Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tyrann Mathieu with the 2nd/ Marcus Lattimore in the 4th

lovemaskins

Been watching a lot of NFL Network lately while pursuing this elusive engineering degree, and the more I watch the more I'm intrigued by Tyrann Mathieu and Marcus Lattimore. Considering we don't have a first round pick this year and need help badly in the secondary, Matthieu seems like the perfect corner/safety to come in our solid locker room with the likes of Fletcher, RG3, Hall, and Orakpo as leaders and develop into a Pro-bowl caliber safety/corner. And considering his off field trouble he may likely slide into the mid 2nd round and could be had if teams are scared away.

I also like Marcus Lattimore as a round 1 prospect who due to injury and devaluation of running backs in the NFL, could slide to us late in the draft, say 4th to 5th round, tho due to his great character I doubt he see the 5th round. I'm a believer in giving RG3 as many weapons as possible, and think Lattimore could be a game breaking running back to pair with our stud, with his speed and power, and his leg looks like it's getting healthy.

Am I crazy. Or are these risks worth the reward........

Thoughts??

Been watching a lot of NFL Network lately while pursuing this elusive engineering degree, and the more I watch the more I'm intrigued by Tyrann Mathieu and Marcus Lattimore. Considering we don't have a first round pick this year and need help badly in the secondary, Matthieu seems like the perfect corner/safety to come in our solid locker room with the likes of Fletcher, RG3, Hall, and Orakpo as leaders and develop into a Pro-bowl caliber safety/corner. And considering his off field trouble he may likely slide into the mid 2nd round and could be had if teams are scared away.

I also like Marcus Lattimore as a round 1 prospect who due to injury and devaluation of running backs in the NFL, could slide to us late in the draft, say 4th to 5th round, tho due to his great character I doubt he see the 5th round. I'm a believer in giving RG3 as many weapons as possible, and think Lattimore could be a game breaking running back to pair with our stud, with his speed and power, and his leg looks like it's getting healthy.

Am I crazy. Or are these risks worth the reward........

Thoughts??

Should have probably put this in that big giant Draft thread, and to answer no and maybe.. Mathieu in the 2nd for the Skins is a no and Lattimore could end up being very good again hard to project.

Matthieu seems like Ed Reed in the making, natural football instincts, plays the ball like a corner, sure tackler, good measurables, just liked to smoke the wacky..... I think he'd make a good Redskin and give our defense some more flavor and attitude.

I am personally not against getting Mathieu, I just don't think that management and Shanny would agree and I certainly don't think they'd use the 2nd to get him. You never know with those guys though last year when they picked Leribeus/Cousins it was a pretty big shock to most.

We have a few edgy guys on our roster now. Fred likes to smoke. Trent likes to smoke and punch people. Deangelo is just crazy. But we have great leadership in the locker room. And who would we get in a position of need better suited to our defense and with the ability of Mathieu in the 2nd round. And Lattimore is the lightning to Alfred's Thunder. I really think we need that break away back in our system. Alfred can't keep getting 25 - 30 carries a game. He'll be Marion Barber in three years.

Mathieu was never a round one pick. . .he isn't that great of a cover corner. He's a bit of a ball hawk, but doesn't stick with recievers that well, doesn't have eleite speed, and is short. So best case he was a round 2 pick. Then he took a year off due to smokin' too much and you STILL want to draft him in the second round? No, his risk is too high, his ceiling is too low. Lattimore is from my favorite college team, but he was never super fast or even super shifty, good vision and acceleration. MAJOR injury concern, not just the knee, but the due was always banged up. So no to him aswell in the 4th. Honestly i wouldn't mind both players just back off your projections a bit

3rd Mathieu

5th Lattimore.

