Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Tyrann Mathieu with the 2nd/ Marcus Lattimore in the 4th

lovemaskins

This is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I think he's going to be a hell of a player and if he's there in the 2nd, I say take him. Now Lattimore and the knee, maybe a little more risky, okay, because a versatile ball hawk who only makes plays. You can't get enough guys like that on your team. We've been letting too many of those type players get away (Still mad about Ryan Clark) and keeping the likes of Adam Archuleta and now trying to get 48 year old Antoine Winfield. But I'm crazy for wanting a chip on his shoulder LSU tiger who can play five different positions on the 28th ranked defense (or something like that) who couldn't keep "ME" from getting deep. CMON MAN!!!!!!!

That's Swearinger. Only Swearinger is actually a safety (shocker!) so we wouldn't have to teach him any new techniques. Even better, Swearinger actually has good size.

I never said he was Ryan Clark. I said he has the potential to be an Ed Reed like, which I admit is a stretch, but you never know. But if he's ends up being Courtland Finnegan as the scouts are predicting, I'd gladly take that for a 2nd round pick. I guessing you like Madieu Williams, Reed Doughty, and a few more no names currently on our defense. I hope some of you realize we need MORE THAN ONE DEFENSIVE BACK in the draft.

Im tired of drafting fullbacks and wide outs early and 4th and 5th round db's and read posts about how some 5th round project should be "awesome" and come in and start. I been frequenting this board a long time. I remember the Robert McCune days. Can't we draft the good to great FOOTBALL PLAYERS. And I mean just that, guys that can play football. It's not always about 40 times and shuttle drills. Can you line up go butt-hole and elbow, five yards and a cloud of dust, and put a hat on a hat. That's the kind of guy I want and I think Tyrann Mathieu is going to be that type of player. DRAFT HIM!

I never said he was Ryan Clark. I said he has the potential to be an Ed Reed like, which I admit is a stretch, but you never know. But if he's ends up being Courtland Finnegan as the scouts are predicting, I'd gladly take that for a 2nd round pick. I guessing you like Madieu Williams, Reed Doughty, and a few more no names currently on our defense. I hope some of you realize we need MORE THAN ONE DEFENSIVE BACK in the draft.

Im tired of drafting fullbacks and wide outs early and 4th and 5th round db's and read posts about how some 5th round project should be "awesome" and come in and start. I been frequenting this board a long time. I remember the Robert McCune days. Can't we draft the good to great FOOTBALL PLAYERS. And I mean just that, guys that can play football. It's not always about 40 times and shuttle drills. Can you line up go butt-hole and elbow, five yards and a cloud of dust, and put a hat on a hat. That's the kind of guy I want and I think Tyrann Mathieu is going to be that type of player. DRAFT HIM!

And I bet you liked the "sign the big name" of the Vinny days.

Well let's sign you up for the scouting department then. We're drafting a real safety in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd probably. Neither is Mathieu.

Besides, if he's as good as you say he is, he'll be gone long before we pick

By the way, we've never drafted a fullback early. And Hankerson was a mid rounder.

:cool:

And I bet you liked the "sign the big name" of the Vinny days.

Well let's sign you up for the scouting department then. We're drafting a real safety in the 2nd and CB in the 3rd probably. Neither is Mathieu.

Besides, if he's as good as you say he is, he'll be gone long before we pick

No, I've been in the "lets draft like Pittsburgh or New England" camp for a long time. If we would've spent Dan's money wisely on multiple good players every year instead of all on one guy like Albert Haynesworth or Adam Archuletta or Bruce Smith or Deion Sanders or Mark Carrier or stating to cry now, (diversification) we wouldn't have been in the cellar for the last 2 decades. I honestly don't think he will be there when we pick, because he's a solid football player with potential to be great. But he's too good a prospect to pass on late 2nd round with the help we need on defense.

