Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tyrann Mathieu with the 2nd/ Marcus Lattimore in the 4th

lovemaskins

Honestly Mathieu was NEVER going to be a top 10 pick. I'll take that 100 bet if you like. for reals $100 says mathieu lasts through the first. How much do you like your money??? :)

Considering I think playing the lottery is a colossal waste of money and I'm incredible with numbers, I'd still take that frigging bet. Any day and twice on Sundays. It only takes one team and confidence intervals and hypothesis tests say he'd likely slip in late first round. I'd take your money and put it on the Knicks to win five straight.

But to the previous poster, getting him in the third is a no brainer, wed be crazy not to take him there. I just don't think he'll be there. He seems to be a sure thing but the draft is still like casting lots, nothing is guaranteed. Did I mention he returns punts and kickoffs too. Runs a 4.45 and would like to play gunner on special teams. We did just lose Lorenzo Alexander. He could fill a lot of holes.

If he's the best CB there, then sure. But odds are there are going to be some better CBs still on the board when we're picking in the 3rd. If we even go S/CB

first, I am not sure there will b many cover corners better than him left at that point, but also remeber he would contribute as a kick returner and he is pretty ideal for a 3rd/4th corner, returner even occasional offensive snaps. . .i think third is about rght for him.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 01:31 AM ----------

Considering I think playing the lottery is a colossal waste of money and I'm incredible with numbers, I'd still take that frigging bet. Any day and twice on Sundays. It only takes one team and confidence intervals and hypothesis tests say he'd likely slip in late first round. I'd take your money and put it on the Knicks to win five straight.

But to the previous poster, getting him in the third is a no brainer, wed be crazy not to take him there. I just don't think he'll be there. He seems to be a sure thing but the draft is still like casting lots, nothing is guaranteed. Did I mention he returns punts and kickoffs too. Runs a 4.45 and would like to play gunner on special teams. We did just lose Lorenzo Alexander. He could fill a lot of holes.

If that logic is you being great with numbers. . . ok folks you heard it Mathieu lasts through the first this guy owes me 100!

No, what he's saying is that you don't understand our defense. The safety play you described is Cover 2, where each safety has deep 1/2. We run mostly Cover 1/Cover 3, with a single high safety. He either has the middle 1/3, with the corners taking the outside 1/3s (in Cover 3) or just the deep middle (Cover 1). Generally that safety is our free safety, and the strong safety plays in the box.

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

I realize we do not play cover two and understand the concept of single high, but I distinctly remember Haslett commenting on the responsibility of both safeties being able to adapt to the role of being the single high as the defensive call allows the defense to rotate or key on the strength of the offense without giving away the look. Now only few teams can actually get away with putting that kind of responsibility on the safety position, but we do. Maybe that's why we get toasted so much, but we expect either safety to back peddle and play the ball and not be Madieu Williams vs the Giants. I think Tyrann has shown that type of ability with the ball in the air, and could still play the monster man (underneath zone in the cover three) as we are usually in cover 3, D hall play man, NOOOO.

I wish I had the time you do to relax and research NFL prospects like the highly tooted scout you are. Alas, my responsibilities only allow me to pick and choose my few hobbies and watching game tape all day isn't one I'll admit.

Way too much douchebaggery in this post. Come on, dude. Step up your game.

Mathieu could be a steal if he is there in the 2nd for us. He has the potential to be a star. But what scares me most about him isnt his troubles with the cannabis, it is that he only put up 2 reps on bench at the combine. Its like come on dude, you had a whole year off, why where you not in the weight room preparing??? 2 reps, thats just not acceptable.....

first, I am not sure there will b many cover corners better than him left at that point, but also remeber he would contribute as a kick returner and he is pretty ideal for a 3rd/4th corner, returner even occasional offensive snaps. . .i think third is about rght for him.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 01:31 AM ----------

If that logic is you being great with numbers. . . ok folks you heard it Mathieu lasts through the first this guy owes me 100!

I agree with your point exactly. Any corner worth talent goes 1st to 2nd round. The tackles are going to go early, followed by the top 3 - 4 corners, next the pass rushers and a few linebackers. By the time we pick the playmakers will be slim to none. We'd have to take him there wouldn't we. We made the playoffs last year so were picking what, in the mid 50's right. That's way late for a starting corner/saefty, especially one as versatile as the honey badger. HIS NICKNAME IS THE FREAKING HONEY BADGER, he was making plays at LSU, SEC conference, and works out with Peterson (Cardinal's superstar corner who he lives wit) in the offseason. Dude's gonna be good.