I wouldn't want Mathieu in the 2nd but wouldn't mind with a later round pick

I doubt he'll be there later than the 2nd, I would bet 100 bucks he'll go first round, I'd say as high as 15.... And before the off field trouble he was projected a top 10 player at one time. The honey badger is the real deal between the lines people. I'm buying stock.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 12:25 AM ----------

Oh, I didn't know the OP has a copy of Shanny's draft board. A second on an DB that can only play slot and a guy who's knee is torn to shreds. Nice.

No need to be condescending bro, as the risk reward factor is the reason I posted the thread. I'm sure some people thought the same thing about Willis Magahee after he shredded his knee and he recovered.

And yes I do have a copy of the Shanahan's draft board as Shanahan is my brother's cousin on my mother's side. We do secret Santa at Christmas.

Yea, I forgot about Bernstein, the coaches were pretty high on him last year and expected him to shine. I'm just a fan of the way we're doing things as an organization now. Building through the draft and actually drafting hungry talented players. I want the guys with something to prove. And with D hall coming back, Wilson playing the 2 corner, Mathieu would be perfect in the slot and could eventually replace Hall or make to the move to Free safety and with his tackling ability I believe he could move to strong safety. He plays tough and will looking to make amends for his pot days and his versatility would be great in Haslett's defense. Remember we don't technically have a free safety or strong safety position. Our safeties are less traditional in their roles and are expected to play their side of the field with equal responsibility.

fyi for those who don't realize that.

Tyrann Mathieu is basically riding that stupid nickname of his to more hype than he's worth.

He's a slot corner who's a playmaker but also has some big holes in his game. He's undersized and will have a tough time matching up with bigger receivers in the slots. He takes poor angles and misses tackles, which makes him a bad fit at free safety. He's not great in the run game.

Mathieu is like NuDesmond Howard. Until he got suspended, he was having an incredible career and he was a playmaker in college, but his overall game does not bode well for him as an every down player, and that's what we need. He's not an every down safety, as a slot corner he may not be better than what we have? I certainly wouldn't spend a second round pick on him and a have a hard time thinking we'd spend even a late round pick on him.

Marcus Lattimore...the kid's story is unfortunate, but it's just as unlikely that we draft him in the 4th. I also don't think Lattimore was a first-round talent before his re-injure. More of a early to mid 2nd round guy.

Not interested in Lattimore in the least. Didn't LOVE him before the injuries, never saw him recover fully from the first knee injury, and obviously the second one leads to more doubt than ever.

Mathieu intrigues me in the 3rd or later, at most. Not the 2nd.

Remember we don't technically have a free safety or strong safety position. Our safeties are less traditional in their roles and are expected to play their side of the field with equal responsibility.

Uuuuhh...

1.) Yes we do.

2.) No, not really.

We don't run a whole lot of cover 2, which is what you're describing.

Tyrann Mathieu is basically riding that stupid nickname of his to more hype than he's worth.

He's a slot corner who's a playmaker but also has some big holes in his game. He's undersized and will have a tough time matching up with bigger receivers in the slots. He takes poor angles and misses tackles, which makes him a bad fit at free safety. He's not great in the run game.

Mathieu is like NuDesmond Howard. Until he got suspended, he was having an incredible career and he was a playmaker in college, but his overall game does not bode well for him as an every down player, and that's what we need. He's not an every down safety, as a slot corner he may not be better than what we have? I certainly wouldn't spend a second round pick on him and a have a hard time thinking we'd spend even a late round pick on him.

Soooo, who is better in OUR what, 28th - 30th ranked secondary. Have you forgotten so quickly what Reed Doughty or Madieu Williams looked like playing safety last year. Cedric Griffin wasn't that great either until he started using the juice. Who else do we have?????? Am I forgetting somebody, really? All I see is toast with butter and cream cheese. Grape jelly goes well with toast too. Tuna fish and toast, ummmmmmmmmmm.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 12:52 AM ----------

Uuuuhh...

1.) Yes we do.

2.) No, not really.

We don't run a whole lot of cover 2, which is what you're describing.