Nice video. You must be the one in the car. I always get the girl.......:cool:

No, I've been in the "lets draft like Pittsburgh or New England" camp for a long time. If we would've spent Dan's money wisely on multiple good players every year instead of all on one guy like Albert Haynesworth or Adam Archuletta or Bruce Smith or Deion Sanders or Mark Carrier or stating to cry now, (diversification) we wouldn't have been in the cellar for the last 2 decades. I honestly don't think he will be there when we pick, because he's a solid football player with potential to be great. But he's too good a prospect to pass on late 2nd round with the help we need on defense.

Even though there will be better players available?

There is too much talent in this draft at positions of need to be wasting high to mid round picks on players with so many questions marks. Im not entirely sure I would draft either of them at all.

And a previous poster said tyronne has great measurables

. Im not sure where that info came from. Also, we do have designated safety positions and tryonne is not a good comparison to ed reed purely on a size basis. I see him as a slot corner in the NFL.

I honestly believe Mathieu won't get drafted til the 4th round at the earliest, but more likely 5th. Look at what happened with Vontaze Burfict. If some team does take a chance on him, I'm gonna bet they will regret it. Personally, I don't want us to draft him at all. He's more hype than talent imo and he has drug and attitude problems. Why use a pick on such a high risk player when our needs are too great. Especially not in the 2nd. That's crazy talk and leans me to believe you are just trolling.

We are in dire need at the FS position. We do not currently have anyone healthy and active there to my knowledge. Who knows if Tanard will be reinstated and if he is, will he even be any good after having that much time off. I'm hoping we pickup someone in FA and in the draft, like Lynch and Rambo. Maybe even draft 2 FS types like Rambo and Swearinger. Heck, we drafted 2 QB's in one draft, why not 2 FS's. Turn a position of weakness into a strength.

As for Lattimore, haven't we already had enough injury prone RB's to last us a few decades. No thanks on him as well.

I am glad that none of you are the GM of this team because we would have another Vinny Cerrato doing the Draft and FA. In order to be a good GM or coach you have to know what type of personnel fits the system that you run and if they have the character that meshes well with other players. Lattimore will be a good back in the NFL but I think he is going to be gone before the third round. Mathieu has character issues and hasn't played in over a year. That is going to be an issue with him and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he doesn't get drafted due to that. I don't see either of them getting drafted by the Skins unless either of them drop to the Skins and they just can't pass up the chance to draft them as BPA. This is a deep CB and S draft this year so Mathieu is not considered even one of the top 5.

Rambo and the Honeybadger - 2 players getting way, way too much credit for having cool "names". There's such a deep draft at S and CB though, that I'm sure the FO will have better options and make better decisions with the 2nd round pick.

As for Lattimore, I'm rooting for him-a few years ago I thought he'd be the next big time back. BUT after all his injury concerns at a position where the Redskins can "plug n' play " a lot of backs- there's much better ways to spend virtually all of our picks...even a 7th rounder.

That's what being NNT'd is for. Why get worked up about someone else's mistakes? Sure way to die young ;p

Not really directed to you SWFL, some posters really come at threads like this with some vitriol, though. Like they are mods who have to deal with it. Maybe they enjoy the conflict, idk.

Although, by the same token....I'm not sure why this guy is so hellbent on convincing people he's not crazy. He freely admits to not having the time to do his own research, and basing his opinions on those of the NFL Network. Why defend borrowed opinions with such veracity? The human mind is quite the mystery.

Hi there?

True enough SP, I try to come at them with humore and maybe just enough sarcasm to edumacate. Sometimes the flock has to herd the sheep, sometimes God comes down and zapz them with lighting. I am sure God, a voluntary one is busy enough with bigger issues. But on the topic I think you nailed what bothered me about this thread, no real substance just conjecture and quoting the NFL network? wowz.

Wanna a good laugh......

What's on second.

I don't care who you are or when you were born. That is one of the all-time great comedy routines.

Absolutely, and if you pay attention to detail and the timing you can appreciate how great that really was. Can you imagine being in that theater at that time, you probably walked out saying, what did I just see? wow.