I realize we do not play cover two and understand the concept of single high, but I distinctly remember Haslett commenting on the responsibility of both safeties being able to adapt to the role of being the single high as the defensive call allows the defense to rotate or key on the strength of the offense without giving away the look. Now only few teams can actually get away with putting that kind of responsibility on the safety position, but we do. Maybe that's why we get toasted so much, but we expect either safety to back peddle and play the ball and not be Madieu Williams vs the Giants. I think Tyrann has shown that type of ability with the ball in the air, and could still play the monster man (underneath zone in the cover three) as we are usually in cover 3, D hall play man, NOOOO.

First off, Mathieu isn't a safety, and doesn't play that. There are 5 or 6 safeties we can take to fill that role. No need to convert an undersized (5'9") corner to play either a high safety or in the box DB. Philip Thomas, Bacarri Rambo, and DJ Swearinger are three players I would take in an instant over Mathieu.

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 10:04 PM ----------

I agree with your point exactly. Any corner worth talent goes 1st to 2nd round. The tackles are going to go early, followed by the top 3 - 4 corners, next the pass rushers and a few linebackers. By the time we pick the playmakers will be slim to none. We'd have to take him there wouldn't we. We made the playoffs last year so were picking what, in the mid 50's right. That's way late for a starting corner/saefty, especially one as versatile as the honey badger. HIS NICKNAME IS THE FREAKING HONEY BADGER, he was making plays at LSU, SEC conference, and works out with Peterson (Cardinal's superstar corner who he lives wit) in the offseason. Dude's gonna be good.

There are 6-7 starting caliber CBs, and 6-7 starting caliber safeties in this draft. We'll have multiple players available to us better than Mathieu. And who really cares what his nickname is? If that's one of the criteria you use to draft someone, that really takes away from your credibility.

Way too much douchebaggery in this post. Come on, dude. Step up your game.

Dude, I'm sitting here analyzing normally consolidated and over consolidated soils using Casagrande method while carrying on a football discussion. Also taking Hydraulics, Transportation, Structure Analysis, and Surveying. Also married with two kids and work. Excuse me If I don't have enough time to watch 20 hours of college film a week.

NFL Network all evening keeps me well enough informed to know and understand what's happening. Which is how I know who Tyrann Mathieu is and why I think he should be drafted by the Redskins if he is still there in the 2nd round. Whoever gets him will be happy they did and if we pass on him for some scrub fans will be moaning and griping at how we passed up on him and talking about how he was projected a first round talent, front office should be fired, blah, blah, blah. I hear it every year.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 02:11 AM ----------

And who really cares what his nickname is? If that's one of the criteria you use to draft someone, that really takes away from your credibility.

You bet. Why else would you draft a player. A great nickname makes the man. RG3, Primetime, Meast, Megatron..... HONEY BADGERRRRRRRRRRRRR GROOOOWL........... RWRAAARRRRRRRRRR

Whoever gets him we be happy they did and if we pass on him for some scrub fans will moaning and griping at how we passed up on him and talking about how he was projected a first round talent, front office should be fired, blah, blah, blah. I hear it every year.

Blaine Gabbert?

I don't think the front office is concerned with fans moaning and griping about how whoever they didn't pick was a first round talent. There will be better players than Mathieu available at positions of need for us at 51. Like I said, Swearinger, Rambo, Thomas, and at least 3 others are all a better fit for us than him. Especially if you're thinking about turning him into a free safety.

Blaine Gabbert?

I don't think the front office is concerned with fans moaning and griping about how whoever they didn't pick was a first round talent. There will be better players than Mathieu available at positions of need for us at 51. Like I said, Swearinger, Rambo, Thomas, and at least 3 others are all a better fit for us than him. Especially if you're thinking about turning him into a free safety.

But will they be there? If not then what, a guard? Another linebacker?

But will they be there? If not then what, a guard? Another linebacker?

Yeah, at least one of them will be there. Specifically at least one of those three I mentioned will be.

Shoot, if you throw in the corners also, there will be a DB better than Mathieu available when our third rounder rolls around.

And Blaine Gabbert was never thought of as some great QB. Kind of like this years crop of qb's. No one really stands out. I don't think there will be a player left in the 2nd round more versatile who will most likely be a great slot corner, WHICH WE NEED, potentially be a 1 or probably a solid 2 corner. Could move to either safety position. Return kicks and punts, lord knows I'm tired of Brandon Banks now, and he won't be back, count on it. And he can play special teams i.e. GUNNER(Alexander is GONE BABY GONE). The only negative is he likes to hang with the "Alice in Wonderland" Caterpillar.

I can't decide which is the more outrageous post. The one saying Mathieu is going to be the next Ed Reed or the one where the nickname makes the man and we should draft players based on a good nickname lol craziness.

I'd take a chance on Mathieu but I'd have a hard time doing it before the 4th at best. Hopefully in that scenario we would trade down and have an extra 4th just in case. Just seems risky but I know he is a playmaker and has a nose for the ball.