So, your saying we're suppose to, but don't, but we still shouldn't get one of the more versatile players at the position of arguably the greatest need. Not sure I follow your logic there. Is there another player better in the mid 2nd round to potentially be had. One poster said Williams, but I don't know much about him.

Soooo, who is better in OUR what, 28th - 30th ranked secondary. Have you forgotten so quickly what Reed Doughty or Madieu Williams looked like playing safety last year. Cedric Griffin wasn't that great either until he started using the juice. Who else do we have?????? Am I forgetting somebody, really? All I see is toast with butter and cream cheese. Grape jelly goes well with toast too. Tuna fish and toast, ummmmmmmmmmm.

There are a lot of better, all around corners available in the draft.

Darius Slay

D.J Hayden

Johnthan Banks

B.W Webb

Jordan Poyer

Robert Alford

Leon McFadden

Blidi Wreh-Wilson

I would take all of those guys before even thought about taking Mathieu.

And as for safeties

Bacarri Rambo

Rashad Hall

Josh Evans

Eric Reid

Phillip Thomas

D. J Swearinger

Off the top of my head I can name a bunch of guys who could come in and produce for our team faster and more efficiently than Mathieu. Because I don't just rely on what the NFL Network tells me is a good player, I actually do, like, research and stuff.

Cool, I'll have to do a little research on some of the names above. I seen film of a few of them, but not enough to make a reasonable commitment. I wish I had the time you do to relax and research NFL prospects like the highly tooted scout you are. Alas, my responsibilities only allow me to pick and choose my few hobbies and watching game tape all day isn't one I'll admit. But, I've seen enough of Tyrann to know a playmaker when I see one. I was one in the Orakpo camp, the Landry camp, and the Sean Taylor camp to name a few guys I wanted prior to drafting them. I played football and consider myself a junkie. I'm not Mike Shanahan but I know football.

Cool, I'll have to do a little research on some of the names above. I seen film of a few of them, but not enough to make a reasonable commitment. I wish I had the time you do to relax and research NFL prospects like the highly tooted scout you are. Alas, my responsibilities only allow me to pick and choose my few hobbies and watching game tape all day isn't one I'll admit. But, I've seen enough of Tyrann to know a playmaker when I see one. I was one in the Orakpo camp, the Landry camp, and the Sean Taylor camp to name a few guys I wanted prior to drafting them. I played football and consider myself a junkie. I'm not Mike Shanahan but I know football.

Honestly Mathieu was NEVER going to be a top 10 pick. I'll take that 100 bet if you like. for reals $100 says mathieu lasts through the first. How much do you like your money??? :)

So, your saying we're suppose to, but don't, but we still shouldn't get one of the more versatile players at the position of arguably the greatest need. Not sure I follow your logic there. Is there another player better in the mid 2nd round to potentially be had. One poster said Williams, but I don't know much about him.

No, what he's saying is that you don't understand our defense. The safety play you described is Cover 2, where each safety has deep 1/2. We run mostly Cover 1/Cover 3, with a single high safety. He either has the middle 1/3, with the corners taking the outside 1/3s (in Cover 3) or just the deep middle (Cover 1). Generally that safety is our free safety, and the strong safety plays in the box.

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 09:24 PM ----------

I want us to grab the Honey Badger badly. But I think he can be had in the 3rd. We need a Safety in the 2nd and the H.B. in the third. Spend the rest of the picks on BPA.

If he's the best CB there, then sure. But odds are there are going to be some better CBs still on the board when we're picking in the 3rd. If we even go S/CB

---------- Post added April-4th-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

I want us to grab the Honey Badger badly. But I think he can be had in the 3rd. We need a Safety in the 2nd and the H.B. in the third. Spend the rest of the picks on BPA.

If he's the best CB there, then sure. But odds are there are going to be some better CBs still on the board when we're picking in the 3rd. If we even go S/CB

Archived