I doubt he'll be there later than the 2nd, I would bet 100 bucks he'll go first round, I'd say as high as 15.... And before the off field trouble he was projected a top 10 player at one time. The honey badger is the real deal between the lines people. I'm buying stock.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 12:25 AM ----------

No need to be condescending bro, as the risk reward factor is the reason I posted the thread. I'm sure some people thought the same thing about Willis Magahee after he shredded his knee and he recovered.

And yes I do have a copy of the Shanahan's draft board as Shanahan is my brother's cousin on my mother's side. We do secret Santa at Christmas.

His family has a copy of the draft board?!!? Shanny not as secretive as I thought.

In all seriousness, Mathieu is a good player but unless we can get him in the 5th or later he just isn't worth it. Character issues is something this team needs to avoid considering how many people on this team have gotten suspensions. Lattimore, same thing, unless we can get him 5th or later it just isn't worth it. I have doubts Mathieu being around after 3rd round let alone 5th, but where Lattimore goes I have no clue.

Fifth round is going to sound really late to a lot of people on this board, but it truly is the round where you can start to take fliers out on guys like these.

Mathieu was never a round one pick. . .he isn't that great of a cover corner. He's a bit of a ball hawk, but doesn't stick with recievers that well, doesn't have eleite speed, and is short. So best case he was a round 2 pick. Then he took a year off due to smokin' too much and you STILL want to draft him in the second round? No, his risk is too high, his ceiling is too low. Lattimore is from my favorite college team, but he was never super fast or even super shifty, good vision and acceleration. MAJOR injury concern, not just the knee, but the due was always banged up. So no to him aswell in the 4th. Honestly i wouldn't mind both players just back off your projections a bit

3rd Mathieu

5th Lattimore.

Agree with your assessment. But I'd rather not draft either of them. I'd rather take a safety in the 2nd, a WR in the 3rd and someone like Theo Riddick, Ray Graham, Rex Burkhead or Mike Gillislie in the 5th or 6th round at RB. I know Shanahan will take a RB, but honestly, I like Helu as the 3rd down back and I'd like us to continue to look at Tristan Davis.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 09:29 AM ----------

I doubt he'll be there later than the 2nd, I would bet 100 bucks he'll go first round, I'd say as high as 15.... And before the off field trouble he was projected a top 10 player at one time. The honey badger is the real deal between the lines people. I'm buying stock.

Not to be condescending, but if you believe he goes in the 1st round, you haven't been paying attention or the NFL Network is blowing smoke up the southern region.

Tyrann Mathieu is basically riding that stupid nickname of his to more hype than he's worth.

Thank goodness I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Tyran is an unbelievable talent. I have watched every LSU game for years. He has that it quality when going for the ball. His weakness is being short. He will be in great position and get thrown over his head. I would welcome the honey badger on the skins in a heart beat. The way the nfl is going for defense is you have to get turnovers. You cannot have a successful defense with the rules geared for the offense like they are unless you can sack the qb and take okay the ball.

I am glad that none of you are the GM of this team because we would have another Vinny Cerrato doing the Draft and FA. In order to be a good GM or coach you have to know what type of personnel fits the system that you run and if they have the character that meshes well with other players. Lattimore will be a good back in the NFL but I think he is going to be gone before the third round. Mathieu has character issues and hasn't played in over a year. That is going to be an issue with him and I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he doesn't get drafted due to that. I don't see either of them getting drafted by the Skins unless either of them drop to the Skins and they just can't pass up the chance to draft them as BPA. This is a deep CB and S draft this year so Mathieu is not considered even one of the top 5.

The comments that drive me nuts are the ones that start like this: "We should get (insert CB/S name here) in the 2nd round, then (insert another CB/S name here) in the 3rd round..."

Drafting by need is the quickest way to draft busts in the NFL. Needs get directly addressed in free agency. In the first round, because the talent level is really close among elite prospects, need can play a really small part (unless there is a QB need, of course) but after pick #12 or so that goes out the window. This FO has shown they are more concerned with guys that can actually make the team, so thankfully BPA is their philosophy.