I am rooting hard for Lattimore but the guy has a long road back and never looked to fully recover from his earlier knee trouble. If he goes undratfted I'd pick him up and put him on the practice squad to see how he comes back. I'd never spend a draft pick on him.

Analysis

Strengths

Feisty turnover machine who lines up outside, in the slot and at safety when needed. Instinctual player with very good read-and-react ability, always seems to work his way into position to make a play on the ball. Does whatever it takes to make a stop, fights through blocks using hands and quickness, goes low or high and doesn’t let up after initial contact. Brings enough force despite his size to get ballcarriers off balance with a glancing blow. Constantly rips at the ball while making a tackle or when others have secured the stop. Fights for jump balls with taller receivers downfield. Regularly used as a blitzer due to his feel, quickness and tenacity. Very good vision and short-area quickness as a punt returner, can make the first man miss and cut back effectively against the grain. Will go outside if the space is there but also slalom through traffic up the field when necessary. Also has balance and strength to get through arm tackles. Will also be a strong tackler on coverage units if required.

Weaknesses

Mathieu’s issues with substance abuse will be the primary focus of NFL teams whenever he decides to pursue a career in professional football. Possesses below-average size for the position. Usually brings down ball carriers of any size, NFL veterans might prove a bigger challenge. Quicker than fast, though his effort often masks average straight-line speed for his size. Must prove his ability to stay with larger receivers and tight end in man coverage, as they use their length advantage to separate and frame to shield him from the ball. Will take chances as a punt returner, grabbing the ball on a bounce or inside the 5-yard line.

NFL Comparison

Cortland Finnegan

Bottom Line

The 2011 Bednarik Award winner as the nation’s top defender was dismissed from LSU for multiple violations of team rules. Subsequently, he decided to enter a drug rehab center and ultimately ended up declaring for the draft instead of transferring. When on the field, the undersized but ultracompetitive turnover machine (six forced fumbles, two interceptions in 2011) brings the physicality of a bigger player in his tackles, no matter where he plays. Mathieu is also a game-changer as a punt returner, ranking fourth in the country last year with 16.2 yards per attempt and scoring two touchdowns.

PER NFL.com

Let me see If I can find more proof why he should be taken by us in the 2nd IF HE'S STILL THERE!!!!

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 02:40 AM ----------

I believe he also led the team in tackles.

A 5'9'' CB, converted to a hybrid safety, who also plays as a gunner on teams, eh? Almost as crazy as drafting players based on nicknames.

Entertaining thread though. You are definitely committed to your views, lol. I'm not sure why it pisses people off so much though, its not like you're drafting for the skins or anything.

A 5'9'' CB, converted to a hybrid safety, who also plays as a gunner on teams, eh? Almost as crazy as drafting players based on nicknames.

Entertaining thread though. You are definitely committed to your views, lol. I'm not sure why it pisses people off so much though, its not like you're drafting for the skins or anything.

Wrote a thread about, wanna hear it? Here it goes.....

If everyone wrote a mancrush thread how many threads would we have?

So let me get this straight, we need a starting FS, a future outside corner, and a healthy 3rd down back (because Helu sure as heck isn't), and with 2 of our first 3 picks in the draft you want the out of football for a year, drug test failing, meh combine having junior slot corner and the running back whose right knee exploded. Twice.

I guess if you got Rambo or another starting FS in the 3rd, you could say it was ok...but...

...Am I crazy.

Probably yes.

I don't know about you all, but I'd have at least 10 to myself. One for Wheaton, Swope, Rambo, Wolff, K. Williams, Taylor, Bakhtiari, Quessenberry, Escobar, and Geathers.

Wrote a thread about, wanna hear it? Here it goes.....

That's what being NNT'd is for. Why get worked up about someone else's mistakes? Sure way to die young ;p

Not really directed to you SWFL, some posters really come at threads like this with some vitriol, though. Like they are mods who have to deal with it. Maybe they enjoy the conflict, idk.

Although, by the same token....I'm not sure why this guy is so hellbent on convincing people he's not crazy. He freely admits to not having the time to do his own research, and basing his opinions on those of the NFL Network. Why defend borrowed opinions with such veracity? The human mind is quite the mystery.

Hi there?

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I think he's going to be a hell of a player and if he's there in the 2nd, I say take him. Now Lattimore and the knee, maybe a little more risky, okay, because a versatile ball hawk who only makes plays. You can't get enough guys like that on your team. We've been letting too many of those type players get away (Still mad about Ryan Clark) and keeping the likes of Adam Archuleta and now trying to get 48 year old Antoine Winfield. But I'm crazy for wanting a chip on his shoulder LSU tiger who can play five different positions on the 28th ranked defense (or something like that) who couldn't keep "ME" from getting deep. CMON MAN!!!!!!!

Archived