rational answer to my posts, so now you want to pretend I am "going off" and "acting crazy". LOL

A routine as old as the internet itself.

I'll leave you alone now, Mr. Conscience. :)

I had a conversation with a mixed NA/African girl I met once. I was wearing a sweat shirt with the team name on it and she felt compelled to call me on it. I shrugged it off but then she brought up points that I couldn't ignore. I'm a black guy. How can I get so riled up about all the craziness that's been going on recently and then hypocritically not address the name issue? I'm sure everyone will think that's stupid/crazy whatever but I really don't care. Ppl are really offended by this thing. It's different to hear them on TV and then meet them in person.

How can I get so riled up about all the craziness that's been going on recently and then hypocritically not address the name issue?

Granted, I'm now about to have an argument with a person who isn't here, (using you as a proxy for her), but did you consider, instead of "[getting] so riled up about all the craziness that's been going on recently and then hypocritically not address the name issue", you . . . .

1)  Get so riled up about what's going on, and

2)  Point out that there's nothing hypocritical about it? 

Point out to her why the two things (the Redskins and the Confederacy) are nowhere remotely the same? 

I assume that you are aware of the huge differences. 

For example, I'd be willing to bet you that she's never even heard that 90% of Natives say the name isn't offensive. 

I mean, if she's going to attack you for "not addressing the name", then that sounds like an invitation for you to address the name. 

(And you're right.  The people attacking you are being, let's say "less than polite".) 

I explained myself. It's like 3 posts up.

So that should be it. You think I'm a hypocrite. That's cool.

there really would have been no discussion had your first response been, "yea, it is hypocritical, I thought about changing it but just haven't got around to asking a mod"

Then again, people might not believe you, like if the name is really that offensive how could you keep looking at it? But don't worry about it, you know what's offensive and what's politically correct bull ****.

there really would have been no discussion had your first response been, "yea, it is hypocritical, I thought about changing it but just haven't got around to asking a mod"

Then again, people might not believe you, like if the name is really that offensive how could you keep looking at it? But don't worry about it, you know what's offensive and what's politically correct bull ****.

while I stand by everything I said in that other thread, I get why you were angry 3D. Getting ganged up on sucks

I surrender. I'm a terrible fan. :(

Archived