Dude, I'm sitting here analyzing normally consolidated and over consolidated soils using Casagrande method while carrying on a football discussion. Also taking Hydraulics, Transportation, Structure Analysis, and Surveying. Also married with two kids and work. Excuse me If I don't have enough time to watch 20 hours of college film a week.

NFL Network all evening keeps me well enough informed to know and understand what's happening. Which is how I know who Tyrann Mathieu is and why I think he should be drafted by the Redskins if he is still there in the 2nd round. Whoever gets him will be happy they did and if we pass on him for some scrub fans will be moaning and griping at how we passed up on him and talking about how he was projected a first round talent, front office should be fired, blah, blah, blah. I hear it every year.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 02:11 AM ----------

You bet. Why else would you draft a player. A great nickname makes the man. RG3, Primetime, Meast, Megatron..... HONEY BADGERRRRRRRRRRRRR GROOOOWL........... RWRAAARRRRRRRRRR

I work full time, I'm married and I have a rental house to take care of. I don't watch 20 hours a week of college football tapes, but I think I'm informed enough to know there are at least a dozen secondary players to be drafted ahead of him. Also, using NFL Network is like using ESPN for your information. Both are competing for viewers and they will say anything to get you to watch. Research the scouting sites on the internet over BSPN or BFL Network (Both start with Bull btw). A nickname doesn't make the man. His play on the field does.

And who give a crap what some scrub fans think about who we select. IF someone complains about the FO not taking Mathieu and want them fired, then those scrub fans have ZERO football knowledge.

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 09:40 AM ----------

I realize we do not play cover two and understand the concept of single high, but I distinctly remember Haslett commenting on the responsibility of both safeties being able to adapt to the role of being the single high as the defensive call allows the defense to rotate or key on the strength of the offense without giving away the look. Now only few teams can actually get away with putting that kind of responsibility on the safety position, but we do. Maybe that's why we get toasted so much, but we expect either safety to back peddle and play the ball and not be Madieu Williams vs the Giants. I think Tyrann has shown that type of ability with the ball in the air, and could still play the monster man (underneath zone in the cover three) as we are usually in cover 3, D hall play man, NOOOO.

I think that was the Gregg Williams defense when we had Sean and LaRon where he said we don't have a FS or SS as both are interchangeable.

Rambo and the Honeybadger - 2 players getting way, way too much credit for having cool "names". There's such a deep draft at S and CB though, that I'm sure the FO will have better options and make better decisions with the 2nd round pick.

As for Lattimore, I'm rooting for him-a few years ago I thought he'd be the next big time back. BUT after all his injury concerns at a position where the Redskins can "plug n' play " a lot of backs- there's much better ways to spend virtually all of our picks...even a 7th rounder.

Seriously doubt Tyrann will go in the top 2 rounds... I agree about the nicknames... I think we'll draft BPA out of S, CB, RT, WR, and ILB

A new day and had a chance to sleep on this thread, and you know what? I FEEL EVEN BETTER ABOUT US DRAFTING THE HONEY BADGER!!!

A napoleon complex football player who only has a nose for the football and making tackles, sign me up. Like I keep saying, you can't get enough guys like that on your football team. If Belicheck or Pittsburgh drafts him everyone's going to talk about how great a pick it was. Getting great value and should come in with something to prove. I want us to be the team who starts getting that type of player.

All Tyrann does is make plays on the football. He forces fumbles, gets picks, and is a tackling machine. And no one is commenting on his return and special teams ability. Who is going to return kicks this year, remote control Brandon Banks?

Redskins should select Mathieu in the 2nd if he's still there. That is all. :cool:

---------- Post added April-5th-2013 at 04:13 PM ----------

What's truly hilarious is the same people snubbing a young feisty rookie are the same people drooling for the Antoine "where's my hurry-cane" Winfield. Dude's drawing social security and eats Hardee's breakfast every morning. HAHA.

Archived